A turning point for Shane on 'The Walking Dead'
October 31st, 2011

A turning point for Shane on 'The Walking Dead'

Sunday night's episode of "The Walking Dead" featured plenty of zombies in the first 15 minutes, for those who have been complaining that so far this season we're not seeing enough of them.

It didn't quite pick up where we left off, with Shane and Otis (the man who accidentally shot Carl) cornered at a high school by a mob of walkers. Instead, we got Shane shaving his head in the bathroom, which might have been seen as a flashback if only because we've started with flashbacks in each episode this season. But then, it was a head shaving scene, so maybe not.

All would be revealed in time as Shane and Otis continued to fight off the horde and attempted to get vital medical supplies back to Carl, whose condition continued to worsen.

In the meantime, Carl's mother, Lori, started to wonder if death wasn't preferable to their current situation, and Andrea and Daryl pondered the ethics of putting a walker who was hanging from a noose out of his misery, or allowing him to "make his choice" (Andrea finally chose the former, before being awarded her own gun by Dale).

On the other hand, you had Glenn, who may just have one more reason to continue surviving after meeting Maggie at the farm where Carl was being treated.

When Shane arrived with the medical supplies alone, there was a sinking feeling as to what happened to Otis, and before long we discovered that the head shaving scene was taking place as he recalled shooting Otis, and leaving him for the walkers.

Shane may have done what he felt like he needed to do to survive, and perhaps he felt this was payback to Otis for Carl, but this decision is sure to stir debate among fans.

Now, I think Shane has gone to the point of no return, and I have a feeling the repercussions of this will be felt as the season progresses. I've been a fan of this season, but I know there are plenty out there who aren't.

What did you think of Shane's actions? For those of you who have been down on the season so far, did this one turn things around for you? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. alan goodman

Shane is about Shane. Otis was an outsider, and expendaeble. He definately wanted to save the boy, but first and foremost, he wanted to live. The reality is he acted quickly and coollt to save his own butt. His morality changes because his will to live outweights any morality. I admire that, and many people would do the same thing to save their own skins, although most people will definately not admit to it, or have the thought process to do it. I would have done the same thing if there was no hope of making it to the car at all.

November 4, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gregg

The Walking Dead is one of the most thoughtful and thought provoking shows ever made. What happens to a moral person when you must choose between ethics and survival?

Is Shane a hero? A villlian? Both?

November 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Afrobeaver

I didn't watch the first season, but I am addicted to this season. As far as Shane's decision, I was shocked by it at first but then it seemed almost obvious.

November 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. raven

Can't help it. Anyone else see that chest on Shane while he was shaving his head. Fell off the couch.

November 2, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Lipglossjunky73

Ohhh yeah! Shane definitely needs more shower scenes! I hated that he shot Otis. I wanted him to be the rough exterior with a heart of gold. I love the drama stuff. It's why the show is winning awards. It is so realistic, how people would react on all levels if this were to happen. I love everything about this show. And the characters are all awesome!!!

November 2, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. punkrhippie

Shane did what he had to do. He's my favorite character so far.

November 1, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. pedro fuentez

I just sure cant stand the actress that plays Lori. She just grates on me for some reason. I would much prefer the company of the walkers to her.

October 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. laquecia

I think they should have distracted the zombies with reeses peanut butter cups. Everyone loves them. They should have thrown around 2 bags of reeses then walked in and got the medecine. That or maybe they could have chopped up that horrible Lori and used pieces of her dismembered body to distract them. I kind lean towards this second method because you would also have reeses left to snack on once you got away.

October 31, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sarah

Poor Otis......Did NOT see that coming.I bet they find the little girl,she has turned into a Walker and her mom lets her bite her (like "Night of the Living Dead" LOVE the show

October 31, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dia

I think what Shane did is realistic.It's about surivival...and to those who think what he did is wrong, you need to re-watch the episode.

October 31, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marty

While I love this show, I really expected more out of a zombie movie on Halloween weekend, I mean it wasn't that scary and very little gory parts. I mean it is Halloween!

October 31, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MIA'S

Not only can the little girl show up again, don't forget Darryl's one handed brother could be out there too.

October 31, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BILL

I think they should have stayed on the road instead of going to the farm. It was exciting with them on the road, travelling, getting into adventures. One of my heros, Peace, said it has already been picked up for a 3rd season! That is AWESOME!

October 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. loJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EKjzxWMtcc&w=640&h=390]

October 31, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ED

They should let me be the writer. It would be a big zombie killing featival. None of the Beverly Hills 90210 drama craaapp. This is supposed to be about people fighting zombies. Not mushy feely feelings craaaapp.

October 31, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. toes

No self respecting zombie would even want to eat Lori. She is so skinny there wouldnt be any good meat on her bones. Plus she is so mean and grumpy I bet she would taste sour or bitter. Otis was nice and plump. Just right for zombie eatin.

October 31, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ZOMBIE GRRRL

AAARRRRGGGHHHH IM A ZOMBIE ! Shane shouldnt be a killing people but that is still better than hurting us nice zombies ! We dont want to hurt you. We just want to eat your braaaaaaaaains !

October 31, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mark

To answer one of the comments above: Shane tried to help Rick, even when he didn't hear his pulse, he put the bed against the door just in case. In this episode, Shane fell on the ground and told Otis to go on, Otis refused. Shane saw they weren't going to make it because of his hurt ankle, and Otis carrying the equip., his weight, and always out of breath. Not defending Shane, just telling the facts. If they kept going, they both would've died. Shane made a very hard choice, not entirely right, not entirely wrong. As soon as Glenn pulled up in the truck, they should've gone to the school to at least check out the scene sine the guys didn't come back yet. Great ending!

October 31, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Daryl

My one handed brother got the little girl. He is gonna use her in his stew. With taters and carrots.

October 31, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. alecia

Lories legs are way to skinny. She looks like a skeleton. Maybe if they could chop her up with a chainsaw they could use pieces of her to distract zombies or as fishin bait.

October 31, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dave

yea..in the orginal graphic novel shane does get killed by carl. He will reap what he sows later on though. I am still curious as to what happened to the little girl that they are looking for. I am wondering if she was zombie dinner or taken away by more survivors.

October 31, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Gary

He was always a coward. He left his best friend (Rick) in the hospital and lied to his wife. Then last season he was prepared to shoot Rick until he was interrupted. He tried to rape Lori last season as well. He has lost what little morality he had, so he is a danger to anyone else, human or zombie.

October 31, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sharon

What is wrong with you people? Last season, spectacular...this season, more thoughtful and provacative. Truly, one of the best shows of it's kind ever made for TV. You should not want to figure out what should have been done or who should have done what to save anyone...let the writers do what they get paid for and this group has earned thier money. Well done....both seasons. (and I don't even like stuff like this normally)

October 31, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samara

I completely agree. Let the story develop itself. So far the characters are interesting and so is the plot. The only caracter I'm growing tired of is Andrea. She whines way too much!

October 31, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ella

Lori gets on my nerves. It seems to be her time of the month all month long. I wish a walker would get her.

October 31, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Pliny

When Dale left Carol on top of the RV, at night, during his watch with the words "I will be right back"....that made no sense to me at all.
    First off, anyone who's ever watched a horror movie knows that you NEVER split up like that. And secondly, since both characters have been dealing with walkers for two seasons now, you'd expect them to have more brains than that!!!

Oh...and traci is a boring idiot.

October 31, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. HALLOWEEN TIME IS HAPPY TIME

BOOOOOOOOOO :o

October 31, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  26. HALLOWEEN TIME IS HAPPY TIME

Im disappointed in Shane. I thought he was a good guy. He was my favorite character on the show. Im really Zombie 2 but thought Id use a good Halloween name for today. Happy Halloween everyone ! :o

October 31, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  27. paula

they need to start sticking to the graphic novel!
    its better then the show and if they did shane wouldve died already when carl kills him for trying to kill rick to get lori back.
    And otis wouldnt have died till later on and andrea wouldnt be a crying baby

October 31, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Dmw

If they kept it like the graphic novel, you would know everything. The show would be predictable, and there would be, little room for suspense, plot twists, etc. what fun would that be?

October 31, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  28. radioactive redhead

They are turning Shane evil, in a different form from zombies. So they can keep the characters of Rick and his wife together. Karma is hell, Shane will find out

October 31, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Mommaschwag

Ok...so Shane kills Otis and leaves him behind for the walkers so he can escape and attempt to save Carl. This may seem a little extreme to some, but put yourself in his shoes. Shane loves Carl (and his mom) and wants him to pull through. This Otis guy is responsible for the situation they're in. Yes, it's tragic and immoral, but it can be considered ethical. He killed Otis for the greater good. Anyone in a situation like this would more than likely do the same thing. It's called surviving.

October 31, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rik

@Mammashwag – Noooo, Shane was not surviving. Otis did not see Carl. It was an accident. Otis was hunting for food. If Otis couldn't keep up, you let him fall behind and shoot him once he's bitten, not before hand.
      Here's my question, why don't you drive up to the school, let someone out and drive around attracting all the zombies, let your partner round up all his supplies and then swing back in and pick him up. Viola. And why don't we have a flame thrower yet????

October 31, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. xdougx

On this episode of the Walking Dead, yet again nothing happens.

October 31, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  30. Beautiful Vixen

I only saw the last half hour of it. I felt bad for Otis. I don't understand why Shane shot him and left him for Zombie dinner. I mean Otis seems as though he was keeping up.

October 31, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  31. Greg

The storyline with Shane shooting Otis and leaving him for the walking dead was intense. They did a great job of screwing the suspense levels to the breaking point. We knew that something happened which Shane wasn't telling anyone about. The moral quandary about what Shane did is so dark and complex that I can't wait to see how it plays out as the series progresses.

October 31, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  32. Lame

I hate how this show is throwing stuff in there that shouldn't be. It's getting farther and farther from the graphic novel. They should've kept it where Carl shoots shane in the neck and kills him. Or maybe they'll throw that in later. who knows? :-)

October 31, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Sheryl

It would be lame to follow the comic book verbatim. We wouldn't have the awesomeness of Darrel and the one handed Merle, unless he turns out to be the Govenor.

October 31, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

Kinda doesn't make sense to follow the novel completely. Why would you want to know everything that happens? Lame. My beef is the idiot child that went from underneath the car – into the woods. I hope they don't find her.

October 31, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Samara

I was completely shocked to see how the episode ended and what Shane had done to save himself. I felt he had no reason to do it as they were both getting away and Otis told him he would not leave him behind. You are right, this for Shane is the point of no return. Will he end up killing others in the group? He cannot be trusted, even though only he knows what he did. Love the show though!

October 31, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  34. JUSTGUESS

shane- i thought he was a good person, he did what he did to stay alive, but i still think that is so wrong for what he did. for me, yes it does change things around for me in the season.

October 31, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Gary

October 31, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jean

Did Shane do what he did as payback to Otis? To survive? To survive so he could get the medical supplies back for Carl? Or simply as a way to win back Lori?

October 31, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |