Alexa Ray Joel: My ex gave me an STD
October 25th, 2011

Alexa Ray Joel: My ex gave me an STD

Billy Joel’s daughter, singer/songwriter Alexa Ray Joel, has always been open about her personal life: A bad breakup led to her 2009 homeopathic overdose and struggles with depression.

And her recent interview with xoJane.com is no exception.

Joel told the website she contracted human papillomavirus, or HPV, from her ex-boyfriend.

The 25-year-old said her ex-boyfriend has allegedly transmitted HPV to multiple women.

(A federal government advisory committee voted Tuesday to recommend that boys and young men, from ages 11 to 21, be vaccinated against HPV.)

“I had it,” Joel says of the STD. “But I mean, a lot of people get it from my ex.”

“I mean it was fine, you know,” Joel shares. “There are no side effects. You just go and get it taken care of.”

The singer says she doesn't blame her ex for giving her HPV, because he didn’t know he had it. “I wasn't angry with him, because it's so common and he wasn't cheating on me,” she said. “I mean I was living with him; I saw him everyday.”

Joel was 19 when her ex, then 34, started dating. “I was wanting to help him with his drinking and various things and a lot of women do that, particularly with older troubled men; you want to be this young little angel that’s gonna help them, and it’s a mistake.”

These days Joel has a new man and a blossoming music career. “I know everybody has had it rough," she said. "Particularly with first love and there is nothing harder.”

1. Keri

Wow, there are some terrible people posting on this page. HPV is rampant and the fact that Alexa Ray Joel is bringing awareness is very respectable. The people that put strong people like her down are trashy – get yourselves checked.

November 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ex Girlfriend sayings

Awesome things here. I'm very glad to see your article. Thank you so much and I'm looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

May 7, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Fonduri Europene Consultanta

Thank you for any other informative website. Where else could I get that type of info written in such an ideal approach? I have a undertaking that I am just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

April 10, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. yuck

This is one butt ugly girl who clearly has the brains of her mother.

January 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ozone

Hey everyone suffering with HPV....google HPV and ozone therapy.

November 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ChuckCreig

Alexa.....come on honey. Dial it back. This is what we in the espionage business call "too much information."

November 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. NY1270

She probably wanted to come forward with this to simply raise awareness about HPV. This STD could lead to serious health issues, especially among the youth.

November 21, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rock

Im guessing the dating list has dwindled down to near zero recently?

November 21, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chelle

HPV is a virus there is no cure!!!!!! you can treat it and monitor it but there is no cure for the virus!!!

November 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mindcrime

You can't overdose on homeopathic medicine... it's literally impossible.

November 19, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. Homer Simpson

That is one homely ugly woman.........a 3 bagger, EASILY.

November 18, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. Liberace

I remember reading one time in an interview where she said she suffered from occasional constipation. Wow she sure has had a rough life.

November 18, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tim Lister

You're right Peeps, you can't overdose. It's not only impossible to overdose, it's impossible to dose period. So why are you still wasting your money on a homeopath? Homeopathic "remedies" don't do anything unless you're taking them in lieu of regular medication for a life-threatening condition. Then they can kill you.

November 16, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. brian

wonderfully enlightening news you media wh*re

November 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. john

I don't know why any of you are promoting the HPV Vaccine... I have read a lot of these comments and people are saying "get the vaccine so you dont have to go through the trauma.." First off, the vaccine doesn't even protect against all types of HPV. only certain strains. second, certain women are developing cervical cancer from getting the vaccine in under a year (google it.) and just because you get the vaccine doesn't mean you will not get cancer. wake up people. seriously.

November 15, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Rock

You're right!
      Better off to just F without protection. At least if she gets pregnant, you can just evacuate the unthinking goop out of there and be done with it.

November 21, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  16. Kristina

Gardisil protects against HPV infections recommended for both males and females ages 9-26 yo. A couple of vaccines and she wouldn't have gotten HPV.

November 15, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  17. Sarah

There is no cure for HPV and it infects half of everyone.

November 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Gus

There's no cure for HPV. There's a treatment to hide the effects, but this woman is infected for life. Good job, boyfriend.

November 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. JOUPA

ok great so you "had" hpv. fess up and say you got warts. "oh me cant do that who would want to sleep with me ever again. so ill just lie and spread it to everyone".

November 13, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  20. CM

The only thing I took from this story is that there's hope for me... I thought being a drunk in my 30s was a problem with the women, but apparently it just makes me more attractive to college-age tail. Sweet!

November 12, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jenna

i had hpv. i had genital warts. there is nothing that makes a girl feel dirtier than genital warts. anyone that would deprive their daughter or son of the vaccine isn't parental material.

November 12, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  22. michael ellis

THERE IS NO SURE FOR HPV SO WHEN SHE SAYS 'i HAD IT AND GOT IT TAKEN CARE OF" THAT IS BAD INFORMATION. SHE STILL HAS IT.

November 11, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  23. Capt

She got it off a tractor.

November 9, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. HB

This article bothers me. I can see some people's view on being glad someone is bringing attention to it, and it'd be one thing if she was saying "this is a very serious thing, please get checked, use protection..
    " etc., but she's not. She's said it's no big deal and she just went and had it taken care of. Why would she go out of her way to announce to the world she has an std and not use that opportunity to help educate people? What does that tell young people? That it's ok to get an std, no big deal? Something's wrong with her.

November 9, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Blossie

Another reason for the HPV vaccine for both males and females.

November 9, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Chris

there is no way that she can prove that it was her ex. sometimes women contract HPV from someone and it will be dormant in their system and it can also takes about 6 months for it to show up. After it is detected on a test, you have to go to the gyn every 6 months for 2 yrs to make sure your cervix does not have any lesions on it. If there are lesions they treat them. If there are no lesions, you just come back for your next exam. After awhile, HPV may not show up on your pap smears which was the case for me. And men can most certainly get tested for HPV by a urologist. They stick a q-tip in the penis and test the sample.

November 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Robin

Something I would have kept to myself.

November 9, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ahduhduh

Who is this big eyed, goofy looking woman and why should we care what STD she gets? You don't see Paris Hilton running around bragging about her herpes.

November 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Michelle

Is there treatment, or is it like herpes?

November 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Danny

I'd still hit it raw...hehe

November 8, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  31. Tracie1216

So did I read correctly when she said she HAD HPV...last time I knew there was no cure for it...once you have it, you have it for life...DUH

November 8, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  32. Peeps85

I've been seeing a homeopathic D.O. for years and it IS impossible to overdose on homeopathic medicine. This journalist needs to do his homework a little better. Besides, I don't think I needed to know all of this about Alexa.

November 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. nixliberals

This article is totally ridiculous!!! There is no way to "just go and take care of it, that's it." There is no there there. You cannot get rid of this virus once infected. I also have it and have checked repeatedly over the years and STILL no cure. I have also had two children since, thankfully they were not infected in the womb or birth canal. They will, however, get the immunizations upon puberty. Just another biased article long on fluff and short on FACTS.

November 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Amy

Ummmmmmmmm...you don't go and get it taken care of. You have it for the rest of your life. I have it, I should know. She's a moron.

November 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Seriously

So 70-80% of the population has HPV but doesn't show any signs of infection. Not sure why everyone is making such a big deal about "he gave it to me, she gave it to me, she's nasty." All those of you saying that probably already have it as well.

November 3, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  36. havg

Whoa real classy gal!

November 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jean

“I was wanting to help him with his drinking and various things and a lot of women do that, particularly with older troubled men.."

You mean you were REALLY wanting to help your father?

November 2, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  38. Mike

OK. So?

Why do you feel the need to discuss this in public?

November 2, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  39. Leslie

I had to snicker at her comment that he wasn't cheating, I mean afterall, – they were living together and she saw him everyday. Uhhhh – okay – sure – that's a sure-fire way to know he's not cheating. What a hoot!

November 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Barry

she is wrong when she says “There are no side effects. You just go and get it taken care of.” You can get cervical cancer as a woman as a consequence of this. It is good she is speaking about it. About 35-45% I believe of adults in the US have HPV (whether they know it or not). It is very common and people can pass it without even knowing they have it.

November 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  41. john

SLOW NEWS DAY?

November 1, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  42. JS

guys can't be tested for HPV so it's impossible to know exactly who she got it from, unless of course he was her first and only partner. and you can't get HPV "taken care of." At least not at the doctor. It either heals itself over a couple years (most common) or It never goes away. Once you have it, it can lie dormant in your system for many many years. But there's no treatment for it. You can treat some of the changes it causes (dysplasia, cervical cancer), but you can't treat the actual virus. She should make sure she has her facts straight before she goes out talking about this in public.

November 1, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  43. DeathToAmeriwh0res

Good! Hopefully more Ameriwh0res will get the disease. Maybe then they'll stop spreading their legs like cheap wh0res.

November 1, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  44. dew

You people are brutal. First, I think you have to be crazy to not see Alexa as really beautiful. I met her a couple of times and not only is she hot, but she is really sweet. And her ex-beau - he was a pretty good guy. She has a boatload of talent (so does her ex.).

October 31, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  45. red

Unless this is the only man she has had intercourse with , she probably already had it

October 31, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Maureen Brull

What a trash bucket. Isn't there ANYTHING private in this world?

October 31, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Ozzi

Most people didn't think much of HPV as an STD about ten years ago. It was always gonorrhea, syphilis and AIDS that people were most concerned about. Now the HPV is being linked more and more to cancer that folks are getting worried. But getting angry at people that don't realize they have it doesn't help. Men need to be tested not only for HPV but for chlamydia too! It can save their lives as well.

October 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Sara

There used to be some level of privacy in relationships. It's actually sad that she would choose to share this information publicly when it affects two people, not just one.

October 31, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  49. SophieCat

White girls are so NASTY.

October 31, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • PastySkins

They're the predominant race involved in weird p0.rn like besti@lity.

November 1, 2011 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  50. jaintn

She needs to shut up. I detest these performers who reveal everything about themselves just to get their name in print. If there isn't enough talent there, or enough buzz about them, they decide to "reveal" they've got an eating disorder, drug or drinking problem, been abused, etc., and it usually coincides with an album coming out or a new show or movie they've done. It's pathetic and it's gross.

October 31, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  51. geeky

"And her recent interview with xoJane.com is no exception."
    "Blah blah blah is and blah is no exception." This is how 99% of half-@zzed high school essays start, and if I were a high school English teacher, I would lower the grade by a full letter if one of my students ever started a paper that way. Not only is it lazy and unimaginative, but it's also a sentence fragment. Seriously, where do they find these writers?

October 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  52. 30307

For the record, once you contract HPV, you will ALWAYS have it - there is no cure. Also, many people have HPV but are asymptomatic (never have outbreaks) so they are unaware that they transmit the disease to their partners. Lastly, there is no test for HPV - the only way you know for sure that you have it is if you show symptoms.

October 30, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • G

This is incorrect information. HPV appears to clear on its own in 2 years in 90% of cases. Whether or not it is actually "cured" is irrelevant; persistent cases of HPV (i.e., infection at detectable levels) are the ones that generally are found to cause cancer or other types of cell abnormalities. The vast majority of infected individuals do not show symptoms– even those that are infected with strains that cause genital warts. Strains that cause genital warts do NOT cause cancer. Finally, there is a test for HPV, currently only commercially available for women. It's generally not offered during regular Pap tests because of prohibitive costs and the unlikelihood of HPV detection in newly-infected individuals. HPV DNA testing is usually offered after one or two abnormal Pap test results, depending on age, medical history, etc., and can detect among high-risk (cancer causing) or low-risk (genital warts) strains. Testing isn't currently offered for men because of problems with test sites and accuracy in detecting HPV DNA in samples.

October 30, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  53. herr petrus

HOMEOPATHIC OVERDOSE???

HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !! some writer has a good sense of humor.

October 30, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  54. JBoston

HPV should be discussed openly to keep people aware and safe. Alexa even quoted this on her Facebook page:

"This is a huge issue which I was recently asked about in a live interview– and I wanted to take the opportunity to shed some light on it in the most effective and honest way I possibly could."

October 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  55. BL

Her mom was one of the most beautiful women in the world and she got Billy Joel's looks. That's irony.

October 29, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  56. paradox

I think that everyone making posts here has an STD....those making condemning remarks about her morality are small minded hypocrits. Age differences mean nothing except to people who live by stereotypes. There is no determining who gave what to whom. Grow up!

October 29, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  57. Sunstarz

At least she didn't get Aids

October 29, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  58. cosmicsnoop

Dating someone just shy of being twice her age? Someone has daddy issues. I think HPV is the least of her worries.

October 29, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  59. Jaybird

I can't believe people even hook up in this disease ridden climate. It's a mine field out there!

October 29, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  60. jill

HPV doesn't go away, it's a virus...but you can have kids, get married, stay on top of your health with check ups.

October 29, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  61. Bob Smith

I know it's not what is meant, but the sentence "Joel was 19 when her ex, then 34, started dating" actually means that her ex started dating when he was 34. A little old to start, I would thihk. It should say: "Joel was 19 and her ex, 34, when they started dating."

October 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JeanneLH

Will anyone ever look at her with out thinking STD?
    TMI, girl.

October 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Cathy

If she's going to make public statements about HPV, she should be more careful what she says. It isn't something that "has no side effects" that you can just go and "get taken care of." Cervical cancer is a pretty serious potential side effect, and there is there is no treatment the doctor can give you to cure the virus (although the symptoms can be treated and it often clears on it its own). I'm happy this person did not suffer any of the more negative results of HPV, but as a public person, she should be careful to get her facts straight before speaking publicly on an important public health topic.

It is also odd that she singles out this guy for giving her HPV. HPV is SO common. Bizarre all around.

October 28, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • MomX3

Thank you – finally someone who knows the facts about HPV. This is NOT something that can be cured. There is no Cure! There are however, many SERIOUS side effects, unlike what Miss Joel stated, including genital warts and cervical cancer, which left untreated can lead to not being able to have children and death. Theses are serious to me. Although it can go into remission at which point there will be no side effects or symptoms, it can always flare up, especially during stressful times or body changes, like pregnancy. Alexis is very young, so she still has a lot of change that could take place. This is something that lives in your body forever. Women must get their yearly exams to ensure they do not contract cervical cancer. Although it is very common and many people have HPV, it should not be taken lightly and should not be looked at as something like "the common cold of STD's". Good luck to Alexis and all the men and women who have HPV.

November 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Nancy

Why is this even news? HPV is the STD equivalent of the common cold, something like 70% of adults will get it in their lifetime.

October 28, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  65. shes an idiiot

homeopathic overdose? isn't that just eating too many herbs? soooo what? she got sick for a couple days? wow, her life sure does suck

October 28, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • pammyg

Sooooo glad to hear someone finally comment on the supposed homeopathic overdose! For those naysayers who think homeopathics are nothing but sugar pills, how could she have possibly overdosed? News flash Alexa, -- not possible to overdose on homeopathics for suicidal purposes.
      Alexa, spend some money on a cultural tutor. You don't need surgery to improve your looks, nor psychiatry. You need some CLASS!

October 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  66. gross

19 and 34? Ewwwww so that pedo is just going around giving HPV to teens? Euthanasia seems appropriate.

October 28, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  67. purnellmeagrejr

ethel – I always thought getting her dad's looks was one of those cruel ironies.

October 28, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  68. purnellmeagrejr

I wonder if this woman has her mother's musical talent – she's certainly got her father's looks.

October 28, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  69. Jayla

Nineteen year-olds should not be living with 34 year-olds and 34-year olds should not be going around giving everybody the HPV virus. Now that he knows he has it, he should stop giving it to everyone. And I hope this young lady will stop sleeping around with crap like that and find a nice young man her own age.

October 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • yup

I agree. The man she was with is a disgusting pervert. Get someone your own age!

October 28, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  70. by the way

there is no cure, you stupid

October 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  71. what goes around

the best way to deal with this is do what the guy who gave it to you did – pretend that you don't have it. that's what the girl who gave it to me did!

October 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  72. margaret

why would you admit to such personal information to the public..shut up alexa, your such a silly woman

October 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  73. nonyah

Sandi, you're wrong. homeopathic "medicine" is chemically indistinguishable from water. Its totally pointless and a waste of money. It's like a tax on stupid people...people like you sandi

October 27, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Eww

Sick Freak society. Maybe Tiger Woods should marry her.

October 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Sick

Ewwwwwwwwww...... Time for NEW WORLD ORDER!!!

October 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  76. smc

We need to end this ridiculous HPV as a "STD" thing started by big pharmaceutical companies wanting to cash in. Most people probably already have HPV and don't know it, the "vaccines" (with an unknown efficacy duration) only prevent a few strains. The virus will not kill you, obviously warts are never a good thing, but it is unclear at best if current vaccines do much reduce cancer rates vs. harm caused by side effects, plus you're still expected to get regular pap smears.

October 27, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  77. Jennifer

Good for you sharing, Alexa. The husband of my doctor's daughter killed her by giving her HPV which led directly to her death by cancer. The same man gave HPV to his second wife who also got cancer that he caused. The last I heard, she was still alive.

October 26, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  78. montyhp

Isn't Homeopathy the nonsense where you use very diluted or trace amounts to treat ailments? So is an overdose just a regular dose? All seems kind of ridiculous to me. (By the way, Wikipedia says that homeopathy has been scientifically shown to be no different than placebo)

October 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Epi Pen

LOL! She had it? There is no cure for it, nasty chick!

October 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Domenic

"...homeopathic overdose" this writer has no clue about homeopathy nor what it can and and can not do. There is no such thing as homeopathic overdose. You need to research your facts accurately before you present them to a well read public through this platform.

October 26, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • ADiff

"Homeopathic overdose" = took nothing. Homeopathy is based on decreasing amounts of an 'active' ingredient causing increasing effect....yes, that's right: the less you take the greater the effect. So a Homeopathic overdose would mean a person took way, way too little of the 'medicine'. That's beside the point that at homeopathic dilutions it's pretty certain that not a single molecule of whatever the active ingredient is remains anyway..... Stupid and ill-informed isn't covered by attractive. wealthy and 'famous'...not by a long-shot.

October 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  81. cbbbb

HPV isn't curable. I like how she "had it," but still has it, and has given it to her current boyfriend!

October 26, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • LA

I was going to say the same thing. You don't get that "taken care of." Her ignorance is frightening.

October 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • nonyah

It's not cureable, but in most cases, the immune system clears it out of the body in a couple years. When it doesnt get cleared, thats when you get dysplasia

October 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ

HPV isn't curable, and her saying that she got it from her ex could be untrue as well. HPV can remain hidden within someone for years, so unless she was a virgin when she slept with her ex, then there's no telling who gave it to whom.

October 27, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yep

Nonyah you are correct, while there is no cure, your body naturally cleans the virus from your system, so in essence your body is the cure!

October 28, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  82. Vivian

I dnt blame u lopez bcos u re a disappointment 2 ur family

October 25, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  83. art vandolay

Well, all she had to do was get a little shot in the arm for a vaccine for HPV. Now she can worry about getting cancer the rest of her life due to this poor decision not to get the innoculation. Lesson learned, have your children get the HPV caccine shot. This is not just a simple STD. This one can turn into cancer and death. Its a BIG deal and easy deal to protect yourself and kids against.

October 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • smc

Lots of false info. The "vaccine" doesn't begin to prevent all forms of HPV, and it's multiple shots, not a little one. HPV rarely turns into cancer, and the incidence of serious side effects from the vaccine approach the cancer rate. You still need to get regular pap smears which can catch the cancer when it's often treatable. Acting like "all she had to do was get a little shot" is just falling for big pharmaceutical ads without knowing the facts.

October 27, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • LivingWithIt

Had the HPV vaccine in 2007. Diagnosed with HPV in 2009. Had one monogamous partner throughout and to this day. Don't know if I caught it from him or if I caught it previous to 2007 and it didn't manifest. Dealing with it. Some extra testing and Paps, but not a huge deal so far. Good for Alexa; I had classes with her at NYU. Other than missing/being late a lot, she seemed like a good kid.

November 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  84. carrieanne

Am I the only 1 who thinks that there is something wrong with people thinking that getting a STD is no big deal? I do agree that her announcement will probably make other girls less ashamed but doesnt it bother anyone else that its "no big deal" anymore?

October 25, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim Lister

What do you want her to do, wear a scarlet letter? STDs have been around since people have been around, and part of the reason they've stayed so out of control is because people were (and still are sometimes) ashamed to admit they have them. So no, it doesn't bother me that it's "no big deal" to talk about them or tell people that you have one. After all if you look back through history there's probably more people that have had one than haven't.

November 16, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  85. sandi2

People CAN overdose on homeopathics, you idiot. educate yourself, stupid tool

October 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  86. ETHEL MERMAN

Oh dear, her Dad's looks and her Mom's brains. At least her singing voice is her own.

October 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Vera Haslip

Alexa Ray lots of men have brought back STDs to their women that's why they're called exes they go on with their lives,they hopefully make better choices.Six years later they don't blast out on the guy on the internet,that's crazy you said you have a boyfriend now,after this I wonder how long he'll stick around.

October 25, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Ella

I get why she would tell people she had it. It's a real thing and even rich and famous people can get it. It's not like she slept around and was irresponsible. She got it from a boyfriend who slept around and was irresponsible. I think it's great she told people. She shouldn't be ashamed since she didn't do anything wrong.

October 25, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Tracy Lewis

I'm going to make appointments for both my boys to be vaccinated,it is easier to find out if you sons are s@xually active than it is if you have girls,if their dads asks they'll probably tell him the truth. Therefore mine will be at the doctors' office soon.

October 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill the Cat

And you will continue to feed Merck's pockets. How about teaching them the value of their virginity and how their spouse deserves their best, not sloppy seconds.

November 7, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  90. Pam Jackson

REPLY to "G" who replied to me

If men can be infected with HPV in multiple areas on the body, then EVERY area of the body should be tested on men–no excuses. There is no excuse to NOT test men for HPV, no matter how much of an inconvenience it is for the male.
    The bigger inconvenience is getting a hysterectomy and dying from cancer. But since that only happens to women, that explains the excuses and footdragging with an HPV test for men. But the moment HPV begins to cause penis cancer, an HPV test will be on the market within 3 days.

October 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sushi Sushi

So true! So very true!

October 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadajeff

umm, get some education....learn some facts: Each year in the US, 400 men get HPV-associated penile cancer, 1500 men get HPV anal cancer, and 5600 men get HPV-associated throat cancer for getting all oral on their infected partners. don't just blame the men for this....that's just silly and militant-lesbeen of you.

October 27, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • DownWithHPV

Re-read what G said...it isn't about an "inconvenience",it's about if you don't know exactly where something is going to manifest itself,you can't make an accurate diagnosis about whether or not it is there,or if you've cured it. What is the point in testing someone for something if you're not 100% sure exactly where you'll find it?

October 27, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Zorak

And how about that faked Moon landing?

October 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • PU**Y OR C**K BOTH LETHAL

HPV IS A 2 WAY STREET .... INFECTS MEN AND WOMAN ... IT'S IN THE AIR ... IT'S A VIRUS ... AND SHE DIDN'T GET RID OF IT . ... NO CURE FOR VIRUSES ... MUTUAL CANCER POTENTIAL .. GOING DOWN !

November 1, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Pam Jackson

This is why companies must create an HPV Test for Men. That is basic common sense.
    Comanies like Qiagen, Digene & Merck have created HPV tests for women & even HPV vaccines; but there MUST be a way for men to get tested for HPV. Not having an HPV test for men is like the world not having an HIV test for men–just plain ridiculous.

October 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • G

There are several methods to test for HPV in men; however, testing is currently only done in research. Although the same methods used to test in women can technically be used for men, there isn't much consensus on the best anatomical site to test for the virus. In women, obviously you examine the cervix, but HPV can infect multiple sites in men and yet be absent in other areas; there is no one "foolproof" way to test for it, and so it hasn't been widely implemented. Obviously it would be a major problem to tell a male patient that he tested negative for HPV if there's a good chance he still has the virus and could pass it on.

October 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  92. sandi2

holy crap are people mean on this site.

Alexa you are a doll, but you need to get through the co-dependency you are stuck in. Go to Portland,Oregon, be a regular person, and meet a man who has no idea who you are and likes you for YOU

October 25, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ozzi

That's a silly thing to say to someone. She is who she is and she's always going to be the daughter of Billy Joel. It's better she learns how to deal with it rather than run off, hide and hope no one notices.

October 31, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Allison

Yeah, Alexa, I know what it's like to try and fix an older, troubled, man. But there's no fixing them, they're set in their ways. I'm glad you've moved on and you're bettering yourself. He never will. My older-fixer-uper never did.

October 25, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

So true! I broke up with my boyfriend who was 41 and I am 24. BEST DECISION EVER. He had already been divorced, has a 14 year old, and his ex wife works for his restaurant. Never again. Old men are too set in their ways, they are settled into a dull comfortable life.

November 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  94. boocat

Do we really need to know this?

October 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  95. chantal

eeeerk errrrr errrrrrrrrr Im a rooster chicken poooock pooook

October 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  96. @tracie

Please dont ever stop ! You are funny and awesome and have the best jokes ever. They are just jealous cause they arent as funny as you. TRACIE RULES !

October 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  97. elmo von boggins

I LOVE THE TRAIN. CHOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOO !

October 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  98. tracie

my husband is my publicist

October 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jeepers

Holy sh.....! She needs to have a publicist sitting right next to her before she opens her mouth.

October 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Lucy

Why on earth would she let this be known? Is she that desperate for attention that she would slam her ex for that? Her mother owns half of the Hamptons, she will never have to worry about anything. She and Alexis Stewart are cut from the same cloth.

October 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • sasha

I don't see why its that hard to imagine. The HPV vaccine has been on topic lately and the fact that boys can infect girls with it, this is just an extention showing that yes, you can get it from a guy and logically vaccinations will reduce the amount of women that would end up infected. Because like she saids its not a big deal...usually but it can lead to cervical cancer if not treated.

October 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

@Lucy; I don't think it is wrong to tell others about this stuff. It's better to be open and especially for young girls who may get it because it would alleviate some of the shame and hurt that comes with. If young girls feel that they're not alone, it could help them cope with it. It takes a lot of guts to admit something like this knowing she is going to get a lot of greif but I think in the long run, it's cool that she did. The more open we are about it the less others will feel like its a death sentence for remaining alone and that's a tough way to think when you're only 15 years old. It's not that big of a deal to get HPV or HSV anymore and it shouldn't be.

October 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ldean

I was raped in 1991 and got HPV. I was only 33, but I never dated, never married and never even kissed a guy after that trauma. The rape was horrible, but easier to hide. I could never tell anyone I had HPV – so I didn't. THAT's why Ms. Joel should be thanked for having the courage to come out about HPV. The hardest part was knowing I would never marry and never had children – shame is a powerful thing. Thank you Ms. Joel for talking about it out in the open.

October 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • stigma

More people need to talk about it. I have it and feel ashamed. I feel like it has ruined my life.

I met my dream girl who I had known and been friends with for years. Finally one thanksgiving we were spending a romantic night in sedona. The stage was set and we were both ready. I could have had a lasting fulfilling relationship with this girl. But when she asked me if I was ready... I told her not yet. And I lost the girl. Now she's dating someone else.

This same thing has happened with a couple other girls I've been interested in. I can't have sx with them because I won't infect them. And I'm ashamed to say anything. I am a total loser now when it comes to love. I feel like I will never be able to love again. I'm so lonely. I feel like my biological purpose in life has been taken away.

Please parents, please vaccinate your children so they don't have to go through this anguish that I am. Let them live a normal, happy, healthy life.

More people need to talk about hpv so it isn't so stigmatized. Someone without it would just not understand what you go through, hence lucy's comment.

October 27, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • TLP

She's letting it be known because SHE has nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. Perhaps YOU, Lucy, should go bury your head in the sand, so you don't have to be exposed to unpleasant facts of life. (What a BEEYOTCH).

October 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • edgy33

No Lucy, the point is, do you know how you get HPV? THAT is why you ask, why would she brag about it. Incidentally, it's not as she said, "You just go and get it taken care of". It is the leading cause of a whole wave of oral cancers.

November 8, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • lacey

at least she didnt end up like chaz bono

November 11, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Specter

She was not making a public service announcement. That was a crack at her ex. Nothing harder than a first love...... Fool, spend a little more time on this planet. There are plenty things that are fast more devastating and painful than breaking up with your first love. moron

November 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Big Truck

HONK HONK!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Evel Knievel

Her dad wrote a song about this, "Downtown Chick/She's been looking for the free clinic/She's spreading those genital warts/Running wild out of her pretty shorts"

October 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  103. beanDip

It's all good til someone gets it in the eye..

October 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Ozzi

Been watching Dr. Phil, Otis?

October 31, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  105. smooth deuce

Yeah dude, that was always my fav Billy tune. Well, either that and "scalding hot pipe in the poot shoot."

"Scalding hot pipe in the poop shoot/she's been looking for a downtown man/dick ecxzyma infecting her open wounds/That's what I am"

classic stuff man