Stars react to the passing of Heavy D
November 8th, 2011

Stars react to the passing of Heavy D

The shocking news that seminal rapper Heavy D died Tuesday at the age of 44 launched an outpouring of emotion from those who knew him and were influenced by him.

Many opted to retweet the artist's last postings on Twitter, encouraging statements such as "Never stop believing," and then, just before his death, "BE INSPIRED!"

Others still recalled a man who was as legendary for a gracious spirit as he was for his music:

• "I can't even think right now yall. Heav was my dude. What a friend. My heart is heavy." - Q Tip
  • "May GOD embrace the soul of Heavy D and Bless his family. I respected you Heavy and I always will." - LL Cool J
  • "Heavy D was...no...is one of Hip-Hops finest. Your art and contribution will live 4ever brother!" - Common
  • "U will be missed Heavy D so many laughs we've shared but your Music is Timeless and will Always be Around 4ever Love u Heav." - Missy Elliott
  • "When I met Heavy D.. He said "believe U have a good soul, Sing with always having Something to say". This was 1 year Be4 the 1st album RIP" - Keyshia Cole
  • "When people say the phrase"he's a good dude" @heavyd Personified that. He at core a good dude and I hurt knowing he's gone." - Marlon Wayans
  • "Heavy D was a truly positive and uplifting man. Rest in peace Heavy. Its a very Sad day today." - Joel Madden
  • "I'm so sad about Hev. He really was a wonderful person." - John Legend
  • "RIP. Heavy D. i can;t believe that. I can't. Was just in London w him. WTF." - Estelle
  • "Man. I was just with Heavy D recently in London. Had I known it'd be the last time I'd see him, I woulda told him he was truly great. RIP..." - Ne-Yo
  • "Smokin' Joe, now this?! The overweight lover Heavy D was one of my favorites growing up. From an era when hip hop was fun, entertaining...and had a social conscience. He was a cool, smooth big man... R.I.P Heavy D.. My condolences to your family." - Mario Lopez
  • "I just talked to Heavy D. He was encouraging me about life. This is crazy.@heavyd such a beautiful person. He did and will continue to inspire me." - Nick Cannon
  • "R.I.P. To my dude Heavy D. He sat me down & gave me many inspirational talks when i started early in the game. Gon miss you brother." - DJ Clue
  • "Rest in Peace Heavy D. You provided the soundtrack to some of the best times of my teenage years. Your music will always make me smile." - Fred Savage
  • "Heavy D gave me advice when I was pregnant. He said, "Cherish every single moment. It goes by way too fast". Rest in peace, Heavy D." - Alyssa Milano
  • "We'll never forget you babe!...His BET Hip Hop Awards performance seems so much more special now. Thanks BET." - Nicki Minaj

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

« Previous entry
  1. Jeanieg Vernieh

One more thing I would like to mention is that as an alternative to trying to suit all your online degree courses on times that you complete work (considering that people are fatigued when they come home), try to get most of your lessons on the weekends and only 1 or 2 courses in weekdays, even if it means taking some time away from your saturday and sunday. This is really good because on the week-ends, you will be extra rested and concentrated with school work. Thanks for the different ideas I have acquired from your blog.

July 10, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lawthera Bertusu

Thanks for your post. Another issue is that to be a photographer includes not only trouble in recording award-winning photographs but also hardships in establishing the best photographic camera suited to your requirements and most especially issues in maintaining the standard of your camera. This can be very genuine and visible for those photography addicts that are in capturing a nature's exciting scenes – the mountains, the actual forests, the actual wild or even the seas. Going to these exciting places definitely requires a digital camera that can meet the wild's severe conditions.

July 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. johnnie

Mr. Big Stuff was a great heavy D song n every fan of hip hop and rap will miss you RIP Heavy D

December 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lord dingdong

I am soo glad there is another rapper dead. Now... if the rest of them just all the sudden died.... alot of people would be happy...hahaha.

December 1, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. richard kanny azuike

heavy d,rest in peace bro will never forget my best track sister sister.

November 18, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Darien Simmons

he was an awesome man! i'm only 18 and my mom loves him to death and wont stop and i wont stop either! R.I.P Heavy D

November 14, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mike J

I'v never been deep into rap music, but Heavy D's music is music that I always liked, so I own more than I thought I did. Rest In Peace, Heavy D

November 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MS GLO?

TO MY,AND ALL OF HIS FANS HEAVY D. WILL BE MISS. I REMEMBER THE CLUB DAYS WHEN THE DJ WOULD PLAY HIS SONGS EVERYONE WOULD GET UP AND JAM TO HIS MUSIC, THEIR WASNT A EMPTY SEAT IN THE HOUSE. THE GOOD OLD DAYS WERE FAB. MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIM AND HIS FAMILY EVERYWHERE. MAY GOD SHINE A LIGHT UPON YOU. YOU WILL BE MISS. REST IN PEACE.

November 12, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. Navygirl1970

Heavy I am so heartbroken. You are one of the few talents (rap) I listened to back in the day and even now because you always respected the ladies. You never called us the "B" word the "N" word or any of those other negative names that some of us glorify now days. I enjoyed each and every song/message. I enjoyed watching you on TLC during the wedding of Mary/Mary artist Erica Campbell. I pray peace and strength for your family today....your talents extended to the masses therefore you made us your family....#WishingUaPeacfuljourney....

November 11, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. Maya Ivey

I love you Heavy D,your music will live forever,R.I.P

November 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pam

Wow so sad but we have to know that God knows best he knows what he's doing. It makes us also know we have to get closer to our Lord and Savior.... He is doing fine in Heaven, I promise you that....

November 10, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nepawoods

I clicked on this thinking it had something to do with astronomy.

November 10, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mr. Ed

So what who gives a sh!t

November 10, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nic

Pulmonary Embolism

November 9, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nic

Wow, I've never heard of him.

November 9, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Mike

I met Heavy in the early 1990s. Delivered furniture to his house in Westchester County, NY. Didn't realize who I was delivering to until I saw him inside the house. Very likable and down to earth guy, never acted like a big shot. He joked around with me and my delivery partner. Cool guy, he will be missed. My condolences to his family.

November 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. TCB

This news brought tears to my eyes....He was a great entertainer from back in the day when I went to a 90's concert! I can only imagine how special he was to those who were close to him. I am truly saddened by this news. My thoughts and prayers to the family and close friends of this cool dude!

November 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mystic

Yesterday, hip-hop lost one of its most notable icons, and a great positive spirit. Everyone who knows his body of work or has met him has only kind words to say about him. Thank you Dwight for being one of the most talented and positive beacons in hip-hop music. And a talented actor to boot, I'll always remember the quality work he did in the 'Roc' series. Rest in peace Heavy D, and bless your great, warm, and kind soul.

November 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Rivey

RIP Heavy,love your music

November 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jodi

Heavy D was one of the few TRUE rappers that didnt talk about violence n drugs or disrespect women n his music unlike the rappers of today. He was the best and will TRULY BE MISSED

November 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. J Patt

Great guy,his music in the 80's,I think about the NCO club at Ft. Riley KS. and the fun me and my boys had,Chunky but Funky.

November 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Joe

BET awards? Wow, talk about racist. Imagine if there was a WET awards...

November 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Say it ain't so

RIP heavy d you left your mark on hip hop forever. May God receive you in his kingdom.

November 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Maurice F. Sisco, SR.

I will see you in the after life Heavy D. May you rest in peace and may the Holy Spirit comfort your friends and family.

November 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Pedro Seda Jr

His music was cool. Now he's in a better place. R.I.P Heavy D !!!

November 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. CC

Always loved you Heavy D, you made being fat Beautiful before Biggie Smalls did, Loved your joint with Super Cat!! "There is no death." SPIRIT NEVER DIES!

November 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. sirwinston1941

The late Mr. Dwight Arrington made so many happy with is rapping. He perhaps open and closed many performances. All who sends their condolences know's the impact of this rapper's demise. Heavy D, as he is known went on home to be with is creator. Another soldier fought a greatful battle, is reward is heaven. As he move on in his journey, I am sure he will be rapping his way until he reached the gates and will enter with is gospel rap! God Speed!

November 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Remus Tucker

This is very sad to hear. A man pivotal to R&B and Rap. He will be missed.

November 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Dee Jay Paul

P.I.P Heavy hope i see u some day on heaven One Love

November 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Dee Jay Paul

R.I.P In Peace Heavy

November 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Isabel

Wow this video shows he still had so much to give to the world of music.

You were a big part of the soundtrack to my childhood. God Bless and R.I.P. Heavy D.

November 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Ebony

RIP Heavy D...truly one of the greatest talents hip hop had...we'lll miss you

November 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jaszmine

rip heavy d i really didn't know none of yours songs but my grandfather loves your music so therefore i think you are a good inspiration heavy d lives on forever and ever this is sad months after the bet peformance only 44 and he's gone goodbye

November 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Antonio M

We met in nyc in '98 and you called me "down to earth and approachable" and I laughed and said the same about you. You gave me advice about staying out of "the game" and being real to myself. Well I listened, followed your advice and now I'm proud to say Ive been outta trouble ever since and its because of your advice. Thank you Heavy D for taking those 10 min to find a good in me that I never saw till then. My heart is with you and my condolences to your family. You will be definately missed in Buffalo ny.

November 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  35. wesi westa malete

RIP heave i know this world can be domant and uncaring,you inspired soul for real and the late BIG!!!

November 9, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Voice of Reason

Oh boo hoo. A million kids just starved to death in the time it took me to post this. Grab some perspective people.

November 9, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • mswhite

including you and yours for you to post that comment...grow up

November 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • george

I'm with you, who really gives a .... There was no blog filled with tons of people crying when my friend died in the Military but we should all be sad because some over weight, over paid rapper died. NOT!!!

November 13, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  37. Shequiqui

Who?

November 9, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. HOLA

If 'Heavy D' was a 'Light B', things might have turned out for the better!

November 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dinmix Abraham

This is a very sad news to my ears, heavy D he is a good man. I respected his kind of humility, i also loved his music so much. He says Baby dont be afraid show ur love. I miss ya heavy.rest in peace.

November 9, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  40. DL

Heavy D was the very beginning of this Brain Rambling Brainwashing HATE RAP, about drugs, violence, the F word, the B word, and the N word.

No wonder our young people are frustrated and angry listening to this crap and believing it.

November 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

@DL Before you open your mouth and spew venom, you need to educate yourself. Heavy D was one of the few rappers that did not disrespect women or engage in gangsta rap. His songs were fun, positive, dance music that people of all ages would and could listen to. It's funny how the word "rapper" brings up only negative statements. There are many positive rappers in the industry. Try to educate yourself on those instead of being force fed the ones the media hand feeds you. RIP Heavy D, my favorite overweight lover

November 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Missing HEAVY in Germany

He was a icon here too...
    I remember the early UPTOWN/MCA Records days.
    My heart is HEAVY....

November 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. wale

I remember the duet between heavyD & soul for real, heavy RIP.

November 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  43. BlackDynamiteNYC

Everyone who knew him respected him, as a person, and as a talent. He took the baton from Whodini, Doug E Fresh, and BDP, and he ran with it. He helped grow the rap game. Original style. Before there was B.I.G, there was Heavy D!

RIP
    BD

November 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Javier

"cause it's heavy in the middle!" – RIP D

November 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Maryann G.Tibbs

Miss ya babe.

November 9, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  46. The 1

it must be true, the GOOD die young, and the BAD live for ever, damn ole farts, -r.i.p. Heavy d-

November 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  47. FELIX SEDA

wow.....heavy d gone....i grew up wit him....felt as if i known him...always saw a smile on his face...big voice big guy ...great dancer..u will be missed ...ur music will be wit me always...ur entertainin god now....R.I.P...my bro...n thanks for the memories....8(

November 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Charles J

Heavy D was one of the great pioneers of rap. He will surely be missed. My condolences goes out to all his friends and family. He was a great guy.

November 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  49. big Al of KC

Heavy D was not only an entertainer but an honest artist that was also genuine. I guess they needed more hip hop in heaven!

November 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Carlos

I appreciated your profanity free music Heavy D. Live each day like it's your last. One day it will be. Be blessed!

November 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  51. pfos

FYI Wimp, i'm a female and i am speaking about the death of a good person and you take the time to write something negative..OMG! move along..

November 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  52. SoSoulful

RIP Heavy D. You will remain one of the great treasures in the world of Hip-Hop. Even when some people weren't checking for your music like they should have been and instead of trying to change your sound, YOU remain the same to your craft...your heart. One of the few hip-hop artist that didn't disrepect women in your rhymes, never use the "n" word in your rhymes, never felt the need to use in profanity in your rhymes...THANK YOU!! THANK YOU for the body of work you graced us with. You're last tweet was BE INSPIRED....and you TRULY have inspried a nation of many and will continue to do so. Much love & respect to your family, friends & fans!!

November 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Todd

I'm not a fan of Hip Hop and don't really know his music at all, but by all accounts he was genuinely good person, and it's always sad when good person goes too early. Condolences to family, friends and fans. RIP

November 9, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  54. JD

I never understood the need for uneducated, bitter people to come on these blogs and post negativity. You people really are no better than attention seeking pieces of crap. I was never much into rap, however this man was very talented and from what I can see thru reading multiple articles this man never swore in his songs and there were no illegal drugs found in his home. To generalize all rappers swear and are drugs users is ridiculous. Furthermore, no matter how one lives their life, or if we agree or not.......this was a human being, with family, friends and fans. This is not the place to be posting that gibberish and downright disrespectful to those morning his death. It really is sad how far the individuals in this society have fallen, especially when these people can hide behind anonymity. R.I.P. Heavy D thought and prayers go out to all who loved you.

November 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Snoop

Just because rappers are talentless hacks is no reason to be mean to the dead Heavy D.

November 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. hutch

It's amazing how someone can say something bad about a person when that person will only be remembered for good during their life. What goes around... But I can remember when Heavy D came out with 'Somebody For Me, and my Dad was about 75 at the time. He loved Heavy D and one day called me to see this big guy rapping on TV. My Dad was smiling so much and getting into the music. That's Heavy's legacy. RIP dude.

November 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mr D

I do not care for hip-hop, but your acting abilities were impressive; especially in "The Cider House Rules".

Here is to what might have been ....

Thank you for entertaining the masses. Rest now, your toil is over.

November 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. PhaReal

MAN!! He was just in that new movie with Eddie and Ben Stiller too? Life goes by so fast R.I.P

November 9, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Tower Heist sucked

I saw an advanced screening of that movie.

It was so bad it probably contributed to D's death.

November 9, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  59. pfos

My girlfriend text me the news and I couldn't believe it, a dark cloud came over me and I was just done. My kids and I watched him perform at the BET Awards and i was so happy to see that he lost weight and was performing with his dancers, i thought that was amazing, my kids loved seeing that. I love showing them our 'old school' guys so they can know where i'm coming from. Miss You Alot.. Heavy D..RIP.

November 9, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • wimp

"My girlfriend text me the news and I couldn't believe it, a dark cloud came over me and I was just done"

You sir, are pathetic.

Be a man and take it like one.

November 9, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  60. sid

Anyone know how he died?? I'm guessing it was his heart. I hope everyone realizes its not cool to be overweight, its very unhealthy.

November 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. sweetcia

My heart is so crushed ..we lost a great man..he will be truly missed.. I grew up listening to Heavy D..I play his music all the time. I was so excited when I saw him on BET Hip Hop awards.. I was like Heavy D is making a comeback..I was so happy.. Rap was back to what it needs to be... My condolence to his Family..much love to Heavy D...R.I.P

November 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crushed? Really?

Dear Overly Sanctimonious Person.

Your sentiments are a bit over the top; the man was not Gandhi.

November 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jennifer hunter

I did not care for heavy d & his music. But, god bless his family. they must be heart broken.

November 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  63. ALVIN Tucker

MAY HEAV R.I.P TO THE FAMILY KEEP YOUR HEAD UP LIKE HE WOULD WANT YOU TO.

November 9, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  64. inrsprt

R.I.P. although I wasn't big on rap/hip-hop I liked quality rap/hip-hop like some Heavy D, peace bro. may Lord Jesus give you peace & rest eternal.

Check out Hazakim, Shai Linne, Timothy Brindle, iLL day [all brothers glorifying God incarnate Jesus Christ]

November 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMFAO

"all brothers glorifying God incarnate Jesus Christ"

TRANSLATED: They all pack gats.

November 9, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Mike

R.I.P. Heavy B

November 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Fotographer

Heavy D was one of the nicest men i ever photographed. He wasnt in a rush or wanted Fiji
    Water. He was a talented nice guy. The look in eyes said a lot about the kind person he was. Great knowing you man.

November 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Tony Chicago

I remember Heavy D while growing up in Chicago! He was a great artist & will be sorely missed. God please forgive the terrible comments that people with no Brains have left. RIP Heavy D! God Bless You!

November 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  68. ALPHA

you should always be mindfulll of the narrow minded and obviously uneducated comments. you never know what vindictive and computer savy person is out there cooking up a nasty virus for you right now....... or not.

November 9, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Westman

Heavy D! I GOT NUTTIN BUT LOVE FOR YOU BRUH!
    RIP

November 9, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  70. aceeboy

all of my comments were replies but aren't posting that way. whatever, but to all you haters....it's a free country; post what you want but Heavy D deserves and gets more respect than all of you combined have for yourselves. sorry you don't understand how the greatness of a good natured entertainer can affect so many lives positively.

November 9, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Stacy

RIP Heavy D!!! Dont you know. . . Dont you know!!!

November 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Tracy

WHO????

November 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Mudnoc

Heavy D was a positive and inspirational rapper. I was never a HUGE fan but I have alot of memories growing up listening to his music. That said, alot of these negative comments disgust me especially when these people don't even know the man they are speaking on.

November 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  74. OgRedd

You're on my mind... and I wish you a peaceful journey. Brotha, I hope you hear me. – Og

November 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Leon

R.I.P.Mr. Overweight Lover! Heavy D is one of my favorite rappers/had a chance to see him in concert twice-great show! For those bad-mouthing his name & music need to be slapped! Heavy D did not cuss in his songs-jus provide feel-good songs-I used to wake up to "More Bounce" every day in high school. Damn True Hip Hop LEGEND GONE BUT NEVER 4GOTTEN! R.I.P.

November 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bill

Who???

November 9, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  77. FrankeB

Zeus keep him safe in the afterlife !!!

November 9, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  78. Tony T.

In my years working in flight as a flight attendant, I've seen and met 'em all. This is the one celebrity who has always stuck in my mind long after meeting him. Most celebrities at best are condescending (which is fine with me in my line of work) most hip hop artist are just plain downright rude, nasty or dismissive. Not him...the absolute definition of a gentleman as well as someone who could talk to anyone regardless of what their level was. RIP. To everyone, never mind the things 'haters' write about others on the internet, 99.9% of the time it's merely a reflection on how they actually feel about themselves.

November 9, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • MOMMYTWO

Well said Tony T. Sometimes I read the hateful comments and it makes me angry and I have to catch myself trying to understand these folks. Once I readjust, I just smh and keep it moving b/c they're not even worth my energy nor thoughts. I agree, its just a reflection of who they are. Haters full of hate.
      RIP in peach Heavy. Truly one of my favorite hip hop artist. New York Represent!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET YOUR HATERS BE YOUR MOTIVATORS...........

November 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  79. GK

ZEUS keep him safe !!!

November 9, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  80. Karen

Wow..I was stationed in Germany when Heavy D first came onto the scene. I loved dancing to his music at the clubs. So sad. He will be truly missed! RIP Heavy D!!!

November 9, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  81. Chris White

What an Old School Hip Hop Rap Icon he bacame. Hev will be truly missed. He was a master lyricist and could rap and move like no bodies business (Without) the explicit lyrics. No that's what I considered a true thinker in the Rap game. RIP Heavy D-

C-Dub

November 9, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  82. vern

Jus recently saw heavy d on the BET hip hop awards and he put the icing on the cake with a medley uv his ol' school classics. Pioneer indeed!!

November 9, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  83. Snshine

I am heartbroken to hear of the recent loss of one of my favorite artist of ALL TIME!! As a young teenager, Heavy D stood out (and always will) because he kept it clean, and his beats were banging! He truly deserved all the success he career afforded him...what a talented soul. Heavy D will be greatly missed. Love ya, Heavy!

November 9, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  84. Dona

Goodbye Mr. Bigstuff, we loved you so much. Thanks for putting Mt Vernon on the map. R.I.P.

November 9, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  85. Tommy

R.I.P. Heavy D. I remember your music all the way back in the early 90's when I was still a kid.

November 9, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  86. dwayne hollinshed

I grew up listening 2 the overweight lover will b missed RIP my condolences 2 ur Family

November 9, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  87. brian1952

Was his music truly inspirtional or was it full of 4 letter words? Have never heard of the gentleman nor his music. If his music was truly inspiritional as these posts suggest then my thougjhts and prayers go with him, his fans and family and all his friends!

November 9, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen

@Brian1952....his music was everything but four-letter-words...no bytches, no p1mps, no h0es.....listen to some and you will see...thanks for asking instead of bashing before you knew.....it was great dance music you could listen to in public....

November 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • westman

Brian1952 – Heavy D never used any curses in his RAP. His was inspirational. If you don't even know of him, why say anything? That makes no sense!
      Heavy D! Love you much! Prayers for your family. RIP

November 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • dmjk

If you are not aware or concerned for that matter at the passng of a Legend – then why are you posting on this blog? Im sorry that you missed the best era of Hip hop and music for that matter during the 80's and 90's. Have you heard the saying- if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all? Try it – it applies to DEATH!

November 9, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • SayWhat20

It is better to ask than assume, that's why he commented

November 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dukes

If you don't know of him, why comment. Keep your stupidity hidden, jerk.

November 9, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • mature

He commented on the posting of his death because it was about a human being dying and it's always sad to hear of anyone losing their life. As I recall Mr. Brian said if he was the person that we all are saying he was, his heart goes out to his fans and family. Clearly he can make a comment about someone passing, he doesnt have to know them. It's called GIVING CONDOLENCES! PAYING RESPECT! And you don't have to know anyone to extend that. Thanks Brian for inquiring about the man and paying your respects, the people who knew him, his family and the ones who loved his music really appreciate your prayers. Thanks for being mature about it.

November 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • red

Brian1952:
      I agree with Karen. He had good clean rap music before the itchs and oes became the new name for women... I grew up listening to him on the radio and he pretty much rapped about Love and one song I remember relating to black women. You should look him up on youtube if your mind is opened to listening to rap music.

November 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Myk

He was a great entertainer with a very positive vocabulary. You really need to listen to his music, my opinion "Peaceful Journey" was one of his best albums. God bless and RIP Heavy! You will always be loved and missed.

November 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  88. copes

I remeber only go times listening to his music,R I P you will be miss.

November 9, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  89. KY

heavy D... i hurt more when i watched the video.. RIP.

November 9, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  90. Jakelia Henley

Lord I hurt when I heard about heavy d...I'm still in that mood. Lord rest his soul as we remember his music.

November 9, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  91. Matt

RIP Heavy D, Let's all reflect on a classic

November 9, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  92. robert2011

Best song was "dem no worry we" with Supercat. Classic.
    RIP D...

November 9, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Patty Jackson

Yes I love his regaee song "Dem Dont Worry We" :) Classic dancehall song that makes you feel happy!

November 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  93. loving heart

CNN;One request please when a celebrity is ill or dies please filter vile hateful remarks,these people have loved ones that are grieving or trying to help the ill to recuperate they didn't ask for and don't need these ugly comments thank you.

November 9, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Rhonda

ain't that the truth.........................

November 9, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoSoulful

As much as we (the publc & fans) may want them to, they won't and that's just sad.

November 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Ceebz

Man , gonna miss Heav... He was waking it up at the BET awards :)

November 9, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  95. Dana

I cant believe it...i was just talking about him with my sister on monday...r.i.p Heavy....my prayers are with your family

November 9, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  96. Truth iz

Heavy had a heart attack outside hiz home. RIP D.

November 9, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

I believe it was respitory failure for an infection he was fighting actually. Still sad regardless...

November 9, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  97. SoljaGurl

So many people have said he ate, ate,ate... Did you HATERS know he lost weight? Did you HATERS know he was a GREAT ENTERTAINER... DID YOU HATERS KNOW THAT ALL THE SMACK YOU ARE TALKING IS DISRESPECTFUL?!?!?!?! When your people die I hope your friends and family and strangers are not in any way DISRESPECTFUL to your deceased loved ones.... A$$40LE$ RIP Heavy <3

November 9, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  98. kennboi

I will be forever inspired, " Love You Heavy D " .

November 9, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  99. Smack-it-up-Flip-it-Rub-it-down

Long live Heavy (1967 – 2011)
    Long live New Jack Swing (1985 – 1995)
    Long live the Golden Era of Hip-hop (1986 – 1997)

ஜ۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩ஜ
    █▄█ █ █▀█ █▄█ █▀█ █▀█
    █▀█ █ █▀▀ █▀█ █▄█ █▀▀
    ஜ۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩ஜ

November 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  100. candice

That is a shame. Only 44. May he go to a better place where he can be with his loved ones who have gone before him. May GOD Bless his soul and his friends and family.

November 8, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Terell Hall

I would like to offer my condolence to the family may the good lord be with you.Also today we a gold medalist and heavy weight champion of the world Smokin'Joe Frazier love you.

November 8, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  102. KIsha Lester

R.I.P. Heavy D. You will be missed. Luv ya.

November 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Kathryn Smith

RIP Heavy D...I GOT NOTHING BUT LOVE FOR YOU BABY! K.SMITH

November 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  104. ldstep

Heavy D. Beautiful spirit. Talented brother. An infectious smile!!

You provided your fans with a tremendous gift: wonderful music and lyrics. Rest in peace. You will be missed.

November 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  105. john hurst aka roosevelt wheel & tire co

i love you and will miss you always r i p

November 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Danielle Deavers

Wow I just listening to Janets" Alright With Me'I love the part when he says 'I'm a big mac you're a chicken mc nugget lol,he'll be missed.

November 8, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  107. MICKI

RIP HEAVY D

November 8, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  108. TJ

This is so sad. Heavy D you were truly an inspiration and a wonderful human being. My condolences goes out to his family.

November 8, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Carlton Standifer

RIP Heavy D,always greeted you with a smile no matter who you were,god bless your family and heaven awaits you brother

November 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  110. LaToya Dann

R.I.P, Heavy D!! My heart goes out to his family. May the Lord Jesus Christ, keep them.

November 8, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Beyond sad you are much loved and will always be missed. So much talent now in heaven what a party.

November 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Bmore

RIP Heavy D...a true HipHop Icon and inspiration to many others...my condolences to your family.

November 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  111. KS

Rude! Not Funny!

November 8, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  112. PasserBy

Actually, early word is that he seemed to have been dealing with pneumonia after developing a chronic cough and breathing problems while traveling abroad. If you look at recent pictures, he wasn't the "lard azz" that you and your ilk refer to him as:

November 9, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  113. SoljaGurl

Lets hope when your loved ones die that no one disrespects their lives or even you for being a JACKA$$.....

November 9, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  114. Reality

Hi Starfire or whatever you call yourself. Please include your home address in your negative postings and pray that Karma allows you another day.

November 9, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  115. Chris

Apparently you care Joe, you replied to this blog for some odd reason. I'm sure he had a net worth above and beyond yours. I predict that in the future, I will respond to your demise the same way.. Joe passed away today- Who Cares??

November 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  116. DAT

Yup. "Rap artist" is an oxymoron. Ditto "rap music".

November 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  117. BLAZE

TY aceeboy. trolls like that need not comment.

November 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  118. dmjk

If you don't care – y waste other ppl's time making smart comments? Who cares about u? y even read a blog about a topic that maes u "yawn". I hope that you grow up – but more than likely u won't. so just die- then we can all breathe a sigh of relief that another PUTZ has gone away.

November 9, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  119. aceeboy

This somehow got posted out of place but it was a reply to one of 1 of the 3 azzhole comments I saw. RIP Heav, you'll always be one of the great entertainers in the music business.

November 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Jackson

Lolcakes.

November 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Jan

You do have family members right?

November 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Ezo

Looks like you're the loser. Your life must be really so pathetic for you to come to a blog and post such a stupid comment. Don't you have something more productive to do? Obviously not..LOSER!

November 9, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Dani

At least Heavy D wasn't a jealous loser like Who cares! Bitter much?

November 9, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Tee

Tee – you have no clue what the man was about, so shut your piehole.

November 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  125. rep

not this guy. not at all. at least pretend you know a little something about subject the before you comment.

November 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  126. gumbalay

... and you are what lies beneath the garbage.

November 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  127. What

No that is you that you are talking about

November 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  128. DL

I totally agree with you rap is crap, it's about drugs, violence, F word, B word, N word no wonder our young people are frustrated and angry they believe this brainwashing crap BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM hear them coming three blocks away.

In the future they are not going to here a thing stone death, and I am going to laugh at them :-)

November 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  129. SoSoulful

I wasn't going to comment on your ignorant post but I can't and refuse to let this go. You are clearly a waste of space, time and air in the universe. If you knew who Heavy D was, you know that he has lost weight and took care of himself. You don't know what the case of his death was so STFU!!! If you don't know who he is, seen his televison shows, movies, or listen to his music.....DON'T POST YOUR COMMENT. THE WORLD WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER PLACE IF PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND OTHERS WEREN'T IN IT. Do us a favor and go play in traffic ON THE FREEWAY....dumba**.

November 9, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  130. SoSoulful

Like it or not, in this country everyone gets to speak their mind.

Just because you disagree with them does not make them wrong.

Or right.

Just like a black person using the N word. It's wrong for people of any color to use the word, or it is ok for EVERYONE to use it.

There should not be different rules based on the color of a person's skin, right?

November 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Agreed

And if anyone calling themselves with "Solja" in their name appears, I will have them redirected to a school so they can be broken of stupid ebonics BS.

I mean, you misspelled a misspelling ....how dumb is this country going to get?

November 9, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  132. WHY?

..Is it ok for you to make idiotic comments decrying others who do the same?

November 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Gala

Which is why you hide behind a computer. No one knows who or what you are either. Now go away!

November 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  134. J'Rod

Then why'd you leave a response at all loser. Punks like you are lucky the internet exists. u D*mned paper tiger/keyboard warrior... punk.

November 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  135. mswhite

@ whodat
    you would know since no one cares for you
    change the name to "who knows me-no one"

November 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Almondjoy38

Heavy "D" will be missed for his music, humor, and nice personality. He rapped in a way that allows me to listen to his body of work without having to ask my kids to leave the room. I thank him for good memories and fun times. I will pray for your family and friends as they adjust to living without you. It was good for me!

November 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  137. matue

it's too bad they can't screen out the idiots on these blogs. Just another dead rapper? Are you freakin kiddin me? You must be some young, dumb, uneducated child to make such a disrespectful& ignorant comment about such a great person. We grew up on Heavy D, he's family. You obviously wouldn't understand. Don't know if he did drugs, but that doesn't make him the person he was if he did (and i'm not saying he did) He was one of the biggest influential musically talented individuals and he wrote/rapped about positive things. No cursing, no disrespect to women, etc. If anybody can't show the man love then "STAY OFF THIS BLOG!". In the end he was a sweet person who is now gone, someones dad, son, uncle. A life lost is sad regardless of who they are. Idiot!

November 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  138. mswhite

so angry...what is the problem....need to get laid????? no more vaseline????palm of you hands have blisters?????
    so many women rejecting you?????so sad from one angry roach...LOL

November 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  139. J'Rod

Really? Just leave me your address so I can come convince you otherwise. Oh yeah, and yo moms too.

November 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  140. J'Rod

Yeah, it shouldnt.... but now go tell your people to apply the logic you used above to jobs, education, laws etc.... and then we can talk Buffy.

November 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  141. I'm Just Saying

So basically your gripe about the "N" word is that you can't say it without getting your @ss kicked. Either let everyone use it or don't say it. There always have been and always will be different rules based on skin color or do you live on another planet? Either way, I agree you have the right to say what you want without being ridiculed but trying to site the "N" word as a supporting fact is illogical.

November 9, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Jazzy

Everyone does get to have there own opinion BUT when did it become "PC" for people to be direspectful to the dead. If you knew or loved Hev (personally and/or professionally) then I can see you commenting. If you never heard of him before...what's the point in you (generally speaking) saying anything about him besides RIP and keep it moving. All I'm saying is...think about if it was your (again generally speaking) brother, dad, uncle, etc....you would have a different aspect of what people should say. Have some compassion and respect!!

As far as the "N" is concern....I personally feel like it shouldn't be used by any race what so ever!!

November 10, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  143. SomeoneWithSense

You're a retard!! Do you think before you talk??

November 9, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Kat

Two Things: He recently lost a lot of weight so before we blame that, let's find out what happened to him first. Plus, his weight might not have been a factor. He may have had a family history or other factors that contributed to his death. Also, what proof do you have that he was doing drugs? By all reports, he was the last person ever mentioned to be in that game.

I was heartbroken to hear of his passing yesterday. Regardles of what anyone says he was such a cool man, no matter his size. Rest in Peace, Heavy D

November 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  145. ?mylove

How the hell you going to say that man was using drugs?! You punk ass low life! Heavy D was one of the greats something you will never be even in your dreams!

November 9, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  146. mswhite

we can all "Agree" you should change your name to "dumbA$$"

November 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  147. George

Maybe he was a good person, I never met him so I can't say. I do know that thousands of our Military members have died while serving our country, making less than minimum wage, and being seperated from their families so why does some rapper get more attention than them? When I listen to the youth of today I almost wish I never served to protect your freedoms.

November 13, 2011 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |