Cringe-worthy moments on 'Grey's'
October 21st, 2011

Cringe-worthy moments on 'Grey's'

Last night's episode, aptly titled "Poker Face" (and not Lady Gaga's), was all about masks, disguises and putting up walls.

Meredith and Derek have thrown themselves into their work, yet promised one another that they will not discuss work at home. Meredith - in pink scrubs! - is doing a rotation in obstetrics, which Cristina sensitively refers to as "slumming it" with "The Vagina Squad."

After telling Meredith that the idea of her dear friend becoming an OB/GYN makes her "nauseous," she shrieks, "We have standards, Meredith!" Cristina further fuels the fire upon learning that Meredith is involved with the clinical trial by saying, "you're wasting your fifth year playing around with vaginas and mice."

What looks like a standard, stereotypical TV childbirth scene - cue grunting woman who's probably demanding ice chips (Don't people just say "ice"? Why do they always say "ice chips" on TV?) and bumbling dad with video camera - turns out to have a classic "Grey's" twist.

The mother has an inoperable brain tumor and just six months to live. Inoperable.... Unless... Derek Shepherd's in the house! Derek makes it all better, and in the process gets his "I'm not challenged enough anymore" groove back.

Owen, in his new role as guy who has sex all over the hospital chief of surgery, schools the fifth year residents on how this year is their hardest because "every win" and "every loss" in the OR counts. Cristina sends him dirty text messages as he tells the gang they'll be hard-pressed to find fellowships next year if their names are attached to unsuccessful surgeries.

Callie, meanwhile, is busy feeling sorry for herself because her life sucks. And by sucks, she means that Mark and Arizona are basically waiting on her hand and foot, and cooking up gourmet meals like braised short ribs and maple ginger scones for her from scratch. And on top of all that she's a successful, in-demand surgeon with a perfect new baby girl. Yeah, sucks to be Callie.

Apparently her gripe with Mark is that because he's so lonely without a girlfriend, he's spending too much time with her and Arizona, and therefore she and Arizona aren't getting enough alone time. "Could be worse" is an understatement, considering what she went through just less than a year ago. (*Cough* Flying through a windshield. *Cough* Almost losing her baby. *Cough* Almost losing her life.)

Owen and Cristina are busy having, as Cristina calls it, "hot, dirty, stand on my head sex" in cringe-worthy places like the conference room and the on-call room. The cringe factor comes from the fact that disgraced, former chief of surgery Dr. Richard Webber keeps interrupting them (or they keep interrupting him?), reminding Richard that he's just a lowly general surgeon once again.

To add insult to injury, poor Richard has even been shut out of the islet cell clinical trial he initially spearheaded. (The poor mice have diabetes again! Say it isn't so!)

Of course, Cristina and Owen are using sex as a way to avoid talking about Cristina's abortion. You know, the one Owen desperately didn't want Cristina to have.

The fifth years are all busy scrambling for surgeries that will make them look good, and so they wind up disappointing their superiors. For example, Cristina takes her name off the spinal/neck rebuilding case that Callie hand-picked her for at the precise moment the surgery starts to go downhill so as to keep her record spotless.

When the operation turns out to be a major success, Callie tells her that she shouldn't err on the side of caution just to stay safe, because the reason Cristina's so admired for being a "badass" is because she takes "crazy risks in the OR."

Kepner finally (kinda sorta) takes charge of her role as chief resident and unleashes some pent up wrath, telling Meredith: “If you cross me, I will make your life a living hell. I will put you on call every night, I will assign you dumb interns and I will make sure that you get every exploding bowel and rotting limb that comes into this hospital." She similarly tells Karev, Lexie and Jackson: "Argue with me, and I'll take you off the OR board indefinitely." Go Kepner!

What did you think of last night's episode? Will Kepner retain the residents' R-E-S-P-E-C-T? Are Owen and Cristina headed for an abortion denial meltdown? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

Post by:
Filed under: Grey's Anatomy • television • TV recaps

1. Kayti

Grey's is still one of the best shows on tv. It is funny,serious, believable and not all at the same time. That is entertainment! It is still on because it is still that good. I hope it's on for many more seasons! I liked this last episode because we finally got some more screen time for Callie.

October 24, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. jb2817

Emergency was better than this crap.station 51 kmg 365

October 24, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeremiah David

Whats Really going on in the News. Be Informed Laugh Subscribe JeremiahDavidChannel on YouTube Watch now!!!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbAQfSa4WyY&w=640&h=390]

October 23, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JR

I totally agree with lylystyx. Greys is a fun escape from all the day to day crap. Until recently I hadn't watched one episode of GA, didn't even know it was on. Someone told me about it and I watched one episode and was totally hooked. I spent the rest of the summer catching up on Netflix before the new season started. I LOVED the musical episode and thought every song was perfect. I have to say I hated that George died and I really miss Izzie, but I other than that I wouldn't have changed one thing. So to soundoff and wait...what?, turn the freakin channel and shut up.

October 23, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Christy

I'm still lovin' it! But something's different, and not in a good way.

October 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kathy

All I have to say is that before the show goes off the air, or Patrick Dempsey goes off the show, Derek and Meredith had better get back together all happily ever after. They owe me!

October 23, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. lylystyx

I still <3 me some Greys and I'll happily watch whatever Shonda Rhimes imagination comes up with. For all the haters, theres a gazillion other channels – if I want reality I turn to CNN. Grey's is fun escapism and while not everyone's cup of tea, it quenched my entertainment thirst every time!

October 22, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • jeannebikini

You go lylystyx!!!! I agree. I LOVED the musical episode last year and have been happy with the episodes ever since. Shonda Rhimes is a wonderful, creative writer and I will continue to watch her shows!

October 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. wait...what?

They lost me after that ridiculous musical episode. Haven't been able to take any of it seriously since...not that it was easy to before that.

October 22, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. SAE

I still love it...quirky but still entertaining. I want Debbie Allen back!

October 22, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. OMG

Someone please explain why this show is still on?! It's worse than a daytime soap, and at least those have been pulled.

October 22, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

I love this show! I think that the writing is excellent, and I love the cast. I thought thursday's episode was awesome, I love that kepner has found her big girl voice. It's great!

October 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joseph

Quit trolling. You love the show! That's why you read the article and just HAD to comment. You are a closet Gray's Anatomy fan, admit it.

October 24, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

You beat me to the punch. I saw a commercial for it the other day and was amazed that it still exists.

October 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |