Selma Blair: I lived in a homeless shelter
November 10th, 2011

Selma Blair: I lived in a homeless shelter

When it came time to decide between buying a dress and being able to pay rent, Selma Blair once chose fashion.

The actress shared with E! News that she was living at a homeless shelter when she purchased her first Versace dress… instead of paying rent.

"My first Versace piece was a red velvet overall minidress," Selma said at a soiree for the Versace for H&M line. "I was basically homeless, living in the Salvation Army in New York City. I was 21 years old, and I saved up all my money [for the designer dress] that I should have saved up for rent at the Salvation Army."

Luckily, a piece from the fashion label’s H&M line won’t impact your budget quite so harshly. Pieces range from $17.99 (for boxers) to a $299 leather jacket.

"Every woman should feel what it's like to wear Versace, and now they can!" crowed party guest Jessica Alba.

The Versace collection hits select H&M stores on November 19.

1. sosofresh

Wow, I learned something new about Ms. Blair today... she is a vain, self-important, pretentious, imbecile. Neat.

December 6, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Alix

What an idiot. That's taking away a bed from someone who really needs it. I hope she has donated hugely to the Salvation Army...and after this idiocy, she should probably send them the price of 100 Versace dresses.

December 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. nancy

We all do stupid things in our early 20s. However, there are only so many beds in a homeless shelter. And the sad thing is that she selfishly took up a bed, potentially preventing some other woman, who may not have been able to pay for rent or a dress, or anything else for that matter from being able to spend the night there.

December 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Charlie

Oh boo hoo, another rich white woman who thinks she is a victim and the world owes her something! (I am white, so don't assume someone of another race posted this)

December 3, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. roro

pretty pathetic
    makes her look dumber than she is

November 29, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dave

I wonder how much money I would have to have before I gave a damn about Versace clothes.

However, I do feel for that extremely ugly woman that runs the place.

November 29, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Greg

For all you people complaining about her taking up beds for the "poor homeless" there's many "poor homless" people who have i phones and use their public assistance money to smoke crack.

November 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dore

hope she donate allot of money to the Salvation Army.. those are good people there.. While I do not share their religion, they do gds work none the less.

November 23, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Randy

I made a program claled Blockify to automatically mute the adverts on without using a list or proxy.It is simple to use, with no installation or setup needed.For more information check out this record youtube.com/watch?v=eXXdWn44RQadadw or my website gube.co.uk/Applications/If you have any questions please send me an email. It can be found on my site.Thanks!Tripv420 aka BitByteBit.

August 11, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sigrid

David,I will be checking in every week. I have not seen or heard antiyhng bad about this from early previews. Scorsese's stamp on this tells me all I need to know.John, I look forward to discussing the show with you. DHS

August 14, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jenbeee

Fact check, please! If she was paying (or supposed to be paying) rent, it's not a "homeless shelter."

November 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rock

ummmm....boo hoo?

November 21, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mister Putter

Why is she bragging about this, it's not like she's an A lister. No one will remember or notice when she dies.

November 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MotoJB

Wow, I just lost some respect and attraction for her. Just another stupid, too rich for integrity celebrity...supporting lame American habits. Spending money on a dress instead of keeping the lights on? Taking advantage of a salvation army bed when she can somehow buy a Versace dress? The worst part is that she thinks nothing of this by admitting it openly in public, like it's supposed to be funny or something. Way to go Selma.

November 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeepers

Wow. Her priorities were pretty mixed up.

November 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sarah

Wow that's just disgusting.

November 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chris

This is an advertisement at best, pure drivel at worst.

November 15, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  16. RCDC

I will built her a house if she is my girlfriend.

November 13, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  17. RCDC

She is beautiful. Her boyfriend is very lucky.

November 13, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. Ginger

This is very disappointing. The Salvation Army and other shelters have a limited number of beds, so some truly needy people may be turned away at the end of the day. She let other women and possibly children sleep on the streets so she could afford a fancy dress? :(

November 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janine

I completely agree with you. People have no sense of personal responsibility anymore, and I personally would never accept a handout like that, especially when it would take the same away from someone who truly needs it, unless I was literally starving and had absolutely no choice. I have zero respect for people who do this, and even less for those who brag about it.

November 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • tine

I also agree with you! I worked with homeless women and children as a social worker and I can tell you how shameful this is. Being in a shelter for some people is their LAST and ONLY option. I cannot believe she would admit this and think that this kind of behavior is okay or funny. Very disappointed.

November 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MotoJB

Amen...way to go Selma.

November 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Anomic Office Drone

Choosing fancy clothes over a place to live doesn't make you fashionable. It makes you stupid.

November 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. DJ AFRI-MAN

Dang I wish she would have come and lived with me. Plus I would of helped her pay for the dresses.

November 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

anything for a white woman eh

November 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Faby

The as you look over my mind! You peer to learn so much over it, through the night auetrohd magic of making up involved as well. In my opinion , that you can perform with many pics they are driving your message residential a bit, nonetheless besides these very, this can be superb web log. An incredible read through. I'm able to be returning.

August 11, 2012 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  21. christine

@youtellem...let me tell you something. winnie mandela may have murdered people...that just makes her a murderer. And your comment makes you a black kkk member.

November 11, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  22. Playjojo

Sweatheart, from the sound of you, you'd only attract white trash anyway. I don't know why you're being so picky.

November 12, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |