'Idol' alums deliver botched performances on Turkey Day
November 25th, 2011

'Idol' alums deliver botched performances on Turkey Day

Thanksgiving wasn't very kind to two "American Idol" stars: Both season 10 winner Scotty McCreery and runner-up Lauren Alaina were critiqued for turning in head-scratching performances.

"The bigger than life reigning 'American Idol,'" as McCreery was introduced to the audience during yesterday's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, was aboard a parade float to sing "The Trouble With Girls."

But as his song started to play, McCreery stayed silent, gazing off into the distance and breaking the golden rule of lip-syncing: Stay on beat with the song so that you look like you're really singing it.

Meanwhile, Lauren Alaina's YouTube-worthy performance came in at yesterday's Lions-Packers game. The teen singer was scheduled to perform "The Star-Spangled Banner," but skipped a few words and then went silent for a few seconds before getting back in the game. As Fox broadcaster Joe Buck said, it's all in how you finish.

Fellow "Idol" alum Kellie Pickler told Alaina via Twitter to send any bullies her way, and congratulated the teen singer for handling herself "like a pro."

Alaina thanked Pickler and other fans, saying, "I'm not a robot...Thank you everyone for the kind words. But the truth is I messed up. I'm gonna spend the rest of the day being thankful for all my blessings."

Filed under: American Idol 2011 • Music • television

1. Peter North

Boooooooo...I want my money back!! I rather watch Kim Kartrashian's wedding then American Idol....

November 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Will

The only music is the work of Trent Reznor. All other sounds are just insolent noise.

November 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff

American Idol and the other "Talent" shows are a joke and meaningless now. It was interesting the first year but then they should wait 2-3 years between contests because now I wonder "Why didn't year 2 winner show in the first year?" If they were that good in year 2 they should have placed in year 1 right? Kelly Clarkson is great, Carrie Underwood is great. Jordan Sparks is good, Jennifer Hudson has gone on to weigh loss commercial fame. So far American Idol has really produced 3-4 truly musically talented people that have staying power in the music business.

November 27, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mister

II refuse to go to concerts these days because I know that 9/10 they'll be lip-synched...the music business is in sad, sad shape..no recognizes real talent anymore so we we're forced to endure these no-talent losers....

November 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lee

Hey pebbles don't critique me. I know Lauren and since she now lives in CA this is a southern joke between us. You must have a boring life to read comments and then try to correct there English. You can't be from GA. Lol only if you knew ....

November 25, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tammy

I have ZERO TOLERANCE for ANYONE who sings the national anthem & forgets the words, ZERO! Sorry Lauren, you might be human but you don't phuqq up the national anthem. May your career go down the tubes now!

November 25, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdV4X2M2AI&w=640&h=390]

November 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Blake

I've got an idea...If you are going to complain about entertainment stories not being "news" then stop reading them... I'm so sick and tired of people who have nothing better to do than sit around and complain all day.

November 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cris

Lmao @ sockigal

November 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Me

I support Suh!!

November 25, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ndiezel

They will both make more money than any of you in your lifetime!

Since "why is this even news?" guy and the grammar police already checked in, I took the responsibility of completing the tri-fecta of trite, cliched
    responses upon myself. You're welcome!

November 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • applause

And, of course, making all that money means they will continue making it, keep any of it, or that they will have successful, happy or healthy lives because of their money.

December 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ndiezel

They will both make more money than any of you in your lifetime!

Since "why is this even news?" guy and the grammar police already checked in, I took the responsibility of completing the tri-fecta of cliched responses. You're welcome!

November 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ndiezel

They will both make more money than any of you in your lifetime!

November 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sockigal

Non-News. Not sure why it is getting so much press. All the singers at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade were lip sinking. The tap dancers didn't even have taps on their shoes. Scotty and Alania both have proved they can sing great live with only a week practice (from American Idol). The sound is never good at huge one day events. Hard for the singers to hear over the crouds. I can see how they could have easily gotten off beat or rattled. Not even news!

November 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • check yourself

What should be required is spell check. LIP SYNCHING. Did it not occur to you as you were typing that lip SINKING didn't even make sense (or maybe SINCE)?? America is doomed. My poor children. No matter how much I educate them, they will be surrounded by utter idiots.

November 26, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • English

I find myself thoroughly convinced these days that much of the violence around us exacerbated by the inability of people who think they speak the same language to either spell or construct a simple sentence using it, much less to listen with a discerning ear.

December 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HaterAid

And in real news... Kim kardashian farted ...

November 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jill

I love both the young singers and find them to be very talented; I do feel sorry for them that they had to spend their Thanksgiving Day entertaining. Maybe their managers won't do that to them again, since they fell short. They were probably preoccupied with what they were missing at home!

November 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

Jill...you are either a 8yr old with no clue...or a 85yr old with same....they perfom because they WANT to make $$ and get themselves seen, noticed and sell music....sadly those two clowns suck so likely won't help that they screwed up.

November 27, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. pebbles flintstone

Just because someone has a good voice, doesn't automatically make them an entertainer.

November 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Barry

Hey Lee, you should learn how to write a couple of sentence commentary without screwing up before criticizing Lauren for having an issue with the Star-Spangled Banner. And if you can't see where you messed up, read it again. It's there, but since I assume you're not real bright, it might take you a couple of tries. I'll give you a hint. One of your sentences says the opposite of the point you are trying to convey.

November 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jozen

America has run out of talent. Stop back in 5-10 years. Anyone who is good has been spotted already with the countless talent shows we have.

November 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TheWordMaster

.....and this, America, is why we needed to vote for James.

November 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. lee

I am from GA and I think it is time for Lauren Alaina and her mom to get on back home she is embarrassing to us southern folks, I think she needs more singing lessons. Just saying

November 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • debbie

amen! I thought she should have gone home from the auditions. She has no talent and thinks if she dresses up she'll look like a performer. She needs to spend her time learning how to sing.

November 28, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kasi

Really tired of people screwing up our National Anthem. It really isn't hard to screw it up. Ive sung it many times in front of crowds of people and never once messed it up!

November 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

"It really isn't hard to screw it up"

If you're faulting her for screwing up the song, don't you mean to say "it really IS hard to screw up." That's what we call making a mistake. Nobody's perfect.

November 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Matt

American Idol is still on because it still gets great ratings, compared to other shows on TV, which in turn produces advertising revenue for Fox. It's that simple. And the reason why the media isn't talking about those indie artists? It's not profitable, simple as that. As soon as those artists seem like they can attract viewers or readers, they'll be covered by the broader media.

November 25, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jack

Why are you writing about such non-news? Seriously, this season proved that AI is no longer producing stars. Why don't you write about real music news like DJ Afrojack's style, Calvin Harris working w/Rihanna or hard-working nationally known idie artists like D'Manti, Erika Jayne and Kerli?
    Is all the mainstream press paid-off now?

November 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Starr

I have zero knowledge of the people you listed. I watch and enjoy American Idol every year. There are many styles and trends in music. I think that is great that there can be such variety and so many choices for us. Just think how boring it would be if there was only the music that I liked available. Over time, I would even be bored with it. Enjoy the differences!

November 25, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cris

Who??? And, in your immortal words, who cares. This is a general entertainment story, not Billboard Magazine. Deal with it.

November 27, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  25. iommi

complete farce.

November 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. radioactive redhead

Why is this american idol still on the air, along with dancing with the stars?!?!? Who cares!!! I change stations

November 25, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

Because other people like it. Most Broadcast stations rarely cancel a show because of people who don't like it. But if enough people like it they keep it.

November 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

Stopped watching both these pieces of crap TV a couple years ago....wish everyone else would so they'd cancel them. The year of Palin on DWTS was it for me...new judges on AI the same...unbearable CRAP.

November 27, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • j nick

She did great. I can imagine it is very unnerving to sing in front of a national audience!

November 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |