Reese Witherspoon ditches python bag for PETA
November 4th, 2011

Reese Witherspoon ditches python bag for PETA

Reese Witherspoon has retired her python Chloé purse after People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) implored her to hang up the handbag, Gossip Cop reports.

After the Oscar winner was photographed carrying Chloé’s Paraty python bag, PETA sent Reese a video (narrated by her “Walk the Line” co-star Joaquin Phoenix) on the exotic-skins industry, and pleaded with her to give it up.

The Paraty bag sells for $3,820 on luxury shopping site Net-a-Porter.

Witherspoon, 35, complied with the animal rights group, telling them she’d give up the pricey purse for good.

"We've long known Reese to be a kind person, so we're pleased — and not surprised — that she is hanging up her python bag for good," a VP for PETA said in a statement to Gossip Cop. “We hope Reese’s honest mistake will serve as a reminder for all of us to be extra certain that what we’re buying is mock croc or fake snake.”

PETA says they’re sending the actress flowers to thank her for retiring the bag, and the group also notes that Reese’s “This Means War” co-star Laura Vandervoort just shot a naked exotic-skins ad for them.

1. ray

Jeez put out an article like this and watch every radical animal rights nutjob (Nicole,flipper,ren and ad nauseum) chime in.

November 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ray

Who the heck cares what these animal rights retards think. I want PETA out of my refrigerator,out of my community and off my planet.

November 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jennifer

These vegans are always whining about not killing animals... Well vegans, guess how many field mice, and other creatures are killed when your lettuce is harvested? PLENTY of them. PETA are hypocrites, and they are infringing on the rights of human beings; born omnivores. What they really need to do is STFU. I am so sick of them whining about animals. PETA, if you want to do something REALLY worthwhile, how about putting down the KFC Kills Chicken signs and going to St. Jude research hospital, and donating money to save the lives of dying children. But of course you won't do that, because a Hamster in Omaha needs a new kidney. Idiots.

November 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jennifer

I made a typo because I am angry. I meant to say chicken. These PETA nutballs boil my blood.

November 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jennifer

It isn't going to make the Python come back to life, is it? These people are terrorizing everyone. They would sooner save the life of a chiken, before a child who is dying of cancer. They are all nuts.

November 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bayleigh

When do we as perople start taking advice from a known terriorist group like PETA? Reese, you carry that purse with pride and thumb your nose at those people. PETA kills more animals than they save and that is in print., H$U$ and ASPCA are also in the same group.

November 5, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Truffles

What choice does she have, regardless of how she really feels? She would be damned if she did not comply with their wishes, and bombarded with bad publicity. Slowly we are loosing all of our ability to make our own decisiions.

November 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. abc123

i would of went out and bought and another one

November 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. T~

Peta stands for People entirely too asinine

I am so sick of everyone bullying others into to doing things, there was no need for this story to even go public, they contacted her she decided not to use the bag anymore. Makes them look bad for this and Reese look spineless

November 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. drakester

Isn't there a very serious python problem in southern Florida? The everglades are being overrun with a couple of types of pythons. I am against unethical treatment of animals but something HAS to be done about this critical situation.

November 5, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. new snake boots

HEY PETA!!!! I'm sure you guys do great work, but please.....Snakes?? I'll get behind you guys on this one when I see each of your members crawling around in the swamps of the Everglades catching pythons that are released by snake owners who can't handle them anymore..........What about the sweet Birds,Fish, Aligators. and other animals they are preying on down there???

November 5, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. carla gordon

Can't wait to eat the h@ll out of that turkey,ham and duck this wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

November 5, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. TJ

I'm more upset that Reese spent that kind of money on a handbag that could've covered my rent payments for the next four months.

November 4, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. carla gordon

When I eat steak I eat the h*ll out of it, and one day I'm going to able to afford a sable floor length coat and i'm going to wear the h*ll out of it,and if some azzholes from peta,rita or neata doesn't like it tough.

November 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Booo

I respect animal rights groups but sometimes PETA needs to "stfu, like the time they released a statement because Obama killed a fly or mosquito. Too bad the lives of our fellow human beings don't have as powerful a lobby.

November 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Hate Monger

"Hypocrisy is the mother of all credibility problems, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has it in spades. While loudly complaining about the "unethical" treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, the group has its own dirty little secret.

PETA kills animals. By the thousands."

Love my snake skin boots, I wear them while I eat a bacon cheeseburger with a side of whale blubber.

November 4, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. joe gar

i love all kinds of meats in my pita bread. veal, baby seal, beef, pig, chicken, turkey, snake, frogs, turtles, black rhino, white rhino, tiggers and pooh bears too. LOVE PITA bread.

November 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ME!

ANIMAL RIGHTS ARE A JOKE. I do not condone torturing an animal. That being said, I WEAR AND EAT THEM!!! THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE HERE FOR!

November 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flipper

And humans like yourself are only meant to start meaningless wars over nothing, kill each other over dumb things, and create more morons that follow Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Kim Kardashian. You humans are such imbeciles! That is what you are here for!!! You are the joke of the planet Earth! We animals laugh at you, and who cares if you murder a few of us... you guys do a good enough job murdering your own kind so that means less of you!

Come get me, I'm in the ocean you tool. Make sure you get here before your comrades end the earth with their constant polluting of the environment end this planet for good.

November 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donkey Kong

It's on like my name, "ME!"

I wondered why humans tasted so bad... then I figured it out... it's because you guys are just full of sh.....

November 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • :)

Thats what they are here for? I will be saying that the day you get chopped up into bits and made into a handbag. "oh yeah. thats why this person was put here for, to be brutally murdered" I'm sure you deserve it anyways, being that you think its okay...

November 4, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

Seriously, you are what's wrong with the world. You say you don't condone animal torture, but animals are here to give you food and clothing. Animal torture is what happens to make 99% of the food you eat and clothes you wear. Learn something or at least have the balls to say you don't give a damn.

November 5, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  19. ren

she's highly over paid, and over rated, taking roles that cast her as a blond bot bit of fluff, not a great actress so: GOOD FOR PETA ,PETA is huge with many celebs she'll only help her career to support animal rights!!!..........

November 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Slugs

I just lost respect for Reese. She doesn't have enough guts to stand up to an animal rights terrorist organization.

November 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Michael

I love her. I think she is cute as a button. If I wasn't married and old enough to be her grand daddy I would sure go after her,

November 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. L

Good for her!

November 4, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tuffy

Ive always been impressed by Reese.. Shes a terrific actress.. I was whooped on her when Walk The Line come out. I would love to one day to personally meet her an also to get her autograph.. if thats possible.. can anyone assist me in this venture??? PLEASE!!

olecountryboy60@yahoo.com

334-276-0365

November 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Muffy

Tuffy, tuffy, tuffy. Leaving personal info on the web. Not a good idea, dink.

November 4, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Muffy

My guess is that the information is either fake or he left some poor sap's number so you can flood his voicemail with random crap.

November 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Laura

OMG! PETA killed innocent flowers to send to Reese!

November 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. The Rick

Maybe PETA should have a big cup of stfu, and let people alone. to me PETA means people eating tasty animals, cows and chickens are my favorites!

November 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lee

Wow! What an original and intelligent response! You may not be quick enough to tune into my sarcasm, so let me explain – I think Reese reacted like a wise and compassionate person. When she learned the truth about the animal torture inherent in the exotic skins industry, she changed her ways... She should be applauded for leading such a positive example.

November 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • wildlife biologist

Lee = City living animal rights wackjob

November 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. The Måd Råp3r

Damn, check out those python bags!

November 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |