Ricky Gervais to host 2012 Golden Globes
November 16th, 2011

Ricky Gervais to host 2012 Golden Globes

Awards ceremonies are sticking to what they know.

Following the announcement that Billy Crystal will once again host the Academy Awards in February, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association has confirmed that Ricky Gervais is returning as host of the Golden Globes.The HFPA says in a post on its website announcing Gervais' hosting gig that they voted to bring the Brit back after meeting with an NBC exec.

This isn't surprising, since we've been playing "will he or won't he return" more or less since January, when Gervais' barbed jokes had many asking if he'd gone too far.

In the days immediately following the ceremony, the HFPA clarified that they didn't condone Gervais' behavior, and that despite rumors, he hadn't been asked back to host the show. That was in February. By March, Gervais was joking about returning, and in August, Gervais noted that NBC was courting the idea of having him back. Earlier this month, the rumor continued.

"While many may welcome Gervais' return, not everyone is happy with the decision because last year his blunt one-liners...caused anger and resentment in some quarters," the HFPA says.

Nevertheless, "After the show Gervais dismissed the possibility of coming back for a third time, but he gradually warmed to the idea." Apparently a Paris meeting with the president of the HFPA helped, because he "said recently that the idea of going back behind the podium 'is very tempting.'"

For his part, Gervais tweeted Wednesday afternoon, "Just told Billy Crystal he'd better not use any of my holocaust or pedophile material at The Oscars. He agreed (true)."

Filed under: Awards Season • Golden Globes

1. internet

Hahahahahahaha, this politics related YouTube video is in fact so comical, I loved it. Thanks designed for sharing this. internet http://www.chrisgardnermedia.com/member/12352/

February 28, 2013 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mayotte

Perfectly written subject matter, appreciate it for selective information . Mayotte http://bryskyemedia.tumblr.com

February 11, 2013 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. domain registration

Wonderful web site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks to your sweat!

May 11, 2012 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mai

Mil gracias x subir los promo only k la varedd estan super, solamente kisiera comentar y recordar k el link 9 del urban video de sep no a sido arreglado,solo espero k lo reparen para poder descomprimirlo. gracias.

April 24, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kerry

Everyone hold onto your seatbelts. Hopefully Hollywood will be prepared now, instead of the shocked wide eyed reactions we observed last time. Or Angelina’s evil eyed wicked witch of the west imitation. Possibly we will see more reactions such as Robert Downey Jr.’s brilliant smile and elegant quip in response to humor directed at them, proving once again that it is really 93% how one reacts to something. Ricky’s ratings are high for a reason…….we love to be shocked in a humorous way. And no one does it quite like Ricky.

November 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Andre

Gotta love Ricky's apathy for the giant pieces of s- that is the mass of humanity. I just hope he has more atheist jokes this time around. Get 'em fuming with rage, Mr. Gervais!

November 17, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brion

Thank God for Ricky Gervais!

November 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ulfric Stormcloak

yeh i like ricky gervais. if he offends you, don't watch it

November 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Melissa

how about we just get a couple hours of his stand up and forgo the whole award thing altogether.

November 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Second, Ricky Gervais is much better then whatever a golden globe is.

November 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sortakinda

The NBC Office is a great show thanks to its ensemble cast. Seeing Ricky on Stewart and elsewhere (that moronic travel show) told me that he could never be as funny as he thinks he is. Grim up, dude. Let the audience do the laughing, not YOU.

November 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Omar

This are good news!! I think I'm going to watch the 2012 Golden Globes :) :)

November 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Katty

The ONLY way I will ever watch this kind of show is if Ricky is the emcee. Occasionally I've scanned thru but never really watched until last year, when looking for something to watch on TV I ran across Ricky and became immediately interested....He was great.
    Too bad some of these prima-dona's have such thin skins. If they want us to watch their self-aggrandizement then they had better get used to what the public wants.

November 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Deb

LOVE the idea of Ricky coming back to host the show. Can he stop the shots of Angie gushing all over Brad? BARF

November 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. maria

Ok I won't comment on whether I like Ricky Gervais as a host, but I did want to mention that some of you posting your comments should seriously use a dictionary once in a while. Look up the word your & you're there IS a difference.....

November 17, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. JJsMom

Ricky is a "VERY FUNNY" guy who tells it like it is. I hope he hosts the GLOBES forever, lol, love him!

November 17, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  16. boocat

All this guy did at the last Globes was insult people....and he wasn't funny. If they want someone to host the Globes who can insult people and be funny, they should hire Don Rickles. He's the master.

November 17, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Aleksander

sorry about all your posts. know they were read and appreciated. at least you can be auressd they are backlogged in my memory (such as it is) and while drifting aimlessly out in cyberspace now, they made an impact on us and our way forward. keep up the good work. its too bad it disappeared, but your posted messages and writings did good while they' was here, how perfect an example of a life well lived is that!

April 27, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  17. Bill

Larry the Cable Guy would have been a much better selection this year. And I don't care who you are, thats darn funny

November 17, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  18. ThisShould BeConsidered

He should not host if he can't hold his mouth from saying off-color things!

November 17, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • GiveHim theBoot

You're so right! There is no place for someone who thinks they are being funny but who, in effect, ends up insulting others. That's like using race, religion, or a person's orientation in jokes and thinking that is funny stuff to work with. It isn't! It is highly offensive! He needs to seriously be given The BOOT!!

November 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Steve

Last time he hosted when introducing presenters he said something along the lines of "One actor has been is an award winning actor who has been in many classic movies and is respected around the world – Tom Hanks, the other is Tim Allen" lol, that was awesome. I like Ricky, I think he is pretty funny

November 17, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  20. JustSay NoToGervais

These award presentations are no place for people like that who cannot keep their mouth closed and act civilly and who feel they have to act and talk the way they do simply because they are the host, especially since some people took offense last time according to this news item. People should never be made to feel uncomfortable during such a presentation and there should be strict rules of decorum! The show is much better without him and HFPA executives should not even be considering having him back as that would seriously undermine the integrity of the awards presentation in light of past occurrences.

November 17, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

If people get offended he is doing his job right.

Your name should have been "Justsaynotothispost"

November 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. NOT MY CHAIR

the should get Karl to co-host and interview people as they go in

November 17, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Pilks

Perfect suggestion.... might as well bring Smerch on it too so all 3 can crack wise.

November 17, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  22. mplaya

GREAT! Nice to see they didn't back down after his last stint! Of course the network knows they'll probably hit a rating bonanza, but the fact that Ricky takes no prisoners and pushes that envelope is great. If the "stars" in Hollywood can't take a joke or learn to laugh at themselves, then shame on them. I can make the best of MY bad situations and I don't make 15 million per movie.....

November 17, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. mejazzbo

I see no reason the spoiled shouldn't make fun of the spoiled. Go on, Ricky. Fry me up some self righteous Hollywoods. Now that's entertainment!

November 17, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  24. Wulfee

Considering not very many people watch this show, they probably thought they could get more Ricky fans to watch then what they would lose by having him back. GO RICKY!!!!

November 17, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. jj

Welcome back to America, Ricky. We have been feverishly working on new material for you. In fact, the Rep candidates have been serving up new material every week! We won't mind a few Trump kicks in the a-ss, but don't waste your time on him too much. (He's not really a self-made millionaire, but he's surely a self-written joke!)

November 17, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  26. fisk

There should be a law that ALL awards show are hosted by Ricky. He does a great job is funnier than anyone else that has hosted recently.

November 17, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  27. MD

I have to say I love it when Ricky Gervais hosts the Golden Globes. He says what every normal person in America is thinking. I think it is even funnier when Celebs get upset about it. Way to go NBC/Golden Globes!

November 17, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  28. JIml

I definitely will not be watching this year..... What a farce!!

November 17, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  29. J0nx

Mr. never finishes anything is back!

November 17, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  30. tafugate

in all fairness to ricky whateverhisnameis, i wouldn't watch the golden globes even if god herself was hosting.

November 17, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  31. charlotte

the simplest form of humour is to attack people, and he is merely crass, not class

November 17, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  32. jazz

what is so exciting about ricky gervais? he is so boring.... yawn...

November 17, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  33. mary

He was funny.. Some people just take themselves too seriously..

November 17, 2011 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  34. edgar

i am now going to watch the golden globes for a second time. if only he could host every award sigh

November 17, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  35. paulthewolf

The man is as successful as the actors he roasts. He own The Office in the UK and here. Those are some serious checks he's cashing.

November 17, 2011 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  36. Jane

I love that Ricky tells it like it is, steps on toes and is completely irreverent to an outwardly pompous, inwardly insecure demographic (the acting community), but class? No. Interest in watching? Mmmmm, probably not. Best of luck.

November 17, 2011 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  37. Bob

In the UK, we say he's like 'Marmite' – you either love him or hate him.

November 17, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  38. Matt

Ricky is one of my favorite celeb atheists! He is Awwwesssommmeee!

November 17, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  39. Giallo

Oh please, No. Who makes these decisions? Class? I don't think so. That ruins the show for me. I would have watched, but not now.

November 17, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  40. NanookoftheNorth

Great idea to invite him back...glad he accepted !

November 17, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  41. suzie scottino

I really really enjoyed it he gave it class I like his humor

November 17, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  42. Ella

Am I the only one who didn't think he was all that funny? I don't even care about his celeb insults which, sadly, weren't that funny. He's just plain boring. Now Billy Crystal... that man is the best host I've ever seen. Probably tied with Johnny Carson.

November 17, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • MinesA99

You and 7 others. Everyone else thought he was hysterical. (Ooh, wait, make that 8. forgot about that guy in Sheboygan. but he doesn't like anything.)

November 17, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • MinesA99

(fun fact! The spell check suggestion for Sheboygan is Shebang!)

November 17, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Pilks

Im guessing youre old..... if so thats cool, but thats why. I mean Johnny Carson? Thats a throwback.

November 17, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Carmen

Puh leeze! Billy Crystal is sooooo passé... Go Ricky!

November 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  43. martini

Can. Not. Stand. Him.

November 17, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Let me guess your a woman....sounds about right

November 17, 2011 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Raine

Let me guess, Bill...you never finished the 8th grade. That would explain your spelling and your antiquated view of women.

November 17, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Pilks

Woman, Chimp, or little gay fella.

November 17, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  44. Big Al

So this bore is going to get pait to take the podium and insult people more successful than him for two hours? Pass...

November 16, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Oh really?? People more successful than him? Ever hear of a show called The Office?

Are you by chance the same Big Al from South Park?

November 17, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

"Pait"? Something tells me your IQ isn't very high, no wonder you find him boring.

November 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  45. benson

I hope whoever he offends cries for days. . . People get butt hurt so easily. Do your thing

November 16, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  46. i_know_everything

awesome

November 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  47. TJ

Give em hell, Ricky!! Don't hold back; although, I know you won't. Oh, and make sure you do alot of Donald Trump jokes!!!

November 16, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Booo

Booooo!

November 16, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  49. mrskool

YAY ! I thought he was a great host last time. the more he insults these spoiled celebs the better ! :)

November 16, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • LP

Woo hoo! I think form now on I will ONLY watch award shows if he is the host. Why he isn't hosting the Oscars I just do not understand. He was in a movie last year. Shouldn't that qualify him?

November 17, 2011 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Lean6

I like Gervais, but the Golden Globes is just one big snob-fest that I can't watch. I can put up with music award shows a little better for some reason. It's not that I don't value acting as a craft; it's just that the Golden Globes come across as just another piece of haves versus have-nots theater.

November 17, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |