Hanson to release MMMHop beer
December 1st, 2011

Hanson to release MMMHop beer

Who says there’s no place for Hanson at the bar?

The '90s pop trio, famous for their long locks and the hit tune MMMBop, is in the process of expanding their brand (yes, they have a brand) with their own beer: MMMHop.

The India Pale Ale - to be made available in 2012 - will join Zac, Taylor and Isaac's other merchandise, which includes a board game and a record player.

Eatocracy: There's a whole sector of the beer-brewing industry that has yet to be tapped: Nineties pop song inspired beers

“We of course make records, they are fundamental to what we do,” Zac Hanson recently told reporters in Oxford, England, via Rolling Stone. “But we wanted to create a brand so that our fans have a greater experience.”

In other words, they’re hoping the beer will enhance their music?

Good thing the bands’ teenybopper groupies from 1996 are all legal now.

But don’t expect Hanson to slap their name on just any product.

“We will never make dolls, lunch boxes or toothbrushes that play our songs, for example,” Hanson said.

And good thing, because the only brothers who are going to succeed in the singing toothbrush market these days are the Jonas Brothers.

Will you take a swig of Hanson’s MMMHop IPA when it’s released next year?

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. paynis

Dude on the left what is wrong with your right eye?

June 13, 2012 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. swift

Hanson rocks...Their Underneath album is just timeless and beautiful...And they quit their major label Island in early 2000s to form their own label so they have more creative control. While going technically indie may not pump out the fame and media exposure from a wealthy powerful major record label – Hanson are happy doing music they love without big record companies stirring the wheel. They are the captain of their ship now! Good luck Hanson

February 8, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lea

I almost peed my pants I laughed so hard.

December 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GirlwithItude

Maybe if I downed six beers back to back, they'd end up sounding better... MMMNope.

December 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jay

they better change the name bc no straight man will order an mmmhop without getting busted on. why not just name it hanson's? thats a great name for a beer.
    as for hanson the band, the only music i know from them besides there couple of 90s hits is their christmas music, and it is excellent! seriously, go check it out.

December 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. margaret

can someone tell the one in the center..only farrah was able to wear that hairstyle.

December 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Margaret

they looked a littled 'chugged" out already for their age.

December 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. visitr

"Underneath" by Hanson – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMk7oXWR_U0
    "Been There Before" by Hanson – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMk7oXWR_U0

December 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JimJam

This will probably be the only IPA that has less than 5% ABV.

December 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Steve-O

Further proof that Americans have low standards when it comes to beer.

December 2, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Galley

I hope the beer isn't like the song.... in an mmmbop it's gone.....in an mmmbop it's not there.....

December 2, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. Edwin

I'm waiting for the Hansons to team up with the Crash Test Dummies to release, "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm-Bop."

December 2, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. carrieanne

Boys, please for the love of EVERYTHING, change the name of the beer!

December 2, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. dex

oh hell yes!!!

December 2, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kanyeezy

That S # ! T Cray!

December 2, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  16. Ronnie

I agree with the previous replies. This article is negligent in its sarcasm. The author is obviously ignorant and doesn't even know the subject matter. Hanson is one of the most talented group of artists that I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. They have produced such amazing music. The juvenille references to MMbop show that the author didn't do any research.

December 2, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  17. NOYB

Your fifteen minutes of fame are over, (you fugly) kids. Go work at McDonalds.

December 2, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  18. Whodat?

Is it me, or do they all look like they have been using illegal drugs?

December 2, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  19. Mike

This is officially the The Most Un-Manly Beer that money can buy. Man up!

December 2, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  20. slupdawg

Drink their MMMSlop? I'd rather MMMNot...

December 2, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  21. Joy

When they mentioned the singing toothbrush, they were refering to Justin Bieber's singing toothbrush because they tweeted about it. http://yfrog.com/kl9zgiqj

December 2, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  22. Chaos

These guys are idiots to think they are morally superior for branding one product but not others.

December 1, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Joshua O

About time these idiots do something worth caring about.

December 1, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erin

Are you serious? They have been heavily involved in charity work for years now – not just promoting causes or organizations, but donating of their own time and money as well. You haven't heard much about it because they aren't like the celebrities who use charities as photo ops or platforms for their own agendas – their charity work is behind the scenes, but definitely note-worthy for the investment of time, money, and care that they have given.

You don't have to like their music, but don't brush them off as people who haven't done anything of note in their lives.

December 2, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Erin

http://www.takethewalk.net/ is where you can find more info about the work they've done. The money and awareness they're raising isn't just through the walks they do before their concerts – they also donate a dollar for every person / every mile walked through walks organized through them, but performed elsewhere all over the world. They've also done some work in Africa, which is pretty cool.

I won't attack your character or assume you haven't done anything like that in your lifetime – but I do wonder how many people who criticize others for 'not doing anything worth caring about' have done anything in their own lives worth caring about, things that actually have an impact outside of your own individual life. I know I haven't done much yet – but I'm working on that.

December 2, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  24. sybaris

MMMMM-Fail

December 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Russ

What happened to the dude on the photo-left? Was he the last recipient in line in the gene pool? Man, they all turned out fugly.

December 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  26. OpieWan

The more you drink, the better they sound.

December 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Edwin

What's the market for this? Males of drinking age? No. Women who were once teeny boppers who liked this one hot wonder? Can't imagine that's a large enough demographic to support this business venture.

December 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tom K.

Who's going to endorse this product? hmmm, maybe Lindsay Lohan.

December 1, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Annas still dead

Just a bit late, boys...ever hear the phrase "Carpe Diem"?

December 1, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  30. james

Boys Boys Boys...youre doing what ? Did you call Jermaine Jackson for this idea, did he try to sell you a MJ jacket ?
    By the way, what self respecting beer drinker woul order a MmBop beer in fron of a friend, not to mention a bartender? and did you approve that publicity picture with your hair that way ?

December 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Timothy

I plan to get insanely bombed on this brew! - And by the way (coming from a Hip Hop aficionado but all around music junkie) if you wanna rip someone, rip their old label. They're the ones who brought you the bubble gum music. Hanson themselves had nothing to do with Hanson. When they began to object to the pop they were known for (i.e. the pop you hate them for), the label wanted nothing of it and dropped them like a bad habit. Musicians on the whole, especially the late 80's and 90's, are given way too much credit and criticism for the music associated with their names.

December 1, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Buzz Killington

When I look at them, I can't help but see the Olsen twins. Just me?

December 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sorry

I just had to click on this site! It's been a long time i heard any news about them!

December 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. George

Hey middle guy, Barry Gibb wants his hair back!!!

December 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  35. D-R

I guess I'll try it.

December 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Crash Test Dummy

I thought someone summoned us. Nevermind.

December 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jmarie26

I can appreciate them branching out, but the name "mmmhop" is silly. Especially if theyre doing other things now.

December 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. MMMMHMmmmm

Oh yes, I am totally buying this!

December 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. JRYDAF

I will buy their beer ironically so I can be like "Hey guys remember that group Hanson that did MMMBop, remember them? Look at this beer, it's called MMMHop, get it? Like the name of their hit song but Hop because it's beer. LMAO, remember the 90's guys???"

December 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. erich2112x

What'll it be?......."I'll take an MMMBop."......Got your ID?

December 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. lunchbreaker

The girl in the middle has a bit of a 'stach, and what's with the butch haircut for the girl on the right, hey, wait a minute.....

December 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  42. CAP1015

For what it is worth, these three guy's net worth is $120 million dollars ($40 mill each). They continue to sell a ton of records through onlline and their own distribution network (they cut out the middle man so to speak), don't think they are doing this for the money. And there music is good, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but their talent and skill is amazing.

December 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Larissa

Those boys must be doing something right to still be around and successful this many years later. This is a very unprofessional piece and seriously don't be such a hater.

December 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

How are they still successful?

December 1, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

John, do little research them and you will see that they are still very successful in the music industry.

December 2, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  44. Byteme

I can't wait for Hanson to MMMStop!

December 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Bill

I don't know what's more depressing: Celebrities that are willing to put their name on almost anything, or the fact that many people out there will buy a product simply for that reason. Do these guys actually have any brewing experience, or did they just sign on the dotted line when an actual brewer made a sales pitch to them - I suspect I know the answer. Knowing what a good beer tastes like makes you a brewer is like saying that appreciating good music makes you a musician.

December 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Margaret

i think they'll be fine..there songs are cute.

December 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  47. sockpuppet

yeah I was not a fan of their poppy music when I was a teenager, but I have recently heard them during a live jam session and they are very talented musicians. I wish people would give them a break about their pubescent pop choices and allow for the fact that they have grown up, and are actual musicians.

December 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • andy

Doesn't work that way for one hit wonder boy bands.

December 1, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • dex

thank you!! I totally get why people would make fun of them from their 90's pop days, but their recent stuff is really good! people should give them a chance! :)

December 2, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  48. be quiet

the hanson boys always came in to the brewery/restaurant I used to work for whenever they were in town, so they obviously appreciate a good beer! very nice, polite guys. IPA is my favorite, and I'll definitely check it out when it becomes available.

December 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Big John

Those dudes turned out ugly!

I will not be trying their beer.

December 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Becky

I absolutely agree with Laura. No need for the sarcasm in this article, especially since the author has probably only ever heard MMMBop, and not any of the other great music Hanson has released since then. I will most definitely be buying this beer. Can't wait!

December 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  51. baggiecat

Uh.......... no.

December 1, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Evel Knievel

Who cuts their hair, Stevie Wonder?

December 1, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

Trust me, this hairstyle is a lot better for them than the crap they had when they first came out... led to that Quagmire line on Family Guy... lol. Better Stevie Wonder than Justin Bieber's mom if you ask me.

December 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boobie

Who writes your jokes – Helen Keller?

December 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Boobie

PMS often?

December 2, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  53. Flooby

MmmmFlop

December 1, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Laura

I do not appreciate your sarcastic tone throughout this entire article. It is okay not to be a fan of Hanson, but this article is intended to tell the reader about a new product, not give your degrading opinion of the band. I will absolutely be purchasing and drinking this beer and I know lots of other people will as well.

December 1, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

I am a HUGE hanson fan–let me start by saying that! But I do have to point out the following 1) I really don't think this article is sarcastic? and 2) Even if it is, this is a blog–not a news article. A blog isn't to inform people about products, it's really to give your thoughts. :)

December 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

The above poster is correct, this is a blog, and may rip or praise on Hanson as she so chooses.

December 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hanson

I do not appreciate your ugly fat face.

December 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  55. LadyBeerDrinker

I just watched the MMMBop video for the first time in years this morning. I knew it would lead to epic things!!!

December 1, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  56. Jenn

Oh man i cant wait for this

December 1, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  57. LOL

Why am I not surprised? Go for it!

December 1, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  58. ol' dirty hippie

Guess you've already preordered a couple of cases, eh??

December 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  59. derp

You've already chugged a 40.

December 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Pixelicious

I'm pretty sure Steve-O meant "gay" as in 'happy'. Ergo happy as in drunk.

December 2, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |