'Grimm' a genre hybrid that doesn't quite work
October 29th, 2011

'Grimm' a genre hybrid that doesn't quite work

On Friday's series premiere of "Grimm," we were introduced to our second take on fairy tales in less than a week's time, this one a little more of a police procedural.

Nick Burkhardt is a detective who suddenly finds himself having inherited the power to see certain people's "true selves": creatures from Grimm fairy tales.

This first episode saw him pursuing a monstrous predator who went after women and young girls wearing red (gee, I wonder which fairy tale that's about?).

The problems here, in a show from two talented producers (David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf from "Angel"), range from the minor (how is it that the first victim's iPod just happened to cycle back to the same song, "Sweet Dreams," that she was listening to when she was attacked?) to the more important (since Nick is a "Grimm," why doesn't he try to see what each of these creatures is up to, instead of just being generally creeped out by what he sees - especially when the first one he saw seems to be a villain?).

By far, the best part of this show was Eddie, the "Big Bad Wolf," who seems to be more like the comic relief. There needs to be more of him - a lot more. Nick and his partner, Hank, aren't really that interesting so far.

It's easy to see where they can go with this concept, especially as Nick struggles with whether or not to keep his powers a secret from co-workers and loved ones, and the promise that this will use the "X-Files"/"Fringe" formula of a "monster of the week."

Even so, I expected more from this. It's an interesting concept on paper, but doesn't seem fully formed. It also doesn't help that the show's effects aren't quite up to what we've seen on other genre shows ("Terra Nova," it's not).

With Friday night's competition being the final game of the World Series, and the aforementioned competition on a weekly basis (not to mention "Supernatural"), it's a huge understatement to say that "Grimm" faces an uphill ratings battle. We'll see if it can go the distance.

Did you like the premiere, and will you come back next week? Share your iReport or comment below.

« Previous entry
  1. Barb

Love it! Our family – 3 teens & 2 parents – has watched all episodes at least once and so look forward to it that we start talking about our Friday night schedules on Wednesday so we know what time we can all watch together. Great concept. Love Aunt Marie's trailer, all her treasures and the book. We absolutely LOVE Monroe. My favorite episode is the one about the kids and the rats, based on the Pied Piper.
    However, if you haven't seen it, you must watch the first 2 episodes first.

March 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AriesZofo

I liked it and I'll be tuning in to watch over the next few weeks.

I find it funny that the reviewer questioned the believability of a song repeating but had no problem with the supernatural concept.

November 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Melinda

I really enjoyed the show watched it on Demand. It great that the show is shot in Portland too it adds to the over creepiness too. I will be watching on Friday nights!

November 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tammy

I loved Grimm, and will follow it until they show me they can't go anywhere else with it. For those of you who were bored, may I suggest you watch more family friendly shows? (yeah I know, Grimm is a little on the edge, but it's much more family friendly than MOST shows out there now) Once Upon a Time was okay on the pilot, the second one has me wondering just how far can this show go based on the plot, I think I might continue to watch it, but I'll DVR and can fast forward through the stupid parts so I won't think I wasted a complete hour out of my life that I'll never get back should the episode be a complete failure. Grimm will for sure get me back week after week....

November 1, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. K Rae

I'm a big SyFy and fantasy fan and the Grimm premiere bored me. I'm still going to give it a shot but it had nothing on ABC's Once Upon a Time.

November 1, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jimBo

awesome show, this writers a dink

November 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bella

I am not impressed with Grimm or OUAT. They both fell flat for me. I'll stick with my tried and true Supernatural, thanks.

November 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sylvie Tougas

I truly enjoyed Grimm. I am already hooked and will definitely tune in every week.

November 1, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. seattleview

I liked the show – MUCH better than Terra Nova (bad acting, average CGI, boring scripts). I thought it had a good balance of creepy and fun, and I dug the relationship between the two cops and Grimm and his Aunt. I think it has promise. Whether or not it will find an audience remains to be seen, But I'd definitely give it another watch. As for OUAT – forget it. Too soapy for me.

November 1, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. meadowmuffin

Loved it!! Finally something good is on Friday nights...I wish it was on every night. It was a great show, loved that his boss is a creature...common Friday

November 1, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. Shel

I am watching and recording Grimm and Once Upon a Time. So far, Grimm is winning by a mile. I enjoyed it, I hope it won't be pulled off the air before before the characters have a chance to develop.

November 1, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. Michelle

Because Fringe was bumped for baseball, I gave this show a chance and was expecting a bit more than I got, given that it comes from Buffy/Angel folks. I actually ended up tuning out the majority of the show (getting up and cleaning dishes, etc.) and not even missing an iota of plot, because there wasn't much of it - not something you can say for Fringe (and probably Supernatural - another Friday alternative). It HAS potential, and had this episode been episode 14 or so? I'd forgive the lazy writing and lackluster storytelling, but as it was the Pilot, it should have been aiming to blow my mind and it was FAR from even approaching that.

November 1, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ben

I liked the show but it was so hyped up that I was expecting more. I will definitely be back for more. Let's see if the plot will thicken.

October 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Alex

I will watch it only because there is nothing better on on a Friday night. That's not saying much.

October 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tony

What's with the "gee, I wonder which fairy tale that's about?" comment. How lame to imply the Grimm producers *didn't* expect people to know. After that comment I pretty much figured the article was just written by someone who figures he'll sound like a cool critic - but instead sounds completely lame.

October 31, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Denay

Disappointing, there are much better shows to watch. I did like the location, with all the moss covered trees, gives it a mysterious vibe. Also the music choose are pretty awesome. But the shows just seemed to be lacking. How many times can we see a cop bust a monster over and over again. The show need more depth.

October 31, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Debwe

I agree–the review was really bad. I liked the show and WILL watch it again!

October 31, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ladeeda

This review sux

October 31, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. amyg

Loved the show!!!! Thought it was great!!!!

October 31, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  20. Honeydip74

I watched the first episode and the only thing I really didn't like was Burkhardt's partner. I've seen that guy in other stuff and he just sucks. I know there could've been other much better black actors to play his partner. I loved the big bad wolf...he was pretty funny. I've got it season passed on Tivo so I'm giving it a shot until they ax it...which I'm sure will happen since every show I like is either gone or recasted and now sucks. Anybody seen Stabler on SVU?? I MISS YOU!

October 31, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  21. Brian

I liked it a heck of a lot better than ABC's ridiculous "Once Upon a Time."

October 31, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  22. Lori

I really enjoyed the pilot episode and will definitely watch next week! Way bettery than "Once upon a Time"...

October 31, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  23. j

I liked it and esp the big bad wolf being his sidekick. Love that twist

October 31, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  24. Silverdirewolfe

My fiance and I enjoyed it enough to tune-in to the next episode. It was certainly a million times better than "Once Upon a Time", which made me feel like I'd been injected with a fatal overdose of Disney.

October 31, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  25. FastTurtle

I watched it and thought it was good. I liked Once Upon A Time as well.

October 30, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mou

I really enjoyed the pilot episode of GRIMM, and I'll be back next week. I liked it much better than ONCE UPON A TIME, which I didn't really enjoy.

October 30, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jenn

I thought it was awkward when they found the iPod and then the partner starting singing along. That was unnecessary dialogue. And WHY was the bad guy singing it too? They were forcing a connection that didn't really exist. Was not impressed with the pilot and I did have high hopes in the beginning.

October 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Becky

I loved it. One of the few new shows this season that has caught my imagination.

October 30, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. craig

The show was "GREAT". Really enjoyed it. Took me down thw X-Files route. I will definitely be watching it this season.

October 30, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. John

I'm surprised how many people like this. I agree with the reviewers assessment, but more than that, I thought the show offered nothing really new, clever, or intelligent. Easiest crime in the world to solve: just find a guy who can smell where the bad guy is - voilla! Mystery over.

October 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of the positive reviews are from people who live in Portland and give the show high marks because of that and that alone. The storyline was rushed and the main character was BORING. His appearance was also too "pretty boy." For sure the the "Ken" doll haircut has to go. Men in Portland are mostly bald with goatees. I also felt like I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer all over again. How unoriginal considering its potential. One good actor (the wolf) does not make one good show. Too bad...I had high hopes.

October 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Linda

My husband and I enjoyed the pilot. Of course we are hoping the characters develop quickly, but that said it was worth the wait. We also live in the filming area. A neighbor's house was considered for one of the episodes so it's even more fun for us! From what we hear around this area the show is scheduled for 13 episodes. I think it is well done and hope it gets a chance.

October 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  32. rwood

I agree with EDMan. It was very interesting and original and I like this fairytale take much better than the "Once Upon A Time". I will watch GRIMM again.

October 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Skitty

I liked it. I knew going into it that it was by people who did Angel and that was aparent. It had an easy to follow start and got all wraped up in the hour. I think that by episode 5 we will see if it is a keeper or not. I really enjoyed that it was not another CSI or Law & Order, I think we all need something new.

October 30, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  34. MMC

Buffy meets Charmed is what I thought...we'll see how long it lasts, but it was a fun hour.

October 30, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  35. Tennie

Enjoyed Grimm more than Once Upon a Time. I think because they are taking the fairy tales and changing them up a little bit, not sticking to the cleaned up stories we know. Although the red hoodies was too predictable. We'll see. Will definitely keep watching.

October 29, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  36. EDMan

Very interesting beginning. My wife and I liked it! I love the fairy tale take; even if it's not 100% original. Definitely worth a few more episodes! The concept is intriguing and it was very well done. Yes, the effects weren't "out of this world," but I think that the show is more about 'story' and less about FX - at least I hope it continues to be that way!

October 29, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Lora Fisher

There's room for growth, definitely, but wouldn't you be creeped out at having this superpower?
    Give him time.
    Loved the Portland sites and Silas Weir Mitchell as Monroe.
    He added a great comic-ironic touch to the goings-on!

October 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Gumball

I really liked the Pilot episode. As has already been said the iPod was on Repeat. . . Daaah. I look forward to next week, and hopefully for seasons to come*.

October 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Henry Hanks

On second thought, the iPod batteries still working is more problematic (and yesI realize that is a bit reminiscent of Abed on this week's Community). But I digress...

October 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Henry Hanks

Repeat would be an odd choice for someone jogging. It mostly came across as lazy writing and yes a newer version of "Sweet Dreams" reappeared at the end. In any case, a minor point like I said. Looks like NBC will give this one some time so we'll see if it improves (like American Horror Story has, somewhat.)

October 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silverdirewolfe

I'm not sure how much time you spend at the gym, but there have been times I've listened to one industrial/synth track–on repeat–for an entire treadmill run. The beat to "Sweet Dreams" is practically made for running. Anyway, even if that wasn't the case, the lyrics practically describe the show's premise. I could totally have seen the Marilyn Manson version being the theme song, if it wasn't on a network station.

October 31, 2011 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  41. Kevin Nettleship

VERY surprised by the critical review. Really question the assessment of the special effects. Thoroughly enjoyed and hope it lasts many years.

October 29, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  42. I Disagree!

I just watched the first episode on On The Demand. I liked it too! I was hoping his aunt would give more details of their family connection, but other than that Grimm is promising.

October 29, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  43. DlaCT

Loved it!

October 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Terrie

Fun show....great scenery! (okay, I'm prejudice....I live in the Portland area, where it's shot)...Loved the BBW, too. It'll be interesting to see how it develops...all in all.....better than Terra Nova.

October 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Christopher

Saw it. Liked it.

Unfortunately, I also liked "The Cape", and NBC couldn't get it off the air fast enough, so I've probably doomed "Grimm", as well.

October 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Cheryl

I watched the show and LOVED it!!!...have already set up to watch the series...can't wait til next week

October 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Graystone

Was really a sleeper. Didn't much care about any of the characters or what happened to them by the end of the pilot. It is on at the same time as Fringe and Supernatural which are far better shows. This show isn't going to last long.

October 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Gray: You're not understanding what a "sleeper" is, it's not a boring show as you're suggesting, it is one that comes with little hype and fanfare, but manages to be a hit anyway.

October 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  48. violet

I don't usually watch "paranormal" shows but I really enjoyed "Grimm" and will continue watching it for as long as it lasts on tv.

October 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Winchester101

I really enjoyed the pilot episode. Its a good show, but its not as good as Supernatural.

October 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  50. barbara

Maybe the show wasn't off to gang busters start, but I liked and didn't channel flip once. I think the show has great potential and that seeing a character grow into his abilities and powers gradually is more interesting that him being able to do everything all at once. Glad there's something to watch on Friday nites besides House Hunters. And by the way, special effects or not, I don't think Terra Nova is that great. Where's that train going?

October 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. SoonieSue

I'm usually critical when I watch new shows, EVERYTHING is picked apart. I iPod? huh? (how is it that the first victim's iPod just happened to cycle back to the same song," How about, SHUFFLE & maybe she only has a couple songs.NEXT!
    I said right away Eddie was GREAT! He does need to be on more if not every wk.
    Q) "Nick is a "Grimm," why doesn't he try to see what each of these creatures is up to, instead of just being generally creeped out by what he sees – especially when the first one he saw seems to be a villain?)."
    A) He's JUST learning about this "curse". He will come into the GRIMM soon enough, give the guy a break. He's only been GRIMM for a day or so. And I thought I was picky.

The show was well acted and filmed well. GOOD JOB! I will continue watching.

October 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  52. margo

I liked it. I think Eddie really added a got comic touch to the show...hope it makes it in the ratings

October 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  53. BloggerFail

"(how is it that the first victim's iPod just happened to cycle back to the same song, "Sweet Dreams," that she was listening to when she was attacked?)

Really?!

Its based off a super brand new technology called "Repeat" – maybe try listening to an iPod/iphone/ipad or to generally any music device since the CD era where this esoteric feature was show cased

October 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silverdirewolfe

Too funny! I was thinking the same thing while reading this "review".

October 31, 2011 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Thank you for pointing out that the author has been under a rock or in a cave for the past 20 years. LOL

October 31, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patt

Exactly! That was my first thought too.

His second problem was silly too: (since Nick is a "Grimm," why doesn't he try to see what each of these creatures is up to, instead of just being generally creeped out by what he sees – especially when the first one he saw seems to be a villain?).

If you just suddenly started seeing people's faces morph into demons I highly doubt your first thought would be let me follow them around and see what they are up to, you would probably run screaming the other direction!

November 1, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Missy

Good morning all! I watched it last night, and I really liked it. I especially liked the "big bad wolf" character. Pretty good special effects, too.

October 29, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  55. GrimmLvr

I actually enjoyed the pilot episode! i will definitely be tuned in next week.

October 29, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  56. Chris

I liked Grimm and will definitely watch it again next week.

October 29, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I liked GRIMM. It had the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" vibe - dramatic and action filled but not taking itself too seriously. This fairy tale show is much better than that overstuffed dud on ABC.

October 29, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lene

I totally enjoyed the show; you HAVE to give each new show at least 3 wks time to get used to the characters, the style of writing etc. I feel critics should not judge on just the first one. I'm looking forward to more episodes and yes, I'll be watching! It's always nice to watch a show with a slightly different 'bent' to it...........

October 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vanita

I adored it...so did my husband, grown kids and son (16)....I thought it was great, not too grafic

October 31, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Ditto. I will not only be watching but it's now a season pass in my Tivo

October 31, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori

I really enjoyed the show and hope to see many episodes!

October 31, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • WallyB

I liked Grimm. I wish he would follow the blonde attorney to see what she's up to. She looks evil. His association with the friendly werewolf is kind of comical. They should work together.

Once Upon a Time really stunk. It doesn't mesh. It's confusing. The princess looks like the witch, etc., etc..

October 31, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • wallyb

First Post

October 31, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janice

Wow, my family loved this show and thought it was right on target. The visuals were stunning and so well done, so detailed. I loved the concept – we hope it goes on and on...

November 1, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |