Jennifer Hudson: My fiance saved my life
November 24th, 2011

Jennifer Hudson: My fiance saved my life

Jennifer Hudson opens up about the tragic 2008 murder of her mother, brother and nephew in the December/January issue of Ebony, revealing that if it weren't for her fiance David Otunga, she might not be alive today.

The 30-year-old Oscar winner tells the magazine that it was because of wrestler Otunga, whom she had baby David Daniel Jr. with in 2009, that she wasn't at home at the time of the killings.

"That's one of the things that saved my life, because I could have been home with my mom then," Hudson tells Ebony via People. "[Otunga] wanted me to come out to Florida with him instead of going to Chicago."

She did fly out to see him, and "that's why I'm still here," Hudson continued. "I've never said that before, and I can't believe I just said that now. But I didn't know. He was just like, 'I'm going to this wrestling thing, it's in Tampa. I'm going out there now, so you can come out there and see me versus going home.'"

Hudson has been largely silent on the murders of her family members, but she did discuss the tragedy in a 2010 episode of VH1's "Behind the Music," explaining that her slain relatives still have a strong presence in her life.

“My brother drives me in my music, my son reminds me of my nephew," she said, "and being a mother reminds me of my mother."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Truth

Doesn't matter, I have more money and power than you could ever imagine. Hate is a powerful tool in the hands of powerful people. And money = power.
    P.S. There is no God, you f$%#ing moron. But have fun with your imaginary friend in the sky.

November 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. the oracle

Sky

You are right.
    Sin is sin there's no two ways about it. It's all our resiponsbility to remind each other of how far we can go with our behavear, otherwise there's was no need for prophets and God's messngers. Its our duty to rebuke and correct each other or God wld be appearing himself to correct us if judgement is only for God. Since we live and die once if God judges us after death when will we live to exercise the holy ways. Its not God's wishes that we perish.

November 27, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. blessed

AMEN SISTER!!!

November 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. @sky

you give christians a bad rep. everyone sins and there are no levels of sin. sin is sin. stop judging ppl. and btw mr or mrs "holy" sky you just sinned yourself by saying "stfu"...just sayin.

November 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SKY

FACT: HER FIANCE WANTED HER TO BE WITH HIM -(FORNICATION) SLEEP OVER
    SOMETHING THE GOD OF THE BIBLE HATES...SHE WAS LUCKY...
    I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL THE TRAGEDIES THAT PEOPLE EXPERIENCES.
    I JUST BELIEVE IF YOU SING GOSPEL MUSIC AND TALK THE GOD TALK
    YOU SHOULD HAD GODLY CONDUCT..AND IF NOT JUST LEAVE GOD
    OUT OF WHEN TALKING SPIRITUAL THINGS....GOD IS HOLY

November 26, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. calvin

God has placed Jennifer with many talents. I love her gospel music, it too bad not more is put into that. Also it was He who sustained her from the tragedies of her family. The fiance was the ram in the bush that he used for escape. Jennifer it should be to God Be the GLORY!!!

November 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jae

@calvin who says she hasn't thanked God? Plus the media publishes what it wants....geez get off her a**

November 26, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. @SKY

Stfu hypocrite.

November 25, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. SKY

FACT: AND FOR THIS HE GETS ALL YOUR MONEY, AND THE BABY DOES NOT HAVE A LEGAL DADDY...
    MAN MARRY THE WOMEN...A MAN WILL TAKE AND TAKE AND TAKE WHY BUY ANYTHING
    IF HE CAN GET IT FREE.....

November 25, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • right_is_right7

@sky

Did your mom have all brainless children...or are you her only one?

November 25, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. @vicky

What the h e l l are you talking about?

November 25, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. T.rex

I really admire her equally for her strength and her talent. I know that its such an awful thing that she would've done anything to somehow have changed what happened, but it was something beyond her control, and she's done the best she can in spite of it.... I wish her all the happieness and success in the world.

November 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. smilingiseasy

I hope to see that wedding better than then Kardasians seriously getting to know someone versus just up and getting married I wish the best for her and David she can sing her butt off.

November 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. vicky

I had several reviews being filtered out before on other subject. Why this "Truth" guys review got through. What is this place, CNN or nazi concentration camp?

November 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jboogie

My prayers will always be with you and your family Jennifer. I would love to see your life done in a movie, because you have a message for the world. Hollywood what's taking so long on her life story. Her life story is important to the world has much as Cassey Anthony's the child murder.

November 24, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Daen

Truth you is what is really sad. God loves us all and even you. Just be careful the hate and digust you show for others will definately be shown to you. God dont like ugly and you are truly ugly inside and thats the truth.

November 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |