Nickelback gets muted reaction at Lions game
November 25th, 2011

Nickelback gets muted reaction at Lions game

After 55,723 signatures voted to replace Nickelback's halftime performance for Thursday's Lions-Packers game in Detroit, the sometimes derided band still took the stage.

And, according to USA Today, it seems some in the stands didn't really mind.

The rock band performed their new single, "When We Stand Together," complete with fireworks and 1,000 local dancers in the background.

The paper observes that while the crowd's reaction wasn't overjoyed, more outcry was shown for the Lions' pre-halftime plays than the group's act.

Prior to Thursday's game though, the protest on the Web was so furious that Funny or Die took the opportunity to turn the outrage into a parody.

In the online petition, Lions fans pleaded with the National Football League to rethink the halftime show, claiming that having Nickelback perform "is completely unfair to those of us who purchased tickets to the game. At least the people watching at home can mute their TVs." Besides, the game was going to be seen nationally - does anyone "really want the rest of the US to associate Detroit with Nickelback?"

But on the day of the game, some Lions fans told USA Today that they felt embarrassed by the petition and had sympathy for Nickelback, while others didn't even know the protest existed. (The online petition ended up falling just under 20,000 signatures short of its goal.)

Either way, we hope the protester who said they'd "rather drink bleach than listen to Nickelback and have them associated with Detroit" just didn't tune in.

Filed under: Music

1. Serious Person

If Nickelback is so bad, how come they've sold a crapload of music? Haven't they sold more tickets than the Lions?

December 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. the_dude

Most people iin detroit have nothing but time on their hands.

December 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rob Morris

With all the crap music out there and lack of instrument playing artists, I'm not sure how the hate is so high for this band...I don't ownj any Nickelback music but come on...These guys are a pretty decent band. Even if they are seen as somewhat commercial. I guess all the artsy fartsy Radiohead folks would disagree. To me, they are junk....

December 5, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Desari

So basically they wanted to cancel Nickelback because it was in Detroit and Detroit is the home of Motown??? Now whos' being just stupid??? Music is music and I'm sure Motown didn't mind it at all...geez....

December 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Annie

Build a bridge and get over it. It's music people! You're all a bunch of 4 years old's.

November 30, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. n2cr8zysht

What a bunch of CRY baby's,Detroit and their lions SUCK.........................

November 30, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff

Like Nickelback or not, they sold 50 million copies of their last CD, in the US. Lots of people like them, sorry that Detroit is to thug for Nickleback. If your "star" player is any representation of the people that live there, no wonder...

November 30, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. johnnnnn

lolol nickelback is terrible but you always have the option to be respectful about how others feel. if you don't like nickelback then simply utilize the time inbetween halves to break the seal or obtain delicious stadium treats. no one is forcing you to listen (and hopefully no one ever will).

November 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. David

What? ...I thought it was going to be a Styx reunion show at half time....boooooo...I want my money back!!

November 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David

What? ...I thought it wqs going to be a Styx reunion show at half time....boooooo...I want my money back!!

November 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. debbie

The only reason sucky Detroiters wanted to protest Nickleback is because they are Canadian. I was born and raised in Detroit and it makes me so embarrassed that they are so prejudiced. I am especially embarrassed that the sound engineers made sure that the mics didn't always work properly. All because of a half-time show for a football game? Come on, Detroit. You gotta stand for something but this ain't it!

November 28, 2011 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. nysro

Nickleback sucks, but detroit is already associated with Kid Rock, Eminem, and the Insane Clown Posse.. no way they can embarass it any further.

November 28, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. SB

What band is not "sometimes derided"? You've just described every band ever.

November 27, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ddsan

does it really matter.. packers kicked butt #loving pack fan

November 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chgn66

Hating Nickleback has jumped the shark. They'll probably get a resurgence because it will be cool to like them.

November 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Gung hoe

Is back come on back roadsniper ,we have differrences to settle

November 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Cba

Looking for talk or not?

November 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Cba

Detroit detroit detroit detroit detroit detroit detoit detroit,sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks

November 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. angel1098

Detroit Sucks....and I live there

November 27, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  20. Andrea

love NickelBack the best dont care what anyone says

November 27, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  21. Ron

Music is a choice, a feel, a taste. Not everyone listens to the same stuff or we'd all be crazy, this is why there are so many kinds of music out there. I don't like rap, but I don't talk crap about it, I just don't buy it. I admit not everything they do is great, but obviously they have some kind of following or they wouldn't be selling music. Posting a comment is one thing, but attacking someone because they don't like what you like is why this country is going to crap. I say we all unite as a country and be the best we can before there is no music to speak of, cause the gov. will tell you what and what not you can listen to.

November 27, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  22. Joe

First thing I said when I noticed Nickelback playing at this game.... Detroit... Nickelback... really? NO.

November 27, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  23. Chad

I want my nickel back.

November 27, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  24. TJQ

Who cares what Detroit fans think about Nickelback? As I predicted, Packers kicked the Lion's backsides anyway. Maybe you loosers should worry more about your loosing team than who's playing music during half time.

November 26, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. radioactive redhead

@wes you seriously need to read. The bands you "gagged" yourself on, are STILL some of the bands playing today and just as popular. Don't be insulting just because you are jealous we all lives in nice houses and you live in a tunnel under the subway

November 26, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Josh

I grew up with Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc. My gf at the time liked her disco..lol. Those were the good old days. I remembered my friends and I would cut out of school some fridays and go off to a lake not too far from us. We would have the tops down, cranking the tunes, smoking p0t, just hanging and enjoying life. Those were the days. I don't think kids have moments like that today.

November 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I know I don't, and never will, because doing drugs is for insecure idiots who think it's "cool". You're much older than me, how can you think skipping school and smoking marijuana were good ideas?

November 27, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Aaron

Wonders if Nickelback listens to their own music.

November 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Wes

Nickleback is for middle-aged white people who also listen to Creed and Puddle of Mudd, and whose idea of classic rock are sh!t bands like AC/DC and Aerosmith. *gag*

November 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lean6

Now what dillweed would consider AC/DC to be classic rock? (sarc) Dude, I hope you just forgot to add the sarcasm tag at the end of that insanity....

November 27, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Stratmaster

Well Wes, we are all waiting eagerly. Please tell us what your idea of a good band is. Who are your favorites?

November 29, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • The Idealist

Really, and NB is still around because of that. We all have different tastes in life. We're human so do get over it and yourself. And the fans overreacted to this situation, if the didn't like it they could have left

November 29, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  29. Brian

The revulsion to Nickelback, at least for me, is that they play watered down grunge music and 99% of their songs sound the same. Also, any band who writes a song with the lyrics "You'd look so much better, with something in your mouth" are just crying for attention.

Nickelback are a bunch of no talent hacks who continue to ride the coattails of a long dead genre, making money off of kids who don't understand that what they are buying is complete crap.

November 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Kinda like the kids did in the 60's when all the music was about stopping a war, or loving each other, GAG......

November 30, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • AMDH

Oh trust me, the kids know what they're buying. I'm a "kid" (13) and i'm around it all the time at school. I've never heard their songs before, but I looked up the lyrics to see what ya'll were fighting about. It stinks, and it's nasty!

November 30, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. nancy

I don't understand people's sudden revulsion to nickleback? maybe It's not sudden, but then again, I'm out of the music loop. It reminds me of when everyone turned on new kids on the block back in the early 90s. I always liked nickleback's song "far away."

November 26, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  31. nice one Detroit

What a pathetic way to waste your energy and time. Go to the bathroom or mill around the stadium during the half time show if you don't like it. Those idiots shouldn't event have a half time show from now on- I'm sure they'll enjoy the boring silence.

November 26, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  32. MArk Moore

Check This Motown Tribute To Nickelback –> http://youtu.be/3KzP4bC1Ypg?hd=1

November 26, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  33. Darcy

Detroit doesn't like music because they have no jobs to keep there self amused that's why all their factorys closed down and lazy we should cut them out of the NFL no respect for other people

November 26, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Where ever you come from needs to invest in better education. I couldn't even understand what you were trying to say..

November 27, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • James

@Brian – Really brainchild...you couldnt decifer that? It gave you a headache? Really?

November 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baelzebub

Hey you uncultured brainless moron, the factories actually closed down because it was cheaper for Ford and the other motor companies to move manufacturing overseas. The people of Detroit did not close the factories down because they "dont like music and are not amused" you dip wad.

December 4, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  34. Artie

Are there still people that actually live in Detroit? Thought they all moved out, and left their poor pets behind, according to many news reports. See DDR-google "Detroit Dog Rescue" to make a kind $ donation. I will personally match all donations. -Art

November 26, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  35. Sue

@ Club: agree with you. There is no need to be mean to other just because they don't share the same music taste with you. Even if you don't like something, there is always polite way to say it. Saying NB is "absolute crap" will not make your band a better one.

November 26, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  36. frank

Club – it is your right to come on here and say that you like NB. It is also my right to come on here and say that they are absolute crap.

November 26, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  37. Club-KO Fitness

I like NB. Not everyone has the same taste in music. If you don't like the band, then that's your personal opinion/choice. No need to come on here and be mean to someone because they like the band.

November 26, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Me

I don't like NB. Not everyone has the same taste in music. If you do like the band, then that's your personal opinion/choice. No need to come on here and be mean to someone because they don't like the band.

November 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles Thomas

I like Nickelback too...and really do not understand the protest, would they rather have Abba, SixtyCent of Lady GagGag ???

November 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelley1690

@ME- Club-KO Fitness wasn't being mean to people who don't like NB.. he was just saying no one has to be rude to anyone because everyone has different tastes in music. I don't like them but I haven't seen a single person who does be mean to someone who doesn't But there's an awful lot of people who don't like NB being mean to people who do..

December 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Karen

Detroit people must have a lot of time on their hands to protest this stuff. I loved the halftime show and we all downloaded When We Stand Together before they were done playing. I hope they made a lot of money from song buyers and I hope Detroitians find jobs.

November 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jsa

That's because you are an easily amused shill who will buy anything.

November 25, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Quit it! You're killing music!

November 26, 2011 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim Hurley

You don't know jack shizz about Detroit honey.

November 26, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • David

People in Detroit definitely have enough time to protest stuff like this.. they're all unemployed

November 27, 2011 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
    • The Anvil

@ Brian
      They are not killing music. I don't like them but, it's the "samplers" who are killing music.
      The takes someones hard work and profit from it. Young people don't have a clue what music really is.
      Is it just "beats"??

November 28, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Shay

You know it would have saved you a lot of time to just say "I have no taste".

November 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Listen "Karen"

Liking Nickelback is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than living in Detroit.

I'd rather be shot than listen to that drivel...

You are an idiot.

November 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Satan

You must be from the Midwest or Florida. Those are the only parts of our country that enjoy this garbage music. Detroit should have pulled a Portugal and thrown rocks at their heads.

December 4, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  39. Smedley

Who gives a sh1t about Nickelback?

November 25, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hitler Jr.

White Trash people care about nickelsack. and white trash only.

December 4, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |