Merry 'Express Christmas' from 'Modern Family'
December 8th, 2011

Merry 'Express Christmas' from 'Modern Family'

Leave it to Phil Dunphy to come up with "Express Christmas." (TM!)

Wednesday night's episode (for the second episode in a row) saw the entire clan pitching in to pull off a big family holiday, since none of them were going to be together for Christmas after that day.

They all went out in (somewhat unlikely) pairs, and it's quite a testament to the strength of this ensemble that any combination of characters works.

Take Alex and Mitchell, for example. It was never more clear how much the two have in common. They reacted the same way to their Christmas tree getting run over (by Gloria, no less).

Then there was Cam and Jay ("kind of sounds like a bird," said Cam). It was inspired to put these two together, wrapping the gifts. Unfortunately for Cam, Jay forgot the significance of a wine bottle cork (the two watched football the first time drinking that wine), and Cam was offended.

Yes, this "Express Christmas" didn't exactly go off without a hitch, but I have to give the MVP of the week to Haley, who impersonated a Target employee to get her hands on the last remaining item on the shelf (don't try this at home, kids). I also loved Claire's shopping pep talk for Haley.

But I would be remiss not mentioning the fact that Manny tased Phil.

Let me repeat that: Manny tased Phil (he used Gloria's stun gun, fearing a "stranger" whom Phil was meeting to get a treasured baseball card). Definitely one of the best physical comedy moments of the season.

Of course, everyone had a merry "Express Christmas" after all, because Jay, the old softie, gave them fake snow in his front yard.

I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see what 2012 brings for this show. Did you enjoy it as well? Share your iReport like Kathi Cordsen did or comment below.

1. Beefburger

The only reason this show survives is because of the hot Latina. It would probably have a more mainstream following if it wasn't for the fudge-packing ballchins.

December 29, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rick in L.A.

There is not a better, funnier show on TV. Every episode is excellent. Eric Stonestreet has the best lines ever! ( "How much fun is THAT handbag!") Only the Bill O'Reilly show is funnier, and that's not on purpose.
    Anybody who doesn't 'get ' Modern Family needs some serious social education. Best sit-com since "Seinfeld".

December 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anona Muss

Phil – Mint condition BZZ good condition BZZ fair condition BZZ garbage.
    Jay – I just got my present (on hearing his ex-wife can't visit)
    Gloria – Luke?
    Luke – I am.

December 9, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSKZ9f5Au3k&w=640&h=390]

December 9, 2011 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jamie

Hands down the best comedy to be on the airwaves since Mary
    Tyler Moore! . Express Christmas was magnificent!

December 9, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. glenda

I'm lost as to why this show is such a hit.

December 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Observer

Two words:

Liberal.
    Garbage.

December 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

What makes it liberal exactly? It's a series about a family unit that celebrates being there for each other. According to those Conservative yahoos that's exactly what they stand for. Or is it liberal because it includes a happy, gay couple and Latin characters?

Three words" get a life.

December 8, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dakota

Observer....WOW ive seen you on 2 different comment boards now and you have said the EXACT same thing on both. Are you a bot created by Donald Trump to spew more nonsense or are you just so pathetic that you have to get on cnn entertainment of all things and shout out garbage that you arent willing to back up once youve posted it? You are a disgrace.
      Having said that...I LOVE Modern Family!! They are the family I wish to have one day, I tell my fiance all the time that the 2 of us will be Phil and Claire when were older. haha. Also just for OBSERVER...I love Big Bang Theory as well.... So Suck It!!

December 12, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Blah111

The episode was pretty boring and unfunny but Haley in a bikini was awesome

December 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. be quiet

I love Modern Family, and I've seen every episode; but I have to say, this was the weakest episode of the series so far...which is rare, because it's usually awesome.

December 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tree

for dinner they'll be eating buckets of lard . fat ppl are gross. the killing of america – – fat

December 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |