What's the verdict: 'I Hate My Teenage Daughter'
December 1st, 2011

What's the verdict: 'I Hate My Teenage Daughter'

Fox’s new sitcom “I Hate My Teenage Daughter” premiered with respectable ratings after “The X Factor” on Wednesday night.

About 6.8 million people tuned in to watch the multicamera comedy about the disconnect between moms and their – you guessed it – teenage daughters.

But, despite a decent turnout, the show isn’t resonating with critics.

While Jaime Pressly and Katie Finneran have at least been recognized as “skilled comic actors” attempting to carry a one-note sitcom, reviewers aren’t cutting the actresses who play their daughters any slack.

“The rest of the cast is limited, particularly the bland actresses who play the daughters,” a Boston Globe reviewer wrote. “When you compare them with the kids on ‘Modern Family’ and ‘Suburgatory,’ you can see they bring very little to the table. They get an F as queen bees.”

And Entertainment Weekly’s Ken Tucker agrees: “The daughters, played by Kristi Lauren and Aisha Dee, were interchangeable ciphers. … They weren’t ‘funny.’ These girls are the kinds of characters that turn off adolescent viewers and who make adults watching the true haters.”

And while reviewers agree that the concept is there for “Teenage Daughter,” nobody seems to have much faith that the series can turn it around.

“It’s a shame, because a better-executed 'Teenage Daughter' could have been the kind of funny, outrageously rude family sitcom Fox built its brand on, rather than a tired and slightly depressing mess,” a Time Magazine TV critic wrote.

One Twitter user was already anticipating the program's demise: “‘I Hate My Teenage Daughter’ debuts on Wednesday on Fox and will be cancelled on Thursday.”

Did you tune in for the pilot? What do you think of “Teenage Daughter”?

Filed under: Fall TV • television

1. heaven

This show was absolutely adorable and so easy to relate to.

April 18, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Andrea

La verdad es que yo amooooooooo I Hate my Teenage daugther me parece una seria mu dibertida y espero prospere y siga adelante Por que todos los dias estoy pendiente de su estreno y siempre me hace reir,

February 22, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bri

i think the show is pretty good and that people shouldn't take the show so personal. The shows main job is to be funny not to necessarily say all the things on the show happens in real families. I'm sure everything that happens in Family Guy isn't real. However, I also think the show is good because some of these things happen in real life sometimes especially with girls at the teenage age trying to dress like a 21 year old and giving back smart remarks.And I would know this because I'm a teenage girl myself.My mother,my grandma, and I couldn't tune in every Wednesday to watch it but we did watch it on demand and absolutely laughed the whole time. I think honestly the show shows the type of relationships some mothers have with their daughters, ways to fix it, while keeping it funny and engaging. The show also could teach teenagers like myself. For instance when a teenager thinks about saying a smart remark when things doesn't go their way , they actually can remember how Jaime Pressly felt and it actually may make them appreciate all that their mom does for them even more(hopefully).Anyway,I hope that FOX brings the show back and gives it some time, add even more jokes,some srios moments,and go from there. I must admit I never watched GLEE until the second season and now i can't get enough of it. Maybe IHMTD will be the same way for others

January 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. heather

i loved these show me and my mom watched it every wed. i dont think they should cancle it. fox never gives shows a chance just like playboy club i hate getting in to these show then there cancled thats why your losing veiwers i dont even want to watch any more shows on fox.

January 4, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Original Vidiot

The world is a serious place. That is why I favor classic Sit-Coms as my entertainment fix. My world was turned upside down gloomy during the writers' strike as it dawned the age of inexpensive to produce Reality TV. I watch TV to take a break from reality. And I watch all the sit-coms, religiously. Some are funnier than others and many have runs of sub-typical quality, but I love them all, individually for their unique qualities and mostly because they simply trying to make me laugh ... what could be nobler ? Having said that, I have to say that I greatly enjoy I Hate My Teenage Daughter. I too find the "daughters" below par (both in lines & charisma) but it's not anything that would make me want to miss an episode.

December 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kerryn

Having a 15 year old daughter, I laughed my head off! I agree there needs to be more development of the teenage girls' characters, but this will come when given more lines by the writers. I think the rest of the adult cast is strong and look forward to seeing more of Matt!

December 28, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Claudia

Hi everyone
    i watched the four episodes and i really loved them.
    It was fun, serious, realistic about the teen and there single moms. LOVED IT

December 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DDSilks

This show should be chucked. I didn't laugh once, and rolled my eyes at the poor cliches and stale remarks that were meant to be "cute." Two episodes were enough for me!

December 27, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Laura

I have watched all the episodes and was pleasantly surprised. After reading reviews I had expected the show to be awful- but its really pretty funny. It has some kinks to work out yes but I think if they do it could be a solid show for FOX. I know it is the only reason I watched the network this fall- when the show returns in the spring I will be there.

December 21, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. patyno

Any thing that Eric Sheffer Stevens is in has my vote!!! Sp Fox keep the show on. Trust me ESS has enuff fans that we will buy the DVD set when it comes out. I watch this show plus DVR it, so just keep it coming. ESS is the bomb!!!

December 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. d.c. wildeman

I have to say that the story line of the show is weak but im from holland an a big fan of eric sheffer stevens en that makes me watch every show live at 4:30 in the morning just for him. I have seen al 3 shows.

December 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Syl

I second Carol and bluemirror: more dimensional, less cliche and more ESS air time with a less flake Matt would work for me. But even without any changes... 19.945 Likes on the IHMTD Facebook page must count for something. So PLEASE Fox... give this show some time to BREATH, to develop, to balance out. This concept and cast is TOO good to toss away (or to judge so harshly and quickly...)

December 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carol

I am loving this show! It's upbeat and funny. The cast are all so good. My favorite, tho is Matt (Eric Sheffer Stevens). My only criticism would be to make the daughters less bratty and Matt a little less of a flake (and give him more air-time).

December 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hilja

I watched all 3 episodes and really loves it!!!!
    Cant wait to see more of it.

December 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bluemirror

Ok, the writing could be better. Jamie Pressley could tone it down a few notches. The characters could become more dimensional, less cliche. But the premise has potential, and I like the three male characters. Matt (Eric Sheffer Stevens) is so fun to watch. He's dreamy to look at, and a wonderful actor. I hope Fox will give the show a chance.

December 21, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  16. lucas

I love this show, it's so funny, and ESS (Matt) is the best actor I've ever sawn.

December 21, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. Elly

I have seen three shows of IHMTD, its a funny and crowing show.
    The actors are playing the characters very good.
    I`m looking forward to the next shows.

December 21, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mirr

I watched all 3 episodes of IHMTD and I think it's really funny. :)
    Can't wait to see more episodes! yaaay!

December 21, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  19. Janet

I seriously love this show!!
    The actors are real fun,and play on a very high level!!
    I Hate My Teenage Daughter is on my top 3 of best American shows on TV!!
    Cant wait to see more of it!!

December 21, 2011 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  20. Karen R.

i like the show & i think it has potential.

the pilot's of all shows are not that great as they try to jam too much into the 1 show. the other 2 that have already aired were much better & flowed better & they softened the moms more which is what it needed & hopefully they'll do the same with the girls to make you like them or have an interest in them.
    i actually love the 2 fathers & the uncle more & hope that they're integrated into the show more like they were in the last 2 shows.

maybe if they move it to after Glee or American Idol it would get better numbers as nobody i know watches X Factor.

December 21, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  21. Joe T.

There will never be another sitcom on the level of Seinfeld. All these new sitcoms are just not laugh-out-loud funny. Take the laugh track away and these shows aren't funny. Two Broke Girls? Two and a Half Men? The Big Bang Theory? Not funny. A show like It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is much better and without the aid of a laugh track.

December 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. William

I just happened to turn on the tv and the show was on. I had no idea that it was the pilot, but all I could think was that this show is not nearly as funny as Two Brok Girls..

December 2, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jeepers

I don't like the name of the show. Hate? You "hate" your child? Really? That's supposed to be funny? What a turn-off.

December 2, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  24. AJones

I thought the show was decently funny and has potential. Jaime Pressly has made me laugh since My Name is Earl; and her religious cracks about dressing like a member of Sister Wives really hit home because I was raised the exact same way. We didn't picket Dirty Dancing, but we did plenty of other movies and random stuff like that. The acting from the daughters was kind of bland, but everyone has to start somewhere and honestly, it's just the first episode. Things tend to pick up from there.

December 2, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  25. Christy

I thought it was really funny. Pressly is known for playing over the top characters and the red head was crazy funny too!! The eating pie scene reminded me of something a modern day Lucy might do, haha! I agree that the daughters were very boring, but they could easily be replaced ;) I think it has potential to be a pretty fun show. Pilots are always tough. Maybe make the moms a little less "dorky" or whatever. I would have been totally stoked to have a mom like Jaime Pressly when I was growing up, lol!

December 2, 2011 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  26. Cheryl

The writing for the daughters and the actresses who play them....was not good. There were a couple of funny lines for the adults in the show but not enough for me watch it again.

December 2, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  27. @11:48

You ok? Feel better now? lmao

December 1, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Lynne

Sarah is correct! Truly bad. The moms were complete idiots. It would be better if the mom swere normal and were dealing with difficult kids. Because that IS life and it can be funny! And perhaps assure parents that kids can take on personalities that are foreign to them.

December 1, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  29. sarah

Boy! It was bad

December 1, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jables19

Pilots are tough to judge on. I think given more time to grow into the characters, everyone on this show can step their game up.

December 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Mormon

I'm sorry I missed it. I'll be watching as they are all fap-tastic

December 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Observer

More garbage from the left who only wants to tear apart the fabric of the American Family. Typical from the party of liberal hate.

December 1, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

Left, right, up or down- it's all the same crap! It doesn't matter ones affiliation- Crappy writing is crappy writing. Being a quote "liberal" does not mean the death of the "American Family" and all of its so called values. I think that's why the far right gets a bad rap- it's people with narrow views that give them a bad name! The "right" does NOT have the lock on "VALUES". Anyone can have a good moral compass-right or left.

December 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah

I take it from your spill, you didn't watch the show.However BAD it was it was trying to teach a leason. Go back to Fox

December 1, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Thats gay,All those pen1ses are touching

December 1, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ingrid

Dear Observer–
      that was just offensive your comment. As someone who is clearly more left on the political spectrum than you are I found your comment ignorant. People on the left seek only to ensure that there is more inclusiveness in our society and that means being open to people of different perspectives, backgrounds, religions and cultures. That is what makes society a better place. Your views clearly show you to be narrow minded and ugly. Happy Holidays!!!

December 24, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |