What's the verdict on 'Glee' this season?
November 2nd, 2011

What's the verdict on 'Glee' this season?

"Glee" returned last night after a temporary baseball-induced hiatus, but the lower ratings may suggest that some of you didn't really care.

The episode, which featured "Glee Project" winner Damian McGinty as an Irish exchange student/leprechaun to Brittany, a defection from New Directions and a "wait, seriously?" kiss between Puck and his baby's adoptive mom Shelby, declined in viewership by 19 percent since its last original episode, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

We've mentioned previously that "Glee" seems to have lost its luster, and the critic reaction to last night's episode was mixed.

Rolling Stone called the epi, titled "Pot O' Gold, "stale and unfunny," with the plot lines feeling "odd and disjointed."

Billboard wasn't much kinder, remarking that "Glee" returned with more of a "plot-heavy whimper than a bang," and nearly everyone commented that the Quinn-as-baby-stealer idea is getting out of hand.

Not everyone was as unimpressed, however. Gawker found the season overall to be headed in an interesting direction, even if "Pot O' Gold" itself was sluggish.

So where does this leave us, Gleeks? Should we continue recapping this season with the lovely Lisa Respers France, or just hold on to our memories?

Filed under: Glee • television

« Previous entry
  1. nike deutschland

An absolute neighbor is actually people who overlooks ones own problems and therefore can handle ones own success.
    nike deutschland http://www.nikesneakerde.com/

November 21, 2012 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lily

I still love the fantasy world of Glee, for its drama and music... and it's inconsistent and unbelievable storylines... If I want a small piece of realism, I just watch Burt (Kurt Hummel's father) or switch TV channels... but I don't... Just love the mindless entertainment that is Glee...

@Evel Knievel.. agree with him that there should be more focus on Artie, the one in the wheelchair. But I guess Artie being one of the directors of the West Side Story performance, he would get more exposure in Episode 5... in which the West Side Story will be performed.

About episode 5 next week, Who cares about Kurt and Rachel losing their virginity... ? I don't and I am a big fan of them. I noticed how Finn and Artie were dissapointed after losing their virginity in Glee for different reasons, so I guess Kurt and Rachel losing theirs will also be far from perfect....

As for episode 5, I am more interested in the gay vilain and Karofsky... not because they are gay but because they are the vilain.... Talking about vilains... also also looking forward to Santana/Naya singing "America" from West Side Story ...yeah...

November 4, 2011 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. loJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

November 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chris

they've nuked the fridge!

November 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Observer

Glee=Liberal Garbage

November 3, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JB

The problem with Glee this season is that they are trying to put to much into a single episode. They aren't letting any tension or suspense build. They are just cramming everything they can into an episode. The writing has become so much worse this season. I have been a big Gleek from day one... but I cant watch it anymore.

November 3, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Reality Check

"The writing has become so much worse this season"? You call yourself a Gleek, but did you even watch season 2? Oh, you were one of those people who went from season 1 straight to season 3! Last season was way overproduced as far as the musical numbers...so many of them had nothing to do with the story, they were just there. The continuity was aweful as were the storylines! Take it from a REAL Gleek's perspective, this season is actually really good considering all the mistakes the writers have to correct from season 2!!

November 3, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carolyn

The writing is just bad...there should be more songs and they should develop a strong story line. More music, please.

November 3, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. jb2817

They should have more episodes about the warblers or is it the gobblers I keep forgetting

November 3, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Matt

Its only the 4th episode....they have a lot to set up for the rest of the season...give it a minute.

November 3, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. sogay

I can't beileve u ppl watch this garbage. Bfour u say don't read article don't I didn't come here to read it Iexpected funny coments.

November 2, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nancy

I have to admit that I didn't really like this episode. I miss Mercedes being there with everyone. I'm a huge fan of Klaine (mostly because of Kurt, he's my favorite character) but I feel like Santana had a point last night when she said it was going to become the "Blaine and Rachel Show". I like Rachel's voice but her having all the solos and then getting the lead for the musical when Mercedes was better has gotten really old, really fast. In Asian F we finally got to know Mike Chang but then they just completely forgot about him again in this episode. I don't know why but yesterday the choir room scenes made me sad, probably because Mercedes wasn't there being her fabulous sassy self lol. I miss the old Glee when they didn't care about stealing babies, Sue was just mean not rude or when there was only one Glee Club :(

And I miss the Warblers lol

November 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

You are aware, of course, that Rachel hasn't had a single solo this season (duets and parts in group numbers don't count)? I agree that in the past it has been ALL about Rachel, but I think they've done a good job so far this season of reducing the number of solos for her (and don't forget she is technically the main student character on the show). Also, "Last Friday Night" that Blaine sang last night was his first solo as part of the Glee club ("It's Not Unusual" was more like an audition for the club and "Something's Coming" was an audition for the musical), so Santana's comment about "the Blaine and Rachel" was unwarranted.

November 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

No... you need to listen to the Mercedes/Rachel audition again. Rachel totally outsang her, and then everybody started talking about how mercedes was better, as if they didn't even hear it... It wasn't even close.

November 3, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Eveline

@Tom,
      Nope, listened to the Mercedes/Rachel audition and it was a draw. Spineless directors can't tell Mercedes the truth so they offered her "separate but equal".

@Nancy, that party in the choir room did seem kind of forced, especially compared to Tina/Mercedes singing "Dog Days".

November 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. @Evel

Hope you are having a good week. Have a good night.

November 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Simone

Lower ratings...perhaps due to alienating undertones. The baby-stealing bit is beyond ridiculous. The student-teacher relationship is not something that should be glorified. The "self-diagnosed" Asperger's girl is beyond offensive and inappropriate. There's too many stereotypes that are negatively encouraged on the show, which is a shame because it has long been about disproving stereotypes. There is a major issue with the context of the writing. The writer are talented, but there is a clear lack of depth and knowledge. They need consultants for the show.

That said, it's better to downplay the Rachel Berry character. With her, much like the new background character "Sugar", there was too much by way of promoting very negative stereotypes. I'm glad that those have since died down. Show diversity in a positive light, not by highlighting the differences. The only ones that seem to be on the genuine side are the Santana and Artie characters.

Get consultants to work with the writers! Maybe then there wouldn't be such offensive portrayals of such misunderstood things like Asperger's Syndrome, or oversights such as comments about "smog checks" when the show theoretically takes place in a state that doesn't universally have smog checks. Get back to being a positive catalyst for a different perspective.

November 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. emily

I sure hope Charice is doing ok. Hopefully her family will be nice to her. It was a shame about her dad.

November 2, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. amazinglittleone

Lower rate because there's no more Sunshine. You got to bring back charice.

November 2, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConflictedGleek

No, no Sunshine, please. I was so happy when they announced she wouldn't be back! So relieved. Yep, the girl can sing, but her acting was abismal and they didn't really know what to do with her while she was on the show.
      Anyway, I think the ratings are faltering because of the long hiatus and the unimpressive writing. I was so hopeful for Glee this season! And getting disappointed by every episode!
      The Shelby storyline is beyond ridiculous. Why bring Idina Menzel for such a ludicrous plotline (Quinn wanting her baby back, starting another glee club, kissing with Puck...ARGH!).

November 2, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. artie

This tv show is gay–very gay.

November 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ladida

'Candyman' number was by far the best I've seen in a long, long time. Those girls rocked it and the set design and costumes were great. Reminded me of Season 1 when I fell in love with the singing/dancing and not the crazy drama with Rachel and Quinn and whoever else.

November 2, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Isabell

I only watch for Darren Criss, but he's only on once in a while and it's not worth it with the other awfulness going on.

November 2, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Rin

It's not that it went back to it's roots, it's actually pretty far from it's roots. In the beginning Glee was about singing and side drama wasn't overpowering. 2nd season became too much about guest stars and by that I mean Paltrow, seriously enough was enough. 2nd season brought back self obsessed Quinn and Mercedes. 3rd season has made Quinn, Mercedes, Santana and Sue just too much at one time, I get the fact it's a show and fictional but let's be honest, everytime this show gives an inch it darts a yard back. Quinn went from being happy to have friends to hating the world because she is convinced she'll be stuck in Lima with nothing... get a dream already, Mercedes went from being a diva who got upset when needed but ultimately listened to reason to a mariah carey style diva when all she was being told to do was the same as Puck and Finn and the rest, become a better dancer, she's a QUITTER always lookin for the easy route and hand outs, Sue was a great character now she's just tired and nasty i fast forward through her as she's not funny anymore, Will needs a swift kick to the butt because while Santana and Mercedes are full of themselves they have a point rachel shouldn't sing it all. I just pray they hold off on Kurt being jealous of not just Blaine but Rory because otherwise this show is just sending the message that the more you think about only yourself and are mean to others the more good things come your way. Now writers... give Kurt something like 'I wanna hold your hand' again it was touching, he sounded beautiful, it wasn't a show tune but most of all it wasn't a show tune sung by a woman about being a woman/girl/female

November 2, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sean

“Disjointed”, “lacking continuity”, “preachy”, “overproduced”…these are words I (and so many others) use to describe the not-so-great second season of Glee. I’m pretty sure it’s for reasons like these that so many people decided to stop watching. I’m sure they felt they’d be getting more of the same bad writing that occurred during season two. So far this season though the show’s done a complete 180 in terms of storytelling and character development. At the beginning of season three, Ryan Murphy promised to focus more on the characters that we all fell in love with in the first place. So far, he’s kept true to his word. The show’s gone back to its roots…back to basics, if you will. It’s less about the big-name guest stars and tribute episodes and more about (you guessed it) the CHARACTERS! The storylines are both funny and emotional and the music is awesome; nothing seems forced. It’s a real shame so many people gave up on the show because I think Glee’s back and better than ever (or at least better than last season)!

November 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ben

We should get more blogs from the lovely and tallented Lisa Respers France. Her blogs are good and CNN should give her a pay raise. It will be good American Idol time soon. HOOOORAY !

November 2, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Respondo

It's still horrible.

November 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

Agreed... they're losing me. The songs used to kind of fit in with the episode, but "Last Friday Night" just out of the blue for no reason whatsoever? It's like the writers have a contract with Katy Perry and can't go 4 episodes in a row without her.

November 3, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  23. @evel

You're an ignorant fool. If you have nothing constructive to write, why comment at all?
    If you don't like the show, don't watch it and don't read articles about it.

November 2, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Evel Knievel

Well, if they'd focus on that cripple kid every now and then, the show would be better.

November 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |