'Modern Family' keeps on truckin'
November 17th, 2011

'Modern Family' keeps on truckin'

Cam can be an excellent truck driver, and Jay enjoys the occasional massage. The things you learn watching "Modern Family."

Wednesday night's episode had the entire family pitching in to help another family in their neighborhood who lost everything in a fire.

The aforementioned revelations came when Cam went along with Haley and Alex to get Jay's truck, and Jay threw his back out. Phil, of course, volunteered to give him a massage, and it was a whole production ("The pain must have been bad if I accepted Phil's help," said Jay). Phil jumping on top of Jay to rub oil on his back may be one of the best sight gags in the history of the show.

This was a great episode for Phil, this week's MVP. The massage led Jay to blurt out "I love you," which he immediately assumed was the reason why Phil got all excited. Instead, he had just been offered a new job. After consulting with Jay, he decided to go for it (I'm excited to see his new business partner, played by Greg Kinnear).

As for Cam, he only wanted to show the girls that a gay man can indeed drive a truck. On the other hand, this is Cam we're talking about. After some rough patches, to say the least, they got some help from another male truck driver, to which Cam responded, "Oh, like she'll be able to help us."

It was also a great episode for Alex, who stopped some nerds from bullying Luke and Manny. To a stunned Haley, she said, "You have your fans, I have mine. And one day, your fans are gonna work for my fans."

There were quite a few subplots going on here, and I felt that the one with Mitchell treating Gloria like his mother and Claire reacting to that was the weak link. I usually like seeing Mitchell and Claire's sibling camaraderie, but this time, I just wasn't laughing as much as I usually do.

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Cam's big confession (three little words even more memorable than Jay's): "I sleep-clown." That one is coming soon to a "Modern Family" highlight reel near you.

What did you think of the episode? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. Joe

Great episode... I still think that Gloria (Sofia Vergara) is much funnier than Claire (Julie Bowen). She could be the new 'Lucy' (for the young folks, that's Lucille Ball – I Love Lucy). She is great – funny, beautiful, great comedic timing.

November 18, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. @John

yes it is john. yes it it cuz its all about me.

November 18, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Beautiful Vixen

@Evel..lol. Yea, you are much a saint as i am. (smile). Good nite luv. mwwaahh.

November 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Holly

Yeah... I got a little excited :)

November 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Beautiful Vixen

Seems as thou we have another saint on the blogs. lol

November 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=823i8J0eKK4&w=640&h=390]

November 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Observer

Liberal garbage. Why has this not been cancelled yet? Nobody I know watches this tripe.

November 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blah111

What do you stuffed animals watch then?

November 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Holly

Observer – Suck it buddy. No one you know watches this show because you have no friends dude. I LOATHE people who take the time to comment about stuff they claim to dislike. Makes no sense to me. I dont watch reality tv shows – You dont see me commenting on their tv blogs, do you? Nope – cuz I have a life unlike Mr. Observer freak. Modern Family is smart, heart-warming and funny – you, my friend, are a FOX news watching loser freak.

November 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • moron patrol

Just ignore this jackhole – he calls everything 'liberal' on every article but pretty much has no idea what it even means.

November 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Just a sad little cellar-dwelling troll looking for a forum on which to cry and whine.

November 18, 2011 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Battered Woman, Bruce Jenner

Sounds like someone hasnt had their Wheaties this morning?

November 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lola

Love the show but last night was just plain yuck. Believing his nieces were stereotyping him, problem with saying "i love you to son-law", telling father in law about job plans before wife, the boys opening a present for a child who lost everything, worried Gloria is the new mom, daughter-father issues then finding out Gloria is YOUNGER than the daughter, triple yuck yuck yuck. The fans could have gone on without knowing that. The only trace of the show I love was when the nerdy daughter got the helicopter back and said "your fans will be working for my fans someday"-that was hilarious.

November 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • yay!

I agree, the show last night was not that funny. I still love the show but they cant hit a home run every week.

November 17, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You're wrong, of course. It was a great episode.

November 18, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |