TNT orders pilot from Dr. Sanjay Gupta, David E. Kelley
December 7th, 2011

TNT orders pilot from Dr. Sanjay Gupta, David E. Kelley

One of the nation’s most famous doctors has teamed up with an A-list TV producer to create a new medical drama.

TNT has ordered a pilot from David E. Kelley (“Chicago Hope,” “Ally McBeal”) and CNN chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Kelley wrote the pilot for “Chelsea General,” a dramatic hospital series based on Gupta’s upcoming novel “Monday Mornings.”

Fans of fare like “Grey’s Anatomy” should enjoy the show, which centers on five surgeons dealing with professional and personal issues.

“'Chelsea General' promises to be a smart, witty and extremely powerful medical drama, the kind of series David E. Kelley is renowned for making,” Michael Wright, the executive vice president head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies, said in a statement. “We look forward to working with David and Sanjay in bringing the doctors’ fascinating stories and characters to television.”

Both Kelley and Gupta will executive produce the series. Gupta's "Monday Mornings" arrives next March.

1. black hats

It's actually a great and useful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

March 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. w maclean

I love Dr.Sanjay Gupta. If I ever needed a Dr. I would hope it would be him, he's smart very down to earth.

December 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. straghtplease

I don't want to get sick from this gay AIDShole.

December 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • iconoclast

My my, aren't we displaying our ignorance today? I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that probably applies to you, it said: "I hope the fetus you save turns out gay!"

December 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tati Santiago

aren't. We Lucky  that we. Have. Freedom of speech. Rben. Idiot racists.....

December 8, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • erich2112x

We also have writing classes that you might want to look into.

December 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Frank Smith

God, do we need another sorry attempt at a medical show? We need this like we need another police show or heaven forbid another reality piece of garbage. I thought David E. Kelly was smarter than that.

December 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. erich2112x

Gupta is extremely manipulative.

December 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Reed Fuller

Isn't this guy the guy from American Idol? I thought his sister was better anyway. He seemed awfully young to be a doctor but maybe that's how they do over there in India.

December 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • hannah01

Do your research, moron, before you put fingers to keys. Dr. Gupta was born in my home state of Michigan and graduated from the University of Michigan.

December 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tammyheral

hopefully it will show that docs are humans like the rest of us. and give different options on how to deal with our own health problems.

December 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joka

Just what we need today – another glitzy, fake show about the health care industry.

December 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malavaina

Do we need another singing show?
      Do we need another dancing show?
      Do we need another drama show?
      How about an animal show?

December 8, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marie

I am so excited. I can't wait to see the series premiere.

December 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Robert Vaughn

Let's recap this... A guy on TV that none of you have ever met is going to be involved with a TV show and you have a problem with him because his name is Sanjay Gupta. His name isn't American enough? What is American? Last time I checked American wasn't a culture or a nationality that would elude to a person's race or creed. Also, what makes him a liberal? I have never seen him do or say anything political OTHER than respectfully decline to take on the job of Surgeon General. He works multiple jobs and helps people... What a liberal. I wish just once that these neoconservative idiots that hate everything would break down the word "liberal" which contains the root word "liber" which comes from Latin and means FREE. I thought that's why we were all American... Because we want to be FREE. Neoconservatism seeks to establish a Christian-based state that would parallel other religious states like Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc. Now we all know how much Neoconservatives hate places like that... Just makes it even more ironic.

The preceding opinion was written by a free man who in his personal life is a married father of 3. I am an atheist, but want a country where you are free to believe. I am pro-life but want women to be able to choose what to do with their bodies. I am straight, but believe in gay marriage. I could go on, but I won't. I believe that just because I don't, wouldn't, and shouldn't do certain things that it doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to. We are all American, we should all be LIBER-al since we all enjoy freedom.

December 8, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. emerica

I'd reckon tom sawyer's about an american name as we done got. Let's just call all the doctors tom sawyer when they're doctorin us up. Plus everyone knows the united states was founded by the american dinosaur before the native americans came along.

December 8, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. kyle

Those indian fellers may have been here first but I sure don't need em doctorin all over town! Get outta here obamer no legislatin in MY backyard!!!

December 8, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. the toothbrush

I, for one, grow tired of doctors with unamerican names.

December 8, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • the toothpaste

North America was primarily inhabited by Native Americans and the United States was "founded" by Europeans... That being said, what is your idea of an American name?

December 8, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • chinaman03

william wong, freddy chen

December 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • mdn

Unfortunaately for you, most of the people named Jim Bob and Bubba didn't make it our of high school. As America gets dumber, thanks to more people with your thoughts, you should expect to see a greater influx of foreign doctors. Either that or we could do as the Rethughlicans say and let the dumb and poor perish.

December 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Name* Yu Jus Estupid

I, for one, love Dr Sanjay Gupta and have a lot of respect for the man.
    I am looking forward to the series premiere and hope that it will be on the air a long time.
    Happy holidays to all.

December 8, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

My concern is for his family. This guy does all these shows for cnn, writes books, appears endlessly on talk shows, travels around the world, and is a practicing neurosurgeon. Now he wants to help produce a tv show? COMON. Spend a few seconds of quality time with your family?

I bet they see him for a hour a week, twice a month. Sad.

December 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Right Michael, because you know about his family. Who are you to say anything? For all you know, he does most of his work from home. I hate seeing know-it-alls on the internet trying to act holier than thou against everyone. Don't make assumptions about things you know absolutely nothing about.

December 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dick Bacon

Lame clone. Who watches this crap?

December 8, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dennish

OH GREAT! I cant wait-another piece of liberal biased programming coming our way. Im sure it will be garbage...cant wait NOT to watch Dr Sucha Glupta

December 8, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

What a bitter guy, you must have high blood pressure. I love how you conservatives think everything on TV is biased towards liberals(which is true to some standard). Gupta is a nice person something you probably know nothing about. We liberals actually care to help out people some times and arn't ragging wolves trying to scour the last piece of meat.

December 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mfkasper

Actually the liberal bias in media is a myth, fostered by the conservatives to hide the fact that the majority of media is biased in the other direction. Look at radio stations.. the vast majority of talk shows are conservatives. Faux news is bigger then cnn and radically republican/conservative.

Ive learned that when conservatives tell you to look in one direction, you look in the opposite direction, cause that is where the truth is.

December 8, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Nemesh

Actually, I am SO excited (sarcasm) that we get yet another medical drama! Add 2 more cop dramas and we will be set for another 5 years of WORTHLESS TV! Someone, ANYONE in Hollywood...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come up with an original idea! I know I am asking a lot here....

December 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Zeus

Second arrgggg

December 8, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  19. portalpunk

F
    I
    R
    S
    T
    Y
    !

December 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea Kelly

This is wonderful, sign me up to watch.Please make sure that the surgeons don't do everything because in the real
      world there are other departments that they are waiting on and consulting with despite public awareness. The republicans need not watch , god forbid they would have an increased knowledge base. Andrea

December 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |