November 9th, 2011

Blake Shelton doesn't care what you think about his drinking

Artists are usually a little nervous when they step onto the red carpet at the CMA Awards, but that's certainly not the case the night before.

At the annual BMI Awards, where they honor the best in songwriting, the red carpet is always a party within a party. And that's just talking about Blake Shelton.

Tuesday evening, the country superstar elicited laughs when waxing philosophical (kind of) about his sudden burst in popularity, after a decade-and-a-half of slogging away.

"I'm a country artist. My job is to lay my heart and soul on the line, and my heart and soul is being a redneck, and drinkin' and being stupid. That's what I do!" he said. Translation: Country music is all about authenticity and being true to who you are.

Shelton also plans on staying far, far away from controversial topics that could get him "in more trouble than being wasted all the time already gets me in," he said. "I drink alcohol. I always will, until I die. And I don't care if you like it or not."

Case in point: Lady Antebellum's Charles Kelley and Dave Heywood, whose fans identify with their earnest brand of country pop. The two picked up medals for "Our Kind of Love," off Lady A's sophomore album, "Need You Now."

"My dad's coming tomorrow, and I know he's going to start raiding my awards closet and wanting to take stuff home with him," confided Kelley.

The gala included a tribute to veteran songwriter Bobby Braddock, who was honored as a BMI Icon for penning such country classics as Tammy Wynette's "D-I-V-O-R-C-E," Toby Keith's "I Wanna Talk About Me" and Billy Currington's "People Are Crazy."

"Some people may not know his name, but in the music business, he's a legend," James Otto said approvingly.

Braddock admits he's yet to crack the code for guaranteed chart toppers.

"People ask me that," said the 71-year-old songwriting legend. "If I knew the secret, I'd be writing hit songs every single day."

Sugarland's Kristian Bush attended the BMI event without his partner, Jennifer Nettles. A week and a half ago, Sugarland returned to Indianapolis to play a make-up concert for the same crowd that had gathered on that fateful day in August, when a strong gust of wind led to the collapse of their outdoor stage. Seven fans were killed while others suffered injuries. Bush's emotions are still raw from the past few months.

"It's like any kind of tragedy that happens," he said softly. "You're scared, and then you crawl in a hole, and then you hug your friends, and then you call your parents, and then you crawl out."

Sounds like a country song in the making.

« Previous entry
  1. Sorine

Hell Ya! be you and if no one likes it too bad totally agree

November 16, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. PAT

Reba,ABC and NASHVILLE MUSIC INDUSTRY should be proud of this drunk. He is advertizing drinking and as we all know this country does not have enought alcoholism. You CRAZY FREAKING PEOPLE mind YOUR business Blake is our CMA MALE VOCALIST. ABC TV was lucky to have him work at getting seen at the AWARDS SHOW. Yes. don't believe any viewer could have missed him. Hang in there with your drink Blake and we can't wait for THE VOICE on NBC. Don't forget the BOOB TALK. Yes, we do know you like BOOBS, you tell us you do! NARVEL BLACKSTOCK iis doing a great job with management , This is our Country Music you know. He was our CMA SHOW OPENER!!!

November 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lynrmm

Blake, I could care less if you drink yourself silly....I don't even know what you sing like But I've heard country music and do not like it. Maybe if you got away from that whiney music you might straighten your life out. If you listen to that music day in and day out, it would drive anyone to drink.

November 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • RD

Oh like rap and rock is so much better? They are all the same in the end, country sings about drinking, rock sings about drugs. And just because you don't like doesn't mean he don't. He became a COUNTRY singer for a reason. Sounds to me you need a little variety in your life.

November 12, 2011 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Arya

Nasar October 12, 2011 I sonlrgty agree I put myself around good people and things are starting to happen.

February 13, 2012 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. APH

If you want to see someone entertaining in concert it is by far Blake Shelton! He will make you have a great time! He is awesome!!!

November 10, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. VA

Starting to see a lot of similarities between country and hip hop...

November 10, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dan

71!! Guess there's still hope for me. I write better stuff than I hear on the radio. What do I have to do?

November 10, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. @Get a room

U r a piece of sh!t

November 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. my 2 cent

@Get a room. u r a s-c-um bag

November 10, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Get a room

As long as Blake isn't hurting anyone else with his drinking, and he keeps himself responsible, by all means let the man drink... it's his life and his body, he can do what he wants.

November 10, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • chey

i agree just leave the man be i just love to hear him perform has a really nice sound

December 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. duh

let's post about other people's posts because I care what losers on a website think

November 10, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. jess

that wasnt directed at anyone oor an insult. i just wantyed to say it. saying childlike things relieves stress. it makes me feel better.

November 10, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. jess

Monkeys always looooook. Mooonkeeyyys alwaaays loooo oooook. : )

November 10, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. @ Beautiful Vixen

u have a habit that's giving u away on ur trolling..lol. Don't make trouble with me and Evel. It won't work.

November 10, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Beautiful Vixen

@Evel.. ummm care to explain why you called me a blog wh'ore luv? It may be you but i'm also thinking of the other..our female troll..lol

November 10, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. u

Cry more more more. More more more !

November 10, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. Beautiful Vixen

Hi, Evel .. I honestly don't know what else to say. The blogs got crazy again..lol. Good night luv. @lol..good night to you also..lol..

November 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. lol

Mr ed don't care what u think about his drinking neither ! Lmao

November 9, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Isis

Cat scratch fever. Bad boys of rock/metal are always better.

November 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. fernace

Aside from being a talented country artist he's also a country hunk! Miranda Lambert is a lucky girl!!

November 9, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. former californian

Who is Blake Shelton? Do you live under a rock? He is one of the coaches/judges on "the Voice", a huge country star and hilarious character. HE is far more talented than most of the wanna be musicians who try to do rap or other music.

November 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. rebelwithacause

Who is Blake Shelton?

November 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. James Otto Sweet Heart

I see a mention of my most favorite singer in this write up, I love James Otto SO much!!! (big smile)

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly in East Tennessee