Jessica Biel: I wish I'd landed 'Notebook' role
November 3rd, 2011

Jessica Biel: I wish I'd landed 'Notebook' role

As with love, life as an actor means always having that one that got away. And for Jessica Biel, it sounds like it was the lead role of Allie from "The Notebook," which ended up going to Rachel McAdams.

Ryan Gosling, memorably, played her paramour from the wrong side of town, Noah.

Biel, 29, tells Elle magazine in its December issue, "'The Notebook'...That's one I wanted so badly. I was in the middle of shooting 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre,' and I auditioned with Ryan Gosling in my trailer - covered in blood."

Needless to say, that probably wasn't the best way to make an impression on director Nick Cassavetes, who "put me through the ringer in an interesting, excitingly creative way," Biel recalls.

"But," she continues, "there's a million that get away. We're gluttons for punishment. It's just rejection."

If the rejection ever got too rough, Biel says she's not opposed to dropping out of acting altogether to pursue other interests.

"I'd love to write," she tells Elle. "I wrote a lot of short stories and poetry when I was a kid. That was my creative outlet. I've written a short film, and I've written poetry."

Whether Justin Timberlake, her ex-boyfriend and potentially still her current flame, is the subject of any of these musings, Biel doesn't say. She won't even confirm what's going on between them.

"A girl doesn't kiss and tell," Biel tells Elle. As for how she ended up dating a fellow star, she says, "I think those people are the people you meet and so it just kind of happens. Let me tell you: It never happens on purpose."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. I read the notebook...too sappy...

April 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gregory Zema

Adapted to screen from the Nicholas Sparks novel of the same name, The Notebook is one of the best romantic dramas to hit the big screen in decades. Garnering high marks from a wide-range of critics, The Notebook is a funny and emotional film which deals with love, relationships, and the risks people take. James Garner turns in a notable performance as the elder man, Duke, who reads the pages of his notebook to dying nursing home resident Allie (Gena Rowlands). Overall, this is a classic “chick flick” with a dramatic twist. Set in the World War II era, The Notebook is a great film…-

Make sure you visit our internet page as well
    <="http://www.caramoan.ph/caramoan-lahus-island/

April 14, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. snicker pants with a bad smell in them

Jessica would not have come close to what Rachel pulled off in terms of having a fantastic performance. Rachel played that role so thoroughly perfect and beautifully convincing that I had fits of laughter and periods of tears during my tenure watching the film. Rachel was just perfect for that role and there is no way that Jessica could have played that role anywhere near the quality that Rachel managed to produce.

November 5, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobby

boo hoo play your violin it will make u feel better

November 5, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Miss Jess

the Notebook is overrated #justsayin

November 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lady a

Jessica is beautiful but I always thought she liked woman. Jessica isn't a great actress. Can't think of one good movie that she made. Sorry Jessica your claim to fame is Justin

November 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. zxzxillie

Jessica .........yummy!

November 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. xhris

Jessica probably did not get tthe role because she really isn't a good actress. She was OK on 7th heaven, but the Notebook required major skill, and unfortunately Biel doesn't have them.

November 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tom

Oh Jessica,

If only I had sold Google at 980.
    I loved the movie, and loved the casting. All were great choices and perfect for the time it was set in.
    If this one did not work – find one that does. Good luck.
    Don't live in the past – but take the experiences. All things for a reason, n'est pas?

November 4, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Annabeth

Nah. The movie was perfectly cast.

November 4, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sarah

She would have absolutely ruined the movie. She honestly isn't a very good actress and she especially would've flopped as a southern socialite in the 1940s or whatever year that was meant to be in the movie. You don't have to personally know Biel as a person to know that she can't act, that has nothing to do with knowing her personally. If she can't act, she can't act. Whenever someone goes on about a celebrity's personal life people don't want to believe it, but when you're actually commenting on what they're known for and it's their profession, they still don't want to hear the truth. Well, the truth is, I'm extremely happy that she didn't get that role because The Notebook doesn't get the credit as a good film as it does now, and if she would've been in it, its rating on Rotten Tomatoes would've soared.

November 4, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. K-Man

I love Rachel McAdams as the part!!! Her and Ryan Gosling had perfect chemistry!!!!! If Jessica Biel had gotten the part, I wouldn't have watched. No offense but she should just stick to crappy roles...they are much more suited for her

November 4, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

To write about people you don't even know clearly shows a desperate need for social acceptance. Honestly, you're making comments about people you don't even know and this is okay behavior? See the problem? Not good. Clearly shows why you don't know these people. You're better off throwing those comments to your love ones or maybe a friend. And Nicolas Sparks is an average writer who caters to readers looking for social acceptance.

November 4, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • mike made a mess in his pants and it has a terrible stench to it

Mike, your breath has a certain quality to it, I want to say that it reeks of dung. Cow dung to be more precise. You know that horrific odor that dung has to it, well Mike's breath has such a stench associated with it that paint peels right off of walls if he gets to close to a wall and exhales upon it. He has also been known to actually murder poor little flowers that wilt and die after Mike yawns in the vicinity of a flower bed.

November 5, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. GT

OMGeez, I really thought she was Prego!!! Hahahaha. Mack her tortellinis? Not Wontons?? Oh yeah, she got that Pasta Salad lol I doo it lol. Yeah the D'Wreck thing iz gross no offense to my Jankees outthur, idunk. He does the Becky thang andd soo... Ihate ne way, ne Way, The Notebook really? And Powda Blue! Well, honestly I had to turn it off and drop my neck/ squze me, netflicks membership- Borrrrr- Ing lmfatao, more the Summer Catch 711 type fan Yah Meen! +"). Annd Chuck n Larry no lawyers tho. Umm, what else has lil Elsie done? Iforgot, it's been rockin', now there's a nu Bond Chica so she may be out of another one! lmfrescaao, Oh, tha poker face, well, did she want to be in Quantum Leap too?? WHooP! Let me Guess, Highlander!!!, well JT does it Clearly, riiiight smokin' rollers; Here's to Jess being a killa Mrs. Claus this hollaween, sssorry, X-Mas, cuz I'ma Ho, Iknow this. Sorta like the tart from LA Law, No Dallas Plz B. Ya didn't miss tha boat if yur on it lolol... eets ma #### in this box! lol Get some fans Jess LMFlyAO, and a JOB if all ya wanna do is strip +") It's green by the way =+ – A Phat Jeli Herb

November 3, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Peace

I agree w/savitri, that movie is a tear jerker, but, a really good movie!

November 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. beanDip

I'd like to mack on her tortellinis all the same. Mmmmm

November 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. qwert

I'm sure you wish you had actual talent, too, Jess. Just be thankful you've got a smokin' hot body that got you where you are to begin with. : P

November 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. g

Nothing bad to say about Rachel but i wish Jessica got the role too.. she's an absolutely hauntingly beautiful woman and a terrific actress :) If Jessica is in a movie it's a must watch to me!

November 3, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. YOUR MOM

Rachel McAdams was PERFECT for that role. Jessica Biel wouldn't of made a good Ali. Sorry... #TRUTH

November 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • kari

i am with you 110% jessica doesn't have the look of an young lady way back then. i love rachel she can play any role

November 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandy

I agree with you 100%, I like Jessica Biel but Rachel McAdams was perfect in this movie.

November 4, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  20. savitri

Nicolas Sparks! My favorite author. "The Notebook" is one of his best and the movie is evev better – a tear-jerker.

November 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sad Pants

"Derrick Jeter"... too funny.

November 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |