Seinfeld confident about hosting 'Live!' after Regis
November 19th, 2011

Seinfeld confident about hosting 'Live!' after Regis

New York Magazine's Vulture reports that Jerry Seinfeld has been mouthing off about his upcoming gig on “Live!,” now with just Kelly Ripa since Regis Philbin departed on Friday. The comedian stopped by the “Late Show with David Letterman” to discuss “Operation Smooth Transition.”

Seinfeld says he’s going to be co-hosting “Live!” on Monday, and he’s not anticipating a challenge.

While honored to be a part of "Operation Smooth Transition," the cocky comedian says hosting the talk show “doesn’t seem that hard.” He observes of Regis: "He sits there, and he doesn't, he just kind of, you know, takes up people's time.” In a good way.

Letterman noted that Regis makes hosting look easy because he’s “the gold standard.”

Friday was 80-year-old Philbin’s final episode after 28 years hosting the show.

TV Guide speculates on possible replacements: Bravo’s Andy Cohen, Kelly’s hubby Mark Consuelos, style guru Carson Kressley, or “Saved By the Bell” alum Mario Lopez.

People has similar guesses as to who’ll score the spot: Cohen, Ryan Seacrest or Consuelos.

Co-host Kelly Ripa, meanwhile, is mourning her partner's departure. "His chair might soon be empty," she told the Hollywood Reporter, "but the wonderful moments I have experienced with him over the past 10 years will always make him a meaningful part of my life."

1. Sam

....but then again, I prefer Live with Kelly and no permanent co-host.

December 15, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sam

We liked Neil Patrick Harris. Seinfeld is too stiff.

December 15, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mark

Yes! finally seeing Seinfeld in anything NEW will be fun. Can't wait. The guy, like a lot of jewish comedians is just funny without trying.

December 12, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sally

Jerry Seinfeld is multi-talented and anyone who doesn't "get" his humor is lacking in intelligence. He could handle
    the show easily. His CHARACTER on his show was suppose to be whiny, he's not. The Jew comment above shows
    the lack of character and brain power of the writer.

December 10, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Liz

Would like to see Donny Osmond host. He is older now, fatherly, and has great morales and goodness, like Regis. He would be awesome. Donny has a great sense of ha ha and isn't full of himself like Seinfeld. My humble thoughts.

December 9, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. duh

You can't use "seinfeld" the show as a measure of seinfeld them comedian-the show was only funny because of larry david. I've seen jerry live- he suuuucks

December 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. marina

i agree with some of these reviews...we'll have the whining, the voice honking..oh lord..

December 8, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. molly

Lewis Black would be perfect. Funny as hell. Has personality plus, intelligence, and always a laugh riot.

December 6, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brian K

No Live! show for you!

December 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bonju

Seinfield, yet another 1 percenter and a JEW. Drop dead.

December 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Donna

If they try to "replace" Regis the show won't last very long. There will never be another like Regis. The show producer needs to try someone completely different than Regis and build a new type of show.

December 3, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Argle Bargle

Oh, barf.

December 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ron

I agree with not giving it to Seinfeld. I think he is to far to the left and somewhat obscene. However, I think it should be someone who has previous experience, such as Alex Trebek, Pat Sajek or maybe even a reporter for TV news programs. For the most part, they are good interviewers. I just don't know if the questions they ask in an interview are their's or handed to them. This is a long running show and never had any controversy as far as I know. It is clean and family like. Whoever gets the job, I hope the show execs get a good one, and whoever he is, good luck.

December 1, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • harrison

Too far to the left? It's just a freaking TV show. Does everything have to be about politics?

December 12, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jennifer

Tom Bergeron. I have never seen anyone so quick on his feet in response to certain actions/issues on Dancing With The Stars. Smart, clever, funny, and should have no trouble making the show about the guests.

November 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JPX

This show is beneath Seinfeld. I have never understood how anyone could get through an episode of the vapid "Live" show. It's vapid banter, always a vapid "contest" that no one cares about, and vapid, milk toast guests talking about vapid things. Seinfeld is correct, it's an easy gig. I predict that the show will fold within a year of Regis' departure.

November 30, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • djrkw

did you just learn the word vapid yesterday?

December 5, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • sue

your stupid logic enlightened me this morning. baaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa

December 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • annie

vapid...stupid

December 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOEY

NOBODY HAS SEEN SEIFELD SINCE HIS WHINEY SHOW ENDED...HE'S ABOVE THE HOW?...BAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHEEEEEEEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEE
      HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

December 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sandi

I think Seinfeld was pretty good, also Josh Groban and Anderson Cooper. There were a couple of others, but can't think who they were. But I know I would not want Wayne Brady, Neil Patrick Harris or Mario Lopez. Sorry you're all probably talented but I'm just talking about replacing Regis. And I know I don't want someone who swears or abuses his guests, Regis never did that smartel, he has class, that's one thing I liked about him. Steve Carell was really great on The Office, but don't know how he'd be on this type of show. Sure miss Regis.

November 29, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Marge

you need someone with personality for that show..anderson cooper unfortunately does not have it...mario Lopez could do it..Seifeld is funny but i do agree he whines too much....

December 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. smartel

I noticed people do not like a guy who does not swear or abuse his guests. The problem with Seinfeld is that he is too classy for the kind of audience who is watching the show.

November 26, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. DDM

Why is Sienfield wearing his hair all chopped off? Looks awful!

November 25, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Agree, if you ask me, if a guy does have a full head of hair, let it grow out some, makes them look younger and more attractive than this ugly short-haired look! I don't know why guys think it has to be so short, any man looks better if it's longer and more youthful.

November 25, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  19. margaret

kelly has a car horn voice? that is so funny...thanks gina...

November 22, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  20. gina

donny donny donny.

November 22, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  21. gina

he whines..kelly's voice sounds like a blaring car horn ..... i need regis he's a showman.

November 22, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  22. Nancy Martin

Seinfield is annoying, whiny, and blah. Carson is funny but that bit would get old quick. Consuelos is ok but what happens when they have a lovers spat??? Mario Lopez would be a good choice but he is a little hyper.... My choice is John O'Hurley. He is classy, educated, talented, familiar with Hollywood folks, is a Broadway star, knows how to think on his feet (Dancing With The Stars, Family Feud) was a soap opera actor just like Kelly, and he is nice to look at too!!! They have to pick someone who will appeal to all age groups and he fits the bill.

November 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. art vandolay

How about that "Marriage Ref" show? Pretty awesome piece of dogpoop work by Jer, eh? -Art

November 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Kramer

I feel the bl@ck guy I ripped on during my Hollywood stand-up should get the gig.

November 20, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mi Tierra

Not a fan of Seinfeld. He would get old waaaaaay fast. I'd rather have Gelman take up permanent residence beside Kelly than Seinfeld.

November 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bob Alt

Please Please not Sienfeld.Regis has always had a clasic show with out the rude,crud show that Sinfeld has and he will try those same methods again .We dont need them.Please Please not Seinfeld!!!

November 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. SmarterthanU

Seinfeld better worry if he thinks he can get away with Marriage Ref humor – that was one of the worst shows ever to air. He's been off the radar for 20 years? Regis was relevant until last week.

November 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. DutchMom

Not Seinfeld! He's arrogant, annoying, and thinks everything is all about him. His comments on Letterman were really off-putting. His wife is as bad. (And yes, I do think she plagarized the cookbook and should have lost the lawsuit.). Team ABS. (Anyone But Seinfeld). Miss you Regis.

November 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  29. jb2817

I was thinking either Todd Bridges or Leif Garrett or maybe Tanya Harding if Kelly got out of line Tanya could take out her ACL

November 20, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  30. Ross fan

Ross Mathews is my choice. He's great, and a breath of fresh air. He'd keep Kelly on her toes. Jerry might be getting a little stale.

November 20, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  31. Rider

I seriously hope Seinfeld does not get this gig. I always thought he was whiny and boring, hated that show.

November 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Shan

Wayne Brady would be GREAT! He's multi-talented!

November 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sue

What about Steve Carell(Cavell)? I've heard his name tossed around.
    I don't know him BUT I hear he's a strong candidate.

November 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • eric

Yeah, totally, Steve Cavell is brilliant.

November 26, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharon taylor

I think Steve Carrell could be the best new cohost. Of all candidates he seems the most likely to let the guest speak about himself and yet Steve would be glib enough to rescue a failing interview or guest who is not well able to present himself. All the other candidates so far have too much obvious needy ego.

February 12, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  34. Wes

Seinfeld is way too classy for that gig. I really like how he's just kinda been on the downlow post-Seinfeld. He's made his fortune and now he's just chillin'

November 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matty

Seinfeld too classy? You mean the man who stole another man's wife right after her honeymoon? The one who called "crazy" the woman who claimed his wife stole her book idea? That classy guy?

December 2, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  35. Taylor

Seinfeld is too into himself to make it work. He needs to not share the chair w/anyone and I feel he would make life miserable for Kelly. Wayne Brady? No way...too fake. Andy Cohen would be good as would Anderson Cooper or I even love Josh Groban

November 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mejazzbo

I like Seinfeld as the choice. Kelly made Regis' life difficult. What goes around, comes around.

November 21, 2011 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  36. Jeremy

The thing that made Regis so great was his ability to host his show and not upstage anyone. I fear that most of the hosts mentioned (especially Seinfeld) could so very easily make the show all about them. I tuned in to Regis and Kelly because I got to spend time with two people who seemed relatable while they talked to celebrities and let them have their moment. And even though I think Seinfeld is exceptionally talented, I could easily see the show becoming HIS show... Regis' show felt like it belonged just as much to the audience as it did to him. Ryan Seacrest and Mario Lopez are not nearly as experienced nor as congenial as Regis, but I actually think they have the most potential to GROW with the show and to keep the show similar to what it has been for so many years.

November 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Nancy

Yeah...I'd go with Seinfeld definitely! He's got his own style that we all know and love.

November 19, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Amanda

Obviously Regis cannot be replaced by Andy Cohen, Mark Consuelos, Carson Kressley, or Mario Lopez. They are lightweights and would be too annoying on a daily basis. Seinfeld would be a good permanent choice, as would Wayne Brady, or even Larry David. Regis' replacement should be a smart, talented, savvy, good-hearted conversationalist and interviewer.

November 19, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Jill

Seinfeld is disgusting, arrogant (for no valid reason that I have ever seen) and irritating the minute he opens his whiney, rude mouth. I didn't watch him when he had a show of his own and certainly would never watch Live! again if he were to be the co-host. There are so many more talented people out there than him.

November 24, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • eric

Jill, you didn't watch his show, yet you comment on his talent level. You are making an uneducated claim. Don't bother watching his show or trying to get his humor, you are probably not intellectually capable of comprehending it anyway.

November 26, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • StlMelz

Oooo... Wayne Brady would be a great choice!

November 30, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I dont care for Seinfeld but I think he could do a good job
      I never cared for Regis or Live either but I liked the way he could poke fun of himself in movie cameos

November 30, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |