Britain bans Dakota Fanning fragrance ad
November 9th, 2011

Britain bans Dakota Fanning fragrance ad

The BBC reports that a Dakota Fanning ad for Marc Jacobs' Oh Lola! perfume has been deemed inappropriately sexy and banned in the U.K.

The ad depicts 17-year-old Fanning holding a flower-topped perfume bottle between her thighs. The positioning, combined with the ad’s styling (Dakota’s fresh-faced in a short dress with polka dots) “drew attention to her sexuality,” according to the Advertising Standards Authority.

The advertising watchdog, which noted that Fanning could be mistaken for under 16 in the image, said the ad “could be seen to sexualize a child,” and wants it pulled immediately.

Designer Marc Jacobs previously told Women’s Wear Daily that he chose Fanning for the ad precisely for the young star's sex appeal: “I knew she could be this contemporary Lolita, seductive yet sweet.”

The ASA, however, isn’t such a fan of the “seductive” image, and ruled that the ad was irresponsible and likely to cause “serious offense.”

The perfume company producing Oh Lola!, Coty UK, argues that the image is “provoking but not indecent.”

1. StoptheInsanity

It's a horrible fragrance and an extremely tacky ad....marketing genius...or fail? I'm going with fail. Spend your money on Thierry Mugler Alien or Angel...or the classics Chanel and Versace

November 10, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Across The Pond

Seriously, guys? It's not as if every single person in Britain got together and decided this was an inappropriate advertisement. I'm kind of on the fence about it. I can see why it may offend some people over here, but don't tell me that no one in the USA would find it offensive.
    (Is the teeth thing the only kind of insult some of you can come up with?? It's our USP. :D)

November 10, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. 01jack

OH hell good people leave the girl alone.She is still a kid and learning and be sides she still looks very young.If most of us could still stay looking young we would be happy.Half of the 20yr old woman look 40.

November 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dtcpr

I honestly find nothing wrong with this ad. She's 17. There are numerous state in the US where the age of consent is 16 years old and the average age of losing your virginity is 17. Besides I think that there are FAR worse images out in the media for people to villanize. Seriously people, lighten up. She isn't naked, she isn't 12 or 9 years old and it's a perfume ad, not a Trojan ad.

November 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. iduna

yummy!! So its a little on the edge. She's a hotty and she could sell me the empty bottle. I would still be buying it.

November 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. equalizer

Isn't 17 legal in most states here ... i like the ad, Maybe shes trying to lean away from everyone thinking she is just a kid.

November 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Luscious

Are we headed for a world where it will be Burka's for everyone?

November 10, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Goose66

Good on the Brits for showing a little taste and morality in enforcing censorship laws.

November 10, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pedobear

She's a little old for me but that ad is hot. Stodgy ol brits, shouldn't you guys be more concerned about the butt-plundering of your privacy by the media as well as your 1984-leaning govt.

November 10, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mormon

Fap-tastic!

November 10, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. trazey

HA! it's so overt !! i thought it was going to be all subtle and suggestive but nope, a great big GIANT flower in my lap hahahah that's kind of hilarious ~ oh and she's ADORABLE! I love seeing her on a talk show, very poised and mature, not a giggling vacuous idiot. Love her!

November 10, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tatiana

She could pass for 14 in this picture...I agree with Britain.

November 10, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chris Hansen

If this allows me to catch more pedos and report them to the cops, let it be. I need to restore my image after the affair I had ruined my credibility... so anyway, with that being said... all of you offenders have a seat right over there... you're all going to be questioned for your comments here.

November 10, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. A

I think Dakota is a beautiful young lady with enormous talent! This ad is very disturbing though. It screams pedophilia! I'm sad that she and/or her mohter agreed to do this. It's very obvious what message it sends. Good for Britain for banning it!

November 10, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. Honestly

Seriously... for those of u who don't know, deFLOWERing a girl refers to taking her virginity. Dakota Fanning is a minor (who, mind you, looks very young for her age) and fits the physical description of someone a rapist might assume is a virgin. To put anything resembling a flower between her thighs in an ad for a company that commonly markets toward adults... you know EXACTLY what you're doing and what you're selling and it's NOT right.

November 10, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Im sure the movie where she played a girl raped by her father had nothing to do with any of that either

November 10, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
    • tigresse

Honestly: well said and agree with you 100%. Advertizing is all about the subliminal messages that are sent to the brain by using images and symbols. That has been a well-known fact for over 75 years when the first research started in Austria about the effect of symbols, images, pictures, etc. on the brain. By the 1960's this was being used to mass market products on an immense scale, in particular with the advent of television. Guest: Dakota is first and foremost an actress and actors don't always play pretty roles but disturbing ones as well. Frankly this ad is far more disturbing to me and I"m sure many others for the message it sends, than some portrayal in an acting role. That's what actors do.

November 10, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Athena12

Honestly, you are oh so right! These advertisers know exactly what they're doing, and HURRAH for Britain's banning. Besides, the ad is not only prurient in the worst sense, but also visually unpleasant.

November 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

Honey, look who your trying to explain to. People who cant get past the face. Or who don't care the age. Just sad all around.

November 10, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. chana

kate moss or dakota are pretty.... but certain brands like marc jaobs have plain looking models who arent that pretty, i guess they tend to look for that type of look.. but i wonder if it atleast smells good lol..

November 10, 2011 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  17. Just saying

The positioning of the bottle is crude to say the least. Is the ad telling you use this perfume and you'll smell like someone's thighs? No thanks.

November 10, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

Thighs? Look again. There's a correlation between the flower and....well, you know.

November 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mommybear

She's very cute,but I don't want my girls 6 and 9 to see this ad.

November 9, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..damn you guys hold no punches.

November 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. @Goat-

Really? I have seen the nastiest teeth attached to the fattest bodies in the United States.

November 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • USA Proud

Let's be polite now I think both in the USA and UK have very ugly, fat people but I certaibly wouldn't say they are all in the USA! I've been to the UK and you people will eat just about anything.

November 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jess

Kate Moss is pretty. Dakota looks like a vampire or zombie.

November 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Louise

I don't get it. Kate Moss is always taking her clothes off. I didn't see anything wrong with this add.

November 9, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. herman

Gosh she is a fugly little thing. Have you seen her in the movie PUSH ? Looks like all of her skin is covered in diaper rash.

November 9, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. me

The forbidden fruit is always the sweetest. This will just make Brits want this perfume even more.

November 9, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. goat

She is just so ugly. Seems like the Britts would love her with their snaggle teeth and homely look.

November 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • state-az1

mocking other countrys views not cool like most on here shows alot about usa. usa needs to look it self like you need do to in the mirror idiot

November 10, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sherri

Repressed Idiots!

November 9, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. ted

I just dont see it. She just really isnt attractive to me. Give me a Swedish Bikini Team member anyday.

November 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Yeah,shes not nearly as hot as other girls her age

I just think of her what I think of the Olsen twins,you saw them when they were young,now they have weird kids faces on the body of semi adults.

November 10, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |