Ethan Hawke working on third 'Before Sunrise' film
November 21st, 2011

Ethan Hawke working on third 'Before Sunrise' film

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy charmed moviegoers in 1995’s “Before Sunrise,” then followed that up with “Before Sunset” in 2004.

New York magazine's Vulture reports that the actors, along with the film's director Richard Linklater, are working on a third romantic film.

Ethan Hawke, 41, tells French publication AlloCine that he, Delpy and Linklater are putting their heads together. "I don't know what we're going to do but I know the three of us have been talking a lot in the last six months," the actor reveals. "All three of us have been having similar feelings that we're ready to revisit those characters.”

In “Before Sunrise,” American Jesse (Hawke) and French Celine (Delpy) meet on a train and spend a starry-eyed night together in Vienna. In “Before Sunset,” the older, wiser pair reunite for a day in Paris.

Hawke says the pressure’s on to keep the next film consistent:

“There's nine years between the first two movies and, if we made the film next summer, it would be nine years again so we've really started thinking that would be a good thing to do,” he explained. “We're going to try to write it this year."

1. JoJo

I absolutely love the first 2 movies, can't wait for the 3rd one to come out!!!!!

November 22, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. UMA

WHO'S ETHAN HAWKE?

November 22, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. jillmarie

Time flies! I can't believe it will be 9 yrs since the sequel! Looking forward to the third movie. I can't say I've been waiting with bated breath or anything, but I enjoyed the first two movies quite a bit. I'd love to see the first one again, actually, it's been years.
    I'm pleasantly surprised they are making a third. Maybe they will wind up together for real- but still they'd have to watch their backs- they're cheating on their respective significant others when they run into each other. Cheaters, when you think about it!

November 22, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Susie

I loved those movies. I'm really looking forward to the third!

November 22, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Anthrax

@12:08. Okkkaaayyy.. lmfao!

November 22, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. Evel Knievel

God, two and a half more hours of two people talking. Just what we need. Cause everyone has been clamoring for another installment.

November 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. silly sally

(Giggling)

November 21, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Observer

To be honest, I have never heard of the first two...

Speaking of first...

First!

November 21, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

Observer, you don't have to "be honest"; flaunting your ignorance (one-minute Google search maybe?), then childishly proclaiming to be the first to post explains it all. Your mom must be so proud of your accomplishments.

November 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |