Things come to a head on 'The Walking Dead'
November 28th, 2011

Things come to a head on 'The Walking Dead'

Sunday's "Walking Dead" was the last episode until February, and it left us with a final scene that we'll be talking about until then.

Before getting to that, though, I have to say that the immediate repercussions of Rick learning the truth about Lori and Shane didn't really amount to much.

I'm sure that it will have an effect eventually (after all, Lori is pregnant, something Rick mentioned to practically everyone at the most opportune times), but it was a bit surprising.

Instead, the more immediate issue of the walkers in Hershel's barn was brought to the forefront by Glenn, in a most inelegant way.

Between his wife's pregnancy and the still-missing Sophia, Rick's reaction was to try to see things Hershel's way so the survivors could stay longer on the farm. Shane, of course, saw things differently.

Dale, meanwhile, confronted both Andrea and Shane himself over his behavior, telling him, "When the world went to s-, at least I didn't let it take me down with it." I have a feeling there are more confrontations to come between these two.

Glenn finally convinced Maggie that her father was wrong about the walkers, to the point where she told him it was okay to dispatch them. In that final scene, Shane not only killed two walkers that Hershel and Rick had wrangled to take to the barn, but opened the barn to shoot at the rest.

Andrea and Daryl joined Shane in killing the walkers exiting the barn - until the last one shuffled out.

In perhaps the most heart-wrenching moment of the series so far, that walker turned out to be Sophia. As Carol and the rest watched in horror, it was Rick who ended up shooting her in the head.

It's practically anyone's guess where things go from here, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much longer they end up staying at the barn, and who will live through the second half of the season.

At the same time, there have certainly been a number of disappointed fans out there (myself not among them), who felt that these last seven episodes were very "talky," with precious few scenes involving the zombies themselves. Whether this is to be blamed on the reported budget cuts or the loss of Frank Darabont remains to be seen.

So, what did you think of this mid-season finale? Share your view on iReport (Julie West, for example, has responded to the long break between episodes, with "Are you kidding me?") or comment below.

1. ray

This show is totally awesome! I LOVE IT SO MUCH! Guys you must have The Walking Dead texting called Zlango: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zlango.zms&feature

December 13, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. iawildflwr

If you recall, it was mentioned that it was Otis who was responsible for wrangling the walkers and putting them in the barn. If Shane hadn't of killed him, eventually Otis would have figured out that it was Sophia in the barn and may have let them know so they would stop the unneccessary searches. Best Episode so far in my book! Can't wait for February and new eps!

December 8, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. Momo123

I was a fan after the first season. But the show has become a Zombie show without Zombies. I made it through 2 episodes of this season, and that was it. Done.

December 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sherryrae40

I'm expecting Otis to show up on the farm as a zombie.. leading a "herd" right to them...

December 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Necrofun

Otis will be back. You can count on that!

December 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kristy

It never crossed my mind that Sophia was in the barn either. I believed that she was rescued by Merle. I thought that was how he would re-enter the series....

December 2, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SCDad

If that woman is not pregnant with a zombie then I do not care!
    I want to see some zombie killing action!!!!
    Kill the kids and women to stop all the talking and crying, then start slaying the undead.
    Or I'm turning the channel again.....

December 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lena Simon

I think the farm is going to be overrun with zombies now.I also think the walkers in the barn kept the other ones away ,by smell ??? or something .Shane just killed a few more of them !!

November 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jim Dandey

About damn time something happened; ever since they got to this farm the show's been BORING...

November 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jason

i don' understand when walkers devour/eat their victims and when they just bite them and turn them into walkers as well. Why was Sophia intact instead of devoured? I would have thought that if she was caught by a walker she would have just been eaten down to the bone. please help explain...

November 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walker, Texas Zombie...

I think anyone that didn't get their brains eaten would turn into a zombie. So if a zombie eats your spleen and your liver and an arm and leg... you die and become an armless, legless, spleenless and liverless zombie. Sofia might have been bitten or scratched but got away and then later turned.

November 30, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. oarsman

the best final ending i have seen in years can't wait until feb.

November 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joe

Ya.....like all good shows it should have ended after the first season. Each following season will be a case of diminishing returns – but people lemmings that they are will keep tuning in – if only to hope it'll be as good as the first season again.

My issue with this season is the complete lack of focus on the fact humanity has been effectively wiped out. Food? Plenty of it! Fuel? No Problem. Shelter, medicine etc. all there. While not a Zombie movie, I loved how things were portrayed in The Road.

The complete lack of concern of their surroundings on the farm also bugs me. Occasionally someone will sit on the RV as a lookout, but otherwise no one seems to care the world is full of Zombies.

Sigh.

November 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walker, Texas Zombie...

I have to disagree with you. I know some people just want to see splattered zombie brains... but just as many people are enjoying the character development. I think this season is just as strong as the first. I enjoyed Daryl's development... I think he is the strongest character on the show now. I'm sure all hell is about to break loose and there will be plenty more zombie killing moments... but they are on a secluded farm. They probably hardly saw any normal people out there, so why would they see very many zombies? Zombies aren't going to just swarm in every direction in the middle of the country. They're going to stick close to where they found their last meal.

November 30, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. BUFFALO

This show started strong with some good zombie stuff and then became an overly-talky "soap" with a few zombies stumbling through the background. Some of the characters became cliche in a very short time. I stopped watching it weeks ago.

November 29, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. Steve

I'm more disappointed that the season won't start up again until February! The walking dead is an incredible and powerful look at survival, courage, and coping. The series finale was heartwrenching; seeing Sophie among the walkers was devastating. Thank you to the producers, directors and of course, actors for contributing to such a special drama. I can't wait until February...I may have to start all over again with season one to tide me over! Thanks for the nightmares!

November 29, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. Pete

It clearly couldn't have been any more obvious that Sophia was in the barn. As soon as Glenn saw zombies in there, bingo, there goes the mystery as to the whereabouts of good ol' Sophie.

I was actually hoping she WASN'T in there.

November 29, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. prK

I love the suspense of the show but I also appreciate that you get to learn the characters as well. instead of keeping them flat and two-dimensional (aka boring), they grow and develop as they interact w/ each other - like they said on MTV's the real world: "it's when people stop being polite and start getting real." LoL
    seriously, tho, I was very suprised (yet at the same time not all that shocked) when sophia came out but it helped put things into perspective again for everyone the reality and despair of their situation.
    I also really like shane; he, in many ways, is actually one of the most real characters of the group. I am not applauding his immorality (more like his struggles w/ it), I am mrerly saying that he has come to grips w/ the new zombie environment after so many confrontations and is in 'survival mode' while other characters keep getting distracted w/ love interests (although NOT a bad thing, either! LoL) or pregnancies or other mundane things.
    on another note, I think that the group should find a safe haven on a hilltop or tall structure somewhere, as the height would act as a natural barrier & they could have a better chance of being spotted......

November 29, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  17. walker watcher

How stupid is it for Lori to admit to Shane the baby might be his? Is she trying to get her husband killed by an unhinged lunatic? I realise it's the writers, but get a grip, and a different story line. The pregnancy is boring.

November 29, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  18. TWD

@Jacob, not only wondering about decaying bodies, but how do you reconcile zombies eating? Do they have bodily functions? The scene at the barn finally brought out to everyone what Hershel was trying to explain, these were people, someone's loved one. They didn't understand until they saw Sophia. I am not comfortable with the Shane character, he's more of a loose cannon than Daryl or even Merle.

November 29, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  19. EPILOUGE

THIS SEASON FINAL PREMIER SUSPENCEFUL TO THE END! THE MONOLOUGE WAS WELL WRITTEN EACH EPISODE! VERY CLEVER WAY TO CAPTURE THE INTEREST OF THE PEOPLE.

November 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. S. A. Huggins

I absolutely loved the mid-season finale. I like that more is happening with Daryl. It's sort of unexpected. And Shane, like him or not, his character adds a lot to the show. I do think it's interesting, though, the play on the children. For those of us with children...it adds a new level of discomfort. As soon as they showed the inside of the barn, I had a feeling it was going to be Sophie. It was a split second thought, but one that left me with a really bad feeling. Check out my blog post for more on my thoughts of children and The Walking Dead.

November 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. rachael

I can't wait for the other episode to come out. Love watching the Walking Dead and was sad that Sophia became a walker. She wouldn't survive out there.

November 28, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. be quiet

were people really that surprised by Sophia coming out of the barn? I saw that coming a mile away.

November 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. punkrscrnd

The last episode def made up for the slow season. I did enjoy the development of the characters. I'm going to go ahead and make some people crazy, but I am totally team Shane all the way. I honestly cheered when he told everyone how it was at the end. "Losing it" or not, that man knows how to survive, even if it is a little immoral, but seriously how moral can you be with the world ending all around you?

November 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  24. radioactive redhead

I enjoyed last nights show. It definetly puts everything back into perspective for Rick. These were people, now they are empty shells wanting to eat them.

November 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Keith

I love this show! I liked the ending, I didn't see it coming. To hold you over, here's a canadian zombie tv show you can't get in the states.
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er7rSr8Szzc&w=640&h=390]

November 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. christmas

im enjoying the unfolding on the characters.. how Daryl is starting to become part of a family and how new that is for him,,how andrea is coming out and being a bit butch,, glen is getting a backbone and shane is loosing it,literally..... i called the sophia in the barn a few episodes back... how will we ever wait until feb...

November 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  27. @trazey

The barn was their secret, that is y they did not say that. I get what yer saying.

November 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Trazey

I was a big "oh COME ON" over the Sophia thing. They see these people going out day after day searching for a little girl, and never thought to mention "oh a few days ago a little girl zombie shows up, wanna take a gander???" I mean COME ON!!

November 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

maybe Herschel put her in there on purpose? I have a feeling Herschel is evil.

November 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

I think Sophia was alive and human when she went in the barn. I think she was hiding in there and didnt know there were walkers in there and thats how she became a walker. Just an idea! Another thing.. Does anyone have any idea what kind of time has passed as all of this has happened? Has it been days, weeks, months?

November 29, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  29. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EKjzxWMtcc&w=640&h=390]

November 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Daphne

I love this show, I don't mind the 'talky' bits LOL Even the downtime is better acted than most other shows! I think it's fun that Dale & Andrea were together in Stephen King's "The Mist" another gut-wrrenching end to a show there LOL

November 28, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. @ron

I don't think her voice quit working if she was not a walker. She could have spoke up before being put in barn. Just my opinion.

November 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Ron

The question that haunted me all night long was: Did Hershel put Sophia in the barn thinking she was a walker or did he put her in there on purpose? How long did he know about this? I could not sleep at all last night because of this. How did she become a walker? The final scene was sad. My whole family was devastated. We are definitely hooked on this series.

November 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJCowboy

Your family was devastated by a fictional character being turned into a zombie? Mmmkay, but I'd imagine they wouldn't sacrifice a little girl to the zombies. According to one of the writers on the show, Otis put her in there so it was somewhere between Rick leaving her and Carl getting shot.

November 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • fanboi

Otis, the guy Shane killed, put the walkers in the barn prior to his death. Hershal had no idea that the little girl was in the barn. As far as Sophia is concerned, I dont think Otis ever had the chance to know she was missing because they went for the medical supplies for Carl, and then Shane shot him.

November 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Aidan

I think this season was much better then last. Even though there wasnt as much action it mixed in som story to help move the show along and make next season even better. my biggest surprise was how off track the show is compared to the comic book it makes it more exciting for who ever read the comics.

November 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jacob

I thought this season was great, and was okay with the fact that the zombie killings slowed up a little in order to further the character development. The final scene is awesome, and even after re-watching it 5x, I still can't get enough of shane... that guy is awesome!!

I do wish however, that there was even more realism in place... for example... after a conflict of this duration, I'm pretty sure all utilities would be shut down. That would mean no electricity or running water for the house. Candle light at night.

My biggest question is... if the walkers are really dead... wouldn't that mean that eventually, within 6 months or less, that their body parts would in a sense begin to disintegrate? I mean if their bodies really don't have functioning bio (circulatory, nervous, etc.) systems, I would assume that their limbs etc would eventually rot completely off. They certainly wouldn't be able to support their own weight and walk any more. If that were the case then it theory, it should only be a matter of time before the survivors would effectively be out of danger as the walkers would no longer be a viable threat. No? As it stands now, it seems that the walkers can survive indefinitely. I never read the comic series, but I hope that the survivors eventually find peace and can begin restarting their lives.

November 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJ

As far as the electricity and water: they have gasoline powered generators on the farm – they showed Hershel filling them one day. The water is well-water which is pumped to the house via electricity.

November 29, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • BoontaEve

Jacob – I agree with you about zombies eventually decaying and decomposing. In fact, on the first episode the first zombie rick sees (turns out to be the star of one of the webisodes) seems to have been decaying quite a bit, and I only assume it will completely rot after some time. I think its just a matter of time before they all die, but we're to assume that it takes a while because the disease keeps only the necessary parts functioning. Of course...when they feed, do they process proteins, carbs, calories, fats, etc?

November 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. @Dave

I don't mind. Tell us more.Lol

November 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  36. bill shaw

I am 61 years old and I have never been a fan of zombie movies, even when I was a kid and zombies of that era were the result of voodoo curses not some kind of contagious disease. Recently, my youngest son got me to watch Zombieland. As everyone knows, it mixed alot of comedic aspects along with a decent storyline and good acting from the players. The zombies were really secondary to the storyline. I did not watch more zombie stuff after that, because it simply iisn't my cup of tea. In fact, I resisted watching The Walking Dead for that very reason(thinking that Zombieland was the exception to the rule). Then my youngest son talked me into watching an episode with him. I did so grudgingly. I was pleasantly surprised. The show is relationship driven with the zombiies as supporting characters driving the relationships.

It is well written, well acted, well directed. I hope that the producers don't change anything about it. It is exceptional.

November 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mark

This was a good episode. Awhile back another reader mentioned that Sophia was in the barn. Good call! Each show needs to either have a number of good scary walker moments, or an "in your face" scene like Sofia, or what really happened to Otis. These make it worth while to watch. Only a few of these this season. I do like this one a lot but maybe season one was a touch better. They'll have to leave the farm soon otherwise the show will become boring. We need to see the constant adventure in their struggles. Maybe Fort Benning? I predict Darryl and Carol hooking up, and I also predict T-Dog and Carol being the next to go as they don't seem to be very major characters. I also have a very big complaint here for the producers....Way way too many commercials. Even though I Tivo it and fast forward, it still is way out of hand with a bunch of commercials every few minuets This basically ruins every show.

November 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • ANGEL

I agree about the commercials but I think that's this channel. I watched a few other shows on AMC and there were a ton of commercials, Also Spike tv is the same way with a ton of commercials.. And whoever thought that Sophia was in the barn, way to go, because that thought never even crossed my mind.. Honestly, they would have to have picked Sophia up the first night she went missing because how long does it take to become a Zombie once bitten, It's just hard to figure out how Herschel and his people picked up Sophia that fast, without Rick and them knowing.. cant wait till Feb.

November 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walker, Texas Zombie...

This is to Angel... I don't think Hershel picked her up. I was thinking that when she ran away, she stumbled onto the farm and maybe decided to climb into the barn to hide... might have dropped down in there before she realized there were Zombies?

November 30, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • SeanNJ

@Walker, Texas Zombie: Your idea is good on the surface, but when you remember what walkers in packs will do to a living person (like Otis), it's likely that Sofia would've been torn to pieces if she had gone into that barn before she turned.

December 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Pliny

Another episode of 'The TALKING Dead'.

I don't mind the dialog. I'd get bored if the show was just scene after scene of shooting walkers.

I'm just not happy with the balance that they've struck.

I'm glad that they've worn out their welcome at the farm. Things are more interesting/dangerous when they are 'on the road', or in an 'urban environment'.

November 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ANGEL

I definately agree.. I swear if I saw another talking scene between Rick and his Wife, I was gonna puke!! I started fast forwarding their scenes!! but the ending scene definately made up for it, and After this mess, I doubt Herschel is going to let them stay!!

November 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dave

It was a sad ending to Sophia and It's only a matter of taime before Shane gets a bullet..either from rick, Dale or Carl. In the comic, carl is the one that shoots Shane and kills him but Rick goes back to unbury Shane only to see him as a walker. Rick shoots Shane and leaves him out to rot according to the comic. Way, it will get better in Feb.

November 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whomever

Spoiler much!!! Jeeze Dave. Many of the viewers, like myself, are not familiar with the comics and would appreciate not knowing such details, allowing the show to unfold as it will.

November 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

have no fear, whomever. it has been stated several times that the series will not follow the comic. Daryl isn't even in the comic, and he's one of the best characters on the show.

November 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • questing

dave you are an Idi*t with a capital I. keep spoilers to yourself and stop acting like a sore looser with nothing better to do than spoil the fun for others

December 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  40. ELVIS

They shoulda saved that sofa. I coulda raosted her up and pur her on a nanner sandwich.

November 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Walker watcher

Glad they got past the sophia junk. We knew she couldn't survive that long. Glad she got it in the head and that part is dun ! That part of the story was old.

November 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tim

This season has been great mostly because you get to know the characters and you're being shielded from what's going on in the rest of the world which creates a lot of tenstion. I'd get bored quick if every episode was running in and out of cities shooting at zombies. This show is less about the zombies themselves and more about the survivors which is exactly how this season was written.

November 28, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  43. Sam Moore

Also just watching my wifes face while watching the show is worth it all... Great show... the Struggle to survive and the struggle with Humanity or loosing it... Just AWESOME!!!!

November 28, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  44. Sam Moore

Yes, I agree. This season has been the best. I do not mind the lack of Zombies. Getting to know each of the characters a little better and their struggle makes this show so great. What would you do if this happened to you. Could you be strong as a group or would you be a loner and do what ever it took to save you own skin. This is a test of each ones character.... Who would you be like.....

November 28, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  45. JJJic

Night of the Living Dead and Day of the Dead spent much of the time with dialog and they are considered classics. If you had zombie action every minute of the show then it would become boring.

November 28, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  46. RD

Yes, zombie bashing is fun, but the core of this show is the struggle of the characters to carve out an ethical way to live when society is gone. The last 7 episodes have been far more interesting because of the focus on the group's moral dilemmas.

November 28, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  47. Stephanie

OMG I think this years walking dead has been gr8! I love getting to know the characters a little more and this mid season finale was the best yet! What a twist w/Sophia being a walker! I'm loving this season! Can't wait til FEB!!!

November 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  48. xdougx

I agree the last scene was the best of all this season's episodes thus far, but this episode again was mostly cliche dialogue with one action scene.

November 28, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  49. mew aka alecia

@i'm still jealous of her.

November 28, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I very much enjoyed the efforts to develop the characters in the 2nd season. There are plenty of subplots to go around and it will be interesting to see how the remainder of the season unfolds. My only complaint is the "Talking Dead" aftershow. I think the host is obnoxious although he does a good job of keeping things moving. The one hour show provided some good behind the scenes information including the shooting of Sophia's scene. I would imagine that the emphasis to keep Carl secure will be most paramount since he is the only "child" left in the group. February can't get here quick enough...great series.

November 29, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick Grimes4

This season of the Walking Dead was excellent, this issue regarding the lack of zombies is not important. TheWalking Dead is a drama, thats what makes the show so great, it tells a story of people. How they are affected in the event of a zombie apocalypse, how they change, the relationships they develop with people they, potentially people they would have never met if this had not happened. The episodes are the way they should be, you have a problem and in search of a solution you lie individual stories around it and when the solution is near, you smack the viewers in the face with it and it leaves them wanting more. So I loved it, and it is all Rick's fault because he should have taken Sophia with him when he fled from the two walkers rather than telling a little girl to go back to the freeway where she initially ran a mile from! and then he shoots her at the end............more power to you Shane.

November 29, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Priapus

I already figured that Sophia would turn up somewhere as a zombie. Much of this season seems very predictable overall. Is still a good show though but pretty much knowing what is going to happen much of the time takes some of the overall suspense out of it all.

December 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |