Problems mount for 'Walking Dead' survivors
October 24th, 2011

Problems mount for 'Walking Dead' survivors

"Walking Dead" creator Robert Kirkman has always made it clear that the series (and comic book on which it's based) is not really about the zombies but about human drama, and the danger that humans can pose to each other.

We saw a quite literal example of that in Sunday night's episode, where very few of the problems faced by the survivors were directly connected to the walkers.

First and foremost, Rick was able to find a nearby farm to see to Carl, who had been accidentally shot by a hunter (who then volunteered to head out to an abandoned school with Shane for medical supplies).

Meanwhile, back on the highway, T-Dog continued to suffer from an (non-walker-related) injury, only for Daryl to come to the rescue with a bag full of drugs.

Still, we had one of the most chilling walker scenes in the history of the series, as Andrea was unexpectedly attacked by one in the woods, only to be saved by someone from the farm on horseback. On the other hand, this certainly won't help matters, as Andrea is already pondering a split from the group.

The episode ended with a great cliffhanger as well, with Shane and the hunter (cannon fodder?) cornered by walkers behind a gate.

There were complaints last week from fans that the pacing was too slow and there weren't enough zombies (despite 7 million tuning in, a record for a cable drama). I'm pretty sure that this episode won't stop that criticism.

As for me, I've found that I care about the characters even more than I did last season, and I'm still enjoying every minute of the show. But it seems we'll be spending lots of time on the farm this time around, and it remains to be seen if that will continue to make for a compelling story or not.

Were there enough zombies for you this week (or were you too gripped by the story to notice)? Do you like the direction this season is headed in so far? Post your iReport or comment below.

1. Stephen

Enjoying the show, (alot). But that doctor could be alittle more grateful. Asking the dad deputy to kinda "move on, after the boy's feeling better?". I mean, he going to take on the hoards himself, when they come?

November 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Stephen

But, I also feel the characters are over intense, "too emotional". And too happy? This is a post world-world? No future, no working factories, no dare I say it, products. Life must suck, not to mention their grizzley new reality.

November 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stephen

No, I like the "suspense" of not seeing the ghouls. But my question is, what makes the survivors staying that the surgeon's house so confident and relaxed? They don't seem worried about the zombies beseiging them there?

November 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ZOMBIES ROCK!

This show is awsome i love it honestly when it comes to zombie movies they end to soon without showing what happens to our race this show is going in depth and i sat and watched the whole first season on the weekend its a hot show.

October 27, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. zombie girrrrrl

I like it just like it is. It is wonderful and awesome with characters you care about. I like everyone on there.

October 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. blah

why isnt shane dead yet? if they stuck to the comics he would be

and rick is british so that could be why his southern accent really shows through...he could be trying to hard to hide his own

also why is andrea such a whiney b**ch...she was a badass in the comics and can barely tie her shoes on the show...they need to bring michonnie (dont know if thats how its spelled) on already...she would kick everyones ass and makes darryl look like elmo

October 24, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeremiah

October 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jeremiah David

Watch Laugh Subscribe!! JeremiahDavidChannel on YouTube!!! https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/pbAQfSa4WyY

October 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. lavonya

Plus I know to be quiet when the walkers are around. The ladies on the show are mostly all emotional and talk and get scared. Not me. Id help out and be brave. But then Im a sister and not some spoiled pampered white girl.

October 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lavonya

Why comes most of the zombies are us black folk and most of the survivors are white. Now there is just 1 brother and no sisters on there. I think id be a survivor. I know how to do stuff and everything. I can catch catfish and make a trot line and cook and scavenge. I could help out. Plus I am nice and wouldnt be whining about everything.

October 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. therbert

Rick sure keeps giving them bad advice. They need to let Shane go back to being their leader. With Daryl as his sidekick.

October 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. astrid

I really like Shane and Dwayne, but Rick keeps getting them into trouble. They need to stop listening to his advice. He is kind of a dummy.

October 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. terra jones

My question is if the time portal is only 1 way, how do they get messages to the future. Also why are there just dinosaurs and people in the past but no zombies? Its just so confusing.

October 24, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chineese boy

The chineese boy that said he is korean is pretty smart. They should listen to what he has to say more often.

October 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. amanda

It was. He said it like sii yuuuh tiist. I wonder if everyone from the south really talks like that?

October 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Derrick

I agree with you Alabama dude. The comics are much better. More graphic like. When Darryl develops a crush on a zombie biker chick I almost fell on the floor. That was way out of character. Do you think they will show this on the tv series?

October 24, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Alabama Man

The comic books, or graphic novels as tards call them, are much better. They have more of a friendly Harry Potter tone. The zombies even help the survivors. The comics are far more realistic.

October 24, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Alabama Man

If Lori was my wife Id tell her to quit being so whiny and cook me some bacon.

October 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. xdougx

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

This show is so boring.

October 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Spidey-Man

I love the show. That flashback was totally unnecesary though. One of the problems when you hire random writers who want to put their spin on things that are already structured. If it were Lori dreaming it would have been different. Maybe. The books go forward. Never looked back. That was a waste of time.

October 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. loJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EKjzxWMtcc&w=640&h=390]

October 24, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. charlotte

Do you think the 1 handed guy will show up again? Darryls Brother? I bet he will try to get them if he ever sees any of them again. The black haired lady is kind of a pain. I dont see why the 2 deputies like her so much.

October 24, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Spidey-Man

Black haired lady... You mean Rick's wife? Carl's Mom? Could be why Rick "likes" her. Andrea (the blond) is the pain.

October 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ?!

They (shane and rick) are starting to talkin southern ..at the doctor's house. did they always talk like that? i dont think so. w tf?!

October 24, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I noticed that too. I mean they are southern I guess but I don't remember them sounding sooo southern last season. Particularly when Rick was on the walkie at the beginning and he said "scientist". He made it sound like some foreign word he'd never said or heard before. It was kind of Forrest Gump like.

October 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. nancy

Plus with 2012 coming up. This might be how the world ends. It wouldnt hurt to stock up on a few things. I planted fruit trees years ago so we would at least have apples, peaches, and plums.

October 24, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  25. jessica

I wish there were more zombies IRL. It would be a good excuse to sleep in if your house was safe. We really might want to stock up on some nails and wood planks for windows. Also some jugs of water and canned goods. You can never tell.

October 24, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  26. Happy Cow

mooooo : ) This is a great show. They are eating people instead of us happy cows ! : ) mooooo : )

October 24, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  27. be quiet

Just when you thought Lori couldn't get more ridiculous and annoying, she tops herself yet again. Do they write her character like that much of an idiot on purpose?

Going through the things in the abandoned cars..."I have a problem with this, this is someone's grave!" Umm, 1,000 zombies are about to bite your head off...you grab stuff or you die.

Rudely questioning the doctor operating on her son...let's see, do you realize the world is ending and you should be happy you at least have him there to help, otherwise your son will surely die?

I hope the season finale involves her getting her head bitten off.

October 24, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • mara

Thank you. Lori is annoying. Not like you have much of a choice unless you intend on operating on him yourself.

October 24, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Beautiful Vixen

I thought last night the zombies were moving faster at the end (at the school). Maybe because they were hungry.

October 24, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  29. emily

I liked their cool machetes. One they were using is called The Woodsmans Pal. Its the one Darryl used. I wonder what happened to Larry and the other Darryl ?

October 24, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  30. Zombie 2

PS – Im glad the boy didnt die. I bet his mom would have had a duck fit !

October 24, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Junkpile

It looked like he dies in the clip they showed on talking with the dead which came on after the second showing of the new episode.

October 24, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Zombie 2

Hi Peace. Happy Monday. I need to try American Horror Story. THX for recommending it. I set the DVR up to record GRIMM. It may not be too good, but wont hurt to try it. The Walking Dead sure is good. Its nice there is a good sized following. Maybe it will get to stay on the air for a while !

October 24, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  32. Dark Helmet

Is it me, or are the zombies moving faster this season compared to last season? Any explanation for that?

October 24, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  33. Thorne

As a fan of the graphic novels, I think the pacing is just right. Kirkman's vision is being realized. It really isn't about the zombies. It's about dystopia and what it means to be human.
    On another note... how awesome is Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon? I at first was not sold on this additional character. I was wrong. Very. Very. Wrong. It isn't just that Daryl gets some great lines (the zen or Clap line from last night are just two examples) but the timing is also fantastic.

October 24, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  34. Peace

Hey zombie 2, you out there? Are you, also, watching American Horror Story?

October 24, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  35. Reality Check

It's amazing that someone thinks they have to recap a show that was on less than 12 hours ago.

October 24, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Jordan

Reality Check, that's their job, to RECAP...omfg.

Thorne, I totally agree with you about the show. I haven't read the novels yet but I've read enough about them to get the plot points and I am going to read them as well. Norman Reedus is seriously awesome as Daryl, everything you said is dead on except the "shut up" line was just such a classic.

October 24, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Reality Check

So, I take it you're so stupid that you need every movie or TV show explained to you right after you watched it?

October 24, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Pee Wee Morris

Reality Check...you are missing the point of the article. It isn't that anyone NEEDS someone else to explain the episode. It's a recap that opens up comments in the event people want to discuss the show, adding their opinions and thoughts. Why bother to respond unless it's to put down others. You must be a hoot at a party...buzz kill.

October 24, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Riem

Stupidity is your OP reality check.
      i use recaps either for the discussions or because i happen to miss the episode and would love to know what happened..
      Gees could you be anyless judgmental.

October 25, 2011 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |