Judges clash and Astro gets humble on 'X Factor'
November 23rd, 2011

Judges clash and Astro gets humble on 'X Factor'

Remember when watching "The X Factor" was fun and easy a few weeks back? These days, I get tense because there are so many uncomfortable moments from both the judges and the contestants! And Tuesday proved that.

The show should have been about the nine remaining finalists performing and then the judges responding, but that’s not the way it played out. Some performances stood out, yes, but so did two other incidents.

Let’s talk about last night's highs and lows:

Astro eats humble pie!

ALL eyes were on this teen rapper from Brooklyn because of how he handled himself last week, acting disrespectful and forgetting that it was a privilege just to be on the show. Needless to say, that didn’t go over well.

All that disappeared on Tuesday night when a new and improved Astro appeared. He changed the words to Jay-Z’s “Show Me What You Got" to sum up how he feels about what he did last week and how he meant absolutely no disrespect.

After his performance and before the judges spoke, Astro had this to say: “Last week I had a moment where it got over my head a little bit. I could have handled myself better and to team Astro and all the Astronauts across the world, but mostly hip-hop, I’ll never let you down again.”

His apologies didn’t go unnoticed, with the judges basically giving an "it's all good" with regards to Astro. (At least for now, until the next temper tantrum.)

The showdown over Drew Ryniewicz

Drew is one of the best singers in the competition, but for some reason her singing this week caused a BIG brouhaha amongst two judges: Simon and L.A.. It all started with what L.A. said about her song choice, Demi Lovato’s “Skyscraper.”

He told her he didn't get her song choices, saying that she doesn't choose age-appropriate material. Those are the words that caused Simon to hit back hard, saying he's "sick to death" of L.A.'s "pointless stupid criticism of this girl... You are talking complete and utter rubbish ...You are trying to make people feel that she is worthless and she is not.”

These two weren’t acting, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they stop talking to one another for the remainder of the season, since this is not their first fallout. Very awkward.

And yes, there were other performances: No one knocked it out of the ballpark on Tuesday, but some came closer to it than others.

Singers Rachel Crow, Josh Krajcik, Marcus Canty, Melanie Amaro, Lakoda Rayne and Chris Rene all got the seal of approval from the judges. All six gave it their best and hit their marks. I’d be seriously surprised if any of these six went home.

The remaining three - LeRoy Bell, Drew Ryniewicz and Astro - got mixed reviews.

LeRoy has been the underdog for weeks, but finally Simon threw him a bone, saying, “This is the first time that I felt that I got to know you more." Bell’s face lit up after that remark. It was so nice to finally see him get a single compliment, and he deserved it.

Astro did well but Simon thought the song choice wasn’t the best, and we may as well face facts that Drew will probably never win over L.A. Reid. It’s not so much her talent as much as it is the fact that she plays it safe and never gets out of her comfort zone.

Tonight, Bruno Mars and Kelly Clarkson perform, and two contestants will get the boot. Who do you think is the next to go?

1. Jean

I honestly don't see one talent on the show worthy of a $5MM recording contract. Astro should not have been allowed back to perform as he proved that he is much too young to handle the ups and downs of show biz. And I agree with Kareen above that rappers are not singers. Of the remaining contestants I'd go with Josh even tho I truly like Rachel
    Crowe who, here again, is quite young. I'm sure she will become a star in the future as she matures a bit more.

November 24, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. New Circus in town

XFactor is the new circus act. The judges are the clowns. The host is the ringmaster. The rappers are the jugglers. And the singers are the trained animals.

November 24, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kareen

Astro's half assed apology didn't do much for me.
    When I see him, I see a very young punk who raps and there are dime a dozens of and I don't think of that as singing.

November 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rappa

I did not know that people who cannot sing can become final contestants at XFACTOR. Astro is a rapper not a singer. XFACTOR should have opened up auditions to ALL RAPPERS. There are millions of starving rappers in the USA who would want a piece of that $5 million dollars. Calling all RAPPERS!!! Next year, make sure you audition at XFACTOR. Every single one of you RAPPER should audition. You do not need to have a singing talent!!!! Rappers!! Audition at XFACTOR in 2012. No singing talent required. All you have to do is recite the lyrics of the song!!!!

November 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PEMcC

Thank you Simon for telling Mr. Reid like it was. I to am tired of his bias remarks of other contestants other than his own. He should be the one voted off.

November 23, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Art Vandolay

This show is stupid. Can't get into it–tried my best. Gimme my American Idol anyday. -Art

November 23, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

Nobody on this show has any talent. Bring back the voice. And no more of the weekly tears and sob stories. They are annoying

November 23, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. UNCLE CRIMMAS

PLUS ASTRO IS A DOGS NAME. ASTRO JETSON. Rappers are gay sissy crybabys.

November 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. UNCLE CRIMMAS

YEAH ! I hope the put the smackdown on that rapper boy. He is a crybaby just like charlote. Get stuck in the web lately charlote? CRY BABY.

November 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rhonda

If anyone believed one word of what Astro said last night, then you really are out to lunch. This kid said what he said because he was told to, no other reason. He's not sorry for his behaviour, he's sorry for the backlash he got. And if it happens again, hopefully tonight, he will react the same if not worse. I'm sorry, I know there are a lot of famous rappers, but rap is not music. Anyone that can recite a rhyme to music can rap, that doesn't mean it's making music or that they have talent. This kid has got to go.

P.S. if you have to ask if someone is a celebrity, chances are they are not.

November 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tricia

Ive been posting for a while and have never heard of Charlotte in Alabama until today. Is she a really famous celebrity?

November 23, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DENISE

I think that the next 2 to go will be Laqoda Rayne and Leroy Bell.But I have been known to be wrong....

November 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tree

Children Children please stop fighting. Bottom line Astro has a problem with losing, so he is not ready for big time.
    Drew have a problem as well she is not ready and she can not sing. She puts me asleep. The dance group I will say this again they SUCK. Rachel Crow cute but.............not ready to young. LeRoy Bell every older woman dream,Chris Rene he is good but i hope he can handle the rejuection and don't go back out there in the zone, Josh Krajcik, Marcus Canty and Melanie Amaro is worthy of the 5mil. There you go. Now children you can go outside and play.Charlotte in Alabama please don't leave there is always one. so don't X out.

November 23, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Name (required)

Grow up.

November 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Charlotte in Alabama

Likely story. I dont think so.

November 23, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Charlotte in Alabama

Im not posting. It is someone else. I think it is alecia.

November 23, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Charlotte in Alabama

Ohyes you are Charlotte. Plus I thought you werent going to post on here anymore.

November 23, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Charlotte in Alabama

Am not. I am not stoopid.

November 23, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Charlotte in Alabama

Plus BV IS NOT a jerk. I think you are stoopid cahrlotte.

November 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Charlotte in Alabama

Im not a posting on these blogs anymore. It is just 1 jerk that keeps trying to run everyone off. Im not sure who you are but im sure you are BV.

November 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • ghetto girl

this is how you spell (STUPID) I GUESS THE SOUTH WILL ALWAYS BE THE SOUTH . BUT DON'T WORRY JESUS IS COMING TO SAVE YOU ALL NOT!!!! If jesus was for real he surely would have stopped slavery hahahahaha

November 26, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |