'Big Bang Theory' and the bullies
December 9th, 2011

'Big Bang Theory' and the bullies

Thursday night's episode of "The Big Bang Theory" gave us a couple of big revelations, primarily the fact that Penny used to be a bully in high school (and now, of course, she is friends with the bullied).

We also met Leonard's No. 1 tormentor from high school, Jimmy. But after an unimpressive pitch for an invention, he ended up having to turn to Leonard for help, admitting that he was now the loser, and Leonard the winner.

Sheldon, of course, didn't trust Jimmy one iota (even suggesting killing him in his sleep – theoretically, of course).

Then, when Jimmy stayed the night and wouldn't go the next morning, Leonard stood up to him... and then he and Sheldon ran for their lives. Sheldon noted he only had to outrun Leonard in this scenario.

There was some potential here which wasn't quite realized, I have to say. On the other hand, I liked that Penny tried to make up for her past bullying ways, eventually giving clothes to the poor... well, before she and Amy ended up turning to a life of crime.

While the two were stealing clothes they found adorable from a charity bin, Amy admitted that she was looking forward to a possible future where they were cellmates.

Finally, Bernadette talked them out of it... but not before she took something for herself: "It's okay, I serve soup to poor people!"

Which of the two bullying-related plotlines did you enjoy more? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. Pearly Asp

Yes, Sheldon Cooper of the sitcom Big Bang Theory. Lots of us know about this character played by Jim Parsons. You could say that Sheldon is a classic example of a weird friend. Initially, I thought Sheldon was an alien from outer space. The way he behaves, his figurative mode of speech was unusual and seriously discrete. If you take a character analysis of Sheldon ways of living, mannerism, it could sometimes flabbergast you. Why? Because you have a person like his friends Leonard, Howard, and Rajesh have an extensive collection of superhero toys in which Flash is his favorite. Man! You will split into laughter, when you see in an episode where he dresses up as the Flash after drinking five cups of coffee. He gets so energized and intoxicated that he just speeds out of the apartment into the street in the Flash costume. –

Our favorite webpage
    <="http://www.caramoan.ph/caramoan-tour/

April 14, 2013 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Poldago

After the loss of 3 adult children, this show show allows us to laugh with the cast and life once again!
    Thanks

December 31, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jason

I don't think this show is funny. I work in the science field and there is some appeal to the show because the characters are RIGHT ON... these are the people I work with on a daily basis. But, I just don't think it's that funny.

How I Met Your Mother remains the gold standard for the modern sitcom.

December 27, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • SpockMom

Maybe the show isn't funny to you because the characters make you feel like you're still at work!

January 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jj

BBT is a bright spot on TV. But please keep it a comedy first and foremost, not social commentary. I liked it best when it was just the four guys and Penny.

December 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bonnie B.

Will someone sing, "Soft Kitty" now?

December 23, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. KanneM

I'm still wondering how all these Liberal bullies conceived the idea that ALL Conservatives adhere to a religion that denies science. It must be one of the mysteries we're still unravelling.

December 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SantaFeJack

A VERY funny show and Jim Parsons is an absolute find. Apparently, it's not for everyone (my sister just isn't into it) but I DVR multiple episodes just so I have a guaranteed 30 minutes of laughter available anytime of the day or night.

December 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SWE

I love this show – being a woman engineer in the 70s, those were the guys I dated!

December 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brian

Hello Robyn remember me?

December 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Boof

I watch this show to two reasons. First, it's funny and secondly, Kaley Cuoco is hot. The best of both worlds.

December 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott Cagle

I hurt in school on the inside and out. I was teased because of my quirky personality, my good grades, my hair, everything. I use to beg my mom to home school me. I matured late and got teased in the showers so bad that I started wetting my bed in my sleep. The nightmares where the worse, it mirrored school. I had girls go on fake dates with me only to embarrass me later. I got taped to a bench in my underwear and they carried the bench with me on it onto the football field, in December. It took two hours before someone heard me crying for help. I made the front page of the school paper. I still have nightmares to this very day.

December 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carl Banks

Yep we did. I remember making you wear an electrical tape thong. I bet you lost all your pubes taking that off.

December 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Scott Cagle

If your little story is true, well dude, you're a freaking wuss and it it's not, well, you're still a wuss for writing it. Hell, I'd duct tape your butt to a bench myself if I ever met you. WUSS!

December 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marla

Scott, so sorry to hear about your story. I had hoped your other responses would have been kind–not this disappointment. Best wishes for you, and I hope you can heal from the awful things that happened to you.

December 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morris

I'm sorry to hear that you endured some terrible things. I had similar experiences gowing up. Most people did. I can assure you though that these things have no bearing on you and your future. It only reflects poorly on the people who could do such things. I hated the high school communal shower thing. I was always the little guy in high school and I always thought that people were watching (like coaches). I always compared my shame being forced into the showers naked with that of the people being forced into the showers during WWII to be gassed. I guess I have a warped sense of humor. Now with the Penn State scandal I look back and know my feelings were not completely unfounded. I hope our educators re-think what they are doing to young people by subjecting them to this policy.

December 26, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. Crocky

I liked this past week's episode, but I'm disappointed that Jimmy didn't thoroughly see the light and Leonard and Sheldon were left running for their lives at the end of it...but then again, not all confrontations with your childhood bully work out the way we hope. I have learned to forgive the ones who made my childhood miserable, and although the whole experience left me a bit more resilient and able to handle a downturn in my fortunes a bit better, it still left a lot of pain as well.

The girls' storyline was hysterical, and I was happier with the outcome of that story...so this time, it's all about the ladies.

December 15, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Nathan

BAZINGA!!!!!! TBBT is very nice. I like xP.

December 15, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. Stephen

From the above show I sincerely liked the character of penny helping the poor people by giving them clothes.My first suggestion is to help the poor people by giving them food,clothes etc....this would help them.Thanks alot.

December 15, 2011 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. Club Fighter X

Word Up CNN, you want to moderhate my comments, well jam that ish right up your pee pipe baby, I don't need you whack hoes hatin' on me, I gots plenty of that up in the hood, dig?

December 13, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  16. Jim

Criticizing grammar and spelling in posts is considered bad internet etiquette.

December 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Perhaps the English majors do it so that people will learn from their mistakes. If someone isn't there to correct them, they'll remain ignorant their entire lives. We never stop learning.

December 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • English Major

Naw, it pretty much just pi$$es everyone off. That's why most of us just keep it to ourselves.

December 20, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  17. Toni

I love this show. It just keeps getting better. Every character has it's own unique personality that I can't help but love.

December 12, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  18. elizabeth

@cheesesteak ponder this: I'm a forensic crime lab tech AND a Catholic! It is possible to mix both. And I love Big Bang Theory!

December 12, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  19. Club Fighter X

Any updates??????

December 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Davo

Observer, please don't speak for us anymore. Sincerley, The Conservatives
    Jeff, The Grammer Police did that on purpose...
    Jurby Rules!!
    Love the Show, Still waiting for poor Sheldon to turn into a real boy...

December 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. glu

grammar police are needed an necessary, suck it up.

December 11, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • GP

"and" necessary.

December 12, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Juno

"glu

grammar police are needed an necessary, suck it up."

Grammar police are needed, for people like yourself.

– You didn't spell "and" correctly
      – Saying needed and necessary is redundant, try a thesaurus if you can find the time get off your high horse.

You just got lawyer-ed.

December 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sybil

Not my favorite episode. I really like those which feature Penny and Sheldon together like the one when he took her to the er.

December 11, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jessie

I thinks its time Penny caught a break. Enough of the airhead! Maybe her bff's can teach her a thing or two, then she can shoot a few zingers at Sheldon for a change.

December 10, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mBeth

I saw the episdoe and agree with Henry Hanks when he writes, "There was some potential here which wasn't quite realized" with Leonard's storyline. The show's writers could've ran with the concept of "Leonard's bully in HS is now the loser in life." Considering the attention that bullying is getting now. But, at the end, the bully is still the bully and Leonard is still "just a nerd/geek." It could've been funny to see the bully struggle with life and have Leonard be the "bigger person" and try to help him out. But, the fact that the show's characters were bullied in HS and now all have advanced degrees in science says something. I hope Penny's storyline of "being the bully in HS" is developed more. I like it a lot.

December 10, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • evandero

That story line's been done over and over. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the twist in the end when the buly turned out to still be a bully after the cliche reconciliation.

December 11, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Al

Many bullies DO remain bullies into adulthood. Yes,we all make poor decisions in our youth, but someone who's willing to truly torment someone in HS is still going to be a jerk 5 years later. That part struck me as the most realistic, rather than a past bully suddenly doing an about face and begging forgiveness. Have anyone else's past bullies gotten on their knees and apologized? I know none of mine have.

December 20, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jeff

To: Grammar Police: You are not so skilled in grammar from the looks of your post. Read below: "You must thrived"?

It's sad that you can't even comment with correct spelling.
    You must thrived in school with straight D's...

December 10, 2011 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
    • NerdBall Ha!

Yep, some of the people here DO need to check their own grammer and spelling... Slow Down a bit.... Ha, Ha, Ha.... I love the show...Some of it is a bit redundant with Penny's character... Hopefully, She will be allowed to be shown as a little smarter than she is right now... She and Sheldon actually get along pretty well... Maybe they'll get together.... Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha...... That would be a hoot! Ah Well..... I enjoy watching it. I don't really get the Adult Men or Women remaining Bullies bit. Hmmmmm????? Really????? It was funny schtikt (or however you spell that word?) Is that a word????? Ha! I NEED something to laugh about every day..... I'm a bit of a nerd myself....AND....wasn't unpopular.... I can really enjoy the humor of taking it all beyond the limits of reality..... Thanks!!!!!!

December 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  26. CheeseSteak

So they really want to ruin a fine show? Keep this crap up.

December 10, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  27. Mungo

I am a big fan of this show. The humour and quick wit continues to crackle through the show. I think all the characters need to develop more. I realise that Leonard and Sheldon are the primary catalysts however the other characters need to be allowed to flourish to ensure the laughter continues as it is there interactions with L+S that provides most of the humour. I think Penny's more feisty and independent side needs to be focussed on I love it when she is putting the boys ( particularly Sheldon) in their place.

December 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • CheeseSteak

I just want to know where I can get clothes like Howard wears

December 10, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
    • mejazzbo

Lots of room for spinoffs in the future. You can only do so much in a half hour show.

December 10, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  28. MPA

Love the show. Plot lines were both funny. However, I wanted to ask.... is anyone esle getting tired of Penny being repeatedly portrayed as promiscuous and a drunk? She started out as a sweet, funny, girl next door. Now she is contstantly drinking, (passing out playing Twister !!) and ending up in bed with Raj. It's as if they are turning her into a female Charlie Sheen character. Stop it please!!!

December 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • CheeseSteak

Live in LA for a while. This is a reality show.

December 10, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Agreed.

December 10, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
    • sean

Seems like her character is still having emotional problems with the break up with Leonard and seeing him with other girls. This can lead to heavy drinking.

December 11, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  29. jurby

Brilliant, hilarious, fantastic show. Should be renewed for multiple more years ASAP. One of the best show on TV unlike some of the truly ridiculous and stupid shows on tv these days (can anybody say 'Jersey Shore'???). Anybody who thinks this show is a ridiculous, stupid, liberal show is an idiot who obviously wouldn't know a funny show if he/she were hit over the head with one.

December 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • peacelah

Agree...this show is hilarious! Here is hoping to lots more seasons ahead. I was so excited for mayim balik to join the cast!

December 9, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • CheeseSteak

I want to be the meat in the middle of a Penny / Bernadette sandwich with Amy Farrah Fowler as the Cole Slaw.

December 10, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
    • NEnurse

BAZINGA!

December 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan

Seriously? This show is about as funny as a root canal. I give them props for dealing with bullying, but I've tried watching it and it just isn't funny.

December 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guapo

Stan doesn't get it...

December 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • deanlow39

@ stan What's the matter? They use big words, that you don't understand?

December 20, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  30. GG

You are crazy dudeeeeeeee...!!!! jijiji

December 9, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Grammar Police

It's sad that you can't even comment with correct spelling.

You must thrived in school with straight D's...

December 9, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. John W.

You, Observer, are officially the biggest moron on the internet. Never a positive thing from your trollish little keyboard rants. Congratulations. Your adoptive parents must be so proud of their little cellar-dweller.

December 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. CheeseSteak

Conservatives hate Science and intelligence. They are convinced there is a God that handles everything and he wants them to be stupid. Observer is a demonstration of this concept. I've asked my Liberal Senator to sponsor legislation to have Conservatives sterilized and sent to special camps in the Nevada where they will be forces to memorize the Periodic Table of Elements and Atheist literature.

December 10, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  34. AntiPalinAlaskan

Thanks for effectively admitting that conservatives like bullies and defend bullying as a concept. It makes sense that they would, since bullying is based almost entirely on punishing people for being in any different and conservatives, for all their talk of "freedom", don't really believe that anyone should have the freedom to be in any way unlike them.

December 11, 2011 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  35. Hollywood Reporter

One show that is about to be cancelled: http://youtu.be/jaIK8dqWxso

December 11, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  36. evandero

Honestly – I can't fathom how this is a liberal show. I'm genuinely curious. It's a show about nerdy scientsts.

December 11, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  37. NEnurse

Troll.

December 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Boes73

You're right. We should do a show about yourself – i.e. trolling the highway roads for dinner and how you are good at "ciphering".

December 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Robyn

Nancy, you gave me my chuckle for the day.

December 11, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. MarileeBob

I personally think it's a bit pathetic that you would let something so insignificant bother you, but hey, different strokes.

December 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  41. sherri

Grammar Police:

Have you ever considered that ALOT of people who comment may not type very well? Not everyone, especially adults, types at work or has an office job. Young people now (I'm a little old lady) are better typists than alot of adults because they do it all the time, learn and use it in school, to text, etc. Is there some better way you could spend your time, and be able to bully people while you're at it? Maybe hall monitor at a grade school??

December 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  42. MarileeBob

The generalization is that most conservatives are very religious, and therefore disagree with science. Since this is a show about science, it's liberal. The Big Bang didn't create the universe, God did-science is all 'hooey' that humans made up.

December 14, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Guapo

Man invented God out of fear of the unknown... Man wrote the bible.

December 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Kevin in Hope

You better hope there is no god, or that if there is one, he is very, very forgiving. The greatest wisdom in the universe is understanding what things we are not capable of understanding. Think about it. Of course, I could be mistaken, like you.

December 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Juno

Actually Sherri , its written as "A lot"

Not alot.

Alot is not a word, or anything at all. Has nothing to do with age or ability, all browsers have a spell check. Use it.

When you see the squiggly line underneath your word (Like I do now after typing your version of A lot) you know it's wrong.

December 22, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |