USC study confirms gender inequality in film
November 23rd, 2011

USC study confirms gender inequality in film

Confirmed by science: Women are underrepresented in movies. According to the Los Angeles Times, a USC study finds that almost 70 percent of speaking roles belong to men.

USC's Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism examined the top 100 grossing movies of 2009, specifically categorizing the 4,342 speaking roles by gender. Women, meanwhile, buy more than 50 percent of the movie tickets.

This ratio also isn’t evening out over time; it’s staying the same.

"We see remarkably stable trends," said USC Annenberg associate professor Stacy L. Smith of the gender inequality apparent in Hollywood. "This reveals an industry formula for gender that may be outside of people's conscious awareness."

The study also found that, unsurprisingly, when women make or write movies, they feature significantly more female characters.

Smith says this is the outcome of male writers and directors telling the stories they know. "If the numbers behind the scenes move,” Smith predicts, “we're likely to see numbers on-screen move."

1. Mosessss

Suffer not a wich to live nor a woman to speak but chastise them with your rod. Or something like that.

November 30, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. BIG HOSS

LOL. BV is a dude. I always thought so. Plus admitting you are Mr. Ed and Starfire. I bow down to you. You are the master troll.

November 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Battered Woman, Bruce Jenner

Inequality on film? Kris makes me sit down to pee!!

November 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jen

Stfu vixen no1 cares if your neeeked.

November 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Name (required)

Im a neeeked woman. One with big thingies.

November 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Anomic Office Drone

I feel like this is true of all fiction, not just movies.

November 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pliny

70% of movie speaking roles go to men.

In real life, where women are involved, it's more like 7%.

November 23, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. derp

The short fat dude in the white hat has a pretty good gig hanging out with all of those chicks.

November 23, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. @truth

Proof pleeze. Moron.

November 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tracie

I'm a woman and I think this is hogwash. 2 girls 1 cup is the height of the womens movement.

November 23, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

>>>I'm a woman.

No. You are not. You barely qualify as a human being.
      Go away. Nobody finds your funny or interesting.
      You are boring and pathetic.

November 23, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Evel Knievel

Men have more speaking roles because in the real world women talk too much. We go to movies to escape reality.

November 23, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful Vixen

@Evel: Hi, hope you are having a great day. Yesterday I send you a msg but then erased it and the other two from previous. Just now sure how things are set up. I think you know what I’m talking about. Anyway, I will contact you tonight or tomorrow to wish you all the usual for Thanksgiving. Ttyl luv. Mwwaahh!

November 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Beautiful Vixen

@Truth, Lol .. shut up silly :]

November 23, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. truth

Also Fix in Texas=Mr. Ed. Only deacent honest blogger on here is Tracie.

November 23, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. TJones

Geez, I hope the taxpayers didn't have to foot the bill for yet another university study performed to state the obvious.....

November 23, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. truth

truth. BV=Mr. Ed=Starfire=guy that works at nursing home and possibly lives in texas and drives truck=THE TROLL.

November 23, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. AmeraRunnin

Im a latina and I see this type of inequality everywhere. When I am buying groceries the clerks are always eyeballing me. They run some yellow pen over my money when I check out. They dont do this to white girls. Us latinas and latinos need to organize a boycott against this raciam. Aztlan Ahora.

November 23, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. Just sayin

You cannot prove this by the cast of "2 girls one cup"...

November 23, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  18. Pliny

Traci....you pathetic excuse for a human being.

For you, justice will be anal-cancer.

November 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |