Elijah Wood reveals 'Hobbit' details
November 16th, 2011

Elijah Wood reveals 'Hobbit' details

Now that production has started on Peter Jackson’s highly anticipated “Lord of the Rings” prequels, star Elijah Wood is giving E! News some info on “The Hobbit.”

"They're gonna be big,” Elijah said Sunday of the two upcoming flicks, titled “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” and “The Hobbit: There and Back Again.” “The audience is huge. The anticipation for ‘The Hobbit’ has been so massive for so long."

Just how massive? The three “Lord of the Rings” movies grossed almost $3 billion worldwide, but Wood, 30, says he doesn’t see it as a competition. "I don't even know if they're meaning to outdo them," the actor says of the prequels.

According to “Gollum” (Andy Serkis) via IGN, a trailer for the first “Hobbit” movie will be released “around Christmas.”

Wood’s character Frodo Baggins is the star of the "LOTR" trilogy, and has controversially been added to the "Hobbit" prequels, as has Cate Blanchett’s character Galadriel, and Orlando Bloom’s elf Legolas.

The idea may have its detractors, but Elijah explains how the "LOTR" characters can appear in Jackson’s “Hobbit” movies when they weren’t in J.R.R. Tolkien’s book.

"The idea is that there are things actually happening historically at the same time the story of ‘The Hobbit’ is taking place, they just weren't written in ‘The Hobbit,’" he said. "They were written in appendices and external pieces...that's kind of where a lot of that is coming from."

As the films' star, Wood may be biased, but he thinks the additions are going to work. "It's going to feel like a nice transitional piece," he said. "I think it's going to be a great amalgam of a fresh new approach with places we've never been before in Middle-earth mixed with things that are very familiar to us. It will be a beautiful transition. I'm excited about it. I can't wait."

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” will open December 14, 2012. “The Hobbit: There and Back Again” will follow on December 13, 2013.

1. StoryTeller

I can totally see where Legolas would fit in, but it would be more of a bit part...barely noticable and a poke at a specific scene in Lord of the Rings. Galadriel, well heck she's an Elf Queen, totally fits in. As for Frodo.....not to sure, but they might not mess up...

December 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pharmd513

Very nice site!

December 9, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. Pharmk14

Hello! bbddfbg interesting bbddfbg site! I'm really like it! Very, very bbddfbg good!

December 9, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Pharmf281

Hello! bdbeede interesting bdbeede site! I'm really like it! Very, very bdbeede good!

December 9, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scott

Actually, he's right, there was a LOT going on around the time of The Hobbit that is only summarized in the apendices of the LOTR that can be fleshed out without being untrue to the orginal story. Legolas was a Mirkwood wood elf, and though never specifically named in The Hobbit, it would be perfectly consistent for him to appear in their scenes. Galadriel? Not so easy.

December 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. happytam

So, when is this guy going to come out already?

November 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Celumnaz

Just don't leave out Beorn. I'm still miffed about the lack of Tom Bombadil.

November 21, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ella

I would be skeptical about Jackson adding LOTR characters to The Hobbit if not for the fact that he did such an amazing job with the trilogy. He added and deleted scenes from LOTR as needed to improve the movie experience. Did I wish they hadn't deleted Tom Bombadills character, yes. At the same time I think the story needed a little more romance and was happy that Jackson elaborated the story of Aragon and Arwin's relationship. He will obviously do the same for The Hobbit. I read the books and this is the ONLY book to movie transition where I actually prefer the movies to the books! Have a little faith people.

November 17, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Steve Stein

Peter Jackson eats his own poop.

November 16, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Susan

Martin Freeman plays the part of Bilbo in The Hobbit movie.

November 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ren0

So if frodo is just going to narrate the story, who is going to play the part of bilbo?

November 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. the_dude

I think they should bring back all the charecters from the first trilogy and call it "LOTR 2 electric boogaloo."

November 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chris

There is no reason in the world that Legolas couldn't be in there. He was the son of King of the Wood Elves and was certainly somewhere around when Bilbo came through Mirkwood. Just because he wasn't named in the book doesn't mean he wasn't there. And Galadriel was part of the White Council that, with Gandalf, drove Sauron out of Mirkwood at the same time as Bilbo and the Dwarves were headed to the Erebor. I gather they want to tell that part of the tale, so that makes sense. And if Frodo only appears as narrator, that seems fine. But he shouldn't appear in the story. He hadn't been born when Bilbo made his journey (though Merry and Pipping were just little kids, not grownups, when Bilbo threw the part that begins FOTR, so...).
    My biggest problem with these movies is that there can be no real suspense concerning Bilbo's fate - we know he lives - and I think that will drain a lot of drama.

November 16, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • WDS

We all knew the outcome of LotR, too, but those movies were still fabulous!

December 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. judgemofo

Frodo is in it because it starts out with him reading the book Bilbo wrote, he's the narrator.

November 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TheWordMaster

I just can't wait to see Orlando Bloom in that blonde wig again!

November 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Susan

I've recently reread The Hobbit, and it does talk about Bilbos nieces and nephews, of which Frodo is one..so it's plausable that Frodo is in it...and Legolas's father is in The Hobbit, so it's very plausable that Legolas would be in it too. I so can't wait for these films!!

November 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. xdougx

How can Frodo be in it? Its supposed to be about Bilbo I thought? I think they should have done the "classic" hollywood thing and have Wood play Bilbo.

November 16, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. MadCityBabe

he's such as odd little man....good thing there are hobbit roles......because there would be nothing else of note for him.

November 16, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. oldman100

OMG! i can't wait! I hope there's full frontal nudity and s*x scenes this time!

November 16, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mike

Real excited about this

November 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Earthbound

Love the books and films . but it shows a remarkable amount of weakness, scared to stick to the characters in the story and instead are certain the audience wants to see the same actors from thier earlier film successes. too bad they didn't give the story any credit and are hoping we watch the movie to see our favorite characters/actors. Why not just insert the characters inot other stories, Frodo and the cocoa factory LLC, The Frodo Conspiracy, The Frodo Files....lame

November 16, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter Christian von Glasow

While there are many, many fans of the books, we are talking money here. Go for the biggest audience you can. It is folly to think that ANY movie is made just to appease the fans of a book or set of books only.

November 16, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. LOTR fan

I can certainly buy Galadriel being in the Hobbit. And Legolas because he is old enough. But Frodo wasn't even born when Bilbo went there and back again.

November 16, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Ben

I think he's going to be more of a narrator. I think from the set pictures it looks like he's his normal age so I'd assume maybe Frodo is reading Bilbo's book and the movie works like a flashback.. or maybe at the end of the movie it moves forward in The Shire and they tie loose ends with Frodo moving in with Bilbo or something.

November 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. cindy

I can't wait!

November 16, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  24. ruben

Sean Astin was a better hobbit. Plus he is Patty Dukes son.

November 16, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  25. sweet michelle

I thought he was a midgett or troll. Maybe an oompa loompa. I didnt know he was a hobbit.

November 16, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |