Comedian Patrice O'Neal dies
November 29th, 2011

Comedian Patrice O'Neal dies

The booking agent for Patrice O'Neal has confirmed to CNN that the comedian and entertainer died Tuesday morning following an illness. He was 41.

"Many of us have lost a close and loved friend; all of us have lost a true comic genius," O'Neal's agent says in a statement. "His mother, who was also his best friend, was at his side."

O'Neal's passing was due to complications from a stroke O'Neal suffered on October 19. According to People magazine, the stroke was related to diabetes.

The magazine adds that Opie (a.k.a. Gregg Hughes) of SiriusXM's "Opie and Anthony" show also confirmed the death, tweeting of the radio program's frequent guest Tuesday, "Yes it's true that our pal Patrice O'Neal has passed away. The funniest and best thinker i've ever known PERIOD. #devastated."

O'Neal, a Boston native who performed in a variety of comedy specials and appeared on late night talk shows as well as hits like "The Office," was also on hand to poke fun at Charlie Sheen in Comedy Central's "Roast" of the actor in September.

Comedy Central and Sheen joined in the chorus of mournful tweets Tuesday. The network posted, "RIP Patrice - we'll miss you," while Sheen wrote that "The entertainment world as well as the world at large lost a brilliant man today. Patrice had that rare 'light' around him and inside of him. I only knew him for the few days leading up the Roast. Yet I will forever be inspired by his nobility, his grace and his epic talent. my tears today are for the tremendous loss to his true friends and loving family."

"Saturday Night Live" star Seth Meyers wrote that "a day spent watching clips of him on-line is a day well spent," while comedian and actor Colin Quinn said, "Thanks to everybody for the Patrice ONeal comments. One of a kind. In heaven right now, charming half and infuriating half, then reversing."

Sandra Bernhard shared via Twitter, "[T]erribly sad to hear about patrice o'neal we had a great time on @thegreenroom a couple of years back thoughts go out to his family." Added Questlove of The Roots, "So grateful i got to see Patrice Oneal do his last NYC gig. man this is so devastating. he truly was one of my favorite comics. RIP Patrice."

In addition to his mother, the heralded comic is also survived by his wife, step-daughter and sister.

"The family wishes to thank all of the fans and friends who have expressed an outpouring of love and support for Patrice these past weeks," the statement from O'Neal's agent continues. "We ask that you please respect the family’s request for privacy at this difficult time."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Marnib Susym

I like what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works guys I've you guys to my own blogroll.

July 10, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. FoodieClaire

RIP. Saw this dude on tv whilst I was in N.Y from london for thanksgiving for the first time. Nine days later he was dead :(

May 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. rid cellulite

This is one of the saddest things I ever heard. I will have horsedick. MPEG on repeat for a while.

January 10, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. lepatriot

Oh man! I'm going to miss Patrice. He stood up for, "trying to be funny". RIP Patrice.

December 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. KC

Why is he named Patrice? Normally a girl's name...

December 1, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Person

That's too bad. I was wondering how diabetes could lead to a stroke. Apparently from some cursory searching, "People with diabetes often have high blood pressure, which can cause abnormalities in the small blood vessels of the brain and lead to stroke." So if you have diabetes, watch your blood pressure carefully and regularly.

Condolences to his family and friends.

December 1, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. jobs in india

your information is very informative.
    Jobs in india

December 1, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Visara

Never heard of him. Next.

December 1, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Patchwerk Croc

He was a truly brilliant man and incredible comic. When O&A were on in DC, you knew when they brought Patrice in, it was going to be off the chain. RIP Patrice.

November 30, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ToonPirate

RIP, mah man. Now you can have all dem poke chops and black eyed peas and greens yo wants up in hebben.

A STROKE caused by diabetes? That's a new one on me. I always thought strokes were brought on by hypertension.

STILL, a prayer to the LORD that Patrice gets to sit at the right hand of GOD and make him cry laughing! PEACE!

November 30, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hardfloor

41 is way too young for anyone to die. Earlier this year we also lost Greg Giraldo. I was crushed to hear about his death, too. It's truly a tragic thing when someone that can make you laugh out loud in your seat dies. I'm a big comedy fan and it always hurts me deeply when comics pass away. They're truly unsung heroes that don't get enough credit. I can't tell you how many times I've had a bad day and I come home and looked up clips of Patrice doing stand-up. He never failed to make the situation better and put a smile on my face. I'm going to greatly miss you, Patrice, and so will all of your fans.

November 30, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Red Pison

I hope that nobody woman from the Charlie Sheen roast feels bad for her mean spirited comments about Patrice. They weren't jokes, they were venomous attacks. Rest in peace, Patrice.

November 30, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. nerp

Gumby Shines: Agreed. But seriously duuuude was really funny. Yeah, this sucks.

November 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. noname

So sad. I liked him on "The Office"

November 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gumby Shines

Diabetes sucks. But if you keep eating twinkies & Burger King....you will die.

November 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Banana Stand

"He's a flamer." R.I.P. T-Bone.

November 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dreaded pirate roberts

ohh T-Bone, he was a real flamer

November 30, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Josh

Get to the choppa! Do it now! Aagghh, agghhh! I loved his Arnie impression, he will be missed!

November 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. browngirl

U all that had something 'human' to say.. god bless. The rest need help ! A man..a YOUNG MAN has passed away..RIP

November 30, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  20. SKY

FACT: BETTER TO TO TO THE HOUSE OF MOURNING THEN THE BANQUET HOUSE, BECAUSE THAT IS THE END
    OF ALL MANKIND..AND THE ONE WHO IS LIVING SHOULD SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT IT......
    YOU CAN BE HEALTHY, YOU CAN BE ILL, SAD, HAPPY, RICH, POOR...YOU CAN'T ESCAPE DEATH.
    SO IT IS GOOD TO ASK YOURSELF, JUST HOW AM I LIVING MY LIFE? WHAT KIND OF NAME
    HAVE I MADE FOR MYSELF...IF YOU HAVE FAMILY, TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM TODAY, DON'T
    WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW, IT HAS NOT BEEN PROMISE TO YOU.

November 30, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  21. james

Wow... Really excellent! I like this very much

November 30, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  22. nikia henderson

God rest his Soul he Fought a good Fight. Lasting over a month after his stroke. I am praying for his Family and crying for there loss.

November 30, 2011 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  23. Salad Spinner

Let's laugh at his stupid parents for naming him Patrice! Idiots! It's fine in France, but not in the USA~! Girl name!

November 30, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  24. BoFo

All due respect, but I've never heard of him.

November 30, 2011 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  25. Just an idea

Hey guys, Patrice joked about having diabetes a lot. I understand that some of the Roast jokes seemed a little insensitive, but based on clips of Patrice on O&A discussing the Roast (you can find them on YouTube), he seemed to be gushing at how well his performance was received, and not really concerned with the jokes. Patrice would never want someone to be told not to joke about diabetes. It's not in his DNA.

I am truly, truly saddened by him passing away. I have had uncontrollable tears misting out of my eyes all day. I never even met him, but he was such a sweet, loveable, HILARIOUS man. It's a shame– I feel he was seriously like 6 months away from finally reaching the mainstream. What a terrible tragedy.

-Dave

p.s. A beloved man is dead. I understand being a healthy person is important (I am in great shape myself), but save your exercise soapbox speeches for a more appropriate time.

November 30, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  26. @Truth

Lmao-woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

November 30, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  27. ann

Rip he died waay to soon

November 30, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  28. jim

Gonna miss you Patrice.... Its a shame some of these people never knew who you really were. A great comedic mind. Rest in Peace.

November 30, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  29. Birdman

One of the best

November 30, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  30. Nathan

I had hoped this story was a joke. RIP.

November 30, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jay

R.I.P. Patrice. You were a very cool neighbor and a funny man – thanks for the DVD.

November 30, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  32. Alecia aka Missy aka Naughty Desiree

Sry to hear that he died but u'all can cheer up by watching me and my gf starrfire get down together @ www. naughtydesiree.com ! I LIVE UP TO MY NAME !!

November 30, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  33. Artie

Good guy gone. Nuf said. -Art

November 30, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  34. Mitchell

I loved his small parts on The Office. I'm glad this is one of the few CNN articles where i'm barely seeing any rude comments. RIP

November 30, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jane

I liked him. He was funny. Actually my dad just passed of heart disease and he had diabetes and smoked for years. I know genetics is partly involved. It is worth saying that if you can change anything about your lifestyle quit smoking, loose weight, eat better, exersise you should do it for your health True we are all going to die at some point but my dad never lived to see me get marrried or my children. Love yourself enough to take care of yourself.

November 30, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  36. Skwirrl

For anybody that hasn't seen it yet, he has an incredible comedy special available on Netflix.

November 29, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Miss M

My condolenses to his family, friends and fans!

I knew that another black entertainer was going to die,(because death happens in 3's), after Joe Frasier, heavy D and now Patrice may they all be resting in peace and happy in their new home. Thank You all for the memories.

November 29, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. P. Ness

Never heard of him

November 29, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Laura

There was money in that banana stand. :( One of the best TV moments ever. R.I.P. T-Bone.

November 29, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. mum

Go back and rewatch the roast Sense of humor or not....o'neal wasn't laughing about the diabetes so he didn't think it was funny either. Nuff said.

November 29, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  41. XPhaktor

Patrick was HILARIOUS!! I loved watching him, and am going to miss him. It is so sad to hear of him and his early death at 41 years of age, another great comedian along with Greg Giraldo that went too soon.

November 29, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Alex in NJ

How do people manage to turn EVERYTHING into and argument online? Seriously get a grip. I'll alway remember watching Patrice on Tough Crowd when I was much younger, then seeing him frequently at The Comedy Cellar in high school and college. What a funny guy. In the past few years, comedy has lost way too many great acts. Mitch Hedberg, Greg Giraldo, and now Patrice O'Neal. Such a shame.

November 29, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. CDaeda

Who says people live long lives?

November 29, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Spendlove

Rest in peace man.

November 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jasminegrrrrl

He is an irreplaceable talent. I am so saddened by this. Wishing my friends at the O&A show peace. I know how I feel and cannot imagine how they're hurting.

November 29, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. aj

R.I.P. Patrice!

November 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  47. wow

poopcicle...

November 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Josh

Patrice was a very funny comic... He spoke about the Roast on the Opie and Anthony show. Many dont know that he didnt have a true set and many of the times was just talking off the top of his mind. Jim Norton was devistated today and posted many pictures of him and Patrice. I dont know why CNN didnt include Jim in the quotes. Roast are Roast and everyone knows that Jokes are Jokes. Patrice cheered for freedom of speech and it may make some people mad but he was very against the Don Imus firing for the comments he made about the female BB team. Patrice would often tell stories that were funny but he is also one of the smartest people I have ever heard. I know that he will be missed by Fans, his wife, daughter, mother and Opie and Anthony, Jim Norton, Ron and Fez show and others. I didnt know Patrice but knew him from XM radio. This is the first person that I didnt know that has touched me because he made every fan seem like you grew up with him.

November 29, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  49. wowowow

funny man... gone too soon... should have got some of that tiger blood from carlos estaves...

November 29, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Scott A

Wow, I didn't even hear he had a stroke. I have the videos of "I Love The..." series from VH1 – Patrice was an incredible talent on those series (most notably with remembering the cheesiness of the 1980s). He was awesome with the improv the show required from the comedians and he had a very infectious laugh. He died way too early. It's too bad we're wasting money on winless wars and worthless trips to Mars when we could be spending more on finding cures to the diseases that are killing us like diabetes. RIP Patrice and condolences to the family and friends.

November 29, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Majestic_Lizard

This sucks.

November 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. big g

joke.. when I die i want to be cremated and my ashes put in the old ladys dzbeg so I can be ran thru 1 last time.....

November 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  53. PhilG.

This really stinks to high heaven.

Patrice was a funny funny guy and could make you laugh with just the way he carried himself with confidence.

He was genuine and a great person and will definitely be missed.

Man,this just sucks.

November 29, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  54. WIll

Man, this is so sad. He was a special person. "Damnit Michael!" . RIP Patrice.

November 29, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  55. George Bluth Sr,

Hey! T-Bone. T-Bone’s my roommate. He's a flamer.

November 29, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  56. RillyKewl

Oh, Patrice! You were one of the greats. I so sad to learn of your passing. I've been a big fan for a lot of years. RIP, Man.
    We'll miss you.

November 29, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  57. --G

Was planning to see him perform live and now devastated to hear he's gone. He was my favorite! The funniest man out there. My condolences to his family.

November 29, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  58. He...

Was quick, vicious and hilarious. Rest in peace.

November 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Amber Marie the Map

I wonder who will attend O'Neal's funeral! I only heard of him once.

November 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ms. B

Amber Marie the Map, wonder who will attend your funeral, no one has ever heard of you.

November 30, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  60. Jimbob

hay Heather, – wrote – comments. Not tweeted. before 140, people actually wrote complete thoughts.
    People who are living under a death threat –diabetes, obesity, black and popular – makes rude jokes every day. He's gone, I like him a lot, get on with it...

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. steve

very sad
    RIP
    fat people don't live very long
    they are a time bomb waiting to go off!

November 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ms. B

Skinny people die also, they all don't live to be a hundred! FYI "fat" people are not the only one with diabetes.

November 30, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Hardfloor

Ms. B confirmed as a massive land whale.

November 30, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  62. augustghost

Interesting, when a black "celebrity" dies, alot of white people say alot of nice things and gush at times...don't see the blacks say boo when a white celebrity dies...

November 29, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • RillyKewl

You're an ass|hole.

November 29, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

D/o/u/c/h/e.....bag

November 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

And just how the h3ll do you know who is black and who is white among the commentors? For all you know, everyone other than you who has posted is Asian. Schmuck.

November 30, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  63. fairshare2

I agree with Jimi! Ignoring a major issue like obesity in America is truly not an effective treatment for the "so many illnesses we are facing here in America today. RIP Patrice!

November 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Shawna

RIP Patrice. You were a brilliant comic. May your star shine bright in heaven.

November 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Shawna

RIP Patrice. You were a brilliant comic. Despite the few atheists online, I believe you're in heaven right now, at peace and happy.

November 29, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ezo

If you want to get a taste of Patrice's brilliance, watch his stand-up routine: "Elephant in the Room" (2011). I must have looped this 10 times on Netflix. (He also made some very prophetic references during his the show.) RIP, brother. You certainly left your mark.

November 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  67. jack

Who is noderating this. Profanity and personal insults are no place for a blog for the deceased. If you can't say something nice don't say it. Consider the friends and FAMILY reading this. May he rest in peace

November 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Sad

No doubt this is a sad, sad event, but the upside to this tragedy, perhaps, is that had he recovered from the stroke he may not have been the same man. Now he can live on forever as the hilarious dude we knew him as. RIP Patrice.

November 29, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Smack-it-up-Flip-it-Rub-it-down

He was entertaining.... and funny.... yet, another great one gone too soon.
    R.I.P., and you're soul will live on forever.

November 29, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Visara

"and you are soul will live on forever" ?? Seriously? Are people just getting more and more stupid as time goes by?

December 1, 2011 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  70. conic

Grateful to the O and A show for giving this brilliant artist a platform and a voice. This is the first time I have been moved to tears over the loss of a person I never met. rip Patrice.

November 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  71. markus

Have been a fan since the Webjunk show he did on VH1. Very sad news. I'm gonna miss him.

November 29, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaynicia

That's the name of the show!! I was trying to remember it and was drawing a blank! He was so funny on that show.

RIP Patrice...

November 29, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  72. oh man

How sad. I liked this guy.

November 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  73. huxley

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeCMCJc5-jg&w=640&h=390]

November 29, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • huxley

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeCMCJc5-jg&w=640&h=390]

November 29, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Bill E Bob

All right now, all you kids get back to your homework and stop using your parents' computer!

Anyway, I'm not familiar with this guy but he was way too young! Happy thoughts to his wife and family.....

November 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Bruno

RIP Patrice! I watched one of your standup shows a few weeks ago and couldn't stop laughing. You will truly be missed!

November 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  76. huxley

Thats a shame. He was one of my favorite comics. All the greats die too young.

November 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Otto

Well, not all of them die young. Carlin and Pryor come to mind. Voss is in his 50's, and he dies regularly on Fridays and Saturdays

November 30, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  77. amac

Who was it who said "Dying is easy. Comedy is hard."?

November 29, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  78. george

RIP patrice. A true comedic genius...so devastating....I guess God really wanted him up there. Love you patrice.

November 29, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jables19

I think Patrice would be most offended by the quality of some of the responses on this comment board. Some you are just straight up corny and unfunny. If you are going to be hateful, be funny while you do it.

November 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Garfield The Cat

I've had feline diabetes for over 30 years, and I'm still around.

November 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  81. semper fi

LOL RIP

November 29, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  82. The Sea Monster

RIP Patrice. Travel well.

November 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  83. GroveStreetBicycles

Rest in Peace Patrice. He purchased a bicycle from our shop last year to exercise and lose weight. He was a very kind and very funny person to everyone in the store. He will be missed.

November 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Nick

Have fun being a ghost and hanging out with clouds

November 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Kat

Oh gosh, so sad. I loved this guy. Always made me laugh. A tragic loss at a such a young age. RIP Patrice.

November 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  86. really?

Wow, he was interviewed by TMZ last week about Heavy D's death and about his weight. Sad.

November 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

No he wasnt interviewed last week. He was in the hospital.....

November 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

No. Craig Robinson of The Office was interviewed on TMZ – Not Patrice O'Neal, but I guess all black people look alike to you.

November 30, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  87. Tonelok

You all do realize he died from complications from a stroke, not diabetes, right? That being said, here's my favorite Patrice joke:
    "I don't litter. I don't throw garbage in the street. Not because I care about the earth. But I'm afraid I'm going to be walking through the park drinking a soda and when I'm done, I just throw it over my shoulder, it'll fly over the bush and land on some dead white woman's head with my fingerprints on the can. Now I'm the Pepsi-Cola rapist because I'm lazy"
    RIP man, you were a great performer.

November 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotTonelok

You do understand that having diabetes increases your risk for strokes exponentially? So yeah, he died from one of the most common complications of diabetes.

November 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • crookedarm

That joke is funny? Whatever you say man.

December 1, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  88. AlexK

Sad news. He was a great combination of clever, funny and had great timing and delivery on his jokes.

November 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  89. imo

I saw the roast – he didn't seem happy with the diabetes jokes to me. Anyone who jokes about a very serious illness has never had one and can't understand it – would they have made the same jokes if he had cancer?

November 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • McAin't

Yes, they would have made similar jokes if it had been cancer. It's okay to make fun of serious issues. In fact, the issues that are the most serious are often the ones that lead to the biggest laughs. Life is too short to spend all your time being offended. Just sit back, relax and enjoy it.

R.I.P. Patrice

November 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • BioHzrd420

They probably would have. Have you seen these roasts? No-holds-barred and anything is up for being the butt of a joke.

November 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

It is only funny to joke about a serious health issue if you are a comedian or have thick skin. Have you heard of Gilda Radner, one of the funniest women ever? She was part of the first cast of Saturday Night Live. She died in May 1989 of ovarian cancer. She joked about her condition up until the her last lucid moment. Laughter is a coping mechanism but of course, not everyone can joke about it. I am very saddened to hear of Patrice's death. By the way, for those of you who "thought this article was about a woman" would never have said that to his face. It's extremely rude to say that now that he is gone. Last comment I will make, to Guest, November 30, 2011 10:13 am, Patricia Richardson is the lady who was the mom on Home Improvement. Suggestion for you, Google is an awesome search tool so you don't post rude and stupid comments.

November 30, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  90. CT Cat

Went to college with Patrice. At the time, he was known as Bruiser. He was hella funny then as he ranked on everyone and anyone who crossed his path. God bless, brother.

November 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Will

Ironically Charlie Sheen will probably live to be 101. People, please take the time to think about your health and work on being fit. This guy was by no means old. He made it to less than half the average life expectancy.

Really really sad.

November 29, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • UFC iTard

Actually, life expectancy for any male in the United States is just a hair under 76 years, for a black man it's just barely over 70 years, so... Tequivocas, eres muy tonto, bleeeeotch.

November 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Kirk

I thought it was woman when I read the headline.

November 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Uncle Paul's nephew

You'll be missed Patrice. A true genius. You never pulled a punch and spoke your mind at all times. A man of integrity and a funny SOB. Hope Mama finds a Puma running suit to bury you in. Peace.

November 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Sallie Mae

God bless his family

November 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Deeply Saddened

R.I.P. Patrice, I'm so sad now

November 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Alex

Who?

November 29, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Mitch

Who? Any relation to Shaq?

November 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  98. KobraKai7474

With all due respect to those complaining about the jokes at the recent Charlie Sheen roast, I can assure you that Mr. O'Neal "got it". He was a comedian... and a darn funny one. There is no greater honor at a roast than to be the butt of a good joke from a fellow comedian.

RIP Mr. O'Neal. While we are a bit sad here on earth, I bet heaven is home to quite a few more laughs right now.

November 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnBoy

He isnt in heaven you dolt – he is dead and there is no place you go...

November 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

LOL, I just LOVE know-it-alls johnboy! I need your email, I have so many questions I need definite answers on. Thank "Heavens" I've found you.

November 30, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  99. ENOUGH

HE OBVIOUSLEY MADE AN IMPACT ON PEOPLE THAT ARENT EVEN REPLYING TO THIS BLOG GROW UP

November 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  100. jackmancomedy

RIP

November 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Ronnie

Good night, Funny Man

November 29, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Greg

Never heard of him.
    Too bad he's dead...

The End

November 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Look him up on Youtube. Pretty funny stuff.

November 29, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ezo

...And yet you found time out of your pathetic day to post nonsense. Nice.

November 29, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • YoureNext

The next day, Greg died. Nobody knew him. The end.

Is that how you'd like to be remembered? You're a d00shbag supreme!

November 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Joseph D

The man was brilliant – he will truly be missed!

November 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Yeah Yeah

First Heavy D and now Patrice O'neal – damn! Get healthy people – this stuff is REAL!

November 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

Don't forget Bernie Mac. Even though it was last year, he did leave us at to early an age. From I believe the same the same thing, then it progressed to the flue.

November 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  105. anunnaki

you dont believe in the sky?

November 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken in MD

What does "the sky" have to do with heaven? Do you really believe all the dead spirits are up in the clouds?

November 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • EvanAll Mighty

When the bible was written, the use of the word heaven meant sky.

November 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • crookedarm

Ken in MD. There are dead spirits in the clouds, but we more commonly refer to them as Jehovah"s Witnesses. Now get off my cloud. :-)

December 1, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  106. Jason

I don't believe in a heaven, but i'd like to think hes up there

November 29, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken in MD

I understand the sentiment, but this makes no sense. "I hope he's someplace I don't believe exists"???

November 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • StClown

It's sort of a Mike Tyson deal, he wants to send him to Bolivian.

November 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • meandean39

Heaven, is all too real, my friend. Seek Jesus and ask him into your heart, if not, HELL awaits you.

November 30, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Kriss Greenn

I know what you mean Jason. @Ken in MD: he's saying that if heaven does exist he hopes Patrice is there. @Stclown: it's Bolivia not Bolivian. But getting back to the point, Patrice was a great guy and he will be greatly missed R.I.P

November 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anti meandean

meandean, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Careful what you preach.

November 30, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • samandean

guess I will have to go to hell then...... if it exists LMAO!!!!!

December 1, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  107. Double-Oh Seven

It is really sad to hear this. I saw Patrice on those "Best of the 80's" VH-1 shows and he was very funny.

November 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Luke R

?

November 29, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  109. jason83

My condolonces especially to his mother. 41 and still could have entertained another 41 more years. RIP, sir.

November 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jables19

Funny on The Office despite the small role. Hilarious on Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn. I think the funniest things I read about him were in Jim Norton's book. Great comic, he will be missed.

November 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • CB

That's not the guy you're thinking of. Office guy is Craig Robinson.

November 29, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeke

Patrice had a small role as a warehouse worker in the early office episodes. Different from Craig Robinson but they both are black so at least you got that right.

November 29, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Luke R

RIP Patrice.....will miss you on O&A.

November 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  112. K3Citizen

The diabetes jokes they made about him at Charlies roast aren't funny today.

November 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh Davis

I disagree. Its a roast and that's what comedians like Patrice do. In addition, those jokes would not have been made if the roast was today so what is your point?

November 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • rizzo

No they were funny. It's not funny that he's dead, but the jokes are still funny.

November 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • wsnow

If you really knew Patrice, and I heard him weekly on Opie and Anthony, the jokes were funny then, and they are funny now.

November 29, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rmatt

I was thinking the same thing, those roast jokes were brutal & in poor taste. My thoughts & blessings go out to the family.

November 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walter

And that's why you're not a comedian...

November 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Have any of you seen the roasts? There is a reason it is called a ROAST! The jokes, all of them, are written to be rude. This is the perfect time to tel you that, people who are offended by jokes... are effen stupid. Get over it. If any of the comics knew that Patrice was going to die, they would have never told those jokes... or would they have? That is how most of us deal with tragedy, humor. Patrice was great. Very spirited and had a big heart. He will be missed... But that does not mean that the jokes were not funny. I know he enjoyed them.

November 29, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

AJ – most people deal with tragedy via humor? Not heard too many jokes about 911 lately. Perhaps I move in different circles – among normal people for example.

November 29, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tgrroo

Ahh, I do love me a good 9/11 joke. I mean, really, it's been a decade, get over it.

But seriously, it's a roast. The jokes are funny BECAUSE they're rude. Don't you think it's odd that you (K3Citizen and whoever else may apply) find it more offensive than the people that roasts are directed toward do?

November 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

'A farewell party for Patrice's foot'. It was hilarious! A shame that he passed from it so young! But poking fun was the business he was in.

November 29, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Citizen Doofus

Actually.... they weren't funny that night, either.

November 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Say it ain't so

Besides to be racially correct. He was a black man. He had tha sugar not diabetes.

November 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Really? Patrice himself thought they were funny, and he made those jokes all the time, stupid. It's idiots like you who think they are the arbiters of what is, or isn't funny, that drive today's political correctness. If one person thinks something is funny, and 1000 don't, that doesn't make it any less funny, just means it has less mass appeal.

November 30, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • OC

I agree, those roast jokes aren't funny anymore. They were making fun of his diabetes and Patrice himself thought the others went too far: "I'm dying over here!" I thought he was being overly dramatic, but as it turns out, diabetes did him in.

December 2, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Anomic Office Drone

Patrice O'Neal is a comic who always got laughs out of me. He will be missed.

November 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heather

Wow – how was Charlie Sheen able to tweet such a long comment about Patrice?!

November 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • mfhpr

Heather, believe it or not, CS is quite brilliant. A tortured soul, but as well-spoken as you'll find in Hollywood.

November 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Biohzrd420

While he may have his moments, I'm not holding the man who gave us "winning" and "I got Tiger's blood" as eloquent and well-spoken. I think anyone who saw his tour will attest to that.

November 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • UFC iTard

Wow way to completely miss the point of Heather's comment. Obviously she was referring to the length of the comment and Twitter's 140-character limit.
      Duh!

November 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • AD

let's keep it honest and intelligent like Patrice did, in rememberance. it is cliche', but no less true that he will, his is already, missed.

November 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandy

Just watched this man on youtube. He made me laugh so hard I forgot why I'd looked him up in the first place. Poor guy, I hope he rests in peace.

November 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • scotty501

Man I am crushed. Patrice made me laugh everytime. I heard him on the Opie and Anthony show many times. Patrice got me thru many gloomy days. I will miss him very very much

November 30, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • cammymoe

mfhpr, Heather was clearly referring to Twitter's 140 character limit, not Charlie Sheen's obvious "genius."

November 30, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • lowasampsonite

@mfhpr – I think Heather was referring to the fact that tweets are only 140 characters long and the quote from him was much longer than that.

November 30, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • bhibsen

Heather, I guess Charlie has tiger twitter.

November 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Never heard of this dude, – and frankly, who cares?

December 1, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  114. Luke R

Screw off. You have google.

November 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  115. peanut

Keep practicing....you're trolling is still a bit week. But your going to get beter with practice, looser.

November 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Ronald Reagan

There is no such thing as magic, grow up you toolbag.

November 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  117. F-Off

WOW, could you be a bigger azzhole????

November 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  118. john

ignorant!!!

November 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  119. chris

blaks have diabetes issues and whites have cancer/pedophilic issues. your point?

November 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Jimi

Obviously a lot of people don't like to hear the truth about weight, race and diabetes – unfortunately sticking your head in the sand isn't an effective treatment for type 2 diabetes

November 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  121. john

Ignorant!!

November 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  122. JEEZ

You mean like your mom you p.o.s.?

November 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Ezo

Why post to a blog that is dedicated to the mourning and dedication of someone who's deceased? I mean, really. Don't you have anything better to do?

November 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  124. retarded

this is the most ignorant and stupid comment i've read in weeks. white people have just as much a risk of diabetes as blacks. what the f&ck does cancer have to do with "pedophilic issues" ? cancer is what you are writing on this page. pedophilia is how you were born. learn up, shut up. and eat a hot bowl of d1cks too.

November 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Guest

Now that is an awesome reply
    Its always sad when someone dies,but to be honest when I saw the name I thought it was the mom from Home Improvement

November 30, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  126. Visara

Here's a tip: "you're" means "you are." "Your" means 'belonging to you.' "Loser" has only one 'o'.
    Put down the iPad and start paying attention in school, kid.

December 1, 2011 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |