December 5th, 2011

Herman Cain quotes 'Pokémon' on his way out

As Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain suspends his bid amidst allegations of sexual harassment and an affair, he leaves us with an entertainment-related (and, to some, probably entertaining) news nugget.

On Saturday, Cain announced that he was suspending his campaign for the GOP presidential nomination, and his parting words included a quote from an unlikely source: A song from “Pokémon: The Movie 2000.”

The former CEO of Godfather's Pizza said this weekend as he has previously during his campaign, "Life can be a challenge, life can seem impossible, it's never easy when there is so much on the line. But you and I can make a difference.”

According to GQ, he's previously attributed the quote to "a poet."

In an interview with the men's magazine for its December issue, Cain said he'd heard the quote during the 2000 Olympics before he was informed of the real source behind his words: the lyrics from the “Pokémon” movie's theme song, "The Power of One," sung by Donna Summer.

Cain also cleared up the citation during this weekend's announcement: "I believe these words came from the Pokémon movie,” he said, noting, “the media pointed that out."

Cain continued, "I’m not sure who the original author is, so don’t go write an article about the poem. But it says a lot about where I am - where I am with my wife and my family, and where we are as a nation.”

Cain then delivered his favorite Pokémon quote again.

1. visit my site

This is very interesting, You are an overly skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to in quest of extra of your fantastic post. Additionally, I've shared your site in my social networks

September 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Adrian

Why can't he use a Pokemon quote, like it actually sounded pretty authentic and his intentions were good.
    Not to mention his response after learning it was from the Pokemon movie was actually very graceful and kind-hearted and genuine.

I'd rather a President who quotes based on personal preference rather then one who only uses old over used Presidential quotes.

don't look down upon those who are different because likelyhood is they are also the people who created the things that you love, Steve Jobs, Thomas Edison, and Abraham Lincoln were all strange in their own right but they brought innovation to this nation.

July 26, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Taylorv Shannahd

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your site is very cool. I'm impressed by the details that you’ve on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched everywhere and just couldn't come across. What an ideal web-site.

July 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 3 PCs

I enjoy, result in I discovered exactly what I was having a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

April 14, 2012 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. to draw stuff

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to mention that I've really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I'll be subscribing for your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

April 9, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff

THIS IS REALLY FUNNY!!!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWUedxkXqpA&w=640&h=390]

December 11, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Thak Kid

I think he might want to be the very best. like no one ever was.

December 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dill

I think it takes a true American to quote Pokemon.

December 9, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Depends on who you are

But he put his pokeballs where they didn't belong ;)

December 8, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chitown Jason

Pikachu for President!!! He'll just use lightning attack on Congress!

December 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RayquazaKing

H. Cain should put on a pikachu costume for his speeches.

December 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Elayne

I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause! Pokemon is too cool for Cain.

December 7, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Julia

Does it really matter where he got the qoute? I quote anime all the time and I don't have people all up in my business. You all have to take nothing and turn into something. This is why I hate people.

December 7, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. carson dockery

P.S.S. Cain i voted for you im sorry you didnt become president

December 6, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. carson dockery

I really do not think he did any thing wrong its a cartoon its not like they will sue him for saying somthing similar to pokemon. i didnt here any thing similar anyway. P.S. POKEMON ROCKS!!!!!!!

December 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. GOPokemon

How could he not use a Team Rocket quote? "Mr. Cain, why are you running for president?" "To protect the world from devastation, to unite all peoples within our nation..."

December 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elayne

More appropriately for Cain would be: To denounce the evils of truth and love.
      haha

Surrender now or prepare to fight!
      or
      Jynx, I choose you! (google a pic of Jynx to see his next victim of harrassment.)

December 7, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

To extend our reach to the stars above

(Im so gay)

December 7, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  17. Rope

You can't make this &*%# up.

December 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. derp

He though "Gotta catch em all" referred to white women.

December 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. weirddisneyworld

This guy was a hateful, neanderthal s.o.b. He didn't deserve to be president, just like the idiots Santorum and Perry. They should be the next to go. Keep digging up that dirt!

December 6, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. jamon

Lol Peek ah boo

December 6, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  21. Scott.T

This guy is such an ass. Why have we become a nation that even allows morons like this to make it so far?

December 6, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  22. Art Vandolay

Poking moms? Isn't tbat what got him in this mess to beging with???

December 6, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. Joshua

I see what you were trying to do but only obama and biden can get away with stuff like this.

December 6, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. BigRed

This man references a movie intended for children as the closing remark of his short political career. Truly amazing. With all the great orators, presidents, people of honor, thinkers, theologians, and great writers that the world has produced, Herman Cain chooses a line from a cartoon. It is astounding that certain people in this nation seek out the wealthiest lowest common denominator to become their leaders. Let us all pray that he doesn't become a vice presidential choice.

December 6, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  25. JC

It all makes sense now. Remember how brock used to get all worked up around any female? I sense a connection here

December 6, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. RW

Technically, no worse than Biden's plaguristic exploits? (Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for me!)

December 6, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jonas Polsky

Getting stronger.

December 6, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  28. Ash Ketchum

I choose you, Herman Cain! He has my vote.

December 6, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jerry

God.. I can't believe people go through great lengths just to know were he got that quote.. and to think it would come from Pokemon.

December 6, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  30. troubled

Time is flying by and we can't get any candidates with true vision for turning this country around that are electable. What is wrong? In a country of a half billion people you'd think we'd find better choices! Oi Vey!

December 6, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  31. tirona

i know who im voting for

December 6, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  32. @FlopFlipper

Hey, wasn't Barney arrested a few years back, come to think of it?

December 6, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  33. bjn72

now it makes sense why he got the secert service protection. he was afraid his wife would find out about what he was doing and needed them to protect him from her.

December 6, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  34. bjn72

why was he wearing sun glasses on saturday. did his wife punch him in the eye and he had to cover up his black eye. i just hope his wife didnt hit him where it really hurt

December 6, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  35. Art Vandolay

At least Herm can now go back to womanizing-at-will. Enjoy bud. -Art

December 5, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. BigWillieStyles

What ever. As long as he's gone. So long Sleep-n-Eat. Good riddance to a deluded fool.

December 5, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Merg Terglement

Pokemoiglementery.

December 5, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ash

He's got my vote... Pokemon quotes are the best... Yours truly Poke Fan #2

December 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Heath

I don't know of my message was sent so i'll send it again:

Cain is now my hero.

From an eternal Pokemon fan.

December 5, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Joshua

You already humuliated yourself please don't butcher pokemon.

December 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  41. nerp

Ha, this is fun.

December 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  42. naygie

an old man his age can't even call on a real quote. He's a shameless man. Feel for his wife, who at this stage in life, must keep looking at his ugly face.

December 5, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Gabriel

If it's a good quote, who cares where it's from?

December 5, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kristin

Some have quoted pokemon, others have quoted the bible. Its all the same to me.

December 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Rayetwolf

Herman Cain was a joke, much like Herman Munster.

December 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. us1776

Pokemon sues Cain for defamation of character.

December 5, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  47. clearfog

I thought Cain was the Pokerman.

December 5, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Snoot

Better than quoting Marx and Engels, I suppose.

December 5, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rayetwolf

Nothing wrong with Marx, he just wrote a philosophy pertaining to society (It might even be good if people were basically honest). Capitalism is horrid in it's own way and generally rewards dishonest people. Do you think Billionaires actually got all that money honestly without cheating, screwing and taking advantage of other people.

December 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Icon0clast

People with no money still cheat, screw others over, and take advantage of people, whats your point?

December 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigRed

At least Marx and Engels had original ideas. More then I can say for anyone in the Republican Party and the TP'ers.

December 6, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  49. Jupman

Next time quote a real anime staring a real man.

believe in the me that believes in you...No....believe in the you that believes in you.(Kamina)

December 5, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Chardman

Mr. Cain, please sign your divorce papers and join Mrs. Palins and enjoy the Russian sun rises. You crew enough in this lower 48 states.

December 5, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sonic10158

I watched the Pokemon movie he quoted back in 2000. (I was 7 back then)

Life can be a Challenge
    Life can seem impossible
    It's never easy when so much is all for lost

The Power of One
    Begins with believing
    It starts in the heart
    and flows through the soul
    and changes the world

It doesn't matter how much you believe
    when we stand in unity
    etc.

Too bad he didn't quote the Weird Al song that played after the one he quoted

December 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  52. bob

Some people quote Voltaire, some quote Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln, some even quote Jesus Christ and Karl Marx. And then there are the Republican candidates....

December 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • RayetWolf

How can you quote Jesus, when nothing he said was recorded. Everything in the bible about him was made up. There is no writings by jesus and there is no recoded sayings by jesus from any contemporary people. No, you don't have to take it on faith.

December 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Bob

Heavy. They have a page for stuff like that in the Readers Digest.

December 5, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  54. bajadelmar

It's not surprising at all that he watches kiddie cartoons. I'm sure him and DUHbya could make a day of it.

December 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Obelisk the Tormentor

Now is Obelisk the Tormentor a member of the current administration or a name for the media at large. Come to think of it the current administration would best be served with the moniker of Obelisk the Administrator. Anyone who knows these names is either very sick or has a grandson who has Yugio cards.

December 5, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Chris

None of you know nothing of anything...It doesnt matter who we put in the white house. It's up to us as Americans to make this country change – That's Right! YOU and the 99% hold all the real power and you fail to realize it. Stand up and take your country back and stop complaining. Do something, NOW, before it fades away.

December 5, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. John_peter

I hated the moment he gave racist comments against muslims and saying everything israel does is right.He was hypocrite and deserved what he got.He cheated on wife .

December 5, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Icon0clast

Pulled out your jump to conclusions mat for that one didn't ya buddy? I'd love to see the proof you seem to see that is with out a shadow of a doubt that he actually did anything. I'm sure those fine representations of media-whoring women weren't lying at all.

December 5, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • mlgpro Get@me

ya and ur ugly

December 7, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  58. Phattee

GOP is a joke.

December 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  59. FlopFlipper

Cain's other favorite poets include Sponge Bob Square Pants and Barney the Lovable Purple Dinosaur.

December 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  60. James PDX

That quote is nothing but a bunch of meaningless rhetoric. STFU, already.

December 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice for President. Just say it 3 times and I'll be there!

December 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  62. KANYE WEST!!!

Yo, Herman. I'm really happy for you, Imma let you finish but Ash Ketchum is one of the best Pokemon Trainers of all time. One of the best trainers of all time!

December 5, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Reggie from LA

So Mr Cain's disclaimer is that "...the Pokemon movie. The media pointed that out...so don't go writing an article about the poem". This has been my problem with Mr Cain. He qualifies his comments then tells us not to argue the points or merits of what he will say. So, "the media brought him down". The media gets paid to report. They can be a bitter pill to swallow, but we can't just dumb them down because they appear unpleasant or unfair. We can't say "don't go saying". It's what they do.

December 5, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheWordMaster

Well, I really don't see the problem. He didn't say anything controversial, he just gave a quote that happened to be from a video-game movie. Nothing wrong with that-the movies are pretty decent anyways. I mean, it's better than what most kids watch these days.

December 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Klukey

He just wanted to be the very best.....like no one ever was.

December 5, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • mlgpro Get@me

to catch them is his real test, to train them is his cause

December 7, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  65. Johnjon

I think a quote form Ricky Ricardo is appropriate................ "Ei yi yi yi yi!"

December 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  66. svann

So can Fox quit it about hollywood being all liberal now that pokemon has been proven to be right-wing?
    (kidding!)

December 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Word

Quoting Pokemon is the same as quoting the Bible

No difference

December 5, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  68. sparky

quotes pokemon, tax code from simcity – who was his running mate luigi?

December 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Dan

Cain suspended his campaign so he could get to the cleaners and pick up his clown suit.

December 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  70. @derp

Good one! lmao!!!

December 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. derp

Looks like he put his cain where it didn't belong.

Pikachu gonna whoop his a ss.

December 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • mlgpro Get@me

everyone knows raichu is better. god ur such a newb, i bet you use golbat

December 7, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  72. Judas

Looks like Team Rocket foiled Cain's plans on capturing taxpayer's wallets with his pokeballs.

December 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  73. blindy

Pokenon black white sounds cool. I need to try it.

December 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Snarky

Neo-Con, I choose you!

December 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Ron Paul

Look like Mr. Cain was trying to do the poke-chick with some of his old girlfriends.

December 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Anonymous

Would rather have a Pokémon fan for a potential presidential candidate, than the GinGRI(N)CH that stole America.

December 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Beyonce is not pregnant

I heard through the grapevine his favorite Pokemon are Lopunny, Jynx, and Gardevoir.

Google them if you don't know what they are. Notice a pattern? ;)

December 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Juno

Not surprising, considering Pokemon is seething with occultism and prophecies. The plots of some of the latter games (Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky, Pokemon Black/White, Pokemon Platinum) revolve around the formation and destruction of a new world order ran by a crazy tyrant – both spinning replicas of the Biblical book of Revelation. In Pokemon Black/White there's even a temple built for the Egyptian sungod Ra. Plus there's a shrine for a Shinto fertility god . I don't know why such things would be in a children's game, but for goodness sake, none if it is surprising.

Hermain Cain quoting such an occult source is not surprising either. That being said, Pokemon is addicting as heck.

December 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheWordMaster

Wow...either you have NEVER played pokemon, or you're just trying to sound like a smartass.

I play Pokemon Black, and there is NO TEMPLE OR SHRINE DEDICATED TO ANY RELIGION. The shrine you say is "for a Shinto Fertility goddess" is total crud- it's a freaking cabin where farmers place offerings so that the Pokemon Landorous rains on their fields.

Either get your facts straight or shut the heck up before you turn everyone into over-protective mothers.

December 5, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daws

How is bible reflecting...occult?

December 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

oc·cult   [uh-kuhlt, ok-uhlt] adjective
      1. of or pertaining to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies.

Jesus and God use magic to do impossible, supernatural things, like answering prayers and turning water into wine. Thus, Christianity is occult. Just sayin'.

December 5, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • digit

Jeff: pronounced doosh wad, aka tea bagger. To love watching lavern and shirley p orn, to wear helmet whilst licking window, to frolick in mums dress thru the walmart...

December 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Well ya know

All of his big lines were stolen. "I'm the koch brothers brother from another mother". one of the rush hour movies. his big 999 plan came from a video game. this was all a big scam to promote him & his books.

December 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  80. RagingCelt

Sad the best cadidate is an avid Pokemon viewer. Not that there's anything wrong with that! We all swing a certain way if you know what I mean. Sad, though, the other contestants in this sick game show can't offer anything of substance. Sorry to see you go Mr. Cain. Too bad you can't take the rest of the lot with you to give us a decent candidate. Newt Gingrich? Really? Sheesh.

December 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mlgpro Get@me

na-uh chicka, u be gay holmes. only people who love the sausage (if u kno what i mean) hate pokemon

December 7, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  81. imbicile

I wanted to vote for Ron Paul or him. They seem ok, maybe.

December 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Observer

Not really. I had every intention of voting for him. He's the best candidate for president hands down.

December 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sparky

you're an imbecile

December 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaos

A guy who didn't know that China had nukes for > 40 years and had no clue if he agreed with a policy to go to war with Libya's Quadaffi even after it was all over is the "hands down" best choice? You really are an imbecile.

December 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaos

or just a troll it seems after looking at your other postings.

December 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ FAKE Observer + Real Observer

Face it. You couldn't catch Mew and didn't know how so you were hoping this guy would solve your problems. Well too bad!!!

December 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

Huh?

December 5, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoAnMi

You all should calm down. Observer is comparing him to the other candidates!

December 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • nicole

shut up sparky

December 6, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Fookin' Prawn

You are just the silliest little comedian everywhere you go, aren't you.

December 6, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Observer

He's a Neocon Stooge. We are better off without him.

December 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Superhiro

Lol, gotta catch 'em all.

December 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

XD +1

When asked why he was running for President, Cain replied, "It's about you, it's about me, it's about hopes, it's about dreams. It's about friends that work together to claim their destiny! It's about reaching for the stars, having the courage and willing to try! It's about never givin' up, so hold your head up ...and we will carry on!"

December 5, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

What's funny is that this apparently isn't the first time he's quoted Pokemon. I read on Joystiq that he not only quoted the movies and songs but that they're also quoted on his website and attributed to other people.

December 5, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • osufan

I'd have lost it if his response to why he wanted to be president started with "I want to be the very best..."

December 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Måd Råp3r

I think he touched one too many Bulbasaurs who didn't want to be captured

December 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |