Jolie on 'Blood and Honey': Couldn't have done it without my cast
December 6th, 2011

Jolie on 'Blood and Honey': Couldn't have done it without my cast

Angelina Jolie says it was a shift to go from being the star to the director for her film "In the Land of Blood and Honey," but it sounds like the actress has taken to it well.

It was "great not to be in front of the camera," she said in an interview with "Nightline," but acknowledged that also being the screenwriter carried a new burden.

"When you're an actress, you use somebody else's words and you can always blame the director and the director can say the editor," Jolie says. "But the writer is the one that kind of sits alone in the room and writes what they think is funny, important, historical and topical."

The film is a drama centered on the Bosnian war of the early '90s with two central players being a Serbian soldier who re-encounters a Bosnian woman he'd had a romance with when she's imprisoned in a concentration camp.

Jolie explained that she wanted to take on such a difficult topic because "the important thing is to discuss and tackle [it]," she says in the "Nightline" interview, adding, "we felt this is a war that isn't talked about enough."

"I was thinking and meditating on these international themes of violence against women, lack of intervention and how human beings are changed and warped by war, and how some people come out stronger and some people are truly broken, " she went on.

The award-winning actress also ensured she had a local cast, all of whom she now counts as friends.

She told CNN at the New York premiere of "In the Land of Blood and Honey" Monday, "The cast allowed me learn about their conflict. I wanted to do a film that dealt with universal themes, [and] I couldn’t do it without people from all sides of the conflict. The cast is so brave and talented, [and] I get to be with my friends tonight, feeling nervous but very excited for the world to meet them."

However, Jolie's directorial presentation isn't without controversy: one author is alleging that she ripped him off.

In a lawsuit filed Friday, Croatian journalist James J. Braddock alleges that the plot of the 36-year-old director's "Blood and Honey" infringes on his 2007 book, "The Soul Shattering," reports Entertainment Weekly.

The writer outlines a reported four similarities between his text and Jolie's film, including the theme of a love story taking place in Bosnia and Herzegovina during war times in the early '90s; a main female character of half-Muslim, Croatian descent; a plot line that finds the main female character being captured and held in a Serbian-controlled concentration camp; as well as a main male character torn between his love for the main female character and his role in the military.

According to EW, Braddock wants statutory damages and an injunction on "In the Land of Blood and Honey," which will open on December 23.

1. marcus

she has aged ..shes no jen aniston that's for sure. fresh, beautfiful.she looks all washed up and exhausted...please....

December 9, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. digit

She jus an old goth wannabe bi lez hoe wit a pack of strays..

December 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Get it?

I really don't get some of these comments..don't you kiddo's have tweets and such for such babbling?
    This lady, by the way is awesome in spirit. Like most of us, she was a bit lost when she was younger, but she has come a long way. I am grateful that she is in this world and trying to use her fame and fortune to help others rather than party her life away. And thank you Angelina for attempting to bring enlightenment to those ( judging by the inane comments) that need it so desperately. Wake up world and look for what is of true importance and worth.

December 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. engr tina

go on you my lady and am proud of you doing well with your profession.well that a new profession all together,you will always have my support.girl, because i love women doing extra ordinary profession just like me. sail on.

December 7, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marita

Awesome Angelina....she is an inspiration as a mother, actress, goodwill Ambassador and now a director. Brad is a very lucky man and those kids are certainly going to be more interesting than any Hollywood Karadashion clone. Enjoy reading about this very sweet family.

December 6, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. santa

unemployed? need jeans? x.x.x..x elast!c wa!st jeans. @target – cheap and reasonable pr!ces. buy 2 pa!rs for $3.00. great store for fat umemployed lard azze$. uncle sam do cares. fat !s a s!ckness. taxes deductable

December 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. elf

I was lucky and got to do some christmas shopping today. Just gift certificates to a local restaurant. After work I need to go get new jeans and a shirt. Hoperfully then I wont look too much like a homeless hobo. We hope yall are having good luck this christmas season.

December 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tom

I'd like to show her my 9 incher.

December 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mrs. Claus

I'd watch the movie then decide how she did as a director. If she did good, maybe I'll give her some cookies!

December 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |