Melissa McCarthy responds to comments on her weight
October 28th, 2011

Melissa McCarthy responds to comments on her weight

Unfortunately, whenever something about Melissa McCarthy pops up in various corners of the Web, odds are someone will have something snarky to say about her size.

In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, the "Bridesmaids" star and crowned "New Queen of Comedy" explains what she thinks when she reads remarks about her weight, in particular one from a blogger.

"My first thought was, 'Gosh, I hope she doesn't have a daughter,'" she says, according to JustJared.com. "And then after a second I thought, 'What a sad, troubled person. You're making such a s--y judgment on people.'"

The 41-year-old actress continues, "Do I sometimes hope I wake up in the morning and people are like, 'What's wrong with her? She looks emaciated.' Of course I would love that. I'm such a clothes whore I would love the opportunity to be a hanger. But I think I'm more confident than I've ever felt in my life. I always thought it was worth the fight. Now I know it is."

Read the full interview with Melissa McCarthy in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, on newsstands now.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. hammer fall

All material copied from a different source hammer fall http://www.testttdjshdk121.com

February 19, 2013 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mike Hunt

It's OK. I'll pay more for my health insurance so you can filling your pie hole.

September 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. heavy and trying

Just watched the oscars and felt so sorry for Melissa. People kept telling her how wonderful she looked, but as an intelligent person she knows the truth. In an interview I read, she mentions waking up and weighing 94 pounds which is the problem many heavy people have – all or nothing. For her own health – think John Candy – and as a role model for her daughters, being the size of Octavia Spencer or Oprah would be a better dream.

February 28, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Heather

Most of the responses on here are saying they think she's pretty but too fat, and because she is fat she is "unhealthy". Hmmm, so ok, let's put this in perspective...how many skinny, "beautiful" people in Hollywood are unhealthy? Hmmm...I do not know, they have all either died of anorexia, drug overdoses, gang banging, etc... When you watch a show with skinny people in it, do you say, wow, he/she is too skinny, or drugged out to watch? NO. As a matter of fact, look at Charlie Sheen...it becomes a must see thing, ratings through the roof! But if someone is fat, obese, overweight, and has a successful show, the only thing being discussed is the fat and wether or not kissing fat people should be allowed in prime time?? Same thing with Adele...the woman has the voice of a goddess..but she is also being criticized for being overweight...do you look at any other singer and say, nice voice, but gee she could stand to gain a few pounds? NO! It's absurd. While I understand everyone has a right to their opinion, since we do live in America, I just get tired of the shallowness of people in general and how success seems to always be glorified if the outer layers of the person are what falls within the accepted norm. Melissa is a mom, a wife, and now is getting kudos for what she has done for a long time...be funny. I think it's great and I hope her good fortune continues!

February 10, 2012 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. opinion phobia!

I love how so many people here are so opposed to "judgment" and translate basic logic and critical thinking about health and fat into evidence of "unnecessary" hate! For all the talk here about how supposedly bad it is to be "fat phobic", what about all of those here who are so "judgment phobic"? Should we similarly pity them and have sympathy for them (using their passive-aggressive means of criticizing and belittling other's opinions, via condescending expressions of false pity) , as they have done with the supposed fat phobes – only in this case, for their offensive, short-sighted and small-minded "judgment phobia"?

January 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom Leykis

She's corpulently obese and it's disgusting and a conscious decision to be a lard@ss. 98% of the fat people are fat by choice through the lifestyle decisions they make to eat lousy food and lots of it and not engage in any physical activity. They're offensive and it's unnecessary. I have no sympathy for them, whatsoever.

November 29, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • jeremy

No need to be so disrespectful, Tom! A lot of skinny people I know are sedentary and eat a lot of junk food. A lot of fat people I know have healthy eating habits and live active lifestyles. I can't expect to make a valid judgment about someone based entirely on their appearance, and neither can you! You are offensive, and your comments are unnecessary. I'm not mad at you for being so fat phobic. It's the hate with which you express your ignorant viewpoint that makes me angry. You have my sympathies.

December 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • kelliemurray

They're offensive? Wow. And I bet you are just the best looking man in the world right? I doubt it. No matter what you look like you are very ugly. I'm sure that heavy people aren't looking for your or anyone else's approval. You need to stop being a bully. It's not attractive.

May 18, 2012 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. kelli

I've been watching Melissa McCarthy since she was Sookie in Gilmore Girls and she's absolutely fantastic to watch. And I also really enjoyed watching her wardrobe; large women often are dressed in lame clothes that do little to flatter. Mrs. McCarthy should think about backing a fashion line. Thanks for being a fashionable example of the bigger girls in Hollywood.

November 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lacey

i love her! i wish her all the best!

November 11, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Seth

We love you, Melissa. We just want you to be healthy, that's all.

November 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Janie

I think it's interesting that people are so very determined to make heavy people feel badly about themselves. You know what that tells me? It's fear. People are always so quick to judge anyone who is different because it's petty fear. The people who are brave have absolutely no reason to fear people who are different or judge and call names. Yep, she's big. Yep, she's an extremely talented and likable performer. She's probably a swell gal and fun to hang out with. She also EXTREMELY easy on the eyes. This is a pretty lady and there's no denying it. Fat is not ugly. Fear and shame are ugly.

November 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rebbeca

I like her I like the show. People have the right to live their lives the way they choose I am a smoker is it bad...yes can it eventually kill me...yes but my life my choice I am a very considerate smoker and make sure my bad habit is not bothering anyone. Is her weight unhealthy ...yes but her body her choice I think she is fabulous no matter what she looks like.
    If you don't like the show or her here's a tip....don't watch it.

November 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Blythe

WOW what HATERS you are !! I hope you ALL become FAT and realise how hard it can be fore these people to loose weight! And BTW THIN Or FAT a JERK comes in EVERY size!!!

November 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Health

Regardless of how rude it is to insult someone for their weight, being overweight is still unhealthy and not normal or average. I understand that self esteem is important for all people, heavy or stick-lick, but all these stupid campaigns about how "big is beautiful too" are putting out the message that it is ok to be fat. It really isn't, not if you value your life and want to spend more time on this planet with the people you love. Again, being obese is not normal, and up until the past 50 years, it really wasn't that common for humans to be as big as so many people are now.

Being fat doesn't make you a bad person, but trying to get people to accept obesity as normal is just wrong. Humans have not evolved to be so large.

November 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janie

Sure, it's okay to be fat. It's also okay to be rude, spiteful, hateful and jealous. It's the diversity of humanity that makes us as a human race quite beautiful. A lot of people on this thread have shown me things much more ugly than fat.

November 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Orangello

I was riding the subway the other day and this huge fat guy got on and he took up 2 seats cause he was so fat but they did not make him buy 2 tickets. When he went to leave a guy had to come and open a gate for him because he could not fit thru the turnstiles. I see the point, he wanted and got special treatment but he is only fat because he eats like enough food for 2 people. I bet he goes to the doctor more too and that big is probably diabetic. Does he pay more for health insirance because he is fat? No Does he cose more? Yes. Not fair- we need to stop thinking fat people are "special" or "disabled" they are fat because they don't eat right. Fat people take more than they need & expect special treatment for it- they suck!

October 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. derp

I tried watching her show. I sucked. It was one continuous fat joke. People who are not fat don't find repeated fat jokes all that funny. Her schtick will grow old really fast. There are only so many fat jokes you can make.

October 31, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  16. Marie

Phyllis
    You need to get a life. I am a heavy person. And I do not sit on the couch all day eating. People can't believe the stuff that I do.
    You don't pay any thing for me being heavy. Get EDUCATION.

October 30, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • PatNYC

So Marie you are at because you don't eat too much and exercise too little? I'd like to know how that one works. Fat people are gross and unhealthy and expect the rest of the world to cater to them when they can't fit in stuff normal size people can. Being a healthy weight is what should be normal,so you fattys need to learn to be normal or get hassled by normal size people. Watch out, you cater to them and fattys take over the world. Fat people are fat by choice of lifestyle, descriminate against them because they are not disabled, they are just expecting the rest of us to cater to their life of excess. Somebody misses work all the time because they are drunk or hung over- they get fired & so should people who miss work or say they "need" extra stuff because they are fat & that causes health problems. FAT PEOPLE SUCK!

October 30, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Phyllis

Most pedophiles, wife beaters, animal abusers , pill poppers and so on don't give a d... what other people think either, but that does not make it right. I was the child of an obese mom and I was constantly teased about that & how fat and gross my mom was. Yeah, she died young and now my kids don't have a grandma and it was traumatic for them to lose her when they were little. If your fat and have kids and grandkids think about that. We all do have flaws but being fat is just like smoking cigarettes and huffing paint or whatnot and it is unhealthy self destructive behavior tha same as those people that make themselve throw up or take laxatives to get way to thin. The middle ground is the norm and people who do not fit it because of behavior will always get hassled and she be pushed to do what is right and be healthy. Idid not think of it before but it is right that fat people cost us all money. There was this huge fat guy at work who cried discrimination and he was disabled and all and they actually had to get some bigger chairs in the cafetteria and for his desk in his cubical just because of him. and he is only fat cause every time you see him he is eating chips and candy and he drinks sodas all the time too. We probably pay more for insurance because fat people have more medical bills just because they are fat and they expect other people to pay for them who keep themselves healthy.

Fat people take more than they need and that is simple GREED and not caring about other people and what your way to live costs them. When I say fat is not healthy it is a fact and does not mean I think I am better. A doctor does not think he is better than you when he tell you that you are fat and headed for heart attack and diabetes and so on. Fat is a poor example for kids. Nobody is perfect that is so true but people who eat right and exercise and have a balance know more than fat people so maybe you should listen. It hurt me people made fun of my mom but it worked because I vowed to never be like her and to make sure my kids weer not teased like I was. I know now Mom was selfish and thinking only of herself and I am sorry my kids had to go thru losing her when they were so small....she hurt them too. If you are "fat and happy" and do not care that you are actually hurting other people and costing them money then go right ahead and supersize it but be ready to get ridiculed and teased and your kids/grandkids too. JUST BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE FAT NOW DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT- FAT IS GROSS AND INCONSIDERATE PEOPLE- EWWWW

October 28, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

You should be more worried about people making fun of your kids because their mom doesn't have a proper command of the English language and writes like an uneducated hillbilly. Exercising and dieting is important, but gosh... a proper education is worth so much more. Hopefully you are also teaching your children to value their education so that THEY are not costing us money someday by needing public benefits because they're not educated enough to find a job.

November 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim H

Wow....could you be any more angry at this....maybe....just maybe you need to see someone...because your anger issues are going to get the best of you....I don't think that you don't like Melissa McCarthy....I think that you don't like your mother and you are taking it out on someone like this...Think about it....and get the help you need....oh....and the reason I say this...is that you start out talking in your post normal...but you ended up shouting....Just a small observation.

November 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Shana

I think what bothers the haters most is that she doesnt give a damn what they think. Boy...people love to build themselves up. No one is glorifying being obese of even denying the health implications. She's simply saying that she is who she is and she is how she is; and that's ok with her. If you dont like, keep it movin, do you, and let me do me

October 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kitty

The fact is that how someone chooses to live his/her life his a personal decison. If she is happy and confident in who she is that so be it. It really shouldnt bother people to a certain degree. The world is filled with all kind of people, some fat, some skinny, most somewhere in the middle. We are all humans and we ALL do things that are not ideal. Anyone who is so dead-set on consistley pointing out a fat person's weight as flaw should really evaluate themselves if thier own negativity and ugliness is morally any better than the sopposed horrid nature of the fat person.

October 28, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Allie

Melissa is beautiful and classy!! Don't like Mike and Molly but as a plus sized woman myself, I am happy to see her being happy for who she is. If someone doesn't like the way she looks, stop looking!!!!!!!!!!!

October 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Restle$$

@Evel. You better be nice 2 her. $he might find u and eat u . ha ha.

October 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kathryn

I watched the show for the first time a couple days ago and thought it was lame- nothing to do w/ fat actors, it just wasn't funny. I hate how they are trying to glamorize fat- fat is unhealthy & that is ugly. I can find inner beauty in fat people, but outside they are ugly just like crack heads because they are letting a substance take their health away and limit thier abilty to function in society (and we are supposed to make everything to fit them too because they have a "disability"???) Fat is a choice, a choice of a poor lifestyle the same as drinking a bottle of vodka every day, smoking two packs or sucking coke up your nose.

We are heading towards where the average American looks like Mike & Molly and that is not a good thing. We need to stop glamorizing fat (or, conversely, skeleton size 00 thin as well). There is a middle ground and that is a healthy diet & lifestyle that maintains a healthy weight.

October 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. TRUTH

So what, she's fat. So is over half of the country. Let's get over ourselves....

October 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Nacho Mama

I love Melissa McCarthy but she is just too big to be healthy. It's good to see real sized people in entertainment but I'm thinking more like Queen Latifah, Sara Ramirez and Ricki Lake. The size Melissa is at makes me fear for her own health.

October 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

I know a few overweight people who are far healthier than super skinny people who never exercise. Their labs always come back normal and healthy. Being overweight can be a sign of a medical condition, like thyroid disease, which slows the metabolism, or for women, PCOS. I ran daily at over 200 lbs for many years and always had great labs and was judged to be very healthy by my physician, before I was diagnosed with PCOS and metabolic syndrome. Now that I know what I'm fighting, my weight is back in the healthy range for my height. Please don't assume she is unhealthy just because she is bigger than some. That's between her and her doctor. I might add she's a talented actress who is much smaller than many of us.

November 23, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Lydia

I just don't think the show is funny. I don't get what people like about it– and I will admit it, the facts are that both "Mike" and "Molly" are not just fat, they are obese (so, so unhealthy) that watching them does make me cringe. It's distracting. They don't need to be skinny and perfect by any means, but they need to lose some weight because no human should be that large. And, if I had a daughter that size, I would plead with her to lose weight, not because of what she looks like, but because I would be terrified she would die.

October 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEE

Well said. I totally agree. Swoozie looks like a bone with boobs too high for her age, the sister is beautiful and voluptuous and then comes Molly with the sweet face and huge body.

October 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

In all honesty, eating disorders come from parents who demand physical perfection of their kids–mostly girls, but boys as well. My kids are a little chubby and I never, ever tell them they should lose weight. I ask them to come on walks with me, make them ride their bikes to school, and am open about why we should eat less sugar–because we have a family history of diabetes (for both sides for them). Calling people fat and begging them to lose weight just makes them defensive and angry. It will never, ever help.

You also might want to consider, Lydia, why you would not accept your child as they are if they ever have a weight problem. Is it because it would make you look bad to be the mom of the fat kid? What are your own motivations? Parents should absolutely be concerned for their children's health, but begging your child to lose weight is extreme and could seriously psychologically damage your child and alienate you from each other. Think carefully about why you need a skinny kid.

November 23, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  26. Vicky

My grandmother once scolded me when I was a child after I commented on a person of size at a grocery store – she said, "Baby, it takes all kinds of people to make this world what it is. Alway look at a person's heart first before beauty." I wish more children in this world were taught more compassion towards others. Maybe we wouldn't see so many judgmental people in this world (and this blog).

October 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jane

Fat people know they are fat...so what!?! She is a beautiful woman who is blessed with a wonderful sense of humor. That is what defines her, not her size. If you are thin, is that what defines you as a human being? If so, then you have a sad life. She is in the perfect line of work for her at this moment in time. God bless her!

October 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Boof

She's fat. She can't deny she's fat. As to why she's fat, who cares. If she doesn't want people calling her fat then she should either lose weight or get into another line of work.

October 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gena

If she doesn't want people to call her fat she should lose weight or get another line of work???? Are you kidding me?? So is it ok for me to call you stupid? Ugly? Pathetic? Moronic? Why not, instead of her having to change to not be abused by boneheads, why can't the BONEHEADS just NOT call people names? So if your child is bullied at school should we just expect him to change schools? Work out? Start being cooler? Her weight is HER issue and it isn't anyone elses damn business and she surely shouldn't have to change to get people to be human and non-judgemental.

November 5, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

She never denied she's fat. She is rightly calling out idiots who judge her for being who she is. It is just plain bigoted to say she should change industries because of her size when clearly it is not a liability to her or those who hire her. And...she probably makes a buttload more than people who are sitting around in online forums calling her fat.

November 23, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  29. LBLois

She is pretty and she is funny, but she is too heavy. When she sits on the couch on Mike and Molly, she always has a big pillow over her lap. Her backside looks like a shelf. Her part calls for a heavy woman, but she is beyond that. It's not healthy.

October 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeremy

She's not just pretty, she's beautiful. And you're making assumptions about her lifestyle that you have no idea about. I know many people who live healthy, active lifestyles who are her size or larger. In addition, I know many people who are sedentary and eat a lot of junk food but are skinny. Making a medical judgment based solely on someone's appearance is irresponsible.

December 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |