November 3rd, 2011

Same sex marriage advocacy and Kim K's divorce

As the latest star to hop out of a marriage fast enough to cause whiplash (or at least to make some lose their bets), Kim K. is also now the poster child for gay marriage.

A number of famous names tweeted after Kardashian filed for divorce Monday that the value of marriage is being lessened not by same-sex unions, but by heterosexuals.

George Takei tweeted (and please catch the sarcasm), "Kim Kardashian files for divorce after 72 days. Another example of how same-sex marriage is destroying the sanctity of the very institution." Kathy Griffin followed suit, saying, "Ugh! gay couples like Kim K & Kris H ruining the sanctity of marriage is the problem w the radical homosexual agend- oh wait..."

Perez Hilton chimed in, “I love @KimKardashian, but as a gay man in America who is treated as a second class citizen when it comes to civil marriage, I am offended!...Straight people do a damn well good job themselves of ruining the sanctity of marriage!"

And even "Jersey Shore" star Jenni "JWoww" Farley weighed in: "My best friend joey and his man have been together 6 years and can't get married but... Well u know where I'm going with this..."

Indeed, we do: The same place that Washington Post opinion writer Jonathan Capehart went, who wrote on Monday: "The Kardashian-Humphries split makes a mockery...of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act. Blocking gay men and lesbians who want to join the revered institution of marriage so that the Kardashians of the world can cheapen it further is shortsighted, unjust and wrong."

But, an opinion piece in the Los Angeles Times sees things differently.

"This argument doesn't wash and does no good to advance the cause," writer Karin Klein says of using Kardashian as an example of where heterosexuals diminish marital vows. "Opponents will simply say that both quick divorces and same-sex weddings cheapen the institution...The reason to support same-sex marriage isn't about whether such couples will form better households or stay together longer. It's that marriage is a basic civil right."

Meanwhile, the reality TV star herself has pulled out of her scheduled appearances in Australia to come back to L.A. to be with family and friends, E! reports. In an interview with an Australian outlet, her first since the news broke that she was divorcing Kris, Kim again refuted claims that she got married for money.

"I don't think I'm ready to get into the details of [the divorce], I think what upsets me most is that there have been from the start so many rumors of money and dollar signs...and so much of it not being true. But it's kind of what you get from living your life so publicly on a reality show, I get that. But I think that also teaches me that I kind of want to stand back a little bit."

And by the way: She had the massive wedding on TV because of you. "I think when you live your life so publicly on a show, people want it, they want to see it. If I hadn't've filmed my wedding, that would've been upsetting to the viewer that's gone through this life journey with me. That was a tough decision that we decided to film it."

The divorce, she adds, was a "tough decision...but I had to follow my heart."

Filed under: Celebrities • Kardashians

1. marriage poems

Fantastic points altogether, you just received a new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your submit that you simply made a few days in the past? Any positive?

April 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Trazey34

Excellent point – she's free to cash in on a scam marriage, but God forbid 2 gay people really in love be allowed to marry – because THAT would tarnish marriage! Give me a break!! My only hope is that the cameras turn OFF eventually on the entire narcissistic money-grubbing clan, and they shrivel up and crawl back to the hole they came out of

November 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rock

dearest Kim – shut up
    thanks

November 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SixDegrees

"I had to follow my heart."

Why would you follow a small, black, shriveled thing?

November 7, 2011 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. nene

Kim is going to star in a new movie called "The marriage counselor" directed by Tyler Perry. Please go to his website and let him that you will boycott the movie if Kim Trashian is in it!!! Here's the link we can do this together

November 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. halina

I love Kim K!!!!

November 6, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lanfear

I really hope this is the end of her. Anyone who believes her is a fool. "I donated....money....to" at least say HOW MUCH she donated to charity. She's probably already sold the gifts for $$$$$.

And Khloe REALLY needs to hit the gym. The only reason she is tagging along in Kims interviews is so she can be like "oh, remember me? I got married within a month of knowing someone. So clearly this was real too!"

November 5, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. Charlotte Crist

They were paid to get engaged, paid to get married and I'll bet the farm, paid to divorce! Wait...there are no more farms anymore, just like the marriage!

November 5, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Henry

so a whopping 4 million idiots watched this idiot on tv get married and thats out of 256 million americans so 4 million amounts to what 0.01% of the nation? I rather watch youtube videos then try to give this snob money. Wake up people!

November 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GaryP

Why do people watch/listen to these f'n narcissists? What is the GD appeal? What the hell is the matter with you? Bad enough some tool gave them a television show but you watched it?! Why?! If you quit watching they will go away. In the immortal words of Jack Nicholson's "Joker", "This town needs an enema!"

November 4, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GaryP

I blame the 4 million+ idiots who watched the freaking wedding! 4 million! Are you kidding me?! Please..for God's sake Kim will you and your family just shut the f up and go away! And take the "cast" of Jersey Shore, Housewives of wherever with you.

November 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. G

Sounds to me like this was just yet another stunt by the Kardashian clan to get a few dollars. Such an insult to the meaning of marriage and those that cherish it so deeply. I thought it was interesting that she gave her sister a hard time for "living in sin" with Scott and then she goes and pulls a stunt like this. If she's not the pot calling the kettle black...I don't know who is! Kim...it's time to take some time for yourself and realize that life is short and you are filling your life with the 7 deadly sins. Be careful Kim because everything that we do down here...gets judged one day. You can't take your beauty or your dollars with you. True love is what you need but my advice is don't do it on another reality show and maybe a low key wedding next time. I truly wish you happiness but don't think that money will ever make you happy...because it only makes things more complicated.

November 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

Calling what Kim Kardashian did "marriage" is foolish. What she and Chris did was a for-profit scam, from which they earned (after expenses) about $18 Million. It was a production to increase viewer share and advert revenues, which it did. Calling it a marriage is absurd.

November 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sniffit

Vapid tramp. LOL.

Seriously...the onlyk people more vapid than she and her family are the people who pay any attention to them.

November 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anonymous

Gay or straight union, who the heck wants to get married nowadays?! Nothing but whining and moaning, till you pray to the gods above to take you away from the "joy" that is marriage. Phish..better to be single.

November 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. m0use2

Excuse me but shouldn't you follow your heart BEFORE you get married?

November 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. LJ

Did Ms Kim really think she would escape without all the negative comments? Controversy and drama is BANK for the whole family. Frankly it is sad that Chris was dragged in...unless a "deal" was made prior, which wouldn't suprise any of us...right?
    Personally I don't care who she marries or for how long.

November 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. shalb

please make her go away... and her brother Khloe too

November 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Saddam Hussein

Hey...Saddam here...I hope they make a divorce episode...we only get to watch Keeping up with the Kartrashians down here.Thanks!...ps...send some popcorn...we are running low...Peace out homies!

November 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dnz

showbizz and money.she is ermenian if she wants to do something good for her ensesters she must stop.

November 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jan

chewbaca is here!

November 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Marshal

I like it how the junior and senior imbeciles keep saying "I didn't get paid multimillion dollars" and how they keep saying "some amount of money" instead of an actual figure. You know they are lying.

November 4, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  23. comeon

"I think what upsets me most is that there have been from the start so many rumors of money and dollar signs...and so much of it not being true.... That was a tough decision that we decided to film it." If it wasn't about the $, then why didn't let them film it for free, give your photos for free, parties, cakes, dresses, bridal showers, etc... The tough decision was how much $ to ask for and whether or not to sell the honeymoon videos... oh wait, you cut your honeymoon short to make more $. Yeah, you married for love.

November 4, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  24. not a fan...ANYMORE-

She is full of it. Her career is based on profiting from her real life events. She shammed everyone; even Kris Humphries. She is a self centered, greedy, narrow minded, poor little rich girl. NO SYMPATHY!

I hope she crawls under a rock for a while!

November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  25. Battered Woman, Bruce Jenner

I am silent on this matter because my wife locks me in the garage with my remote control airplanes.

November 4, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Herman Cain

Hey Bruce...can you hook a brother up? I want to introduce Kim to the real meaning of Plan 999? Sincerely, HC..PS...I'll even through in some cheesy sticks from Papa Johns too...

November 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Annabeth

Kim Kardashian - What a Joke!

November 4, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  27. Madtown

"tough decision...but I had to follow my heart."
    ----–
    Wrong. She followed the money, and the E! Network contract. This is how they planned it all out. Maximum publicity.

November 4, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  28. SUE

KHLOE LOOKS DISGUSTING IN THE LIPSTICK AND SHE NEEDS TO GET HER ROOTS DONE..YUCK.

November 4, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  29. Bella

THANKS KIM K.
    Proves a point so loud and so clear no one can ignore it.

What a joke it is when people say gay people would "ruin" marriage.

November 4, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  30. artie

Don't get it, what's the point here? Are Kim K and Chris H gay? Maybe Kim and Ellen G should hookup-and do a video while you're at it. Won't sell more than 3.

November 3, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Peace

@ Liz. Loved the comment about taping the divorce for her loyal fans! LOL

November 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Liz

So does this mean she is going to tape her divorce for all her loyal fans? I mean her fans are going through the journey with her. We will see if her above statemnt holds true as time goes by. I'm sooo sick of the Kardashians and all crap reality televison. Bring back the days when actors, writers, and directors had televison shows to work on. It's sad that I hear more about Kim Kardashians life then I do about a child needing a kidney!

November 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madtown

Amen Liz. This country is upside down.

November 4, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Ya ya now MORE MONEY.. CAUSE she can air her thots on marriage, divorce blah blah. AND more money in taping the divorce... Way to go KK...

November 5, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  33. Pete

So, some people doesnt think that this makes marriage a mockery, when there are people the world over, including here in Australia, that are being denied the choice. Its not that every gay man and lesbian wants to get married, although if someone offered me $18M, I would do it. the fact of the matter is that we are unable to make the choice, and thats where it becomes and issue of human rights.

November 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slugslingers

If you were intended to be married to a man, then there would have been some form of procreation that evolved. By the theory of evolution, if you are not procreating or attempting to, then you are a failure similiar to a birth defect.

November 4, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trixibelle

There are 7 billion people on this rock. I think a few childless marriages are just what we need.

November 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Ed Sr of Dallas Tx

Kim is a les? She does have the face of an angel and the body of a man....it figures.

November 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  35. loJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=823i8J0eKK4&w=640&h=390]

November 3, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. steph.ie

who cares if the viewer would have been upset...its your wedding. that just shows shes not thinking of what she and her hubby want. And this whole idea about being in the spotlight and pressured to do this or that...boohoo..you chose it. you put yourself out there....DEAL with it.

November 3, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Exec Producer

FIRSTY ! YES ! THE IMPORTANT EXECUTIVE MOVIE PRODUCER IS FIRST ! I RUUUUUUULE !

November 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Michael in seattle

Kris can come live with me

November 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  39. autumn

Sorry kK, we don't believe a word you say!

November 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • tye

Lol! I agree! She's so selfish, i hope she dies lonley and sad... :) and Kris finds a special love like Nick lachey and J.T did.. :)

November 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

"tough decision...but I had to follow my heart." What heart? You mean the greenbacks decorated with dead presidents?

November 3, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • ikk11

If it isn't about the millions she cashed in, then she should give the money away to charity....

November 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

is she trying to convince herself or the public, MAY BE she can convince herself but not us.. She is TRULLY GREEDY...

November 5, 2011 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  40. Cali Girl

I actually had to think a second about your post....then I laughed! Good one.

November 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |