Joshua Gomez, 'Chuck's' new top spy
November 11th, 2011

Joshua Gomez, 'Chuck's' new top spy

When Joshua Gomez was told at the end of last season that big changes were afoot for his character, Morgan, on "Chuck," he didn't know what to expect.

As Gomez described the scene to reporters on Thursday, "Chris Fedak, one of the co-creators, went down on the set and we were just kind of talking...and he was like, you know, have you heard about [the season finale] yet? And I said no. And he was like, 'Oh, I’m going to be really interested to see what you think.' And I was like, 'Oh boy, I’m dead.'"

When Gomez read the script, "you get to the last page [where Morgan said] 'I know kung fu,' and it was like, you’ve got to be kidding me. This is insanity, I’m a dead man."

Since that moment, Chuck's best friend has had the Intersect – the entire database of CIA knowledge, along with some kung fu skills, to boot – while Chuck himself has had to work on being a spy with no special powers.
But most recently, something hasn't been quite right about Morgan: "He doesn’t remember who Indiana Jones was, and Luke Skywalker, and that ain’t cool in Morgan’s world."

Friday night's episode "tests the boundaries of Chuck and Morgan’s friendship," as Gomez put it, plus the "new" Morgan has had something of a makeover.

"Clearly something is very, very wrong when you actually see my hair, because it’s something else," he said. "Some people like it though. I’ve been told that some people actually find it fetching. Myself, I’m not one of those people."

But Gomez has enjoyed the chance to do something different. "This was fun because it forced me to just switch everything up and so I was excited. I was nervous at first, obviously for so many different reasons - just getting the Intersect I thought was just a crazy turn. And then as I started to get the scripts and I saw this character becoming what he’s becoming and how it was affecting him, it’s nerve-wracking. Our fans are really loyal and they love 'Chuck,' and I’m like, 'Oh, crap, I’m going to get things thrown at me for being a jerk.'”

After all, Gomez says, he'd understand that reaction.

"When I read comic books and writers in comic books decided to take the thing down a different path, I’d be like, 'No come on!' And throw the comic book across the room. But our fans are wonderful, and passionate, and they have every right to either say, 'no I don’t like this,' or 'I do like this,' or 'this is better than I thought,' or 'worse than I thought' - they can think whatever they want."

In fact, Gomez said that Zachary Levi has joked to him that playing Chuck and Morgan is a bit like playing themselves.

"As far as their love of sci-fi and comic books and all that kind of stuff, [that] was very much a part of who I was. I love video games and I have a huge collection of 'X-Men' comics."

And the game that Gomez is geeking out about at this very moment? "I’ll be picking up my copy of 'Skyrim' [the latest] 'Elder Scrolls.' It’s coming out, and it’s the first time they’re going to have trouble getting me to the set, because my life will be over for a month or two, playing that game. Very excited about it."

With only two episodes left to shoot for the cast and crew of "Chuck," Gomez reflected on his character as well.

"Every time I get dressed and I put on whatever kooky Morgan sneakers I have to wear, I kind of think to myself that I’m really satisfied with what I got to do with this character," he said.

And as for how they have approached the season as a whole, he added, "We’re just enjoying every minute of it, and having a really great time as a cast and crew. Really, just taking it all in."

1. Tommy Jr

Chuck is great. I love the new twists. Morgan with the intersect is very entertaining. It shows how much Chuck doesn't need the intersect, and how much he can grow into being a husband to Sarah and a great friend to Morgan. People that think the show has "train wrecked" or jump the shark, need to live a little and be thankful for a show that has more heart and soul, which most shows today doesn't even have that chemisty. Chuck the haters!

November 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mom

Yeah. I think ill make a good cinnamon swirl coffe cake. Anyone want some. On a good ccol fall day they are yummy in the tummy. : )

November 13, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. seriously, CNN

Doesn't anyone monitor the entertainment boards? We don't see this crud on the politics or justice pages.

November 12, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. carrieanne

Hey Bastian! You forgot the Illuminati, the truth about Area 51, who really built the pyramids and who the Anunaki (sp) really were oh enlightened one!

November 12, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nacho mama

I love Joshua Gomez' blue eyes. It makes people rethink who is Hispanic and what Hispanics look like, IE, Cameron Diaz.

November 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. carrieanne

@sokman I agree. They should have given the Intersect back to Chuck or better yet Casey or Awesome! Talk about coming unglued!

November 12, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jackdell

Latest Hip Hop & R&B Music,new music hip hop News, Interviews, Videos and Much More

November 12, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sokman

Chuck was a great show at first. Now... eh

November 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

it's like watching a train wreck. been going going down hill since the "Sarah" character left the little fast food place next door to the buy more.

November 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. thomas twain

@mr ed oh 4get it one message 2 u is enuff. @tony I think u r right !

November 11, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tony T

I think Mr. Ed is FUA. Pretty similar to that Glen. First he wants the gals to like him. then he doesn't. Have you ever had psychiatric care before, dude?

November 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Elder Benjamins

Im pretty sure Thomas Twain is also Superhiro and Mormon. They have been away for a while, possibly working a different shift at work or staying busy doing something else. They are a female, judgemental, probably in 30s, possibly in medical field or a wannabe, who is easily offended and wishes to be the blog policeperson.

November 11, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Shanaynay

JOGO is gonna make this show great! He is Selina Gomez dad so hopefully her and The Biebs will make some guest appearances!

November 11, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jose' Rodriguez

Are any of my fellow beatnicks going to hang out at the coffee house tonight? I heard there is going to be an incredible jazz player there. I think he plays the sax. I should be there by 8.

November 11, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jose' Rodriguez

This is going to be pretty cool ! It sounds like he might be a hispanic cat like me ! Awesome !

November 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |