Does 'Breaking Dawn - Part I' cause seizures?
November 25th, 2011

Does 'Breaking Dawn - Part I' cause seizures?

"The Twilight Saga" movies have taken heat for a lot of things - being insipid, melodramatic and/or a poor representation of vampire lore, just to name a few - but the latest installment in the franchise is now being scrutinized for possibly causing seizures.

As cited by U.K. paper The Guardian, there are two reports circulating of moviegoers experiencing adverse health effects during "Breaking Dawn - Part I's" birth scene, described by viewers as graphic.

CBS News' Sacramento station reports that one man was viewing the film with his girlfriend when he began to convulse during the birthing scene.

The Roseville, California man - who has "fulfilled his  boyfriend duties," according to his girlfriend, and won't be asked to see any more "Twilight" films - only remembers waking up on the theater's floor.

His girlfriend, however, recalls being "scared big time" as her companion was "convulsing, snorting [and] trying to breathe."

Another man in Utah, who declined to be identified, told ABC's Salt Lake City station a similar report. According to the man's wife, he began "shaking and mumbling different noises," although he doesn't remember what happened. She says she found herself kneeling in front of him, slapping him in the face.

The bright, flashing lights during the birth scene are being pinpointed as a possible cause for the health scares. A physician specializing in pediatric neurology and epilepsy told CBS' Sacramento affiliate that "an episode of photosensitive epilepsy" can be brought on by flashing red lights in those "who are genetically predisposed," but notes that it's a rare condition.

Filed under: movies • Twilight

1. linds (TWILIGHT FAN!!!)

If flashing red lights cause the seizures then how come when the people that had the seizures get pulled over by cops they dont have seizures then. And when they see red neon lights, i mean come on! there have been pleanty of movies with effects like this and no one had a seizure then. I think its just "twilight haters" that are haveing seizures.

November 29, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

Exactly. Why dont they have seizures when they get pulled over? or when they go to haunted houses? Or sometimes at concerts? or the flashing lights at the circus? It's just ignorant people saying this. I actually thought it was good, and it is supposed to be a teen vampire film... If you dont like the movie then why go see it? Stupid hating retards.

December 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marie

I was at the theater watching breaking dawn and a young girl had a seizure during the birthing scene. I am so surprised to hear of other reports of seizures during the same part of the film.

November 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. christmas

no but it causes excessive amounts of vomiting,, good god this series is horrible.. what drivel....

November 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ryan

I had one at the movie theater a week from this past Saturday while watching this movie at that same spot. i became very lightheaded and dizzy, i felt my face and arms go numb and i kept saying somethings not right.... im not feeling well... I have never had one in my entire life. these people all reacted the same way as i did during this movie.

November 28, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. yep

This is a great way for men to get out of seeing chick flicks with their girlfriends.

November 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cba

Does anybody know where gung hoe went to? I need to get in touch

November 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Vic

I found out I have a seizure disorder when I reacted to flashing red wing lights on a commercial flight. It is called photosensitivity. Not every person with epilepsy reacts to flashing lights, but some do. Trust me... nobody fakes a seizure; it's no fun, especially when you chew on your tongue!

November 27, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. W.A.S.P

@Laura- you sound like a woman scorned just by your comment. lol. Not laughing with you, laughing at you.

November 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. David

Does Bella give birth to a Porygon?

November 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hector

RETARDED*

November 26, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hector

fans of Twilight are retard either way

November 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snorlax

I worked for IBM for thirty years before I retard. Nice to have more free time now that I am no longer working.

November 28, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. jack

It just may be that that this trilogy has put a stake through the heart of the vampire legend, at least as it applies to film. Does anyone really want to make another one of these now?

November 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. teddy

I'm confused. I saw the trailer I would swear this was a zombie movie from the acting.

November 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. fred

I think watching the birth to the undead is bound to have side affects. It's sort of like an animated still birth. "I'm sorry miss but we lost the baby. The good news is he is resting quietly, and you may bring him home today"

November 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. george

just thinking about these flicks, I don't exactly have seizure, but my lip curls up, and I have an uncontrollable urge to spit.

November 26, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Observer

Just the thought of having to sit through two hours of this liberal garbage would cause me to have seizures...

November 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

"Liberal garbage"? In a teen vampire movie? Wow, that's an interesting perspective!

November 27, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
    • gah

liberal garbage? personally, i do think twilight is garbage, but i'd never describe it as liberal garbage. why does everything have to be political? trash is trash, doesn't have to be conservative or liberal

November 27, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Shaun

I went to the premiere with 4 friends and the theater was a full house. No one moved during the birthing scene except for my friend who wasn't enthused at all....She said, I'm going to get a drink...anybody want something?" She used the "so-called-flashing-lights" to make it down the aisle so she wouldn't trip!

November 26, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  18. Laura

Interesting that its only MEN having seizures......lol

November 26, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Angel

Not only men, I had a seizure myself during the birthing scene in the theater. I think the last 20 minutes of the movie were the triggers. and in the last 5 minutes i was seizing.

November 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lynda Stevens

My son also had a seizure during this movie! He is fine now but his life was turned upside down when the doctor said he shouldn't drive and booked a barrage of follow up tests. Thanks to those who put the pieces together!

November 26, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. fred

Twilight has inspired me to never have children. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

November 26, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  21. moron

I think this movie should be shown to school children of that age for education. It's a pretty good, rounded view of childbirth and the way responsible adults should act. Kudos.
    Then again, what do I know i'm a moron : )

November 26, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  22. mistletoe

Now that really sounds freaky!

November 26, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  23. Melissa

Ok people did you read the article? It does not say the birth scenes content caused the seizure, it is the flashing lights during that part of the movie. It has nothing to do with if there was blood or if they got woozy because someone was giving birth. If they put the flashing lights during another part of the movie it would have happened then. It is a medical condition caused by the flashing lights, not men fainting because a baby is being born.

November 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marion

Melissa I totally agree with you but it's useless explaining anything to people with chicken brains that think they are of superior intelect just because they've read the book and knew what was going to happen. Nothing further than that will get trough. It's sad!

November 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Robert

I swear some of these people are idiots. Birthing of the video caused someone to have seizures? I understand the baby tearing out of her stomache was gruesome, but they have more gruesome stuff on AMC's The Walking Dead. So if you can't take the movie, don't freakin' watch it! Simple stuff people!

November 25, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dbag

You're an idiot, learn to read idiot. It's the lights in the scene, not the bad movie content

November 28, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  25. denman25

these were probably all young men with no children. the thought of having a child caused this.

November 25, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Shannon

Last Sunday my 11 year old daughter had a grand mal seizure during the birthing scene. I heard her say, "Mom," and I turned to look at her just in time to see her get a blank stare, slump over to the right and go into a seizure. She does NOT have epilepsy, either. She actually just recently had to go through extensive testing to rule epilepsy out in order for her neurologist to diagnose her with mild Tourettes Syndrome. My daughter DOES get bad migraine headaches, though, and that showed up in one of the EEG tests during the strobe light portion based on her brain wave activity in reaction to strobe lights. So no one should think this can only happen to people with epilepsy, because that's not true. My daughter described feeling sick to her stomach, immediately followed by getting a migraine, blurry vision, the movie began to spin and then it was light black curtains being closed in front of her eyes and she doesn't remember anything until I woke her up a few seconds later. The last thing she remembers before going into the seizure was Edward sticking the needle into Bella's chest. I am 100% positive this was a grand mal seizure because I have worked with someone with epilepsy and have seen plenty of seizures before. If anyone gets migraines and goes to the movie and suddenly feels ill they need to look away from the screen until that scene is over or just skip the movie altogether.

November 25, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • l

i am 11 and that was not gross it wasnt very graphic so your daughter should have been able to take it so you are full of crap

November 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Unbelievable!! It's the flashing red lights, not that it's gross, that causes problems. So many stupid people commenting here. So very sad to see.

November 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • theresa

and what 11 yr old speaks with so much disrespect to an adult......I , you need to 1st read the article and re-read Shannon's comment and 2nd learn some manners.

November 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zach

My 18 year old son also had a seizure during the birth scene. Visit https://sites.google.com/site/breakingdawnseizures/home where I am tracking cases.
      -Zach

November 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jena

Children should not see this movie. It's way too graphic for children to comprehend/understand, and I'm guessing could cause nightmares.

November 28, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  27. Misty

I don't understand the "graphic" description of the birth scene. I was expecting ALOT WORSE when I went to see it, but it was NOTHING. Not anywhere near as graphic as it SHOULD have been. Stupid PG rating. Ugh. So Edward had some blood on his mouth... WHOOPTY Fa-REAKING Doo. Get a grip people.

November 25, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shannon

Misty, it's not about the content in the movie. It has to be the flashing lights during that section of the movie. Some people are sensitive to that and can either get a seizure from it or get a bad headache. Apparently when they were editing the movie they must have made those flashes of light happen at too high of a threshold, causing problems for some people.

November 25, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

That's what I'm saying, people making a big deal out of nothing. Ok let's jsut make it this way. People who are to weak to watch Bella have a baby, don't go. Ok.. -claps hands-... ok.. thank you.

November 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Nancy

What I don't understand is..... why did these people not read the book before seeing the movie?

All true Twilight Fans know what happens in Breaking Dawn....the birth scene is intense......slightly gory..but SO important to the continuation of Bella and Edwards story. They are after all Vampires. And this is how Edward finally changes her............a monumental moment in the Saga.

November 25, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • l

i know it took me maybe 2 or 3 days atleast their is another fan like me

November 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Did you even read the article? Flashing red lights can cause seizures. Do you think the book says anything about how it's going to be filmed years later????????

November 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWCGocD56Q&w=640&h=390]

November 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Smedley

Just the thought of *going* to see a Twilight movie sends me into convulsions.

November 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

and vommiting don't forget the uncontrollable vommiting!

November 26, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • linds (TWILIGHT FAN!!)

November 29, 2011 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  31. Club-KO Fitness

Maybe they need to stay off the crack be4 they go in and see the movie.

November 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  32. karen ferguson

maybe not seizures
    but my pregnant daughts waters broke in the Q at the cinema , we watched the film and then went to the hospital where they confirmed labour had started, baby girl born on Sunday 20th Nov
    and if anyone can't take a film scene containg child birth – I don't recommend parenthood for them -wooses

November 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMcCaffrey

Did you read the article? It's the flashing lights in the scene thought to cause the problem – not the fact that the scene showed child birth...

November 27, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Pebbles Flintstone

Didn't you read the article? The birthing scene contained flashes of light that can trigger certain kinds of seizures in the brain. Although rare, things like this have happened before.

November 27, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  33. knudsens

I don't see how this movie can cause seizures.

November 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |