November 23rd, 2011
03:52 PM ET
It looks like the Web won't be the saving grace for soap fans, as Variety reports that ABC's canceled series "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" will not find new life online.
"All My Children" aired its final episode on September 23, and was expected to launch again online thanks to media/production company Prospect Park. "One Life to Live" was to face the same digital rebirth after it airs its last episode in January.
However, Prospect Park says in a statement, "It is with great disappointment that we are suspending our aspirations to revive 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children' via online distribution."
The company goes on to explain that there were a number of hurdles they couldn't jump, including the "contractual demands of the guilds, coupled with the program's inherent economic challenges."
The company says they believed the "timing was right" for their venture, but they couldn't find the backing needed. "We believe we exhausted all reasonable options apparent to us, but despite enormous personal, as well as financial, cost to ourselves, we failed to find a solution."
Trouble was on the horizon earlier this month, as Entertainment Weekly reported that "AMC's" online return was being delayed. Prospect Park was aiming to start new episodes of the soap in January, but was reportedly having issues getting some of the big name stars to sign on.
Susan Lucci, for one, reportedly declined to continue with the show as it moved to the Web.
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.