What's the verdict: 'Hunger Games' trailer
November 14th, 2011

What's the verdict: 'Hunger Games' trailer

The trailer for "The Hunger Games" debuted on "Good Morning America" Monday, and the survey says impressed (also: Can.not.wait until March 23).

After debating about the casting - Jennifer Lawrence as 16-year-old heroine Katniss Everdeen, Josh Hutcherson as her competitor/love interest Peeta and Liam Hemsworth as her other childhood friend/other love interest Gale -  and checking out a teaser trailer, we finally get to really see the casting in action.

If you haven't yet read Suzanne Collins' post-apocalyptic trilogy, this will help, and here's a brief summary: Katniss volunteers for the brutal, government-sponsored televised game that has kids 12 to 18 fight to the death in order to save her sister from having to "play," so to speak.

Entertainment Weekly doesn't care if you're into YA lit or not, believing that "even the most determined haters felt their pulse quicken in that final countdown, before 24 children of Panem are sent off to fight to the death in front of television cameras."

The L.A. Times points out that if fans were worried about how the dystopian world Collins' created would be manifested on film, they shouldn't be, as the trailer is appropriately stark.

i09 finds Lenny Kravitz to be "a great Cinna," with a heavily made-up Elizabeth Banks looking "pretty spot on as Effie Trinket."

The Washington Post found the trailer to be "a pretty terrific clip, one that hews faithfully to the book and bodes well for the March release."

On Twitter, Bravo's Andy Cohen got goosebumps, and Time's film critic Mary Pols weighs in that it looks like director Gary Ross "is right in tune with Suzanne Collins."

Even those who've never read the books can get into it: Says JD Harmeyer, "I know nothing about "The Hunger Games"....but from this first trailer, it looks pretty awesome."

Filed under: Hunger Games • movies • Trailer Park

1. 9000mah行動電源

Turn out to become scored the wife or husband along with babies considering that a new buff via nowadays coupled with! Our loved 1 together with my spouse and i is to acquire more informative... A individual occur to become able to become which will dude! 9000mah行動電源 http://www.powerbankfresh.com

June 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michelinet Bonfigliog

Hello there, I found your blog via Google while looking for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

July 29, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hawthorne Heart

I love the books, the trailer looks great. But sadly, the cast just doesn't do it for me.

December 14, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gonzo 108

CAnt wait till it comes out!

December 10, 2011 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. Red Pison

The verdict is it's a Battle Royale knockoff story.

December 7, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. simona

OMG!!!! i lovvveeeeeee the trailer!!!!!!!! i mean i was looking 4ward 2 the film, DUH. ILOVE THE BOOKS but i didnt xpect it 2 b so AWESOME and so ACCURATE!!!!!!!!! exept my only complain is that jennifer lawrence doesnt quite capture Katniss's sarcasm atleast from wat i c. watever ill check it out wen it comes out and c if i was wrong about her acting :)

December 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lil Bacon

i pictured the characters to look different than these actors, but....... I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO COME OUT!!
    i <3 hunger games!

November 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LaurenRouse

I absoltuly loved the books but I just have this weird feeling that the movie is going to be a total flop. And even though the rest of the cast is amazing(Lenny Kravitz as Cinna eep!) I'm not really digging the people who play Katniss, Peeta, and Gale. Nothing agaisnt their other movies but I don't think their the right people for these parts.

November 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sade

ive read all 3 hunger books and personally i thought the trailer was a borderin on lukewarm...

November 23, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamouda

onestamente,i resident evil evcchi li ho provati tutti sul gamecube, e posso dire ke l unica cosa che odiavo di questi giochi erano quei ***** di enigmi, per me soppravivere agli zombi vuol dire essere in citta o in una villa infestata da zombi e sparare per soppravivere ,non trovare una chiave con uno stemma e capire quale porta apre, comunque sono daccordo sul fatto che invece di fare uno sparatutto sui binari potevano essere dei remake dal n 0 al CODE VERONICA ,se poi riescono a darci un RESIDENT EVIL 5 per wii meglio ancora anke a costo di cambiare qualcosa sia a livello grafica e giocabilita

March 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. George-o

Yawn. Meh. Feh!

November 16, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. Liz

The trailer looks fantastic!! Anyone who questions Jennifer Lawrence, watch "Winter's Bone". I was upset at her being cast as Katniss at first too, but after watching that, I've put all my fears to rest. If the movie is as good as the trailer, I know I'm gonna be a happy. And Josh Hutcheson as Peeta was excellent as well. He absolutely embodies the empathy and feeling in Peeta's character. SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE!!!!

November 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Katie

Victoria, the guy in the picture above is Gale. Peeta is in the trailer, and he is blond.

November 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Katie, ur mums a dirty ho, she let out quite a squeal oink oink...

December 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Katie

The books were fantastic, the trailer looks GREAT. I'm so excited. I may have let out a squeal while watching this.

November 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ThomasLG

Start working on "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay", a la Peter Jackson and the Lord of the Rings trilogy - DON'T let this become a one-off!

November 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Victoria

EEEPP!!! love the HUnger Games! best book! rivals even twilight even! hey, isn't Peeta blonde, if that is Peeta in the picture above? lol! whatever! Go Katniss! (im too juiced)

November 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Budding Chef

Not going to troll, but of course it rivals Twilight. Twilight is a read-once-and-never-pick-up-again series that's perfect for the girls in the world who just feel like they need to have a bloody boyfriend. If you're goin to compare it to anything, it's nearly as good as Potter.

December 13, 2011 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

And there you have it: "Rivals Twilight." The concept of the "Hunger Games" is so overdone. Where is the originality? I was wondering why everyone was so excited, but now I get it. Same people who get excited about Twilight.

December 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. duh

good flicks this last summer? did you just step out of a time machine from 1992?

November 15, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  17. soflboomer

I got chills when they were racing to the weapons!

November 15, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  18. erich2112x

So many good flicks this last summer. Now it's all cr-p.

November 15, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. Loriel

The trailer looks great and I love Jennifer Lawrence but I am not sure about all of the casting; especially Peeta. I am still on the fence but we shall see.

November 15, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. Richard

Most over-hyped movie in years. I'd love to know what the producers are paying outfits like CNN and IMDB for all this.

November 15, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
    • ThomasLG

Have you read the book(s), or are you commenting without knowing the subject matter?

November 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. BullShark

I'm sorry to admit it because of all the positive posts here but... It looks like this film may cure my insomnia. The story may be fantastic but the acting just doesn't cut it.

November 15, 2011 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  22. Over 60

H. Games Books are great. My daughter suggested I read them. She was right again.

November 15, 2011 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  23. Alexie Price

It's a bit more modern and less rustic looking than in my imagination, however I'm very excited. Effie, Cinna, Katniss, and Gale all look spot on as the characters are translated from page to film.

November 15, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  24. Eh

Eh, wasn't too impressed honestly. This could be due to the fact that I read the book so long ago, or an overactive imagination. I didn't really get the dark feeling, or sense the deprivation that I did reading the book. The scene when katniss was presented in her dress was not at all how I imagined it to look, not to mention the security, or whatever they are called in the books look like clowns. But I did like the book, so I'll keep abreast of the trailers and such and see where it goes.

November 15, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  25. Maurice

I farted.

November 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rushhead2112

Damn that trailer sure did move you....and Yes, I also feel your excitement.

November 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. John

Read the books and loved them. Watched the trailer and loved it. That said, I think Jennifer L. would have made a great Katniss - five years ago.

She's too old now, and it's distracting to anyone who read the books and knows that only minors are eligible to participate in the games (she goes from 16 to 17 in the trilogy). JL looks like she's in her early 20's and too mature for the role. How old is she going to look by the time she makes the second part of the third book when her character should only be 17?

November 14, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pistachios36

Couldn't agree more. She's looks way too old and way too well fed to be a starving 16 year old.

November 15, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Superman97

***SPOILERS IN THIS POST***While I will agree that she does look older than 16/17, think about all she has been through in her young life: Losing her father, having to spend quite awhile taking care of her sister while her mother was damn near catatonic, PLUS she lives in a very rough district in a society that is ruled by the rich. Wouldn't you look and certainly feel a bit older than 16/17?

November 16, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  27. Greg

Many scenes in The Hunger Games, including the reaping, were shot in my hometown of Shelby, NC. In fact, my son was an extra in that pivotal scene, which took days to shoot. I think I can safely that our "proximity" to District 12, as well as, the killer trailer pretty much insures that the film will top the box office in this "neck of the woods".

November 14, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jackon

The trailer looks great. I am still hoping Jennifer Lawrence pulls this out. I was soooooooooooo hoping they would cast Mia Wasikowska in this role.

November 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachael

Hmm, I thought Hailee Steinfeld would've been a better pick appearance-wise, but I have no doubt that Jennifer Lawrence will portray Katniss perfectly.

November 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. s

It won't be out for a little while, but i promise, it won't disappoint :)

November 14, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tess

I am very pleasantly surprised. Most adaptation movies can't help but give away some part of the book that they've run roughshod over, but I feel like this was very close to canon. And very well presented. The music is also interesting... tough, epic, and slightly Appalachian. I'm very excited!

November 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. citanul1

Wow! Not a hater, not a troll, not a manga freak. As a matter of fact I am looking forward to the movie. Mellow out Woogychuck. Was just pointing out a similarity. Geez. ..

November 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  32. I

I loooooovvvvvveeeee The Hunger Games Trilogy!!! That is not how I imagined her dress at all. Peeta's Perfect, but I'm not sure about Jennifer Lawrence...

November 14, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corriebeth

I agree. I'm not saying Jennifer Lawrence isn't a good actress but she is too old and way too big for the role. Normally I would say we should look past an actresses size but in this case Katniss is a very small 16 year old. She hardly has any food for herself. Jennifer has a great figure but she looks too "well fed" (NOT fat...just healthy). To me, it's more dramatic seeing a very tiny, almost breakable girl going off to fight to the death than a healthy, woman!! There was just so many other actresses to chose from that looked the part and are great actresses!!

December 14, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  33. Citanul1

Battle Royale..... Check it out.

November 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Woogychuck

The Running Man... Check it out.
      The Long Walk... Check it out.
      Roman gladiatorial combat.... Check it out.

This concept is a frequently used literary device dude and it's based on historical contests far older than any manga. Stop being a hater and just be happy when good sci-fi comes out. It's trolls like you that make studios reluctant to invest in sci-fi movies now.

November 14, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnmichaelmaximilian

He just said to check out Battle Royale. Which people should, as Battle Royale is superb.

November 14, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iyla

I loved Battle Royale, The Giver, Unwind and Hunger Games. These are all dystopian series. Hunger Games is my favorite, but you all should read the others as well. Great books.

November 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Gina

I thought the trailer was fanastic! I'm so excited for this movie!

November 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  35. me

Hey light in the dark.r u in mrs waughs class?

November 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

I'm assuming Mrs. Waugh doesn't teach English... because yours is atrocious.

November 14, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. vittoriokiss

I never read the books, but i love Jennifer Lawrence more than Kristen Stewart. So excited for this movie

November 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • WTSBrains

Even though Kristen Stewart isn't a very good actress? I mean, she's far from terrible, but I cant imagine why anyone would absolutely adore her.

November 15, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  37. Light in the Dark

This looks amazing!!! I can't wait for MARCH 23, 2012! It almost compares to HP 7 Part 2 (even though noting can be that good) but the casting seemed iffy but, now i can't say that they fit into the roles better than I imagined. Cant wait!!

November 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Leaf on the Wind

Looks awesome to me! I've read the books and am really looking forward to the movie. Looks like good casting all around.

November 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Thorne

It looks fantastic. I'm really looking forward to the movie. I love the books and frequently am completely underwhelmed by the movies, but I have hope!

November 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. John

Winner: "Most Pathetic Anonymous Person on the Internet." Congratulations, firsty.

November 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |