Zombie king George Romero passed on 'The Walking Dead'
October 21st, 2011

Zombie king George Romero passed on 'The Walking Dead'

"The Walking Dead" may receive monster ratings,  but “Dawn of the Dead” director George Romero isn't among the viewers.

“I love the books,” Romero told io9, but he admits he hasn’t seen the AMC series. “I've been waiting to see the whole first season, which I missed because I've been traveling.”

As the creator of the zombie genre, Romero was asked to participate on the show, but he opted to pass.

“Producers called and said, ‘do you want to direct some of these,’ and I said no,” Romero reveals. “Because I just didn't think it was me.” He notes, “my zombies are sort of my own.”

He's also a little busy. Romero, 71, is working on a screenplay for “The Zombie Autopsies.”

"The Godfather of all Zombies" is surprised by all the zombie-themed fare these days. “This whole zombie revolution, it's unbelievable,” he says of the current pop culture phenomena. “They're popular enough that I half expect a zombie to show up on 'Sesame Street' and hang out with The Count. Vampires became The Count on 'Sesame Street,' a zombie might be the next guy.” Why not?

1. Abumbcharlotte

I'm sure the best for you coach 2010 , for special offer for less

February 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. teddy

I finally watched the walking dead. IMO, it' s a bit boring. As for the 1st episode, out of all the people in the hospital, how did that one cop be the only guy not killed?

Pretty far fetched to me...

October 24, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ujustgotserved

I hear he's the most interesting man in the world.

October 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EKjzxWMtcc&w=640&h=390]

October 24, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fixer2010

Although I agree that Romero is the Godfather of Zombies, his perspective on the zombie is outdated. Even the last Zombie movie he did, did not stack up to his legacy....

October 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sarah

The W alking Dead is the best show.Anyone can die,so the surprise is always there

October 22, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. NJON613

sure... I guess we're all sick of vampires... but I just don't get the horror thing. especially slasher movies. just cr@p, really.

October 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

the whole "vampire" thing ended with me when Buffy was cancelled. Twilight makes me wanna puke...

October 24, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brandt Hardin

I'm glad he didn't sign on with the series. Even though Romero is the Godfather of Zombies, we needed a fresh take on the genre which the show is providing. If you like (or loathe) zombies as much as I do, check out the Top 10 Zombie Movies of all time at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/05/top-10-zombie-movies-of-all-time-with.html and let us know which your favorites are!

October 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jeff

It is pretty good for a tv show.

October 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. karate' girrrl

WOO I love books and movies about zombies. Plus The Walking Dead is a really good show. I never miss it. To me it is the best show on tv right now. It really is pretty good.

October 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fixer2010

I agree whole-heartedly! Last nights epi was fantastic. :)

October 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tha Chikin

YEEEAAH BABEH!! Hands down!

I am like a crack head foaming at the mouth for the next episode!

October 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |