'Harry Potter' movies to vanish from stores
October 25th, 2011

'Harry Potter' movies to vanish from stores

If you're a fan of "Harry Potter" you better get physical copies of the films while they're hot - according to Entertainment Weekly, Warner Bros. will soon pull the franchise from store shelves.

Following the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" on November 11, the studio will give you a few weeks to snag any remaining theatrical "Potter" releases you don't have before they cease sending copies to stores.

The franchise, which began with 2001's "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," has generated $5.1 billion in home entertainment and interactives sales, according to EW.

The magical date when "Potter" films will begin to disappear is December 29, although digital copies (those sold electronically, and video on demand) and games won't be affected. A rep for Warner Bros. did not return a request for comment.

Filed under: Harry Potter • movies

« Previous entry
  1. Bj

This is a typical ploy by Disney. They do it with most of the kids movie's and then re-release them at intervals to spark interest.

November 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Crackman

Thank god for them internetz.

November 11, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NichtNicht

That isn't going to work. Too many of us have already ripped the physical media and freely pirate it.

November 7, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

You can easily buy these DVDs new and used on Ebay and Amazon. Access to them will never be difficult.

November 5, 2011 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pirate Dan

Because it will be so very difficult to find it otherwise. Wake up Disney. Pulling from the shelf doesn't actually impact supply.

October 31, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mark

How much extra money could a dick move like this actually make them....Sigh.... Oh shucks... I can't stay mad at you harry potter...

October 31, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CKF

Just. Wow. Jerks. I own some of the movies on bluray but not all. I frankly won't have the money to get the rest this year. I'm not going to be forced to buy a box set, and I don't usually illegally download movies, but I agree with folks here that torrents are the answer. Why pay for an online copy that will have messy restrictions on it when you can get a better product free?

October 31, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. Saber

The only reason they are doing this is to release the box sets later. Its a simple marketing ploy to force everyone into a $200.00 Box Set with some other goodies to get everyone drooling.

October 30, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. OregonTom

Bad move, everyone is going to forget about poor Harry. Or pirate poor Harry.

October 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jen

I really think this is a great way to encourage people to steal content over the Internet.

October 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • SNAFU

Yeah, learned that lesson when Disney began pulling this stunt years ago. Time to rent – rip – and put into MY vault alongside the Disney franchise.

November 11, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. John John

No problem... they will all be available at your local torrent site.

If WB hires one more moron MBA, I swear they will even pass Microsoft in goobs.

October 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. HapHazzard

Aren't we tired of these McRib stunts yet?

October 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jon

Not that I care since I wasn't a fan of the franchise to begin with, but I don't get what the purpose is to stop producing the physical copies of the films to be sold in stores. Are they hoping to start a trend?

October 27, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. Elaine

Harry Potter should stay on shelves. Yes they will make more money EVENTUALLY! and u can get the movie for free EVENTUALLY! But I don't know about you guys I prefer to watch movies freely and that means with a DVD.But I won't have money to buy the last 2 DVD's before then. I think what they are doing it flat out wrong.

October 27, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. Francis Ellis for London's Secret

For all you Harry Potter fans out there who are sad to see it come to an end, here's a consolation prize called London's Secret by Ella Roberts. Read or watch the story unfold at: LondonsSecret.blogspot.com

October 26, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Albert

I was waiting to buy a killer box set but with this news I have downloaded the first 3 movies and will download the rest this afternoon. Then I will make my own box set.
    Corporate greed doesn't work with me. I will continue to support companies that don't try to screw over customers.

October 26, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Renaldo

I thought this was about Harry Potter...not about salty nuts, poop, amuses, fecal flavored jelly beans, or sodomy...anyway this idea of keeping the movies in the vault, as Disney calls it, is stupid.

October 26, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. hannah13

i watch harry potter with my homegirls if u dont like im i have to words for u KICK ROCKS!!!!!

October 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. loJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZsnK2nuW0&w=640&h=390]

October 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TheDarkChocolateAfrican

I watch harry potter with my HOMEBOYS

October 26, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  21. big Al of KC

Oh the hypocrisy!! If you whiners were in their shoes, you would to the same thing. Your sandbox is waiting!

October 26, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  22. Ron

Who really gives a damn?

October 26, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  23. Beavis Comeavis

Money grab!!!!!

October 26, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  24. Byron

They always say the same thing, HP films will be in store shelves for the next 10 years. This is not more then a maketing strategy.

October 26, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. Barry

They're doing it so that you can only buy the box sets from now on.

October 26, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  26. Steve

Don't worry. Once they disappear from store shelves, they will be even easier to find online for free. And the studios' artificial scarcity will go over like a lead balloon.

October 26, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  27. Shari

The boxed set and the 18 different collector's editions and the director's cut will be out Xmas 2012! The corporations got fans of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings the same way. And it worked !!!

October 26, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  28. Diego

What the hell. I won't be able to get enough money to buy them all by then. Why the hell do the have to copy Disney.

October 26, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  29. other dan

my name is also dan and you said exactly what i was going to say totally blew my mind lol

October 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Future Dan 3

Actually we are both you as well hes from your future but my past........We are about 18 hours apart btw.
      PS you left the stove on.

November 2, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  30. Dan

I really hate stunts like this. It´s so stupid. Take it away and build hype and then in a few years bring it back and make millions. The sad part is, it'll probably work.

October 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Pee Wee Morris

My guess is that they will re-release the movies in 7 or 8 years when a new generation is ready to watch the films. It's similar to what Disney does with it's cartoons. I think it's a good idea.

October 25, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • tensor

One word now and 7 years from now: eBay. Not as if these are great movies; entertaining for the kiddies, but they ought be reading the books.

October 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@tensor. Awesome idea. I'll get the dvds, never unwrap them and sell them next year on eBay. niiice...

November 1, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Hugo

That's "its cartoons"

November 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • tony

This is stupidity at it's finest. Have they not heard of the internet? Trying to drive up demand by ceasing production of physical DVD's is a joke in the internet age. They've learned nothing from piracy.

November 16, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |