Seacrest may be in running for possible 'Today' spot
December 8th, 2011

Seacrest may be in running for possible 'Today' spot

Ryan Seacrest is among the busiest in the business thanks to his myriad hosting and production duties, and it sounds like he's being eyed for another job: That of co-anchor on "Today."

The Wall Street Journal pegs it as a possibility, as the paper reports that NBC is looking to Seacrest as a potential successor to Matt Lauer, should the anchor depart the morning show next year.

Lauer's been in the co-anchor spot on the program since 1997, and the paper notes that he's recently been hinting that he's thinking of departing.

According to the WSJ, Seacrest met with NBC execs on Tuesday to talk over the idea of him joining "Today." The paper cautions that these conversations are preliminary and vulnerable to breaking down, but that the E! and "American Idol" personality is a top choice.

Seacrest's contract with NBC Universal is said to expire in early 2012. His rep has declined to comment, and so has NBC.

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Lou

I hope it won't be Ryan I hope that Matt Lauer will stay with nbc

December 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JOEY

HE'S CONNECTED TO THE KARTRASHIANS..NOT A GOOD MOVE FOR NBC

December 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NO PLEASE NO.....

I'M SORRY BUT THIS IS THE RYAN WHO'S EXECUTIVE PRODUCER KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIAN'S RIGHT?
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAA

December 12, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. THIS IS TOO MUCH

I'M SORRY BUT THIS IS THE RYAN WHO'S EXECUTIVE PRODUCER TO THE KARDASHIANS RIGHT?
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAA

December 12, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hot Carl

Hey Ryan, gobble man spackle much? A little throat yogurt maybe? Some cocque-snot perhaps?

December 11, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. justwrong1

Please No!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stop the torture !!!!!!!!!!!
    He's Not Manly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yuke, Yuke & Ewwww!

December 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Beth DuMont

They have already diminished the Today Show with Ann Curry who is so boring, Ryan will lead to demise of the show. How about Willie Geist? Smart, personable and not "Sappy." Then replace Ann with Savannah or Natalie.

Dave Garroway has to be flippin' in his grave!

December 9, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Vin Dicated

I wouldn't count on Seacrest being able point out Anaheim on a map, let alone Afghanistan. Poor line of thinking, NBC.

December 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Christy

I can't even imagine this transition. Ryan is alllll entertainment. I can't begin to think of him sitting across some of the hard-hitters in politics and try to have a conversation about the economy, foreign affairs, etc. It took Meredith Viera a VERY long time to get used to having those kinds of conversations. I can't imagine it to be easy, especially if that's not your type of journalism. Keep Ryan where he is. The Today Show will lose a lot of viewers if this he is Matt's replacement. I can't imagine why NBC wouldn't look at Lester Holt as Matt's replacement.

December 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Diana

NOOOOOO!! I will quit watching the Today show if Ryan gets the job. Ryan makes the hair on the back of my neck stand-up. There's just something creepy about him. This show has slipped a bit over time and even more with Meredith gone but it's still my favorite morning show. If Ryan gets a job here, I'll start watching GMA or my local morning show.

Bring on Lester Holt as Matt's replacement. He's intelligent, personable and connects with the viewer,

December 9, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. GetReal

I used to like Seacrest – I don't remember why. He's dripping with greed and smarm and ego. I never was a huge fan of Lauer but this is a definite step DOWN.

December 9, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cynthia

Ryan? How could they? He is the dullest personality on television. Brainless and sooooo boring. I would abandon the Today show if they brought him on board.

December 9, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. WCW

Today show continues its sad decline. It began when they let Ann Curry take over Meredith Viera's spot as co-anchor. I think Matt's leaving to save himself from AC. The woman couldn't even "read" the news well. Saying her name without tripping up is difficult on most days. Now in the lead spot and actually have her interview intelligent guests??? What should be simple, direct questions becomes a long winded attempt to cover up her own insecurities. Please Ann, let your guests speak and you be quiet!!! Give Natalie Morales the co-anchor spot. Matt might stay and you won't need Ryan Seacrest bc if that happens...buh bye Today show!

December 9, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. lucy2

I can't stand Seacrest, and if this is true, that will be the end of me watching the Today Show.

December 9, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. JP

Agree, agree, agree-I don't watch the Today show much anymore it's been so dumbed down in recent years. The addition of Seacrest would mean I wouldn't watch it at all. Does NBC think we are all idiots that really care what these manufactured celebrities say and do?

December 9, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  16. MH

Arghh.. I just don't get the fascination with Ryan. He's such an obnoxious little troll:(

December 9, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  17. gina

he doesn't have the personality for that position and he does not deliver the new..he delivers hollywood gossip that's not really the "news"

December 9, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  18. LMR

Oh why not? These morning shows are all about entertainment now than they are about the news so Seacrest will fit right in. I haven't watched any of those shows for years anyway, so I couldn't care less.

December 9, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  19. BRAM

My husband and I were just discussing how much more we enjoy Steve Jones (X Factor host) compare to Idol host Ryan Seacrest. Seacrest is creepy; unintelligent (about things besides celebrity) and abrasive.

December 9, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  20. robert Zuckschwerdt

I don't watch Today, Matt Laurer, is the most arrogant host Today has ever had, anyone would be better!

December 9, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  21. lojenk

December 9, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  22. saftgek

What? Who the H _ _ L is Ryan Seacrest? Probably another in a long line of "wannabees" from the ranks of the silly-as_ _ d "reality television."

Matt Lauer would leave extremely difficult shoes to fill. Someone with a great deal of legitimate personality, communication skills and appeal to the masses would be required. Whatever a Ryan Seacrest is, methinks it is not anything/anyone with any measure of legitimate talent.

My goodness, how our society sucks!

December 8, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jackson

NO WAY!!! If Ryan comes in he will be bringing those trashing Kardashian playthings he created for E! right along with him for even more exposure. Sorry NBC... If Ryan comes in it will be good bye Today and hello Headline News with Robin Meade

December 8, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Carol

Ryan Seacrest would end my watching Today. Some of the show has become mindless (9-10 Hr) if Seacrest was stuffed down our throats that would add mindless to the entire show. BAD IDEA NBC!!

December 8, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Non-Kard

This is the man responsible for jamming hours and hours of mindless TV down our throats. He is behind those imbecile Kardashians and many other E! crappy shows highlighting the lives of the brainless and vapid. NBC better think twice – he may be popular in certain arenas, but he will alienate most if not all of NBC's audience. DO BETTER NBC. Or your whole audience will be gone. Your network is now affiliated with E! due to the Comcast/Universal merger, but this little egomaniac will not help you in any way. BAD IDEA on so many levels.

December 8, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. streetheat

Hey NBC! Sorry but your out to lunch on that Seacrest idea. Lester Holt gets my vote. He and Ann would team up well.

December 8, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Hot Carl

Seacrest takes it in the seat. He squats on pork swords. He drinks manspackle shakes. He takes it in the crapper till he spits corn.

December 8, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  28. kay

Seacrest is probably a very nice guy, but not up for the job. This job would take someone with far more intellect and someone you could take seriously.

December 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. bernadette

Why would NBC choose Seacrest? I will not watch it if he takes Lauer's place. That would be like Justin Bieber taking Brian Williams' spot! BAD idea!

December 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Mike in Montana

Talk about a bad choice.. There are hundreds of talented people out there, that would be a better choice than Ryan Seacrest. NBC must be really hurting or the people at the top, are completely lost. The other networks are probably laughing their heads off, with this choice. Mike in Montana

December 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Beautiful Vixen

Does he ever sleep. He is all over the place. I can't see him for this.

December 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Odin

there is both truth and beauty in this question

the truth is I don't know

the beauty is I don't care

peace, love and speed

December 8, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Juan from L.A.

Seacrest is the worst of the worst. Like some has mentioned he is the boss of the Kardashians. The most viled and worthless family in America. But here is the deal, he is a big deal in E (the Kardashian channel) but NBC is its owner. So no matter what you say unfortunately NBC will hire this crap. But hey by all means contact NBC if you have a strong gripe about this.

December 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Tim

well, I'm guessing that the majority of the viewers of the Today Show are women, and women enjoy listening to gay men on TV, so this should work.

December 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  35. M Evans

Matt Lauer is the class act on the today show. Savannah Guthry should have a larger role as Matt's co-anchor. Ann should be only used on special assignments.

December 8, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sharon Carlson

Doesn't really matter who replaces him, but it is time for Matt to go. I am so tired of his bias toward the GOP! Love Ann...

December 8, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jj

two words: God no !

December 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Norma

HEY NBC!!! ARE YOU LISTENING TO THE MASSES?!?!?! WE DON'T WANT TO SEE RYAN SEACREST REPLACE MATT LAUER (if and when that day comes)!!! THE TODAY SHOW HAS BEEN #1 IN THE RATINGS FOR MORNING NEWS SHOWS FOR A LONG TIME-DO YOU REALLY WANT TO SEE IT SLIP AWAY??? If Matt leaves, my suggestions are: 1) Lester Holt–he's done Weekend Today and weekends of Nightly News. Has he not proven himself to your satisfaction? He has in our eyes. If you don't want Lester, then put Willie Geist in Matt's chair. He's very capable of doing the job, too. PLEASE THINK ABOUT THIS BEFORE YOU MAKE A MISTAKE THAT WILL BE DIFFICULT TO REVERSE WITHOUT MAKING YOURSELVES LOOK FOOLISH!!!

December 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Usher73

That would be the show's last step into the gutter.

December 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

NBC is toast. They haven't had a decent hit in years. They think by bringing some snappy Hollywood reporter/game show host/radio host in, he will bring a younger, fresher audience. If this is the kind of audience NBC strives for (i.e. Kardashian fans, reality show freaks, and celeb gossipmongers), then I think you can stick a fork in NBC. He is a smug, conceited, arrogant jerk. Other than knowing the latest scoop on Lindsay and Paris, where is his credibility!!! Maybe for an occasional celeb update but as a full time anchor?? NO WAY. See ya, NBC.

December 8, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  40. PamelaP12

Goodness, I hope not!

December 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  41. hope120

thats when it will be time to change the channel

December 8, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  42. hope120

thats when it will be time to change channels

December 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Caddolakeguy

Seriously, WHO CARES!!!

December 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. openminded19

He is a goofy game show type host. Today show? Oh well, maybe he will change. But most likely not.

December 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tim in Evans, GA

PLEASE say it isn't so! I agree wtih so many comments about Seacrest – he is fake, disingenuous, smug, and how can anyone ever take him seriously. Ann Curry will have HIM for breakfast. If this really happens, I also will NEVER watch the Today Show again. I can't even imagine turning on the TV at 7 am to look at his face. Yuck!

December 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Restapler

What! This is a news show, not an entertainment gig. Hire an intelligent newscaster, not some idiot flash in the pan.

December 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. zoe

Steady on..!

December 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Rlg

If Seacrest does do the morning show, does that mean he'll drag the Kardashian's with him? We've seen enough of all of them to last more than several lifetimes!

December 8, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Festus McGhee

What has this man ever done of any value?

December 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  50. the Måd Råp3r

Seacrest is so deep in the closet he's in Narnia. Zach Braff and him should just come out already

December 8, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Merdi

I watch the today show every morning. If Seacrest gets hired I will no longer watch. He is the image of everything wrong with tv today..... Just look, he is the ex producer of the Kardashians

December 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Susan

Who "anointed" Ryan Seacrest? He the "go to" guy for most of the hosting jobs out there now. He's boring, one dimensional and just not very intelligent. He is "cute" sure, probably. But his abilities as a host and radio personality peaked with American Idol. It's been downhill since. Please.. NO, to his hosting the Today Show. I'll never watch again. I thought Anne Curry was a bad choice, but this takes the cake.

December 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. kena nelson

Have yall about lester holt! If you havnt , you need to!yall use him to fill in!

December 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Festerfree

No. No. No. No. No. I gave up on Today a long time ago, I'm watching the Early Show now. But still, HE IS NOT A JOURNALIST! It's bad enough that what passes as "news" is merely "info-tainment" – this will put the nail in the coffin of any NBC journalistic integrity!

December 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Frost

Good Choice!

December 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Golden Moral

I would like to suggest the presenter of Wheel of Fortune to replace Matt

December 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  57. JD

I will stop watching Today Show if Ryan Seacrest joins the hosts.

December 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Oliver

How about a man from India, the ones who are crossing Rio Grand Illegally, there are many of them comming via Texas border illegally and taking jobs at CNN.

December 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Liz

Matt Lauer cannot be replaced. If he leaves in addition to Meredith Vieira, it will be time for this viewer to move along.

In my opinion they were (are) the main strengths of the show.

December 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Marilyn

Isn't there any one else in broadcasting other than this egomaniac? He already has umpteen jobs. Give someone else a chance!!!!!!!

December 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Gina

If Seacrest take over for Matt Lauer, I'm out. I will never watch the Today Show again.

December 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  62. BC

Seacrest has a daily radio show in L.A., and he can barely converse with entertainers because he has nothing interesting to say. How could he possibly interact with intelligent newsmakers? He needs scripts to say anything interesting!

December 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  63. pkb from MN

I just got one word for this idea. YUCK!

December 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Ken from FL

Matt Lauer leaving? Perhaps he'll move to California. That would raise the IQ in both that state and at 30 Rock.

December 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  65. S. Jones

What a horrible idea! I'll be changing morning shows if this happens.

December 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  66. warren

RYan seacrest can give me a bj!

December 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mammy

I'd totally blow him.

December 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Julianne Hough

I'm only dating him because he's such a nice guy that won't do anything to hurt me. It also helps that he loves men and not women. He'll come out when I'm ready to move on... so don't worry guys... I'll be back on the market!!!

December 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  69. MJ

He'd be a great addition to the Today show just as long as he doesn't bring Kim K. with him.

December 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  70. j

Seacrest doesn't have the credibility and likeability that Lauer has. Seacrest is a bit slick. Look again NBC.

December 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • sue

Lauer is boring and looks bored himself...Seacrest..no way...its gotta be somebody with energy

December 12, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  71. Gorkpallo

bring back Dave Garraway and J. Fred Muggs.

December 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Daphne

I think he'd be better suited to fill Regis' empty spot. I don't watch the Today show, but Good Morning America has turned into an "Entertainment Tonight" type of show, I feel bad for George Stephanopolous LOL it's all celebrity stuff and the news anchor hamming it up, giggling while reporting on dead soldiers, horrifying. Ryan can't do much worse.

December 8, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

Now, THERE'S an idea, Daphne. Hire one complete loser to replace another. One annoying, self-absorbed no-talent person to take the reins from another cut from the same cloth!

Sheeesh!

December 8, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Fluff

This job would eat someone like Seacrest alive. He definitely doesn't have what it takes. It's too time consuming for someone with as many jobs as he's working, and he wouldn't be able to do any of the ones in LA anymore also resulting in a major salary cut. All the traveling around to different parts of the world, sitting down to interview world leaders who could probably have him killed if he said the wrong thing to them, having serious interviews with our politicians here (not the fun laid back ones he's done before). All those people would tear him apart in an interview. This kind of job requires serious dedication and many hours of in depth research on topics, which he probably wouldn't have time to do if he didn't drop all his other jobs. The anchors of these shows spend almost their entire days in the studio getting everything together for each show. He's just not the right material for something like this. He can stick to his entertainment hosting gigs, but this is not the job for someone clean cut and Hollywood manufactured like him. I agree with everyone saying they should pick someone like Lester, he's been filling in for years and is familiar with the concept of serious journalism along with the show. I hope these talks are just to bring him in as some kind of corespondent who makes occasional appearances, not a full time anchor job.

December 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mike

Go away already please. Your trash shows are killing the brain power of future generations. You profit off of the most shallow subjects. You are the worst kind of filth. And worst of all you think you are great and providing a needed service. Go away. Stay away you Glamor Queen jerk

December 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  75. susan

I couldn't stand him on american idol and won't watch Today anymore if he is on it. He is faker than a Barbie doll!

December 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

Susan – thank you for clarifying where Ryan Seacrest originated in the public eye. Now, I fully understand. Mr. Seacrest has history with, arguably, the most illegitimate example of today's TV in a generation.

Yes, by all means, give Ryan Seacrest the job. We certainly need another mindless host for the masses of mindless viewers who make so-called "reality TV" so popular.

Let us all mourn "The Dumbing Down of the USA!"

December 9, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  76. Tony

The "Today" show has become a dog & pony show, not really news at all, I find myself going to a real new show after about 8:30. It was bad enough with Hoda & Kathy Lee and now the Star Jones, Donnie Duetch and the Dr. piece has pushed my last button. Get back to news, we have enough fashion show channels.

December 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Will

I can see it now, Seacreast interviewing Benjamin Netanyahu; the first question out of Seacrest's mouth will be, "so, who are you wearing?" OMG !!!

December 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Miguel

Ryan got too much on his plate - Please leave the Today show off your resume !!!

December 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Dean

Yuck

December 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  80. precious jah

This guy s so not news ready!!!!!

December 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Cheeze-Mo

Noooo Matt Noooo Don't leave me!

December 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Will

This begs the question; how much money is enough money? RS has made MILLIONS on top of MILLIONS from AI, E! and other endeavors, dude, take a vacation. We could use one ourselves. FROM YOU!

December 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  83. I'mJust Sayin'

Maybe he could team up again with Paula Abdul to take Natalie Morales's place. Octomom could take Ann Curry's place. I am sure they could find a place for the squawky woman from 'So You Think You Can Dance.' Jeff Probst could do the weather.

December 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  84. eeeewwww

@Denny Ann's boring as hell.

December 8, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Michelle

This would be a ,sad sad day for journalism. The day he starts is the day I start watching Good Morning America!

December 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Scott

As long as he is only on shows I don't watch I could care less.

December 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Patty

I smell envy. Give Seacrest a break. I think he will do great.

December 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

Ryan Seacrest is a pretender to the entertainment world, at best. No intelligent, objective-thinking viewer can look at the so-called "stars" of today and give them any measure of credibility.

Let us hope and pray our society will soon experience an epiphany that will re-active their brains. Then, and only then, will the trash that is TV today actually disappear.

December 9, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  88. Mary

When Lauer leaves I'm done with the Today Show

Mary – Out

December 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  89. newyorkjsw@verizon.net

his ego is way to big, he is a good host I saw him take on larry king live BUT he is not a great interviewer/host.
    he will fail or leave if u get the gig within only 1 year.

December 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  90. patty

Another reason not to watch the Today show, first Ann Curry who is nauseating with her maudlin voice and now this guy?! Good Morning America will be my exclusive show from now on.

December 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  91. r e mccray

RIP ... This is the end of The Today Show. Bad enough they have Kathi Lee on there, it's turning into Entertainment Tonight. Sad ... Good Morning America seems to be beefing up its news vs. fluff segments. Teach American in the morning, educate your viewers. Seapod is not a reporter or an educator ... he's an entertainer.

December 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony C

If Seacrest takes over I'll be switching to the Early Show; I love Erica Hill. She's a real journalist.

December 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  92. @Mrbluiis

I agree with you. @the rest Seacrest might surprise all you ppl. He is not a stupid as you make him out to be. Doomed before he has a chance.

December 8, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Joe

hmm.. never heard of him.

December 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  94. meg

This has to be a joke! It will completely tarnish the Today Show's image if Ryan ends up sitting next to Ann in the morning.

December 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Mrbluiis

I think he's good at what he does. I think he's a great replacement for Dick Clark. Great for the music industry and hosting New Years Eve shows but I want an established journalist to report my news.

December 8, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  96. John

Is Mario Lopez replacing Regis Philbin? Thats the question! . p a p a r a z z i n c . c o m

December 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  97. MJ

Please say it ain't so NBC. I agree with Shirley, Willie Geist would be a much better choice.

December 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Patrick

Lester Holt!!!!! I friggin hate Ryan Seacrest.....Been a Today Show viewer for over 20 years. I'll never watch another minute of it the day Seacrest takes over, what is supposed to be a serious journalistic position....

December 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  99. jinda

I'd wake up to look at him every morning!!

December 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Shirley

Willie Geist should replace Matt. No doubt about it. He's got the personality and the smarts for the job!

December 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Max

No, no, no!!!!! I cannot even picture Seacrest with Curry, this is the worst idea ever. We want to keep Matt Lauer.

December 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Katherine

POOR CHOICE. Very poor. I will watch another morning news show with journalists that I feel more "comfortable" with in the information they are giving. Really now, is Ryan the best you can do? seriously now. Your ratings will tank if average viewers like me that appreciate the know how of real journalists are forced to listen and view a "host" like Ryan. He's a host, this is what he does, he is not news material.

December 8, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Marcia

Whenever Ryan comes to the Today show then I will definitely watch another network....

December 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Nisha

He's such a likeable guy and looks totally comfortable in front of a camera. Not to mention he is candy to the eye!!!

December 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  105. not a fan

Who cares?

December 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pats

lol agree with this post..who really cares? I'm at work when the Today show is on anyway. The rare times I have caught it it's barely news anyway..who cares? Watch something else

December 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Pats

I take it your work time is being well spent... seeing your comment on a CNN blog.

December 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Charles

He should replace Ann Curry. She is the most annoying person on morning television.

December 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  107. GDI

Why would he take a pay cut for less exposure?

December 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Theresa

If Lester doesn't get it, I'll never watch it again. I can't bear it that much now with Ann.

December 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Ganan

That would be my last day to watch the Today show. Seacrest is a JOKE.

December 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Gary

Count me OUT!

December 8, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Marco

This is great news for Good Morning America! So long, Today! Good Morning, Good Morning America!

December 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan - Canada

I switched to GMA when Meredith Viera left the Today show....I don't think anyone would take the Today show seriously should he come on board.

December 8, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  112. SFede

And when that happens, I will definately not be watching the Today show any longer! Lauer is a journalist! Seacrest is ??? not even sure!

December 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Gina

Has NBC really forgotten their Debra Norville fiasco? "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Seacrest will be the new Norville, fans will revolt and they'll be forced to scramble and re-cast the position. He's not substantial enough for the heavier aspects of that job, like interviewing world leaders and covering real news. And frankly, he's the last person most of us want to see first thing in the morning. Spare us, NBC!

December 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  114. GonzoG

Please, No.

The Today Show is BARELY a news show now. If they keep heading in this direction they'll be a re-hash of a 1970's Variety show with skits, song and dance, and comedians with performing pandas.

December 8, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Please don't do it

Ann Curry and Ryan Seacrest? In the words of Whitney Houston, "hell to the no..." I will switch to Good Morning America.

December 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • mona

please.... 1- take anne curry off my mornings...she is in your face & very, very annoying especially in th am...bring meriedith ... i miss her so much & love, love matt lauer- will not watch anymore...just about to stop... ryan seacrest just got lucky who cares?

December 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  116. TodayFan

The day Seacrest goes to the Today Show is the last day I watch the Today Show. Matt Lauer is smart, urbane and can stand up to Tom Cruise AND Newt Gingrich. Seacrest is just looking for the next place to showboat. Go HOME!

December 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Lori

That is ridiculous. I would rather have Willie Geist!

December 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Tirza Mitlak

Can NBC be serious about hiring Ryan Seacrest for the TODAY show? Say it ain't so. He is so without content, compared to Matt Lauer.

December 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Phyllis Lucchini

You have got to be kidding. Im an avid Today Show watcher, and would never take Ryan Seacrest serious.
    Say it isn't so. Guess I'll be tuning out..

December 8, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  120. Ian

LOL this guy is a buffoon not a news anchor.

December 8, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  121. sue

i can't figure out his fame either....he doesn't exactly have this magnetic personality.

December 8, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  122. LauerFan

If made, this will be a decision (to approve Seacrest) that NBC will regret for a long time. I, too, will start watching GMA after watching Today for most of my life.

December 8, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  123. annie

this is gotta be a joke...

December 8, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  124. Will Stop Watching!

Worst idea ever! CBS I will be watching your morning show if that happens.

December 8, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  125. luv

Please tell me this is a joke???!! If this happens, I'll never watch the show again. ever.

December 8, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  126. Will Stopwatching

No way! I will stop watching your morning and evening news immediately!!!!! Horrible idea!!!!! I can't believe this is even being considered. You would be better off running a blank screen for the time this guy would take up!

December 8, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  127. Will Not Watch

If he does, I will not watch.

December 8, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  128. SCC

I want a real newsman....I vote for Lester Holt!

December 8, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  129. erich2112x

Do you really have to be a serious journalist to co-anchor the today show? Come on now. Seacrest would be perfect for the job. Heck, I could do it.

December 8, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  130. Moe from Tennessee

Awwww Hell naw!!!! Bye Bye today Show.. if this happens

December 8, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  131. Rick Yescas

Matt Lauer, good riddance. Go away ! A serious journalist? C'mon now! He babysits your dead minds. He amuses! One needs not use their brain with him. The opposite of muse. To use your brain.

December 8, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Talisha

OMG. And it WILL be with Seacrest? He's the definition of 'no brainer'.

December 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  132. BG

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

December 8, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  133. R

should a journalist be put in this position?

December 8, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  134. ART

To luckjoe Obama has a job and will have one after 2012 for four more years, come on who is gonna replace him those nit wits/clowns running on the other side? I dont think so.

December 8, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  135. The Måd Råp3r

So are there Mods on here now? I noticed Toms comments vanished rather quickly.

December 8, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  136. ATLChick

Terrible decision. Bring in a current anchor like Lester Holt, Chris Hansen or someone else from the current NBC family, just like Ann taking Meredith's position. I've been watching the Today Show each morning since college and Ryan Seacrest will be the reason I start watching GMA or listening to the radio while getting ready for work.

December 8, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • HopeNot

I so agree and either of those you mentioned would not be a total shake up or shock to the show as Seacrest would be.

December 8, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • TWT

I watch VH1 from 7 – 7:30

December 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denny

Pick Lester Holt for sure!! People that have put in their time! It will be hard for me to watch Ryan Seacrest or take him serious as a journalist.

December 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  137. luckjoe

Obama is going to be looking for a job, maybe he BS his way on Today show.

December 8, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack from Tennessee

You're funny... Have you seen the Republican candidates? Bozo could win GOP primary over those tools

December 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • HA

and yet Bozo not only could probably beat Obama, he couldn't do any worse as president...

December 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • whocares

Obama will be re-elected as opposed to any of the next cast of DWTS aka Repubs. Stay on topic dummy. Sounds like you should apply luckjoe. You vs Seacrest. Now go back to Fake Fox News where you belong. We have Seacrest to make fun of, you're distracting us..:)

December 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  138. not so fast

Ryan will always be this generations "Dick Clark" and he should be proud of that. IMO he should stay clear of any daily morning show.

December 8, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

"This generation's Dick Clark!?!" With respect, that is the most unbelievable comment I've seen posted on any website in a very long time.

There has been, and likely will never be, another icon like Dick Clark. I do not understand how a person of intellect and objective, informed thought could utter such tripe!

December 9, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  139. Leigh

Oh HELL NO !!
    WE are so incredibly sick of Ryan...he's everywhere and he's sooo "manufactured" with the perfect hair, the perfect teeth, the perfect smile... oh it's so tiresome! Please keep him to the radio and let it be.
    There are so many great talented personable reporters you could choose from – think about it !!!
    DON'T DO IT !!!!

December 8, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  140. Alex

God, I wish not
    he is wrong person,
    what's wrong with NBC,are they stoooopid to think about Seacrest.

December 8, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  141. JPX

Ryan Seacrest's fame baffles me. I am unable to think of a more plastic, fake, disingenuous individual. His smug smile and over-pronounciation of every word makes me want to punch a baby.

December 8, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  142. bender

slow day in hollywood land. maybe lindsay will get arrested again.

December 8, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  143. Observer

Oh for the love of God, NO!
    Does this idiot do anything other than stand around and grin like an idiot???

December 8, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  144. Brad

So, would that make him the first gay host of a network morning news show????? Come out, come out Ryan.........

December 8, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Actually that's not true there was one on MNBC, I think his name was Thomas Roberts, and then there's Don Lemon on Sat mornings on CNN

December 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claire

Very tired. The jealous dude calling a good-looking guy with good hair gay.

December 9, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  145. HH

Sure, Lauer used to be an entertainment reporter and segued into hard news. He's become adept at being the attack dog, armed with plenty of facts. But is Seacrest really a journalist of that caliber, or just a brilliant host? There's nothing wrong with being a brilliant host. Rarely do you find that on TV. Have you watched Nick Lachey try to get through his TelePrompter text on The Sing-Off, or Carson Daly flub lines on 'The Voice'? Live TV isn't an easy gig, and Seacrest has become the a mixture of Dick Clark and the lighter side of Larry King. But Seacrest should stop himself before jumping on the 'Today' train. He's not trained to interrogate heads of state.

December 8, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Seriously?!? You consider Lauer a journalist? I'm not even sure NBC has journalists any more in this new infotainment world. Seems like putting Seacrest in would be the next logical step...

December 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  146. @k

Game show host-lol !

December 8, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  147. mejazzbo

Anyone over another British, Canadian, Aussie or Indian national spinning us negative American News.

December 8, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Moonraker

I believe you are referring to FOX news.

December 8, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Lois

I so agree. I love Great Britain...Been to London six different times. BUT give our TV back to the Americans. So tired of listing to different accents as MC's or judges on shows.

December 8, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

well when they find an intelligent american maybe they will

December 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  148. K

He's a game show host not a serious journalist. Get real! What a horrible idea.

December 8, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • The Man who brought us the Kartrashians...

This is the idiot behind the Kartrashian's. Reality TV is his forte and he has made more off of dumbing down shows. Why put him on a news show..if it isn't tabloid central trash..he wouldn't know it if it bit him in the you know what...

December 8, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Lee65

I think it's a terrible idea too – but I wouldn't classify Matt Lauer as a "serious journalist".

December 8, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Hazel

And, what was Lauer before he joined the Today Show? He hosted a local entertainment show in Rhode Island. I don't watch the Today show because I can't stand Matt Lauer. I will tune in now (sometimes) no matter who replaces him.

December 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norm Hill

Actually, Pat Sajak has better credentials than Seahorse in that he was a serious journalist when he was younger and had a half decent late night show on CBS..But he was up against Leno at his peak and Letterman.

December 8, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vanilla Gorilla

You are dead on. Seacrest at his limited best is an empty suit. If he gets the gig I'll never watch the Today Show again.
      The TS is approaching new levels of mediocrity. Al Roger and Seacrest together would be a great weight loss combo in the morning – you would toss your breakfast immediately. And probably lose all interest in food until mid afternoon.

December 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  149. eeeewwww

That is so wrong on so many levels.

December 8, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Murray

If the guy thinks that he can do it....why not try. He's already successful in the spotlight so this will be a piece of cake.

December 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

OH! I hope not, I can't stand this little weasel.

December 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

If this arrogant weasel is Matt Lauer's replacement I'll never watch the Today show again.

December 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shocked in Dothan

NBC could start him off on a Monday with
      where in the world is Ryan Seacrest and then leave him there wherever there is....how about trying a deposed Arab leader there are plenty around

December 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terri

@Kate: I'm with you 100%. Good Morning America is looking better and better...

December 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • westward

Matt Lauer is not right on so many levels as well.

December 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Helen

Please NOOOOOOOOO, Ryan is to boring and not the same league as Matt Lauer, it will be an insult to our intelligence if Ryan Secreast replace Matt. Please, nooooooooooooo.

December 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elo

Seacrest to replace Lauer?....plop!!!
      Good Bye Today show!!!!

December 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • I hate Politicians!

That little loser is the person who brought us the Kardashians. For that reason alone he loses whatever credibility he had to do anything right.

December 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Golden Moral

my vote goes to the Wheel of Fortune guy...

December 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MAC

Great! (not) lets just dumb down the media a little further.....

I remember when the today show was actually good.

December 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • fullofshat

I so agree with you, when does asking a celebrity there favorite color put you in the ranks for interviewing presidents ,,,,,,pleeeeez

December 8, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • fullofshat

Seacrest - OUT

December 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Why? It would be refreshing.

December 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

NBC........Dumbing down............ Ryan is all about Showbiz... Matt has substance

December 8, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • adam

@ Golden Moral: You were probably joking but actually Pat Sajak is very worldly, a college grad, and has experience in news reporting, as well as talk show. He could actually be a very good candidate.

December 9, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Claire

I like RS. He's quick, he's funny. OK, news-wise, I'm not sure about his background... at this point, can't see him interviewing world leaders. But have you watched Today lately? Maybe Meredith was keeping Matt in line, but since her departure he's been nothing but rude and snarky with Ann and his other co-hosts.

December 9, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |