Mariah Carey on how she lost 70 pounds
November 9th, 2011

Mariah Carey on how she lost 70 pounds

Mariah Carey recently debuted her six-month-old twins to the world, and now she's revealing her post-baby body.

The 42-year-old singer stepped onto the stage of Rosie O'Donnell's OWN program "The Rosie Show" on Tuesday in a black mini-dress, fitted leather jacket and stilettos. Carey, who is married to Nick Cannon, gave birth to twins Moroccan and Monroe in April of this year and has since lost 70 pounds.

"I learned a lot, being pregnant, watching my body change," she told Rosie. "It wasn’t until the very end [of my pregnancy] that it got to the point where I really realized that your knees and joints can only take so much. So people who have been battling weight problems their whole lives, I have this whole other understanding of what it feels like."

Carey says she initially lost 40 pounds of water weight just from giving birth to the twins, who were six pounds each.

"I had so much edema – water and swelling...I didn’t think I’d ever be the same person," she says. "The first week, I lost 40 pounds of water." She then lost another 30 with help from "Jenny," formerly known as Jenny Craig, and she says watching her intake was a big factor.

"When you get the C-section," Carey says, "you can’t work out right away. The diet is 90 percent of it."

Although the singer/actress says she doesn't typically weigh herself, she does add that she's going to "throw out the scale" when she gets back to the size she was in the "Touch My Body" music video.

"The thing is, I never weigh myself. I did not weigh myself. People will think I’m a liar, but it’s true," Carey told Rosie. "For me, and this is another cliché phrase, but I’m a big-boned girl, I’m a big girl, I’m tall. So I always weigh more, unless we’re going to talk 10th grade or 9th grade, that’s the last time I probably looked what I weighed."

Instead, she's more likely to pay attention to the way her clothing fits, and how healthy she feels.

"The whole point of this is not just, 'look at me and my weight loss,'" she says. "It's really about health."

Filed under: Celebrities • Mariah Carey

1. these 2 don't hack and your not eitherone....report please

June 30, 2013 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Reginia Start

Night sweats are episodes of nighttime sweating that soak your nightclothes or bedding even when your bedroom isn't excessively hot. Night sweats are a common problem many people experience from time to time. Although uncomfortable, night sweats typically aren't a sign of a medical problem. **`-

Catch you later
    <http://healthdigest101.com

June 30, 2013 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Laureth

@dudley, 40 pounds was water weight(as many other posters have pointed out to you). She had edema. 40 pounds of water, two babies and two placentas added up to 70 pounds. Until you've had a baby yourself, you have no clue what you're taliking about.

December 8, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. pregnant man

Believe me, every man with a pregnant spouse knows exactly how it feels to be pregnant. We suffer more than you do

December 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sockpuppet

Isn't this a no-brainer? How did she lose 70 lbs? It's called giving birth to twins and breast feeding. That will do it. It's not like she was actually 70 lbs overweight with fat and worked to get that off. This sin't some kind of miraculous accomplishment

December 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Answer

She lost 70 pounds because she has all the money she could ever need, trainers, nutritionists, etc. I guarantee you if she had to sit on her butt all day at a desk she would have gained an additional 70 lbs.

December 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dead Greg Giraldo

She can lose another 70 pounds by divorcing that twink husband of hers.

December 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

Umm... Mariah is 41. Not 42.

December 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Liz

Mariah Carey is awesome. Good for her for her persistence in working off 30 pounds and - congrats on babies.

November 30, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TIMMIE

SHE LOST 40 POUNDS OF FLUID SO THAT MEANS SHE GAINED ONLY 30 POUNDS WITH HER PREGNANCY. MARIAH WAS WELL WITHIN THE LIMITS OF WEIGHT GAIN . ALSO ,WHEN WOMEN TAKE FERTILITY DRUGS THAT TENDS TO PUT ON WEIGHT.

November 24, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. gained weight for the booooob implants and then...

Li-po-suction! clap clap clap clap clap! Li-po-suction! clap clap clap clap clap!

November 17, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Melinda

Does anyone watch Rosie?

November 11, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim Dandey

Lost 70 pounds? I thought for a minute there that she dumped Nick Cannon; that would do it...

November 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rumplemystiltskin

I love how that little shirt is an attempt to cover up those beauties – i wonder if the volcano has cooled down enough so that nice black man can get some action again

November 10, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rock

Ohhh 70 pounds...i thought it was 170 pounds she lost thinking she got rid of that guy who drooped off his sauce a 15 months ago...

November 10, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  16. gah

yes, it's "normal" to only gain 25-30 pounds with pregnancy, but not everyone fits into that little box. i gained 50 with each of my pregnancies and lost it all afterward. my problem is that i have such a sensitive stomach that if i didn't have something in my stomach my nausea would get the best of me and i'd start vomiting. i didn't snack on candy bars. i snacked on yogurt, fruit, etc, but it adds up. it was either gain extra weight or vomit my way to the hospital for IV's, so i chose the former. pregnancy is so hard on a woman emotionally you really shouldn't criticize them for weight gain. what matters is the health of the mother and baby.

November 9, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. BUFFALO

At least she didn't use the "I had a baby(ies). Now I'll just become a fat pig." alibi most of you sows use after you have kids!

November 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. yada yada yada

Ok all you self absorbed boys without families out there: NO UTERUS, NO OPINION! STFU!

November 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • gah

i agree. not everyone is gisele and can fit into their pre-preggo jeans the next day.

November 9, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • QQ

dont be jealous just because nobody was interested in having a baby with you – youre probably heavy enough already

November 10, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  19. Maryann

I can't believe how mean people can be when making "comments" – It was never said that she gained 70 lbs from the pregnancy (with twins, no less)... just that she LOST 70 lbs. She obviously had some extra weight to lose even before she was pregnant. Now, zip it!

November 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Vanessa

Amen!!

November 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Stephanie Bellows

@Manda you are a very fortunate woman,your husband sounds so amazing and I know that your boys are just beautiful God bless your family.

November 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Anna Jane

@Dudley - given the physiological requirements for 1 or 2 babies, one puts on more weight than...the baby. And it's not all from eating - there's water/amniotic fluid, shared blood supply, the placenta (not a small thing, honey), and yes you are indeed eating for two. All of the women who posted that they gained a lot of weight...lost it. One woman can have completely different pregnancies - not gaining enough in one, and gaining too much in another. Most of the women I know didn't really change what they ate either. Hormones are whacky things at times, that's life. As for the husband "suffering" through 2 years of post-partum baby weight...oh, for Pete's sakes. Selfish? She carried 2 babies, and now cares for them!

November 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Gweynth

I truly hope you all find jobs soon!!

November 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dudley0415

To start, I like Mariah Carey.

But 70 pounds? I realize she was eating for 3, but even at the very end, together the other two weighed what, 10 pounds?

November 9, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • kwag

Dudley, you need to shut up now. You don't know what you're talking about, you're taking up valuable space for others to hate Mariah who also don't know what they're talking about. You started it. Take a biology/anatomy/genetics class. Get some class while you're there.

November 9, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jaykatt

Jose, she may still be fat, but she's phat in all the right places! Wish I could see a pic of Mariah standing next to YOUR girl! Nuff said...

November 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jordans

Lol okay then wow how do we know? weve never seen his girl! gosh harsh people....im telling you im all that and some though

November 9, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. jaykatt

I'm trying really hard to care considering how much my rent is and how much my bank is charging me in fees and the surcharges on my cellphone bill and how my auto insurance just went up and how I have to worry each day about lay-offs and the economy, however, I will say Mariah, your twins are great! Dembabies are beautiful and so lucky they will never have to worry about rent and how much their bank is charging them in fees and the surcharges on their cellphone bill and their auto insurance going up and lay-offs and the economy. Glad to see you lost the weight, there was never any doubt that you would. And I know I don't have to tell you to pay the negative comments from the idiots no mind.

November 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jose

She is still FAT!

November 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Canaan

If she never weighs herself, how does she know what her weight was in the 'Touch My Body' music video? She has great talent, but has always been a delusional b#@ch!

November 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. my question is-

If she don't weigh herself, how did she know what she gained, lost at birth, weighs now ? Lier lier pants on fire !

November 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amina

Because every stinking time you walk into your OB's office they make you get on a scale. As often as she was in and out of the hospital, I am sure she was VERY well aware of what her starting and ending weight was. By the way, your OB visits don't stop once you pop that baby out...you still have a post-partum to do. That is how she kept track of it. Believe me, I don't own one scale but I can tell you every single month how much I have lost or gained thanks to my OB.

November 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. AL SHARPTON

I would ask Miss Piggy (Carey) what her friend Qadaffi thought about her weight loss before he was killed in Libya. She is a self-centered spoiled white girl who tried to portray herself as black. I didn't buy it then and sure don't buy it now. Go back home and eat your bon bons, Miss Piggy.

November 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. @Pliny

Hi Pliny. Are you really Derp? You sound like Derp. Derp Der Derrrrr.

November 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. @Manda

Are too ! Are too ! They are all oinkers that eat dooodoooo. Guy are dooooodooooooheads.

November 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Manda

I weighed ninety pounds before I got pregnant when I had my twin boys I was up to one hundred and seventy five pounds my last three months my doctor put me on bed rest.Now two years later I have two healthy toddlers and i'm back to my original weight with the help from a loving and patient supportive husband,see ladies they're all not pigs.

November 9, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • dudley0415

You nearly Doubled your body weight? Are you serious? Your weight became a two-year issue for your spouse – does this not seem just a little bit selfish to you?

Yes, you were eating for 3, but they weighed at birth, what, 12-15 pounds max? Something was way out of control, no matter what your doctor says.

November 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Vanessa

For your info I weight 120 now and I was 115 before I got pregnant!

November 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mick

Evel ppl here say you like cans and hers are hugh especially now that they're full of milk.lol

November 9, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  36. Vanessa

I gained 75 lbs with my 1st child. And only had one baby in my belly! WAY TO GO Mariah!!!! I know it wasn't easy but I bet your very proud of your self now!!!

November 9, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • dudley0415

Unbelievable. Does anyone actually believe that it is necessary to put on weight equivalent to TEN TIMES the weight of a newborn in order to meet their nutritional needs?

This isn't about being pregnant. This is about having no limitations.

November 9, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • dudley0415

75 pounds. At birth the child weighed what, 7 pounds?

10X? This is necessary? Think not.

November 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen

I gained weight and am NOT tall.

November 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Evel Knievel

If she would lay off the chocolate mayo sauce she could lose another 70

November 9, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  38. Oscar the Grouch

Check out Rosie checking Old BubbleButt Mariah out....yea...Rosie wants that Glitter....

November 9, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  39. tracie

Why is everybody being mean to me lately? YOU ARE JUST JEALOUS!

November 9, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Because you are boring.

You think you are funny.

But you are not.

November 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. tricia

LOL Tracie. :)

November 9, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  41. tricia

When I was pregnant with my twins I got pretty big.

November 9, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen

I gained water also, after giving birth I was down to 113 pounds from 154 in a few weeks. It just fell off.

November 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  42. MelB

Explain how she GAINED 70lbs? She had twins you *$%&#! What kind of idiotic question is that? And of course it comes from a MAN who has NO clue about weight gain during pregnancy. Jeez, the stupidity of some people.

November 9, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • comeon

It's a valid question. If you are expecting twins you should only gain 35 to 45 pounds during your pregnancy. Not 70. If you are eating healthy that is.

November 9, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • loni

I gained 45 lbs when I was pregnant. And that was with one baby. Until people have gone through a pregnancy they really shouldn't be making comments about how much weight you should or should not be gaining. She had a lot of health issues when she was pregnant. She looks great now.

November 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChristianJlover

lmao...you have me weak as ever right now

November 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Biff Tannen

How about she explain how she GAINED 70 pounds in the first place

November 9, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • MAtt Lawls

She WAs Pregnant with twins.. thats how...

November 9, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • comeon

If you are expecting twins you should gain 35 to 45 pounds during your pregnancy not 70.

November 9, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Amina

comeon: Uh...no. A healthy woman of normal weight should gain anywhere between 25-30 pounds during pregnancy. An overweight woman should gain 12-20, and a woman carrying twins should expect to gain a little more. Take into account Mariah took fertility drugs and her age and you have a high risk pregnancy. I know women who gained 70 pounds carrying only 1 baby!

November 9, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ebon

She had multiple miscarriages prior to finally having the twins. That would do it I would think.

November 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renae W

If you read the article, it says she had edema pretty bad. WATER RETENTION She retained 40 lbs of water. The other 30 was fat and the babies. That's why she lost the first 40 within 1 week. I went thru the same thing due to gestational diabetes. I gained 50 lbs, but 30 of it was water. After about 10 days of profuse night sweats and going to the bathroom constantly after having my baby, 33 of my pounds were gone. It took a couple more months to get rid of the other 17.

November 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris B

Bill, since you obviously can never be pregnant, you don't understand what the crazy hormones do to a women. I gained 60 lbs and lost it within 3 months after giving birth. For some women, it is very easy to gain weight during pegnancy. Since she lost it now, all is well.

November 10, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • OLJ

Bill, When I got pregnant, I was 115 lbs, by the end of my pregnancy, I was 180. It was mostly water, I lost 40 lbs right after giving birth. Hormones get messed up during the pregnancy and so does the body.

November 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |