TLC orders 'Irish Dancing Tweens'
Dancers compete in the World Irish Dance Championships on March 30, 2010 in Glasgow, Scotland.
November 15th, 2011

TLC orders 'Irish Dancing Tweens'

Lifetime has "Dance Moms" and ABC has dancing "Stars," and now TLC is getting into the dance competition business with a show temporarily being called "Irish Dancing Tweens" (a working title).

The network known for series like “19 Kids and Counting,” “Extreme Couponing” and, of course, “Toddlers and Tiaras,” has started production on a new series about the competitive world of Irish step dancing, according to a statement from the network.

“TLC is excited to share this subculture of dance with our audience,” TLC’s General Manager Amy Winter says in the statement. “Irish jig dancing is a global phenomenon and the series will reveal the world behind the sport in a compelling combination of heart and competition.”

TLC has ordered eight episodes of the series, which will depict all facets of competition in the little-known dance world from coaches and parents to practice and pressure.

To introduce you to the Irish dancing community, TLC has also acquired the rights to air the feature-length documentary “Jig.” The dance doc depicts competitors at last year’s Irish Dancing World Championships in Glasgow. No air date has been announced.

1. Ileshab Lenherrd

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be really one thing that I feel I'd by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely vast for me. I am taking a look forward in your subsequent submit, I’ll attempt to get the hang of it!

July 7, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Brandi

I think this will be recreational Irish dancing, not the real deal. This will not be from dance schools like Claddaugh, Mcteggart, Celtic Steps or Wick, it will all be from recreations who offer "Irish Dancing". Apparently if anyone high up in the "Irish dance world" lets people film, they will be banned from the sport no questions asked. So, they will not be filming Oireachtas, Nationals, Worlds, or even feis'

April 20, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. trinityirishdancer

I hope the producers read the comments people have posted on this site and many others...its clear that they need to get a better grip on what irish dancing is really all about. And yes, they definitely need to get it through their thick skulls that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS IRISH JIG DANCING. ITS IRISH DANCING, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Why that is so hard for people to understand is beyond me. Let's cross our fingers that they make this a decent show!!

February 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dancer

This show is gonna be interesting! I hope they show the good side of Irish Dance and not the bad side. What I mean when I say that is that I hope they show all of us working for 4 hours a day, 7 days a week and not some of us getting upset at feises and Oireachtas and things like that. Oh and by the way TLC, it's Irish Dance or Irish Step Dancing or Irish Dancing, not Irish Jig Dancing lol! But really excited for the show!

January 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Irishgirl

is this going to cover TCRG? caz if its CRN it wont be much of a show! haha

January 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Irish Dance Mom

Call the show " Jigs in Wigs"

January 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kim

As a mom of an Irish Dancer, this show makes me extremely nervous. We are not Toddlers and Tiara's. Our kids are athletes of the highest standard. They work hard to achieve the high levels of dance. It takes an incredible amount of athleticism. Our schools are like families. Yes we each want to see our child win, but we are happy for any dancer that represents our school. Please don't take a cultural art form that has been danced the same way for 100's of years and ruin it in 8 shows. Yes the costumes have changed with the time, but the dances have remained the same. These kids are spectacular at what they do, and work hard to do it. Show that iyour show.BTW it's not IrshJig Dancing, Jig is a type of dance, it's just Irish Dancing, Your not off to a great start.

December 27, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. rince

" Irish JIG dancing" !!!!!! Clearly GM Amy Winter knows nothing about Irish Dance, nor would I expect any of the producers, editors, or directors for that matter. It is illegal by the Irish Dance commisiun to video tape any modern Irish Dance sets/steps in their full. This is to protect the material being danced and also to protect the children dancing it without their consent. Anyone who knowingly disobey this rule could lose their TCRG ( the Irish dancing licence to teach). Therefore, this show probably wont show much about the actual dancing. I expect TLC to exaggerate the challanges and conflicts that arise on the sidelines, as with any other sport. What makes Irish Dance so wonderful is it motivates kids to be driven, teaches practice techniques, and sportsmanship. I really hope this will excite people to Irish Dance and not turn many away because of a few bad parents and over dramatic editing. Yes, we may look a little ridiculous with they way we are presented on stage, however you wouldn't go to a job interview wearing your slacks and a sweat shirt. The dress is all about good impressions, showing pride for your work, and the curly hair is tradition. Good luck to all Irish Dancers and their families, keep up the great work. Lets not let any network construed what we love to do. I am proud to have been Irish Dancing for the past 23 years, it has made me a better person as I know it has for millions of other little girls around the world.

December 5, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Emily

I was excited for this show for about a day... then I went to dance class and practiced for a few hours... Irish dancing (not Irish Jig Dancing where did they get that from???) is a sport and isnt all about the tan and the wigs. I sprained my ankle very badly dancing yesterday... considering what these shows have done to art forms in the past, I have a feeling that they will not show the injuries and hard work that goes into dancing... just my opinion...

November 28, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kayla

I'm an irish dancer and I would love to see irish dancing on tv but I don't want them to expose it as some kind of fashion show. I want people to know that what we do is hard work and we do it for the thrill we get when we put on those shoes and start to move across a stage or even our living room floor. So please if your going to make the show make sure u let it be known that its about the dancing NOT the glamour(that's just icing on top of the cake). Ohh and as for the name, its called Irish dancing or irish step dancing. NOTHING ELSE!!

November 28, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Haley

I don't know if I likethe idea of this. I'm an Irish dancer myself. I feel that people will join Irish dance for the wrong reasons, like in hopes of being on TV. Also, the costumes and such we wear (and wigs!) will be scoffed at, people not knowing much about them. The TV show may put an emphasis on that. Also, Irish dancing isn't cout-throat, like the show Dance Moms depicts dance to be.

November 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. IrishDancer

Speaking on behalf of all Irish dancers, IRISH DANCING IS A CULTURE, SPORT, AND BEAUTIFUL ART FORM. Not a beauty pageant. Though we wear wigs and dresses, these are both traditions that have evolved throughout the years and, while it has a stunning effect on stage, is not the only reason we dance. Anyone who dances will tell you that they love the feel of simply dancing, no matter if they're performing or simply practicing at home. Unlike how TLC will depict the Irish dancing story, it is NOT about the makeup and wigs. TLC will only try to tear apart our culture and make it look ridiculous like Dance Moms and Toddlers in Tiaras and this is NEVER what Irish dancing has been about. I would hate to see our culture be exposed on the media this way, because it would set a completely wrong mindset towards the world of Irish dance.
    Oh, and by the way, TLC it's IRISH DANCING.
    Not "Jig Dancing" or anything else. People, this is proof RIGHT HERE that they don't even care to know about our culture. A "jig" is only one kind of a dance that Irish dancers do. All they care about is making it look like a ridiculous reality TV show to make money.

November 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

Wise up W.A.S.P.s! but "Irish jig dancing" is pejorative in a "stage Oirish minstrel" sort of way ; )

November 17, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. maggie

"Irish jig dancing"? TLC, if you're going to make a show about it, you need to at least know the name!!!! Irish dancing. That's it. Not Irish river dancing, Irish jig dancing, riverdancing, or any of that! I'm a little worried here really...

November 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Orlaith

I hope they portray Irish Dancing accurately...it would be easy to focus on the few "beauty" aspects of ID (wigs and dresses) but Irish dance is overwhelmingly about talent, hard work, and athleticism.

ALSO: TLC, it's not "Irish jig dancing," that makes no sense! It's Irish dancing, or you can say Irish step dancing if you wish. But "Jig dancing" and "river dancing" don't make sense, just FYI!

November 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Killian

I'm an Irish Dance mom, but I doubt I'm screwed up enough to be on any show on TLC. I don't scream at my daughter, I don't force to practice when she's sick, I don't hassle judges, I don't start domestics with my partner in the middle of a Feis, and most of all, I do NOT photograph dancers on stage, which is strictly against the rules of the IFC. (That last one torques me off like nothing else!)

November 16, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Haley

I agree with the part of filming the dancers while dancing. The dancing would be a huge part of the show, but it is a rule against IFC. I hope the show won't be anywhere where I'm competing at!

November 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

I'm in college now, but I danced for about ten years. While I agree with you that not all Irish dance parents are super over involved dance moms, I know that I have seen my share of them at feises and performances. Now don't get me wrong, it's definitely not everyone. I mean my parents were never like that, but I highly doubt they won't show some of them on the show, I mean it is tv after all. I'm really curious to see how the show turns out.

December 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Rayne

This is interesting. I'm excited for the show, but I'm really annoyed that they've compared us to 'Toddlers and Tiaras.' I can definitely tell you we dress pretty crazy like the snotty girls on that show, but we actually have a talent. I know that makes me sound like a snob but people don't realize how crazy hard we practice. 4 hours a day. Literally.

November 16, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  18. Missy

Sorry, meant no disrespect. I have seen these dancers, and I know they are athletes. I didn't realize how popular it was, especially in this country. Hope your daughters excel in their dancing. Sorry Greg.

November 16, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  19. Gregg

One thing you need to know, these dancers are ATHLETES! They practice 20-30 hours a week to have the chance to attend the world championships and do not think that this a small group, the Western Region Championship is coming this week to Anaheim, Ca and there will be 1875 dancers competing.

Both my daughters are Irish Dancers and they work hard to excel at, in my opinion, one of the most difficult dance styles there is. So before you put it down check it out, you may be surprised!

November 15, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Missy

Yikes, what can you say about this? I had no idea that irish jig dancing is a global phenomenon. I feel so out of touch! lol!!

November 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |