November 18th, 2011
10:45 AM ET
"Twilight: Breaking Dawn" is poised for a big opening weekend, but this is the newest chick flick that I will not be attending with the Mrs.
I’m actually forbidden to attend any of the "Twilight" pilgrimages because I would inevitably grunt, hiss and guffaw my way through the excruciating drama that unfolds from Forks. And if I'm being honest, that sums up my reaction to many of the movies that fall into the so-called "chick flick" category.
But the best ones in this group are heart-warming, romantic, and may make you cry. Here's my take on the top five chick flicks - let me know your list in the comments:
1. "The Notebook" (2004): “Behind every great love is a great story.”
2. "Little Women" (1994): “Save a place in your heart for the unforgettable story of these... LITTLE WOMEN”
3. "Pride and Prejudice" (2005): “Sometimes the last person on earth you want to be with is the one person you can't be without.” (I'm hoping the "Zombie" version will also be worth watching.)
4. "Fried Green Tomatoes" (1991): “The secret of life? The secret's in the sauce.”
5. "Twilight" (2008): “When you can live forever, what do you live for?"
"He’s Just Not That Into You" (2009): “Are you the exception...or the rule?”
"Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" (2002): “The Secret Is Out”
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.