'X Factor' loses the two weakest links
November 24th, 2011

'X Factor' loses the two weakest links

"X Factor" got serious on Wednesday night.

Normally during elimination night, we watch guest musicians perform, the finalists do a group song and then in the last few minutes someone gets cut. But not this week.

Instead, we saw one act get their walking papers minutes into the show, and then the second singer get the cut minutes before the show ended. I will admit it was a weird roller coaster ride from the get go, but it certainly made the show interesting.

Let’s take a look:

First cut

So right off the bat, Drew Ryniewicz and the group Lakoda Rayne were pulled aside with their judges. And just like that, Lakoda Rayne was on the chopping block! (As this iReporter points out, Lakoda Rayne's elimination means there aren't any groups left.) But if their country music fans have anything to do with it, you will indeed see Lakoda Rayne again.

Guest performances

After that elimination, Kelly Clarkson took the stage to sing her latest single, “Stronger.”

Clarkson, who always seems to deliver a strong performance, did just that. With no background dancers, it was just her on stage in a tight beige bandage dress. She looked and sounded great, and it was nice to hear from the woman who won "American Idol" many years ago. She was a true inspiration to the contestants since she essentially showed them how their careers can have longevity. Nice job, Kelly!

Bruno Mars also performed, going with the hit from the soundtrack “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1” called “It Will Rain." Mars is known for being and looking cool through every performance, and he looked the part last night. He hit all the right notes, and the chorus sounded just like he was in the studio – smooth!

Last cut

The second and final elimination was VERY predictable! As much as we loved the nearly 60-year-old crooner LeRoy Bell, I think many people wondered how he got so far on "X Factor!"

What was surprising was the fact that Bell was put in the bottom two against show favorite Marcus Canty, which left Canty singing for dear life on the show and wondering what went wrong.

But after Bell’s stellar heartfelt performance and Canty’s good but average showing, the judges were split on who they should send home. L.A. and Simon wanted Marcus to stay, while Paula and Nicole wanted to keep around LeRoy.

This was the first time we've had a deadlock on the show, and so the viewers got the chance to decide! Host Steve Jones said in a situation like this, the judges lose their power, and instead the show looks back at how viewers voted in the past for Canty and Bell.

The act that got the lowest number of votes so far this season was going to be the one to leave, and so the eliminated contestant ended up being LeRoy Bell. And although I’m sure Bell was sad to go, something tells me he is relieved to not have to deal with the pressure each week and the constant negative criticism.

Before leaving, Bell said, “I’m actually feeling okay. It was a great ride. It was a wonderful journey. I learned a lot and gave it my all tonight.”

So, did "X Factor" cut the 2 weakest links? Let us know in the comments below, or chime in with an iReport.

1. Youngy Perink

Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was searching for! "The right to be heard does not autmatically include the right to be taken seriously." by Hubert Humphrey.

July 12, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. issa

i am amazed by the xfactor judges

November 27, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. amyinaz

I understand Astro is not a fan favorite but I think some people are losing site that he is still a kid. It is not right to talk about any kid in such a bad manner. Yes, he may need to grow up but he is only 15. Give the kid a break. Besides, his songs aren’t bad. I don’t think he is going to win X-factor but he does have some talent. Hopefully he grows up and behaves better. Until then, adults need to behave like adults.

November 27, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • mi girl

I am getting to the point that I do not even like x factor any more. I can't stand the fact that they have to tell the contestant's story over and over again every time. Astro is ungrateful and will grow up to be another Chris Brown. Stacy Francis sucked and lied about her situation.It is not as good as american idol-they waste so much time

November 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sharongross

What happened to rock week????? There are sooo many amaing rock tunes out there!!! No one picked them!!! How dissapointing!!!....

November 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lima

ASTRO OR WHAT EVER THE HELL HIS NAME IS NEED TO GO HOME. OR PEOPLE WILL STOP WATCHING THE SHOW LITTLE SON OVER BBBBB NEEDS TO GO HOME.

November 26, 2011 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. L.J.

BYE BYE ASTRO...GET THAT UNTALENTED CRY BABY OFF THE SHOW NOW!! HE IS BORING AND MAKES US SICK!!
    ARE U SURE HE IS NOT RELATED TO THAT KANYA WEST IDIOT? BOTH OF THEM NEED TO BE SENT TO AN ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF NOWHERE!

November 26, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. LINDA AIKIN

ASTRO NEEDEDE TO GO RIGHT OF THE BAT......HE SUCKS AND WHO WANTS TO LISTEN TO THAT....BELL SHOULD OF NOT BEEN LET GO...COME ON HOW COULD DO YOU JUDGES MAKE YOUR CHOICES.....BY THE SINGER OR BY WHO CAN KEEP THEIR GROUPS BIGGER NO MATTER WHAT.....ASTRO SHOULD OF BE TAUGHT A LESSON....POUR BABY BOY AT THE BOTTOM 2...AND CRYS....WAIT TIL HE GET INTO A BIG CONCERT AND GET BOOOOOD........GET ASTRO OFF..............

November 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. james

What Astro does is not talent. He is terrable and has no manners and should not even be on this show. I quite watching x factor because he is on the show. If he remains they will lose the real music lovers. He cant ever remember the lyrics to what he is trying do. This show sucks and hope it goes away

November 25, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BeavHass

All you complaining about Astro have no clue what you are saying. He is 15 years old and his lyrics are unreal. Listen to what he says. He writes everything! I am an astronaut!

November 25, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gerrie

I was really surprises to learn that Marcus was in the bottom two, come on he's a very talented and diverse singer. He reminded me of the old days when you needed talent to when a contest. I am team Marcus and he has my support.

November 25, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  11. 30307

I personally felt Chris Rene should have been in the bottom two. I think Leroy was never really given a chance to show off his talent - despite the fact that she tries, I don't think Nicole is the appropriate mentor for the over 30s.

Regarding all the ugly comments about Astro - remember he is only 13 years old - OK he did not handle himself very well several weeks ago, but the kid is talented and he learns fast. I really think by the end of the season, he will have matured a lot.

November 25, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. JM

I feel that Simon Cowell copped out. As a judge he should have decided on the basis of their life saving song and undoubtedly Leroy Bell sang the better of the two. The normally voluble Simon was unfair to him in his capacity as judge; perhaps looking to his capacity as producer of the show. He should call himself Simon Coward after this!

November 25, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. Justified

Plez....give Astro a break...I am not even a Hip Hopper and I know he has talent....yes he had an outburst, but so what.... it made the show interesting...glad those four ladies went because they were "B's" in the talent..as was the 60 year old...nice voice, but no star power...and that is what the X is suppose to be about...star power. So the top in my view is Astro, the long haired blues singer and Simons'favorite who has a great voice but she needs new material....no more gospel backup singers....find your groove and get into it..

November 25, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nancy

And Astro??? A hood from the hood in the making......another JZ.......did the crimes but is makin money off of America and laughing fine.......him and his beeitchsay wife.........

November 24, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

@Nancy.........Racism is still alive in America isnt it??????? it is ashame that you are either too old or too ignorant to understand today's American hip hop/soul culture that what you said is very hateful!!!!! Every young black man is not a 'hood from the hood'. They are not all after your white daughter just to pis s in your cornflakes and laugh at you. Get a life and learn something new before it is too late!!!!

Actually both Marcus and Astro appear to be representing themselves very well. Yes Astro had his temper tantrum last week but at the same time, there are alot of teenagers in this country that do the same thing BUT cause it isnt captured on national TV, it goes unnoticed.

November 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nancy

And Simon caved........he knew Leroy was the better singer...but he didn't want to tick off LA or those fans who think that soul music is "all that"........Mr. Canty should have been voted off.

November 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Nancy

Kelly Clarkson looked "great". Please....she is still overweight.........why does her team not talk to her? She could be so pretty if she lost 30 pounds!

November 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer H.

Kelly was great, and honestly I feel you are so ignorant for making the statement that she could be so pretty if she lost 30 pounds. She has been in the industry for almost 10 years, which was great to the show the contestants that people from shows like that can have longevity in the game. And irregardless of her weight, Kelly is gorgeous. It's people like you that cause girls with amazing talent to have low self esteem and feel they are not good enough because of a few extra pounds.

November 25, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Marylin

WOW, You really are a gem arn't ya!

"She could be so pretty if she lost 30 pounds" ...really?

Do us all a favor and grow a brain you low life piece of crap.

November 25, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  17. shelley

Astro stinks and does the same thing every time. And why Chris Rene is still there is beyond me..he has no talent
    and is being kept on the show because he just came out of rehab, I'm sure.

Does anyone who writes these comments have a clue as to spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.? It's a sad commentary on the people of this country to see the lack of intelligence here.

November 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bev

I LOVE CHRIS RENE !!!! HE IS STILL ON THE SHOW, BECAUSE HE DESERVES TO BE THERE !!!

November 25, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Shelley is one more grammar expert!!

I think the sad commentary lies less with people's ability to use grammar properly and more with your superiority complex. Are you really that shocked and surprised that people posting on an internet blog do not always remember what they were taught in school?? Why do you always make it a point to be so critical??

I know. My comments have opened me up to become your next victim in your quest for grammar superiority, so get out your red pen and go to work!!

November 29, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Penelope

I totally agree with the others about Astro. I do not understand the judges knocking down the other contestants about not going Rock...but they say nothing about Astro? He sounds the same...does the same.....but then I can not understand anything he says.. I am so tired of him...Okay he writes his material, but this is the X Factor not the Wrap Writing Factor..

November 24, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. sonia

Astro is my least favorite – an annoying obnoxious turd. Can you really see him engaging an audience for a whole show??? even his young Hip Hop fan base would get bored after the second song.

November 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. patrice

LeRoy Bell has a beautiful voice,but i was always bored watching him he didn`t have that xfactor. Astro writes his own lyrics every week, i`m cutting the kid a break, this time, i enjoy his preformance every week....but i,m team Racheal...

November 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. trish

I was horrified that they kept Astro – what a terrible message to send the youth of today that you can act so badly and be kept – he also is not as talented as LA Reid thinks he is.

November 24, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Larry

The problem with this show and American Idol is that the teenagers are putting through there peers. Groups and the older folks dont have a prayer. I totally agree with everyone that this kid Astro has to go, but does he really get votes or do they keep him on for ratings. You kind of wonder. One of the best things about shows like this, is that people with talent can show them and hopefully they get picked up for a record deal.

November 24, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Bret

You all don't seem to understand, they want the next big thing, and it wasn't going to be a 60 yr old. Also, if you noticed no country singers made it past the coaches homes episode. Why because Simon don't do country. Thats why Lakoda Rayne left. The winner will be one of the girls or Josh the burrito guy. Personally I think Josh is the best singer, so far I don't think he has had a bad performance, and he seems to be able to sing any type of song.

November 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aquilla

Lakoda rayne didnt leave cause Simon doesnt like country. Lakoda Rayne left cause they had the lowest votes. cause they have the lowest fan base, and cause it all honesty. they sounded like bad karaoke. The young voters of America make up the biggest part of the votes in America and country is not the next big thing. Hip Hop is what the young voters like. Why do you think the pepsi viewer thing they had last nite had hip hop dancing? Its what the viewers wanted. Stacy Francis and Leroy would have just been average stars. She has been chasing her dream for how long now? The two who will have the most success win or lose will be Rachel and Astro

November 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Deb

First time I've ever agreed with each preceding post on a blog. Astro is a thorn in everybody's [back]side except a few diehards, Marcus did NOT 'sing for his life', I don't get the popularity of the slightly talented singer named Chris Rene, and Leroy's final song was his best ever. Loved Lakoda Rayne. But this isn't a show about talent. It's about "The X Factor"–the ability to stir an audience. Trained elephants can do that. I wanna see singers who can sing ON–not OFF–key. That pretty much leaves Melanie and, to some extent, the others. But does anybody really care what I think?

November 24, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Cool Papa

All I've been hearing from L.A. Reid is that Drew needs to show something different. He says she sounds the same every week. Whoa! What? But you give AssBro a pass each week for doing what he says that Drew does. At least Drew can sing. After his little tantrum last week I thought that America would have booted his ungrateful little butt all the way back to Brooklyn on the first flight out of L.A. Some say that Chris Rene is the same as AssBro, easy there; Chris sings, Chris has a presence and he isn't a spoiled little brat. Does the X Factor really want AssBro representing them? Uh, how many ways can you say BAD DECISION? One more rant. 2 weeks ago Paula starts whimpering because she can't make a decision. Paula, news update; YOU ARE A JUDGE, JUDGES MAKE DECISION. DO WHAT YOU WERE HIRED TO DO!! Simon, what was that crap last night? I'll let America make the decision? I've got nothing bad to say about Nicole. She's just too damned beautiful!! I hope LeRoy does something with the exposure that he's received. He's a gentleman, he has a beautiful voice and oh, by the way, regardless of your age my girlfriend thinks you're hot. Is there anything going on with you and Nicole? If so, you are one lucky man. If not, make it happen. Everytime she looked at you her eyes would get glazed over. Good luck to you, My Brother

November 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dave

Couldn't agree more. Astro has got to go. Really, 'sing for your life' performance isn't real. Why have it. LeRoy and Stacey were better, but it didn't matter.

November 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. michelle garcia

Astro should go home , that's the style today . That's hip-hop . He will make it . That's the new generation get used to it .

November 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. mikee

Astro and Chris Rene should be the next to go.

November 24, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tamara

I agree that Chris Rene should not be on the show.Also that Astro is ungrateful.It is supposed to be a singing show and he has yet to do so.Msarcus Canty and Melanie should be the last two.I am also a huge fan of Rachel.Let's hope the one that wins is truly the one that deserved it!

November 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lojenk

November 24, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rhonda

They did not get it right! Astro should have been the first to go, so none of the judges could waffle and save him. And the bottom two after that, I admit LeRoy hasn't been the strongest but if they really base their vote on that final 'sing for your life' performance, it should have been Marcus leaving. Besides the fact that he will get a contract out of this no matter what, where it might be a bit harder for LeRoy because of his age. And I can't stop thinking about poor Stacey who was sent packing last week after witnessing that brat's behaviour. Maybe she thought it would be best if that's the way they are going to operate. L.A. Reid needs to go. I'm not impressed with anything he says or has apparently done or who he knows (according to his constant name dropping). He's the only one impressed with himself.

November 24, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda Sego

I totally agree. Asto is a brat. I hated seeing Leroy go. I looked forward to watching him sing. His smooth sound and coolness made my heart pound. I am hoping we can download some of his music.

November 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Hey Dumbas ses......It is called RAP not SINGING. IF you would pull your heads out your lilly white as ses you would know that he did much better than Leroy Bell and Lakoda Rayne. He is a 14 yr old and his skills of telling a story with his words is unmatched by any of the other contestants. Will he win???? NO!!!! did the outburst from last week sour alot of people???? YES!!!!! but that doesnt mean he doesnt have a talent. to berate him as a spoiled brat is unfair.....go look at your own kids and see if they are ALWAYS perfect before criticizing somebody Else's parenting skills!!!!!!!!

November 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. DeeDee

Too bad that they kept that spoiled little brat who has yet to actually sing one note and sent home a very nice gentleman who sang his heart out for us. Astro GO HOME!!!!!!

November 24, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Natalia Sargison

My husband and I were absolutly stunned and frustrated about the fact of elimination of LeRoy and letting Astro to continue the competion. What were the judges thinking about, what was Simon thinking about at that moment when he could save us all from that ungreatfull, untalented boy? God, that guy CANNOT sing, we never head a single note from him apart from this declamation ( but the way, it's impossible to understand a word of his recitation!). The act like this make us think that the judges aren't looking for the true talents. My husband was so disguised buy them, that he refused to watch X-Factor in future. I would drop it too, but I still has hope for Melanie, Rachel and Josh Crachek.

November 24, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. agreed

I agree with "The Moose". I totally hate Astro. He needs to go. Want to talk about sounding the same every week? He sounds the same every week! I am an Astro-NOT!

November 24, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anita

I cannot stand that little kid!!! His parents even had the nerve to get up there and defend him! He needs his hind end busted until they beat some respect into that little punk! If my kid behaved that way, I would pull him out of the show myself and concentrate on raising him right instead of worrying about the money. If he wins, and I doubt he does, this will be my last time following this show.

November 25, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  34. The Moose

I wanted Astro to be voted off. He should have been thought a lesson. I wonder what the voters were thinking when obviously they had voted for him and he didn't end up in the bottom two. Sad. – lack of values.

November 24, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • kenny

I agree 100% your right on with your comments Astro isnt good at all. Im sure he thinks he is. They could let him go and I will be relieved

November 27, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • SKiey

hop off astro he awesome so bye yall keep wit da tymes

November 30, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |