Jennifer Lawrence: 'Hunger Games' isn't 'Twilight'
November 3rd, 2011

Jennifer Lawrence: 'Hunger Games' isn't 'Twilight'

While that may seem like a Captain Obvious statement, hear Jennifer Lawrence out.

The 21-year-old actress, who stars as heroine Katniss Everdeen in "The Hunger Games," was responding to a question from Vanity Fair that asked whether she's thought about the implications of starring in a movie that has the potential to become as successful as "Twilight."

To which Lawrence said that she's been trying "not to think too much about it."

She continued, "'Hunger Games' is not 'Twilight,' and while I hear the comparisons, it's really premature to say it'll be the same phenomenon. I'm so proud of the work we did on the film - [director] Gary [Ross] and the entire cast and the crew were amazing, and I can't wait for it to be brought to life because I think it's an important story. If it does become a crazy phenomenon, I'll soak up my freedom now!"

Whether it becomes a runaway success or not, Lawrence promises that the film franchise will "absolutely" live up to the books.

"I had read the books before I even knew I would be auditioning for the movie, and was a huge fan of the material," she says. "Katniss is an incredible character: she's a hunter but not a killer, a 16-year-old who's being forced into the arena. The kids are killing one another only because if they don't, they'll die."

But in all honesty, are we wrong in thinking there's really no way the "Hunger Games" series WON'T become an irrepressible franchise? We suppose we'll find out when "The Hunger Games" opens on March 23, 2012.

Filed under: movies

1. Briareos

The Hunger Games is definitely NOT Twilight! It's Battle Royale!!!

February 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Otter

Its The Lottery, with a little Lord of the Flies mixed in.
    Stephen king already did it(Marathon Man) but he is more a world builder.
    Collins is a character builder and that's the strength of this book. Its the characters she creates.

February 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Red Pison

Hunger Games isn't Twilight. It's Running Man and Battle Royale for sissies.

February 16, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tek

So you have not read the books.

Twilight is about a bunch of whiny babies. Hunger games is about a bunch of children thrown into a death pit.
      No comparison. Yeah I have read both series.

February 21, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. avidreader

I think part of the reason why people have taken offence at the comparison between the Twilight series and the Hunger Games series relates to the focus of the message. Twilight relates to the mentality of most teenagers – their world is centered on them and how they are feeling and what their struggles are. The Hunger Games puts teenagers in situations that most adults wouldn't know how to cope with. Dytopian themes urge people to look at larger issues and hopefully think a little more about their daily life. The main characters make huge sacrifices for causes they believe in. Is the Hunger Games going to end up in a classics section and be studied in schools across America? Possibly – because it is a gateway to those larger themes and problems that our society may one day face. There needs to be an entry point for people and I think that Suzanne Collins has gotten a lot of people thinking about things other than themselves and I commend her for that.

As for the movie – I am nervous for how it will be crafted. But we can only wait and see.

February 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BJ

The books really weren't that good. The writing was quite bad. I hope the movies are much better. Twilight....smh. That is even worse. Lol.

February 13, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. jj

Hope they will make movies out of all the Hunger Games books. One is not enough – they need to finish the series. Like the Hunger Games books better than Twilight.

February 7, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Superhiro

Battle Royale ripoff. Come up with some new ideas Hollywood.

February 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kim

Um, considering the author of the book, who wrote the description for Katniss, loves Jennifer Lawrence playing the role and has said that she is just what she imagined, I don't think we should be complaining that Jennifer Lawrence doesn't fit our own ideas of what Katniss should look like.

November 7, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Denise

Does this trashy drunk make money from this video ?

November 6, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Deena

who in the hell is this trashy person and what is she talking abouy?

November 6, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mastodonrocks

Just stick to "The Hunger", "Interview with a Vampire", and "Bram Stokers Dracula" and you should be ok. Absolutely no need for these "tweeny bop" wanna be vampire films.

November 6, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chris

I loved the books, but I am hesitant to see the movies because they have been rated pg-13..I think they are going to tone down the violence and mature themes that made the books as great as they were. This looks like a dvd rental at best.

November 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lizzy10

I just finished the Hunger Games and can't wait to start the next book.

November 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DFW

Couldn't have said it better myself. Cheers.

November 6, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DFW

I read the first HG book with anticipation based on all the shameless gushing about it. I came away with.... boring. I honestly almost threw the book against the wall if it didn't get a move on and get to the actual games. When I got to the games they were.... well.... boring. This is "The Running Man" written by a girl. I had no urge to go to book 2. Girl gets to the woods, almost gets burned, heals, etc. I have NO clue what people saw in this when there are so many other books better than this. Was it the hype machine? How? How did this happen?

November 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean

I am sorry for you. I am 52 years old, well-educated and well-read. I have read all three books (ahead of my daughter reading them) and thought they were quite good. The layering of themes was very well done, along with good writing that kept me interested but isn't too advanced for my 13-year old. If you were bored I'm afraid you belong to the crowd who need a lot more exposure to literary themes, as well as how books aren't about just the plot summary on the back cover.

November 6, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I love how Jean's reaction to your honest critique of the series resulted in her stating that you have not been exposed to literary themes and complex novels; essentially intimating a lack of intelligence on your part. I, however, understood your critique to mean that you are more accustomed to books that have more complex themes. As the series is geared for young teen girls, I can understand your disappointment in finding the series lacking. It is sad that a 52 year-old parent resorted to insulting your intellect simply because you were not a fan of a teen book series.

November 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maty

Actually Tom, I took DFW's 'critique' as a statement about the dearth of action in the 'Hunger' books, and as a complaint about the prominence and exploration of the characters relationships and emotions, not a plea for more complex themes. Your attempt at being 'anti-elitist' fails, where Jean was simply insisting that a reader familiarize himself with some of the classics themes in literature that are the structure of many of today's novels, including 'Hunger Games'- Shakespeare, Conrad, Bronte, Greek mythology. You fail a second time when you turn around and insult the intelligence of anyone who'd read or defend a 'teen book series'.

November 6, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • BJ

DFW: I agree. I read the books because my friend kept raving about it. I really didn't care too much for the series, but moreso as a writer. I felt the main character was all over the place. Then ending made no sense whatsoever and while the idea was good I just think the series was poorly executed. I think the HG was average and I don't get all of the hype, but that's just my opinion. The movie may be okay. At least the cast looks pretty good.

I will say, I am a huge fan of The Hunger but mainly about Death Game parody. Lol. A lot of it's content reflected my thoughts.

February 13, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Red Pison

Because people are satisfied with mediocrity just as long as it's simple to understand. They can't wrap their brains around complex storylines anymore hence why crap like Twilight and Transformers are popular.

February 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. kernel thai

First it is huge disservice to compare this Twilight whether u like Twilight or not. Only the fans can decide whether this movie series will be huge box office success. These silly predictions only lead to hype which prolly hurts the movie in the long run.
    Second, the thing that was lost with the casting of Jennifer Lawrence isnt that she isnt olive skinned. A lot was lost when they failed to chose a teen to play this role. Katniss is a young girl who displays amazing courage and I feel an age appropriate actress would have gotten that point across. The movie is the story of a teen hero as played by an excellent 21 yo actress.

November 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. T3chsupport

I'm still on the fence for Katniss's casting, but I think they nailed Peeta right on the head. The books are incredible. I'm afraid for the movie!

November 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Spiffy

I really hope that the "Hunger Games" does not become the next "Twilight". As a 17 year old male I very much enjoyed reading the books. If it were to turn into the feminine phenomena that is "Twilight" I can't see myself going to the movies.

I also read the "Twilight" series (absolutely horrible writing) and cannot see "Hunger Games" becoming at all like it. What I could see though is a cultural element of "Twilight" transfering over to "Hunger Games". They are two different books, one well written, and the other not. The only way "Hunger Games" becomes "Twilight" is if the media turns it into it.

November 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. GDC

Love the books!!! Although Movies never turn out as good as the books, i am still looking forward to getting a good visual of the story.

November 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Bookenz

I just finished the books and was enthralled – can't wait for the movies.

November 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  21. peacsktr

IDK WERE MOST OF YOU ARE GETTING THAT KATNISS WAS OF COLOR BECAUSE IN ALL THE BOOKS SHES DESCRIBED AS WHITE THIS IS RIDICULOUS THAT PEOPLE DONT GET DISCRIPTIONS THE ONLY CHARACTERS OF COLOR ARE RUE AND THRESH AND CINNA. BUT THATS BESIDES THE POINT I AM DIEING FOR THE MOVIE I LOVE ALL THE ACTORS AND I WILL BE THERE MIDNIGHT PREMIRE ON TE 22ND I LOVE ALL THE ACTORS THEY CHOSSE THE ONLY ONE I DIDNT IMAGINE WITH CINNA BUT ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
    GO HUNGER GAMES

November 4, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. Niki

I have read all three books... and thought they were amazing. I have seen Jennifer Lawrence in "Winter's Bone" and thought she was an outstanding actress. She may not look exactly how everyone pictured Katniss (including myself), who cares... I think she will do wonderful in this role. I would rather have a great movie with top notch acting, then a movie filled with the most popular actors who can't really act.

November 4, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • angelia

The problem is, Niki, none of the actors who would fit Katniss's descriptions could be called "the most popular actors" because non-white actors don't get a chance to be in anything. There are many excellent actresses of color who would be great fits for Katniss, but the casting director only considered white girls. That isn't really fair.

November 4, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Maty

District 12, where Katniss and Peeta hail from in the story, is supposed to be in the West Virginia or Kentucky area. She's described as basically having dark features- but I think a director and producer have as much right to license as a writer does when interpreting the written word to film, especially in "Hunger", where race was not the point.

November 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mike

Here we go. Another excuse to make a color/nationality complaint. Does the color the lead actress' skin really matter? Jennifer Lawrence is amazing. Am I the only one who saw Winter's Bone? I've never read the books but the whole concept seems interesting enough. Plus both Lawrence and Josh Hutchinson are from my state of Kentucky so I have to dedicate support them. As for the comment that HG is the most overhyped movie of the decade, I gotta say that that is way off since that honor belongs solely to The Social Network. "A modern day Citizen Kane"? Puh-leeze.

November 4, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • angelia

Mike, Google "racebending" and educate yourself. Jennifer Lawrence may be a good actress, I'm not denying that, but she does not fit the description of Katniss given in the books. Period. End of story.

November 4, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  24. michaelfury

November 4, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  25. Richard

Nominated as the MOST over-hyped movie of the DECADE.

November 4, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  26. GIJeff

Second.. I'm a soldier in the United States Army. I went to Iraq. Let me rephrase, I VOLUNTEERED to not only join the Army, but also to go to Iraq. So, how does forcing a bunch of kids to kill each other relate? All-volunteer Army. I'm also probably more educated than most of It cracks me up how offended people get at the comparison to Twilight.. "Star Wars is better." "No, Star Trek is better!" LoL. Any vampire/werewolf movie made in decades to come will be compared to Twilight. Get over it.

Second.. I'm a soldier in the United States Army. I went to Iraq. Let me rephrase, I VOLUNTEERED to not only join the Army, but also to go to Iraq. So, how does forcing a bunch of kids to kill each other relate? All-volunteer Army. I'm also probably more educated than most of you with my Master's, sorry if that ruins one of the most common attacks you'll have towards me for joining the military. with my Master's, sorry if that ruins one of the most common attacks you'll have towards me for joining the military.

November 4, 2011 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
    • GIJeff

Stupid phone. Guess that ruins my comment about my education huh? Haha

November 4, 2011 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
    • ClaudiC

I don't see a lot of soldiers in my neck of the woods, but thank you for serving.

The books are about a totalitarian government who forces the citizens to participate in the games to terrorize and remind the people who is really in charge. The books also rip on how when a society degenerates it seeks more and more intense excitement, even to the point where people (in this case young kids and teenagers) are getting killed for entertainment purposes. There are also parallels to the 'Panem et Circenses' (sorry if I misspelled that) of Roman society.

November 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blibz

"Any vampire/werewolf movie made in decades to come will be compared to Twilight. Get over it."

Hunger Games has neither vampires nor werewolves, so why should it be compared to twilight?

November 7, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
    • apoc3

Nice try GIJeff... next time do your research and don't look like an idiot.

November 7, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  27. Elizabeth

You people should stop worring about who the actors are or what kind of political crap it's about just focus on how the movie is and if it's any good compared to the book.

November 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Buck

I don't know about this whole Hunger Games thing. Twilight as retarded as it was didn't go into all the political crap that this tries to do. Kids killing kids in a hunt to the death is supposed to be somehow kool? It's sad that this is what has to pass as a blockbuster franchise nowadays. If you want to see kids dying, go to Darfur or part of Africa, or maybe the gangs in Brazil where teens carry guns and shoot to kill other kids. Yeh, let's make Hollywood some money.

November 3, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck1

Buck, you need to chill out.

November 3, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vivian Volkoff

The whole series is like a parody of real life. We're sending kids out into the world to kill each other and the government is getting their kicks that way. Iraq? Afghanistan? Iran? Anybody? Bueller? Entertainment can educate as well as entertain and if The Hunger Games teaches just one child that violence isn't the answer, that war is bloody and needless, then I'd say that is a movie worthy of making money.

November 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aubrey

First of all, the whole point of the series was not that kids killing each other was cool. The Hunger Games was a book series before it was a movie. If you want to 'blame' someone, don't be blaming Hollywood.

The books are centered around the fact that the Games are cruel, and I'd say you haven't read them from the way you're talking. The rebellion to overthrow the Capitol, which Katniss unwillingly becomes the Mockingjay, their symbol, in.

Colllins was not trying to be 'cool' when she wrote this. She was stating a fact, regardless of how she did it. The United States, heck everyone, sends men, boys really, barely nineteen or twenty, and throws them into wars like Iraq and Afganistan. It supposed to say that war is cruel and that you lose people.

It's supposed to teach kids that violence isn't the answer, that it only makes things worse. Especially keeping your people trodden down by selecting 2 kids randomly to fight to the death and making everyone watch. It was their way of saying they had complete authority over the Disticts, that they ruled them completely. You do not seem to get that, so please stop making ignorant comments on a board that is talking about how this isn't going to be another Twilgiht (which I'm incredibly grateful for. Twilight by itself is horribly bad anyway without comparing phenomenally better series to it).

November 3, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tristan

There is much more to it than that... Read the books before judging it...

February 6, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

love it

February 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Joka

Sounds like someone ripped off Battle Royale 1 & 2

November 3, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aubrey

Actually, I have seen many, many parallels between the Hunger Games and Shakespeare's 'Julius Caesar', of all things. Go back and read the Hunger Games trilogy, then read Julius Caesar and see the similarities. While I cannot deny that there is definitely a Battle Royale kind of theme going on with the books, this kind of theme has actually been around for a while. It has elements of the TV Show 'Survivor' and The short science fiction story Survivor, by Walter F. Moudy. And don't forget the gladiator games of ancient Rome, which is where all 'fight to the death with an audience' stories originate from anyway.

November 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pattymouth

It is a LOT like Battle Royale. One of the main differences is that in BR, most of the kids don't seem to really like or care about one another enough to have a problem with going right to the slaughter – even though they had all been classmates. In HG, there are many kind and sensitive kids who struggle with killing people because they spent time practicing and observing one another in the training classes after the 'selections' in their different districts. Personally, I couldn't stomach BR because of that difference.

November 4, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Joshuax

My first thought......

November 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ClaudiC

They're called ARCHETYPES, and the plot of every single story on the planet follows one or more of them, from ancient folk tales like the story of Gilgamesh to Harry Potter and yes, Battle Royale and The Hunger Games. Look it up.

November 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Krista

I don't like any of the three lead actors, so I won't be seeing the movie version. I still wish they would have cast a non-white actress for Katniss. I always had a mixed-race girl in mind for the role.

November 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck

It's simple. White teenage girls make a ton of money for movies. Minorities don't.

November 3, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • yada

Katniss is from the Appalachian area, which I always thought was mostly white, even if she's not fair in the books. I think she'll rock it. She's a good actress.

November 3, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ClaudiC

The books mention several times how people from the part of the district where Katniss lives, 'the Seam,' usually have an olive complexion and dark hair and eyes. That's how she could claim Gale was her cousin and people believed her. An olive complexion is generally associated with people of European descent.

November 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hunter

It says she has Olive skin and grey eyes. That is usually European. So no she should NOT be mixed. Prim is mixed and Cinna are mixed, not Katniss and Gale. I think she will rock it. I had my doubts at first no doubt but I'm confident in her,

November 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tristan

you imagined her as mixed colored yet it says in the book her sister has fair skin and light hair...

February 8, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • E

I love Jennifer Lawrence. She's a really good actor with a lot of potential to grow and this role will only sky rocket her career. You should see Winter's Bone, you'll change your mind about her playing Katniss. I'm only annoyed because the two main male leads are being played by Miley Cyrus's boyfriend and that Jounery to the Earth kid. BOOOOOO!!!! They look nothing like what the book described.

February 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. gresi

Well, I really really hope it won't be as mellow and gloomy and boring as twilight.

November 3, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

Clearly you haven't read a single chapter of any of the HUNGER books or you wouldn't have made such a ridiculous, uninformed comment.

November 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Look at the photo accompanying this article; that's Katnis, the protagonist of the Hunger Games story. Does that still featuring a bow-wielding warrior remind you at all of the pathetic, glowering victim-who-needs-protection Bella of the Twilight series?

November 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • gah

i love you john

November 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • apoc3

I think his comment is valid. Lets hope it won't be as mellow and gloomy and boring as twilight.

I thought the books were great (well... the first two...). I don't have a lot of faith in Hollywood though. They are more likely to try to copy the success of Twilight than to make an accurate translation of the books.

Hopefully I'm wrong though... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

November 7, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  32. Jami

I'm really starting to come around to her as the acress for Katniss. We can only wait and see how much the movies live up to the fabulous books!

November 3, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • 99%

Can’t wait either! I think the books were great. How did the war start in the USA? The 1% liberals and the 1% conservatives wanted more and the 1% liberals won (The Capital is west of the Rockies, LA LA land). To keep the 99% in check the Capital creates a reality show called the Hunger Games. I hope I don’t see a Google ad in the movie, I don’t need a company telling me what I need to buy because I only buy what I need.

November 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • apoc3

Uhhh... what in the world are you talking about 99%?

November 7, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mimi

I'm firsty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Puss in boots

People like you should not be allowed to own computers.

November 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

If you're going to post first, perhaps you should comment on the article

November 7, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • mini

Why not set your personal achievement bar a little higher by making a meaningful comment?

February 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |