Clooney contemplated suicide after 'Syriana' injury
November 11th, 2011

Clooney contemplated suicide after 'Syriana' injury

In an interview with Rolling Stone, George Clooney reveals that he was injured attempting a stunt for “Syriana” in 2005. The actor says the resulting pain was so extreme that he considered taking his own life.

The botched stunt left Clooney with a spinal injury that caused excruciating headaches. “I was at a point where I thought, ‘I can’t exist like this. I can’t actually live,’" he says.

"I was lying in a hospital bed with an IV in my arm, unable to move, having these headaches where it feels like you’re having a stroke, and for a short three-week period, I started to think, ‘I may have to do something drastic about this,'" the actor recalls. "You start to think in terms of, you don’t want to leave a mess, so go in the garage, go in the car, start the engine."

That would seem "like the nicest way to do it, but I never thought I’d get there," Clooney continued. "See, I was in a place where I was trying to figure out how to survive.”

To numb the pain, he simply turned to copious amounts of alcohol.

But these days, the 50-year-old actor is in better health, and better spirits. He enthusiastically reported a love of farts to the magazine. "[It's] one of the funniest things in the history of mankind,” Clooney says of passing gas. “Even the idea of a fart makes me laugh. Saying the word 'fart' makes me laugh. I have iFart on my phone. I have remote whoopee cushions. Farts. To me, there's nothing funnier."

Clooney’s next film is upcoming drama “The Descendants.” "If it's not nominated for best picture, I'll be shocked,” he says of the film, which hits theaters November 16. “It's that good."

Read Clooney's full interview in Rolling Stone's latest issue, on newsstands today.

1. icons package

Should you tell.

September 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. icon pack

I believe, that always there is a possibility.

P.S. Please review Arrow Icon from design-icon-set

September 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. кулинария,еда,рецепты,кухня,culinary,food

Wonderful site. A lot of useful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks on your effort!

May 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Billy Davis

Come on George you don't need any sympathy. You know you didn't contemplate killing yourself. Now he'll get another million women wanting to rescue him.

December 7, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. gina

yes george we believe you.

December 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tessiepie

I don't see why women are so attracted to him, he's oozes wimpyness. There is nothing manley about him. And what a loser at life if after having a headache for 3 weeks he contemplated taking his own life. pffft, yet he's considered some kind of hero, when i've watched people with terminal illnesses go down fighting, bearing and grinning it and wanting only MORE life, not to off themselves because of the pain. What a punk of a man. he's gross, don't like him one bit

December 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Abby

loony lefty stooge. Calling for the destruction of the world and when the world becomes a sick place to live because of socialism and multiculty policies , this loony lefty stooge will just go to his garage and start the engines. Coward.

December 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midwestmatt

Right wing whack job.

He called for the destruction of the world? Get off this site and head back to Drudge or Fauxnews where comments like this one are appreciated.

Jesus, what is wrong with you people??

December 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nguoinhaque

He is just acting....if he dies, all the model girls will be perish...he is just a selfish man, dump one girl after another...who cares what happens to him...b...s...

November 25, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. X

He wanted to kill himself because he had headaches?
    It's a shame he didn't succeed and spare us all those horrible movies he made.

November 19, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Kimberley

Clearly you've never experienced a migraine or headaches attributed to Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus or Multiple Sclerosis. This type of pain is so bad you CANNOT function. You can't do daily tasks, you can't think straight. You can't enjoy anything. All you have is PAIN. And if his pain from that injury was anything even remotely close to that kind of pain, then I can totally sympathize.

As for his acting... well... can't say much about that. Definitely not one of the best. =/

November 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midwestmatt

I've been through hellish back pain that colored every waking moment of my life for 3 years before I finally was allowed to have surgery in 1999 for a ruptured disc.

We're so glad you can stand in judgment of someone with intense pain that won't go away. Obviously you are so much better a person than the rest of us. Let us clear a path for your greatness.

December 5, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MotoJB

Hey everyone...I just farted.

November 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Aaron

Being in that sort of pain does make people go crazy. I had my jaw shattered once and That was the worse year of my life I tell you.

November 18, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Midwestmatt

I've been there with a ruptured disc that I had to endure for 3 years before doctors agreed to surgery. It was the most horrible pain I've ever endured and intense pain can drive good people to the edge. To all those who stand in judgment of someone in intense, unremitting pain, there but by the grace of God go you.

December 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kate

Ahhh, there's nothing like a drunk farter I always say.

November 17, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Karen

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Clooney is whacko. A career on the decline, unable to treat women well, holding onto his relevance. His ego is so huge.

November 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midwestmatt

A career on the decline? Says who? You?

He has directed, produced and starred in numerous motion pictures and continues to do so. He sells magazines, movie tickets and many people are still plenty interested in him.

Fail.

December 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JMC

Hmm, his sense of humor is about as interesting as his acting career. I don't dislike the guy, I just don't see him as a major talent. He comes across as totally shallow and a flake. I saw the Ides of March and the ending was such a let down, just like the other movie he directed a few years back. Save your money and wait until it comes out on HBO :)

November 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sirgropealot

Funny that I always thought the word Fart was hilarious and share that same thought with Clooney. It even sounds funny to me when I say the word just as he describes it. Probably the funniest natural sounding word in the English language!!!

November 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. @Carrieann

Lol..yea right

November 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. carrieanne

@Ken C, seriously?! Are you new here? You're complaining about fart and there are everyday conversations and standoffs about poo and much worse here and you have a problem with fart? Run while you can, you cant handle this site!

November 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ken C

I'd like to know what piece of TRASH wrote this article, thinking it was ok to use vulgar language (uh...and why didn't the editors spot this???)

November 12, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • sirgropealot

Just what do u find so offensive and trashy about a FART??? I suppose you are so good that you don't cut the cheeze when u take a chytt??? Real All American Blue Blood...probably like one of those coaches that molests little 10 year old fledgling cox!!!

November 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MotoJB

Wow, are you serious?

November 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midwestmatt

Why did you read the article then?

If the word "fart" was that offensive, you could have stopped reading and moved on to one of the 150,000 other CNN.com pages that don't use the word "fart" at all.

Fart.

December 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sokman

Thank goodness he didnt succeed. What would we do without him making women famous just by dating them & his speeches about how much more in touch & ahead of the curve celebrities are?

November 11, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Beautiful Vixen

Lmao..okkaayy! I bet when he is with his gf he blames it on the duck.

November 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Shane s

Next he shouldnt contemplate he should just do it

November 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. melissa

SCOOOBY DOOO ! IT IS FRIDAY ! We hope everyones weekend will be tooo happy !

November 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Evel Knievel

I wish he'd contemplated it to fruition.

November 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  24. tricia

I miss tracie. She is funny sometimes. Very rarely, but sometimes. Happy Friday everyone.

November 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  25. thomas twain

So the guy lol about farts Wonder how he feels about burps ? Where is tracie she would like this one

November 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  26. tricia

quit trolling everyone you dooodooooeater.

November 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Derp

Derp Der Derrrrrrr

November 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Superhiro

who cares. he cant act and is funny looking.

November 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Beat you to it, Observer...

...this guy is a liberal stooge.

November 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • ladydi

Hey George – so you love farts? Come on over to my house – I'll let 'em rip just for you!!!!!!

November 16, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Midwestmatt

And your point is what? He's a liberal, get over it.

Tom Selleck and Kelsey Grammar are conservatives but no one calls them "conservative stooges".

So what. Plenty of us are conservatives and liberals but the vast majority of us keep an open mind and actually listen to the debates from both sides. Unlike yourself.

Stooge.

December 5, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • AmericanSam

And you are one of the three stooges.

December 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |