Could 'Dexter' end with season 8?
December 5th, 2011

Could 'Dexter' end with season 8?

Serial killer drama “Dexter” has been renewed for two more seasons, but that could be all fans will get out of the series.

Showtime president David Nevins has told Entertainment Weekly that while this could change, "everybody is operating under [the] assumption" that seasons 7 and 8 will constitute the end of “Dexter.”

Additionally, a storyline is already being crafted to be carried out during those next two seasons.

"There’s things that are going to happen [this season] that will set up a very clear endgame that will take two seasons to tell," Nevins told EW on Thursday.

“Coming back for two more years gives us clarity about how and when it will go out,” the TV exec explained.

Nevins developed and produced the hit show “Friday Night Lights,” and said that a similar timeline helped end the series successfully.

“Having that definitiveness always helps,” he noted. “We were able to plot very clearly. It’s rare to have that degree of certainty.”

Seasons 7 and 8 will include the standard 12 episodes. Catch season 6 on Sundays at 9 p.m. on Showtime.

1. pntwps

I am too disappoint after hearing that Dexter 8 is the last season of the this series...

June 24, 2013 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kris

I love, dexter I would missed it go. And I hope it continue because I would missed it if it finish just like that. Dexter it's been one of the most tele series's for me. I don't care what anybody says about these series. This is one off the most hit show for me..

December 20, 2012 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Seacode

I was dissapponted when I heard about season 8. I thought ending the series with 7 seasons is great before ruinning the beauty of the show. If you think that the book should be closed after 8 chapters, then please make sure dexter get killed! It's more justice than seeing him get caught.

December 11, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tina

I'd sure hate for this show to end. But if it must, PLEASE just don't let Dexter get caught. Let him be the one that got away. Or he could be killed off while he's trying to off someone else. I guess that would be some kind of justice. But they BOTH die. Don't want anyone getting away with killing my Dexter.

December 6, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • inachu

Jeff lindsay stole Dexter from me because he had writers block back in 1997.

October 7, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

I want this to be a tragedy. Dexter needs to be caught and exposed. That'd be great TV.

December 6, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kay Clark

I will hate to see it end. I have watched from the beginning. I was a huge fan of the Dexter books and was so happy when I saw that Showtime was producing it. I think each season has been great in its own way. Please don't let it end with him getting caught, that would just ruin it for me. I don't want his sister or son to have to live with that.

December 6, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. bonju

If you ask me Colin Hanks, Def Mos and Olmos were not great additions to the show. Glad Olmos was already dead, happy when Def bought the farm will be ecstatic when Hanks gets it. He is not his father's son in acting. I frankly think he sucks

December 6, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. carrieanne

Too bad he took out John Lithgow. That would have been an outstanding endgame if they could have brought him back.

December 6, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tom

I would love it if we could see a two-season-long story arc, have Dexter go up against someone who couldn't be taken down in one season

December 6, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Art Vandolay

The finale should involve Dexter whacking: OJ, Casey Anthony, Drew Peterson and the entire Kardashian gypsy klan! -Art

December 5, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • bonju

2nd that motion – @carrieanne – John Lithgow could always come back as a ghost – as we see that ghosts are very prevalent in Dexter.

December 6, 2011 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. MeanMrMonkey

I think it would be great if it ended with Season 8. This season hasn't been the greatest and I would hate to see such a good show keep existing on auto pilot. If they start wrapping it up over the next two seasons, they can finish strong.

December 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Zed Mezcalhead

@ Anomic I couldn't agree with you more.

December 5, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anomic Office Drone

Ending a show before it goes downhill is smart. I'll miss Dexter but at least I won't have to watch it get bad then cancelled.

December 5, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. carrieanne

Although I will hate to see Dexter go, it is better to bow out before it gets bad or rediculous.

December 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |