Things go from bad to worse on 'Walking Dead'
November 14th, 2011

Things go from bad to worse on 'Walking Dead'

As if having a missing child, another shot and a baby on the way in the midst of a zombie apocalypse wasn't enough for our group of survivors to deal with, Sunday night's episode made the situation that much worse.

First, you had the aforementioned pregnancy, which Lori has yet to tell Rick about (though Glenn knows, having picked up the pregnancy test for her, and is sworn to secrecy).

Then, the tension between Rick and Shane nearly came to a head as the two argued while searching for Sophia, as Shane is ready to call off the search.

Daryl was still looking, though, and he ended up falling off one of Hershel's horses, eventually hallucinating that his (possibly still alive) brother Merle was taunting him. It was a pretty disturbing effect to see that his first vision of Merle was actually a walker getting ready to feast on him.

There were some incredible scenes for Norman Reedus here, as he struggled to climb up a ravine despite the imaginary Merle's insults while wounded and fighting off walkers.

If that wasn't enough, fans who don't like Andrea have a bigger reason to not like her now, since she ended up shooting Daryl after confusing him for a walker. However, it looks like he'll make it (to the relief of many a viewer).

In the meantime, Glenn carried on his fling with Maggie, heading towards the barn to rendezvous with her. Before she could stop him, he discovered a sizable number of walkers staying there. Looks like Hershel and company have some explaining to do.

Of course, I would be remiss not to mention the gangbusters opening minutes of this episode, the best flashback of the season so far, where it's revealed that the military was apparently napalming cities in the early days of the pandemic.

This was the strongest episode so far this season, due again in large part to Reedus' performance, and that stunning plot twist at the end.

Were you as impressed as I was this week? Post your comment below.

1. Jay Lo

This was one of the best episodes I thought and I was wondering what was going to happen next. I just seen the new episode of the second half of the second season and I was not pleased with the results. I thought it was slow and boring. I hope the series picks back up and I hope better things come to light with this show. I watched this using DISH online since I missed it on Sunday and I wanted to know what happened. I can access live TV or right off the DVR to view my recordings. This is another great way to watch TV on my iPad which enhances my employee service with DISH.

February 16, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

Everytime Daryl is onscreen, my television just sweats testosterone. But, Daryl needs a romantic interest. He needs someone that understands the abuse he suffered as a child and helps him cross over from the dark into the light, without losing his edge.

December 6, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dewy

The 1st season was great. I saw unlimited potential for story telling. Season 2, not so much, what is going on with the black guy and his son who nursed Rick back to health after he awoke. What's happening with the hispanic guys who got into a dispute with Rick over the guns? Where's Merle? The lack of the resourcefulness of the surviors thus far is abismal. Still i like the show and still think it has great potential.

November 18, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Darryl

Why does everyone assume Rick does not know? Did the Scientist at the CDC in Atlanta not take blood samples from everyone? Did he not whisper into Rick's ear just before they left?? I think Rick alread knows. But I could be wrong

November 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • dewy

Excellent point Darryl! I had forgotten about that scene. My wife said the same thing you did .... Rick already knows. Kicker; I think it's Shane's child.

November 18, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ray

check out the walking dead texting app called zlango https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zlango.zms&feature

November 16, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. Big Mark

Best episode of this season. By making Daryl a jerk in the first series, and turning him around to "hero" is great writing! I can see by everyones reaction that Daryl has become the favorite. Every episode should be like this one. Last week was boring!!! The show is above most due to it's writing as well as the violence. Keep the good writing, but maintain the zombie violence as that's what fans want.

November 15, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. hmm

As interesting as finding a cure would be, How do you reverse rot and dead insides? You can't. Maybe an anti-virus that can stop the attack on the brain, but I imagine even by then some brain damage would be done.

Fact of the matter is, a cure just wouldn't work. The person would just die in the end anyways, unless living with half your body missing is somehow possible.

November 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Namaste

Remember when Hershel told Rick that maybe someday they might find a way to contain it or cure it. He compared it to the way they handle AIDS. They're probably family and friends he hopes to save. Now I wish I hadn't missed the first 15 minutes! Daryl is by far the best and most interesting character, and I also hope they keep him for the entire series.

November 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark

Rick did say that Hershel wanted to deal with the walkers before they all ran out to him, not to mention you had a walker in the well that they tried to pull out and now we understand why Hershel wants them gone so quickly.

November 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. christine

Is not. He is a dirty redneck scuuumbag. And a hippy.

November 14, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ahrean

You left out a key part of the episode for both Daryl and Norman Reedus and that would be the scene between him and Carol, where she brings him food, kisses his forehead and tells him for possibly the first time in his life that essentially he's just as good as anyone else. After fighting off not only walkers, injury and his own inner demons someone reached out to tell him that despite what he may think of himself and had been told, he's worth something.

November 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EKjzxWMtcc&w=640&h=390]

November 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pliny

Not a bad episode.

The opening sequence reminded me of scenes in '28 Weeks Later", when they napalmed London.

And when Daryl first fell into the ravine, it reminded me of 'Deliverance'.
    When he climbed his way OUT of the ravine, it *really* reminded me of 'Deliverance'.

Do these zombies ever suffer from starvation?
    Are they fated to walk around until someone (Daryl) puts an arrow thru their head?

November 14, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. EJC

I think it's the best show of television.

November 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • dewy

It is a great show, but Breaking Bad is the best show on tv right now.

November 18, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. djm

NOPE! Not nearly as good as last season.

November 14, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  16. Monica

It was a fantastic episode! I couldn't believe they left me hanging on to know why those walkers are in the barn!!! No wander there was a walker inside the well.

November 14, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Lynea

If you recall, the old man that owns the farm is still hoping for a cure someday. I think those in the barn are people he knew and hopes to one day save.

November 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Zombie Girrrl

beware. zombie kitty is feeling bitey today!
    ^-^
    o o
    =u=
    ww

November 14, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  18. ihartwalker

I would like to see a flashback where Daryl has a confrontation with Sophia's Father in camp. Something that would give us a reason for him being so hell bent to find her.

November 14, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Noreen

On the AMC website, the actor who plays Daryl explains that as an abused child who has not dealt with the trauma, he thinks that if he finds Sophia, he can make it better or find some closure. Something like that.

November 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Me

I want to know more about the barn... hate that I have to wait until next Sunday to find out. The family is definitely creepy and I bet all those Zombies they are keeping in their barn are loved ones of some sort. I don't know who I hate more Andrea or Lori. lol I hope Lori comes to her senses soon and lets her husband know what is going on. It's cruel not too...

November 14, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. Say What

We really needed an episode this good after last week's less then entertaining one. Love this show. Love Norman and hope the writers keep his character around for the long haul.

November 14, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |