Drama, tears and attitude on 'The X Factor'
November 18th, 2011

Drama, tears and attitude on 'The X Factor'

I have never shouted and screamed during "The X Factor" in the past, but Thursday night things changed. I got mad. I got angry. And I screamed.

Most of my feelings came during the last 10 minutes of the show. But let's not get into that just yet.

Let’s start with the wonderful way the show began, with all 10 finalists taking the stage to sing Queen’s “We Will Rock You” in unison. They certainly rocked it, especially Astro and Rachel Crow, though I’m sure their cuteness factor helped to go a long way.

And then the show really started! Remember on Wednesday, all 10 finalists performed and two got hit hard—Stacy Francis and LeRoy Bell. The judges attacked them so badly I thought they would quit. But they took it all in stride and kept going. Josh Krajcik was the only one to be told he had the best performance of the night.

One of the great things about the "X Factor" is that every week they have been giving the contestants a taste of what it feels like to be a star, since one of them will eventually step into stardom. So this week, a celebrity photographer took solo pictures of each of their contestants.

Before we got to the bottom two, superstar Rihanna performed. She sang "We Found Love" off of her new album “Talk That Talk." The sexy international pop star took to the stage in ripped jeans and a bomber jacked with a big curly bouffant. Typical Rihanna, and the crowd loved it.

And then it was time: Nicole Scherzinger’s contestant Stacy Francis and LA Reid’s Astro were the bottom two, which I was shocked to see - more so because of Astro than Stacy. I mean, how in the world did Astro get one of the lowest scores from viewers voting? WTH?

Francis and Astro had to duke it out by performing one more time before the judges. After that the judges would decided which of the two should get their walking papers.

Up first was Francis, and she went back to basics singing “Amazing Grace." She did a good job, but not a great one.

Then Astro took the stage, and before he even rapped he issued a statement that left me thinking, “Really, who do you think you are Mr. 14-year-old?”

Astro told L.A. Reid that he didn't really don’t want to perform because it was "unnecessary," but added the he'd leave it up to his mentor. But then he ended up launching into his hip-hop version of the Jackson 5 hit, "Never Can Say Goodbye."

Of course, being the rapper he is, he decided to change the lyrics to fit his love for hip-hop. It was classic and nice, although his performance did get off to a rough start.

During the elimination, L.A. tells both of the contestants that he thought that Astro acted like a quitter and came to far to act like that. Even though he respects both artists a lot, he still was going to stick by his mentee.

Nicole chimes in to say, "Stacy I just have so much admiration for you as an artist and as a woman week after week you open yourself up," so of course she stood by Stacy. Paula switched it up, though, and voted for Stacy to go home.

So it was left up to Simon to create a tie or tiebreaker. Before he delivered his verdict, he did tell Astro: "I don’t like your attitude right now...think about your mom watching this show because you are showing disrespect to your mom. You are showing disrespect to the audience and I don’t like people with this attitude.”

But even after their tiff, Simon still says that he wants to keep the contestant with the chance of winning, and so he sends home Stacy.

Hard to believe that after all of Astro's antics, he still got a pass when it came to sending someone home. (iReporters Al and Roberta Mealey definitely picked up on Astro's 'tude as well.)

This show is getting down to the wire, and I can’t wait to see who will be sent home next week. Think Astro will pull another stunt like he did last night? Let us know in the comments, or post an iReport!

1. Betty

After reading all the comments, thank God we are all without sin and can cast the first stone. We have been perfect, knowledgeable, disciplined and mature youth who turned into the same as adults. Had 5 million been riding on us from age 14 to now, with our perfect actions and choices, we would all be millionaires correct?

November 25, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. jp

Time to move on. Who is going down tomorrow?

November 22, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jessica

Astro has problems! Even kids at 13 and 14 do not act like that- only 3 or 4 year olds!And the judges weren't judging well either! I can't believe Astro stayed on this long! the X-factor is a singing show! Even Chris Rene can sing! Astro did not bring his song justice at all! And My TV sounds fine when i watch it, so i think you guys need to get ur sattellite disc checked..idk just a suggestion. So Astro needs to get off the shhow and come back when he can act like a 14 year old. Drew and Rachel don't act like this they can actually behave.

November 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Diana

Astro was a brat for sure but that doesn't mean he should go home nessarily. He was fantastic wednesday night so I don't get why he was in the bottom 2, Stacy was horrible. That big teeth white girl should have been in the bottom 2 not Astro. I'm giving Astro a pass this one time but LA Reid and Astro's mom need to sit that kid down and read him the riot act because mommy and LA are gonna have some real big problems later on if they don't tame this kid NOW.

November 20, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. jb2817

I thought Astro was the Jetsons dog

November 20, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. cj

I BELIEVE THERE'S ALOT GOING ON BEING THE SCENES .HE WAS BEING TREATED UNFAIRLY..DON'T JUDGE HIM WITHOUT HAVE ALL THE FACTS....

November 20, 2011 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gomer

CNN Entertainment Producer, LMHO. You should be fired. I was going to point out an error here in this article so you could fix it and then I fund as I were reding dat der wern ways tooz manys. You are a complete imbecile and your readers must be too for not commenting, noticing, or well... they just passed it off before writing their short essays. I am really in shock as to why you have a job anywhere besides taking my pizza order. Yes folks this is USofA and I am sure gladds I donts lives ther, so I guess this is thankfully not that there part of America. We may have a lame beaver ins Carnada and no soaring tuf eagle but at least we have an edjubication sistem that wurks. HAHAHA. Why does the world waste time listening to a nation of ignorance anymore?

November 20, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. dee

The brat needs to go

November 20, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. JP

1. The show is planned.....not scripted. It is ALL about the ratings.
    2. You will recall Stacey Francis' reaction to the comments of the judges on Wednesday. Her behaviour then was equally childish, except she isn't a child. And, she was the obvious choice to go home. I wish her well.
    3. Astro is a very talented young person. At that age you are not "spoiled". You need coaching. He is in an unnatural environment. Give the boy a break.
    4. Do you remember what it is like to be a child? Everything is possible.

November 19, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rob

I was a huge fan of The X-Factor until Thursday's results show. To put "Astro" through and send Stacey home was a travesty. That little brat should have been taught a valuable lesson about sportsmanship. America judged him correctly. He is one note and boring and needs to be sent home. Passing him through to next week is a terrible example for our yourth...throw a tantrum and get your way. But why does any of that surprize me? That's the way of the world now, isn't it!! Shame on you Simon, Paula and LA Reed. But maybe this whole thing was scripted as the ratings have been less than stellar?

November 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bert

I agree with Brad. The sing off was to be the deciding factor. In my opinion Stacey won it hands down. Astro should have been sent home on his last performance alone. Whats the purpose of the sing off, if the judges are going to let a spoiled brat stay. I would not want my teens placing him as an example of what teens should act like. No amount of talent can take the place of good manners and playing according to the rules that everyone else goes by. The picture is in my mind now of Astor and I can only hope that the judges will correct the terrible error on their part and send him home with an opening annonucement on the next show. If this was my son, I would be taking him off the show immediately, he has lost his chance to become a star.

November 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sally

I totally agree with Roscoe. Too many lights, loud noise, distractions..it's hard to even hear the singers. I have not
    been very interested in this show because of this. Astro needs to go. The judges interactions are annoying and
    unnecessary, too. Although I like Simon a lot, I am looking forward to American Idol, which I find much more fun to
    watch. At least the talent can be heard.

November 19, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. TVWatcher

The next show. L.A. knows he has to say something or make Astro look very humble and sincere about this behavior.
    He will do DAMAGE CONTROL and try to save Astro. Becuase if he doesnt do something, Astro will be gone next week.

November 19, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nancy

I was hoping that Simon would vote Astro off so that they would have to go to the actual votes to determine who had to leave. I think it would have been Astro – wouldn't that have been a wake up call for the snotty little hood.

November 19, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Shaun

After watching the X-Factor the last time, I know NOW that I am completely done with the show. There can only be one winner. The truth is EVERYONE will be voted off and will go home except for 1 person. Astro's display absolutely annoyed me. Not the fact that he is 14 BUT obviously has NO training of the entertainment business NOR showmanship.
    He can't take constructive criticism and the fact that he 'thinks' he is that good is hilarious. He sings OVER already produced songs and his confidence is overwhelming. Stacy wants it more than Astro and she was humbling about her entire experience. From a spiritual stand point. Stacy deserved that spot over Astro. Astro needs his ass whipped. I know for sure that stunt he pulled has ended his career AND his stay on X-Factor. I believe the judges kept him to teach him a lesson. It's over for him. Stacy will get a recording contract. Simon or La Reid will see to it!!

November 19, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  16. Linda

I totally lost respect for X Factor and the judges Thursday night. The judges (they are not mentors if they support the kind of behavior displayed by Astro) blew a needed teachable moment. This country is filled with people who think that because of their talent, fame, skill, position, etc., their behavior does not matter. Behavior does matter! It needs to be part of the total package. Astro does not have it and deserved to be sent home. The judges should be embarrassed that they chose to support his arrogant, disrespectful behavior. Besides that, he is a one-trick pony. Other singers need to change genres, all he does is rap to music of another genre. I thought the show was a big improvement over American Idol, but with the tiresome attacks between the judges, contradictory statements over the appropriateness of the singers choices (where are the "mentors" when these choices are made?), and now the judges making poor choices of who stays and who goes instead of the viewing public, it seems like AI all over again. I won't be watching again until I hear Astro is gone.

November 19, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  17. Memo

I completely agree a child like that can realy lose himself of reality with that much money. The boy is not ready ,the boy needs a reality check, watch himself on tv and see how much of a fool he has made of himself and the reflection of how he was raised. Defanetly a very bad example for kids GIVING HIM THE RIGHT TO BE DISRESPECTFUL TO ADULTS AND OTHER PEOPLE. THIS IS THE REASON AMERICA ARE KIDS ARE DOING THE THINGS THEY DO. Cause they let kids like him get away with being DISRESPECTFUL So disapointed and they wonder why are youth have gone Crazy. Oh and the kid says he want to be one of the Greatest THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO START. That PRIZE DESERVES TO BE WITH SOMEONE WHO IS ALOT MORE HUMBLE. THE END

November 19, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Gomer

@Memo. You do realize that you cannot write anything that makes sense and you should not be any kind of a role model for the youth of the world. Though in your grade two mind you think... wait a second, you think?

November 20, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  18. Saraswati

I was in shock, I was a bit more astro than stacey. But yesterday Astro showed so much arrogance! and he is only 14, imagine when he is 20! I just couldn't believe in my eyes, but i'm more shocked with Simon, cause Simon should know better. I watch uk X factor for years, and he never tolerated things like that and he knows that he will always end up on the bottom two from now on! He should had given Stacey a change even though she is boring in my opinion, but she wanted it much more than Astro.

November 18, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kareen

Astro needs a kick in the you know what and sent home.
    Who the hell does he think he is? Somebody should teach that little punk some manners for one thing and it wouldn't hurt if he could sing.
    Sorry rappers, but to me that is no singing.

November 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdV4X2M2AI&w=640&h=390]

November 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. fc

I sat here dumfounded last night watching Astro's behavior. He is a rude obnoxious brat and is getting worse because the judges have pumped up his ego. Stacy Francis obviously needed to go, there was a reason she was in the bottom 2. I have a theory though. I think Simon knew if it went to a tiebreaker it would be revealed who really got the lowest number of votes (Francis) and he didn't want to embarass her having that come out on national TV so he voted her off instead. I think he was conflicted though because you could see by the look on his face that he was totally fed up with Astro. I am telling you now, there is no way Simon is giving his 5 million to that kid. Heck, if LA wants to take on the brat, more power to him, but Astro in no way deserves 5 million for his disgusting behavior. Viewers are going to be totally turned off and no matter what Astro tries next week, he has already lost a lot of his fan base. AND the kid can not sing a note. These days most rappers do both with their music. I believe the public are fed up with ungrateful music stars and will not tolerate the first winner of Xfactor to be a spoiled little brat. Melanie and Josh get my vote.

November 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Roscoe Chait

I'm finding the big production numbers tedious. Too many dancers and lights getting in the way of the singing. I couldn't even look at Josh because of the strobing lights behind him. For the entire series, I thought my TV set's audio was off. I can hardly make out the words of any song. Then I compared notes with a friend in a city 2,000 miles away and she's having the same problem. Even Rhianna's performance was off–her audio was distorted, the words incomprehensible, and she sounded off mic.

As far as the results show, Astro should have been sent home. He is an arrogant, obnoxious child-rapper whose ego has been fed by the judges, and they have created a monster. He's too young and immature to be on this show. And unless he straightens out, he will be a horror for anybody working with him. I predict that he will be kicked off of next week's show. Clearly, the audience at home is tired of his rap, which is always the same thing over and over again. He can't sing.

It's also possible that the little monster will quit the show before next week and Stacey will be asked back. Her fault is that she chose the wrong song last night. She is pegged as a gospel singer and the judges do not want to give a $5 million dollar record contract to anything but contemporary music. She is capable of so much more than what she has done. She has a great voice and tremendous passion.

Overall, I think the judges have given the performers cr***y advice. And the performances have become predictable and boring, although Josh is the frontrunner and he is a joy to watch. I also love Melanie, but this week her song choice and performance were dull and boring.

I'm also finding the rivalry among the judges forced, phony and distracting. I want to see and hear more of the performers.

November 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lance

Simon Cowell is a sell out. Evident from last night.

November 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Brad

What's the point of a sing-off for the bottom 2, if the judges made up their mind even before the sing-off?! If not, did anybody really think that Astro "sang" better than Stacey?! You've got to be kidding me, if you call what Astro did "singing".

And if he has the most chance to win, how come he is in the bottom 2? And by that logic, whenever he is in the bottom 2, he should always escape elimination, no?!

November 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. mrskool

i think they chose correctly letting Stacy go since she was obviously the worst singer and thats what the show is all about. I agree that Astro showed his spoiled immaturity but i think its good they are giving him a chance to redeem himself. If he continues this way after getting getting the dressing-down he deserved by the judges next week will be the right time to give him the boot. Hopefully he comes back and apologizes.

November 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kam

Well yeah Astro was being a kid and arrogant, but the kid had a point. He was in the bottom 2 and he said there wasn't any point in trying to perform to an audience who really didn't like his genre or him. So for all those people who keep saying he should go home, yes he actually wanted to go but it was the show that kept him in. Well I am not an avid rap genre listener but I think that kid really has some good talent. Lots of people hate John Lenon and his message and guts too. That doesn't mean he wasn't great. I am not saying Astro could ever be around the level of Lenon or even anywhere close but just saying that the kid definitely has good talent. People seem to have accepted "girl friend beating" Chris Brown and he even received a few awards for his music this year I believe, so I don't understand why it's so very difficult for people to accept a kid who is being honest.

November 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  27. CAM

Astro has always acted like this. When they had the "Boot Camp" shows, he was shown refusing to get up and practice the choreography. While I am far from being a fan of rap, he does show a lot of talent, and the fact that he's written his own lyrics is pretty cool. There are many defending him because of his age. That's ridiculous. He knew what he was doing and he didn't care.

November 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  28. BONNIEBB

ToddH – you said it exactly right! What a way to award such behavior!! Shame on the judges for allowing him to move forward.

November 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  29. LJ

While I find that Astro's demeanor last night was rude and arrogant, I do understand the reason that Stacy was sent home this week (with Astro probably following her next week).

The reason that Stacy was sent home is that she has basically lied about her background and her life for the past 12 years. Look her up on IMDB and you will see that she has appeared in multiple TV series. Google "Stacy Francis" and "Village Voice" and you will read further about how she was the featured vocal performer on a Scientology Cruise in 2004, how her first husband produced her first CD.....and that is just the tip of the story.

Xfactor producers had to sweep her under the rug before the story started hitting the main stream press.

November 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. fresnogma

I remember weeks ago, towards the begginging of this season, when Astro did not want to work his way up along with the other contestants saying that he did on and would not sing with all the other singers, cuz Rap was the only thing he signed up for. I was angry that he got away with that back then, but it is even worse now. I can already see him throwing trantrums when he doesn't get things his way. X-Factor has already created it's own MONSTER!!!

November 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  31. singoffisbetter

I feel for Astro. Put yourself in his shoes. He's standing up there for a full 30-minutes or so, watching everyone get picked ahead of him. I believe this format is very demotivating, exploitative, and unnecessary. While I suppose a mature person can learn how to take world-wide rejection in stride and not personally, I beileve this is way,way too much to ask of a 14-year old. If you notice, the other young contestants (Rachel and Drew) were also in tears when they were lingering dangerously close to last night's bottom two. I applaud Astro for his honesty. It's hard to fake it when your heart is not in it.

November 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

Give me a break. If you can't handle the pressure, don't go on the show. Pretty simple, really.

November 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

I personally don't understand this whole justifying of his antics based on his age. I am sure neither Drew nor Rachel, and not a lot of the contestants that were his age and were eliminated before the live shows would have behave like that had they been in the bottom two. I think those justifications insult everyone who are the same age but would have never behave like that.

November 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kennith

Are you for real, this is what is wrong with kids today, people like you and te judges, making up excuses for kids bad behavior. That little punk lost most of his fans last night and will go home. Stop excusing brat behavior.

November 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • singoffisbetter

It don't think Astro was being arrogant or disrespectful at all. I believe he was simply dejected and unprepared on how to respond to the disappointment of being cast in the bottom two. Perhaps he should have been better coached on how to handle the possibility of such a a scenario by his parents and/or mentors before it happened. As it happened, he was simply unprepared and unmotivated to perform. This is not being arrogant or disrespectful. It's just being unprepared. Give the kid a break.

November 19, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  32. Mary

Astro will not go because his antics are bringing in too many viewers and too much money!!!! It will be interesting to see if he makes it all the way how many fans he will have – I am surprised the judges allow a contestant to behave in this manner.

November 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kennith

Wrong, Asstro and the judges decision to keep this brat could cost ghee viewers.

November 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. beverly

I could not believe what Astro pulled last nite. Even in the very beginning this child refused to dance with the rest of the contestants, and the producers, judges and everyone else let him get away with it. Who does he think he is, better than the rest? No way in hell should this child be in this contest. All he can do is rap. I was very surprised by Simon, never thought he would send Stacy home, as well as Paula. Will not watch it until this kid is off!!!!!

November 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Angela

Astro, time to pack up your spoiled, arrogant antics and go home ! Ugh..intolerable behavior and STILL on the show..what are they thinking? This was a horrible example to set for young people all over the world, shame on the judges for letting this one slip by !

November 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. ToddH

Huge fan of the show, but I lost a ton of respect last night for both Paula and especially Simon by giving Astro and pass and missing a HUGE opportunity to make him accountable and an example for the youth of America. The idea that this kid could have the utter gall to even suggest he not perform, then whine about being in the bottom TWO, was something so audacious that I question if perhaps it wasn't all staged and pre-planned. That Simon would send the talented Stacy home, someone who has waited a lifetime and is gracious for such an opportunity and understands the value of it, and instead save this mouthy Astro-brat who was in dire need of being taught a valuable lesson in life. Simon - get a clue - ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES. Stacy, if for no other reason than Astro's behavior, deserved to stay, while Astro gave the best example I've ever seen of a contestant who needed to be sent home (and to his room) because he simply lacked the good judgment, sportsmanship, and most importantly the MATURITY to handle this kind of pressure at this time.

November 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wolfie469

Todd, I couldn't have said it better!

November 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorinda

Well said! It was a true injustice to see a well deserving contestant sent home instead of this brat. I hope he goes next!

November 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • henifer

you read my mind agree 100%

November 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

No definitely wasn't planned because rappers don't cry,Astro was acting like 14yr olds do when things don't go their way,he was obviously shocked and really upset to find himself in the bottom two and (being 14) didn't know how to handle it,he was fronting because that's what rappers are supposed to do but his tears told the real story,so i think we should go a little easy on,this show is a huge thing to deal with anyway,more so when you're just a teenager.

November 19, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Miller

I also couldn't agree more with Todd, but also to add that Pepsi executives couldn't be to happy about the process of what and how things transpired Imagine 5 million dollars and a Pepsi commercial to someone underserving, and what a role model???? . Wonder what the pepsi thinks about the judges after this specticle. I know how I feel and sounds like the rest of the country as well.

November 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. John

Astro should of went home. If he wont's to act like a kid. Then he should go home and play with his dolls. There is to much money on the line for that kind of behavior.

November 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  37. sxvidrin

Astro needs to go! It's the same ole same ole every week!

November 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • dldrice

You are so right. America needs to vote him off next week. He cannot sing. It is the same each week>

November 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lawren

I don't even like Astro. Same dumb stuff every week. I think Simon took a little time to think before he made the call. Who would help the ratings most Astro or Stacey. Unfortunalty he went with the spoiled kid who should have been kicked off the show a long time ago.
      He was in the bottom two because he isn't any good and is way over rated by the Judges.

In my opinion the whole show got a little goofy last night with antics between Simon and LA Reed.

November 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |