November 4th, 2011
12:08 PM ET
It's been a rough week for weddings.
With all of the Kardashian klamor over her divorce - and whether she was paid to have the ceremony; the cost of all of those "fairy tale" accoutrements; and whether E! will continue to play her wedding special over and over even though we all know how that four-hour ode to narcissism ends - we fear we've grown cynical about dear old weddings.
So to revive the love that may have been lost after watching this bridal brouhaha unfold over the past week, we're going to recall happier times with our top five wedding scenes. They don't all take place in front of an altar, but they do all have a wedding theme. Someone throw us a bouquet!
1. "The Godfather" - Francis Ford Coppola set the stage for his 1972 classic with Don Corleone handling business in his study, juxtaposed with the boisterous wedding scene of his daughter's big day.
2. "Father of the Bride" - This scene from the 1991 remake starring Diane Keaton and Steve Martin as the father of bride-to-be Annie (Kimberly Williams-Paisley) is, by rule, included whenever anyone anywhere talks about weddings on film.
3. "The Graduate" - Two words: "Elaine! Elaaaaaaaaine!"
4. "The Princess Bride" - "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what brings us together today....Mawwiage, that dweam within a dweam....treasure your wuv."
5. "Wedding Crashers" - Not a ceremony per se, but we do get to relish perhaps the most hilarious wedding receptions ever. Someone needs to throw one of these, so we can attend.
We couldn't include all of the memorable wedding moments that movies have offered, so let us know your personal top five in the comments!
From around the web
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.